Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve voted #3 in top 100 PC games of all time by PC gamer readers.

Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Number 3 behind Fallout 3 and Half-life 2.

Top 5 were.

1. HL2

2. FO3

3. EvE

4. Dues Ex

5. TF2

Gratz CCP!

Read about it here

Playing: Rift, LotRO
Waiting on: GW2, BP

Comments

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Get out of town! That's allright!

To me, It say's alot that  "pc gamers" think highly of EVE.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Interesting. Yet only about 300k gamers actually play Eve where as 11 million people play WoW. 

Seems like alot of people like Eve on paper but not actually playing it. I for one love Eve on paper, sandbox, FFA PvP, real economy, but actually playing it is just boring...

Don't get me wrong, I hate WoW, yet it strikes me odd that Eve is voted so high yet so few actually plays it.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

lol the only 2 reason why there isnt 11 million playing is because player couldnt if they wanted to and learning curve is a lot higher then most game .a lot of player search for a week to get just the lore so imagine the rest .ccp is working on that tho!

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Yamota

Interesting. Yet only about 300k gamers actually play Eve where as 11 million people play WoW. 

Seems like alot of people like Eve on paper but not actually playing it. I for one love Eve on paper, sandbox, FFA PvP, real economy, but actually playing it is just boring...

Don't get me wrong, I hate WoW, yet it strikes me odd that Eve is voted so high yet so few actually plays it.

350k is a lot of freaking people also isnt PC gamer more of a NA/Euro type of site/mag?

Only about 5 million WoW players come from that area of the world and most of them don't bother reading websites or even follow videogames other than WoW.

Honestly im shocked a mmo even made the list at all.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

one player could be wrong!but the fact that eve is number 3 means there is a lot more to this game then meets the eye

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Say it really slow with me.

Quantity does not equal quality.

Why is this concept so difficult ?

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Top 5 were.

1. HL2... engine demo, ok game.

2. FO3... good game but #2? no.

3. EvE... couldn't stomach leaving space dock in the tutorial before I was bored so umm no.

4. Dues Ex... great niche game so not sure how it got #4.

5. TF2... TF had a lot of people by the balls for a long long time.  TF2 not so much.

Get the impression the games under consideration were preselected.

My top 5 based on how immersed I was at the time...

1. BG2

2. EQ

3. Quake II

4. UO

5. WC4

Honourable mention to most Bioware RPGs and Jane's sims, RIP.

• adoloadolo Member Posts: 66

I really, really... REALLY wanted to like EVE, in fact I wanted to fall in love, get married and hear the pitter-patter of little EVEs. I tried and tried but just couldn't get into it and quit after just under 3 months. I was so angry that I failed to understand all the in's and out's of EVE and couldn't figure out the finer details. I still think about EVE all the time, wonder where I went wrong. It's like reminiscing on my youth and the hottest girl I ever dated and being angry that she didn't have any aspirations to do more with her life with all the possibilities right there in front of her, no college, no real job, couldn't hold a conversation, and was basically just arm candy hottness that came by the dozen in a box that you threw away after you were done trying all the flavors only to realize you did it all wrong from day one... If only I knew more about her features, options and systems I could have made it work.. BAH.. Damn you EVE *tear* I wanted to love you... 

Saddened...

Jules: You know the shows on TV?
    Vincent: I don't watch TV.
    Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

• EnerlaEnerla Member Posts: 97

Many players enjoy Eve Online for a few months, but it player retention rate past 7 months is low.

Originally posted by adolo

I really, really... REALLY wanted to like EVE, in fact I wanted to fall in love, get married and hear the pitter-patter of little EVEs. I tried and tried but just couldn't get into it and quit after just under 3 months. I was so angry that I failed to understand all the in's and out's of EVE and couldn't figure out the finer details. I still think about EVE all the time, wonder where I went wrong. It's like reminiscing on my youth and the hottest girl I ever dated and being angry that she didn't have any aspirations to do more with her life with all the possibilities right there in front of her, no college, no real job, couldn't hold a conversation, and was basically just arm candy hottness that came by the dozen in a box that you threw away after you were done trying all the flavors only to realize you did it all wrong from day one... If only I knew more about her features, options and systems I could have made it work.. BAH.. Damn you EVE *tear* I wanted to love you... 

Saddened...

Nothing preventing you from having another shot. Many people, myself included felt the same way early on.

Originally posted by Enerla

Many players enjoy Eve Online for a few months, but it player retention rate past 7 months is low.

And how many people stop playing other MMOs after 7 months ? Just go look at all the guilds in WoW that have now hit that wall and are losing raiders. Raids are being canceled because people just aren't logging in for the repetitive grind when they know they have to do it again in a few months when Cataclysm hits. The hardcores have all their gear and the rest can't get a decent group of people who can manage respectable dps so they are just saying f*** it.

• segamansegaman Member Posts: 65

Me too.I just cant get whats funny either in slideshow 3fps pvp or hundreds and hundreds hours gate campings (or roamings) without any action or suddenly  25on1 bubble pvp . . .    grrrrr......

• EnerlaEnerla Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

Originally posted by Enerla

And how many people stop playing other MMOs after 7 months ? Just go look at all the guilds in WoW that have now hit that wall and are losing raiders. Raids are being canceled because people just aren't logging in for the repetitive grind when they know they have to do it again in a few months when Cataclysm hits. The hardcores have all their gear and the rest can't get a decent group of people who can manage respectable dps so they are just saying f*** it.

The problem is: Eve tries to be a good game.

Wow tries to be an acceptable source of addiction.

That is, you play it for your "weekly fix of achievement" when you do something, get loot and feel you achieved something and you are better now. Check the link to see how it changed other games.

http://forum.enerla.net/content/226-builds-characters.html

Most wow addicts will stay in wow for their weekly fix no matter what.

In eve the only "addiction" can come from full loss PVP battles and adrenaline, but majority of players won't face that.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

EVE players, as has been shown many times through awards / public voting, are a fantatical bunch who will go out of their way to promote their game.

Most MMO players, just don't care enough to do that.

Originally posted by segaman

Me too.I just cant get whats funny either in slideshow 3fps pvp or hundreds and hundreds hours gate campings (or roamings) without any action or suddenly  25on1 bubble pvp . . .    grrrrr......

3 fps ? What kind of old school ass system are you running ?

I guess you missed out on the hundreds of other things you could have done in game besides sit in a gate camp for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Those sudden random 25 v 1 bubble camps are brutal, I mean they just pop up out of no where on you.

Here's a couple of tips, don't fly solo in 0.0 that cannot escape a gate camp or omg get some intel before traveling, that would require some effort on your part though instead of being a mindless drone sitting in a gate camp because you somehow thought that was all there is to do.

It's just a player poll people.

I thought it was cool that Eve was so high on the list.

Lets not get too crazy over it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I love EVE, but calling it number 3 of all time top 100 PC games seems a bit of a stretch.

All time MMO's, perhaps, but there's been some terrific PC games over the years and I'm not even sure it makes sense to combine MMO's and single player games into a single list.

Oh well, nice to see it in the news again, it is appreciated by many that's for sure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• segamansegaman Member Posts: 65

"3 fps ? What kind of old school ass system are you running ?

I guess you missed out on the hundreds of other things you could have done in game besides sit in a gate camp for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Those sudden random 25 v 1 bubble camps are brutal, I mean they just pop up out of no where on you.

Here's a couple of tips, don't fly solo in 0.0 that cannot escape a gate camp or omg get some intel before traveling, that would require some effort on your part though instead of being a mindless drone sitting in a gate camp because you somehow thought that was all there is to do."

okay) But I unsubbed atm

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I'm sorry, but that makes me wonder how many people voted on the poll in total; there are so many epic classics on the PC that EvE really doesn't deserve to be #3, nor does Half-Life 2 (although an epic game as well) deserve to be #1, same with FO3 (why FO3 over FO1&2 in the first place?)...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I'm sorry, but that makes me wonder how many people voted on the poll in total; there are so many epic classics on the PC that EvE really doesn't deserve to be #3, nor does Half-Life 2 (although an epic game as well) deserve to be #1, same with FO3 (why FO3 over FO1&2 in the first place?)...

I disagree HL2 is probably the best Fps game ever released on the platform.

You don't understand why FO3 was voted over FO1/2? well those original games are old. I would bet my life that if you toss a thousand people in a room with all three games for a a few hours and have them vote FO3 would win easily.

Looking at the poll I dont think people are thinking about time periods when they voted. They are comparing games now.

Mass effect destroys all PC rpgs before if u put them side by side right now. most of you guys are trying to think back and vote on how you felt about the game then.

Stack a game from the 90s against one from 2000s and the newer games will win everytime when the voting isnt being done by us old players with nostalgia glasses on.

Originally posted by segaman

"3 fps ? What kind of old school ass system are you running ?

Here's a couple of tips, don't fly solo in 0.0 that cannot escape a gate camp or omg get some intel before traveling, that would require some effort on your part though instead of being a mindless drone sitting in a gate camp because you somehow thought that was all there is to do."

okay) But I unsubbed atm

Quote button at the bottom.

You unsubbed ? Too bad for you then.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Honestly EvE is completely great on paper and the potential for awesomeness like large scale fleet engagements and corporate espionage and piracy etc. etc. all the great things this game does are potentially awesome...

but in my experience playing it, you spend the vast majority of your time gathering resources and running missions... over and over and over and over... 

and even if you set out with a dozen or so corp mates looking for some great PvP and trouble... you usually

A) run into random players and just gank the sh!t out of them with no real fight....

B) don't find anything

C) give up and go back to mining/missions after a few hours of A and B

I found it very rare to find the "good stuff."

Comparatively, I can log into WoW and do some Arena matches which are always a pretty fair and challenging fight at higher ratings, I can join up some BG's and usually have some good and epic back and forth matches, and on my server things are pretty balanced so doing Wintergraps is always exciting and fun because we really do change hands quite often, no one side dominates...

I mean... I definitely understand the appeal of EvE, it appeals to me greatly, there is something tangible and very exciting about the freedom and the open galaxy...

But I'm getting old and I like having fun, and usually if we don't find any fun battles I don't even run missions/mine anymore I just log off and go play WoW for my quick PvP fix.

Maybe I need a good corp? A bigger alliance? Something.. but... still...

EvE > potential... but you can't sell me on potential anymore 

• PaulehPauleh Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Solude

Top 5 were.

1. HL2... engine demo, ok game.

2. FO3... good game but #2? no.

3. EvE... couldn't stomach leaving space dock in the tutorial before I was bored so umm no.

4. Dues Ex... great niche game so not sure how it got #4.

5. TF2... TF had a lot of people by the balls for a long long time.  TF2 not so much.

Get the impression the games under consideration were preselected.

My top 5 based on how immersed I was at the time...

1. BG2

2. EQ

3. Quake II

4. UO

5. WC4

Honourable mention to most Bioware RPGs and Jane's sims, RIP.

Not sure how Deus EX made it to 4? HL2 an 'ok' game?

The only game that I could question in the top 5 is EVE.

Originally posted by heerobya

Honestly EvE is completely great on paper and the potential for awesomeness like large scale fleet engagements and corporate espionage and piracy etc. etc. all the great things this game does are potentially awesome...

but in my experience playing it, you spend the vast majority of your time gathering resources and running missions... over and over and over and over... 

and even if you set out with a dozen or so corp mates looking for some great PvP and trouble... you usually

A) run into random players and just gank the sh!t out of them with no real fight....

B) don't find anything

C) give up and go back to mining/missions after a few hours of A and B

I found it very rare to find the "good stuff."

Comparatively, I can log into WoW and do some Arena matches which are always a pretty fair and challenging fight at higher ratings, I can join up some BG's and usually have some good and epic back and forth matches, and on my server things are pretty balanced so doing Wintergraps is always exciting and fun because we really do change hands quite often, no one side dominates...

I mean... I definitely understand the appeal of EvE, it appeals to me greatly, there is something tangible and very exciting about the freedom and the open galaxy...

But I'm getting old and I like having fun, and usually if we don't find any fun battles I don't even run missions/mine anymore I just log off and go play WoW for my quick PvP fix.

Maybe I need a good corp? A bigger alliance? Something.. but... still...

EvE > potential... but you can't sell me on potential anymore 

You need to play with link minded people to enjoy eve.

If you hung out with someone like me we would be roaming low sec everynight, fleeting for WHs and L5 missions and Wardecing corps.

MY corpies and I have alts that join RvB and pvp in bullshit Frig and cruiser fits, we all go on test server together and pvp and mess with new features.

Even our industrial pilots are supported by us in low sec through military means or logisitics.

Just find the right people and you will find that the Eve on paper is actually a reality.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

You need to play with link minded people to enjoy eve.

If you hung out with someone like me we would be roaming low sec everynight, fleeting for WHs and L5 missions and Wardecing corps.

MY corpies and I have alts that join RvB and pvp in bullshit Frig and cruiser fits, we all go on test server together and pvp and mess with new features.

Even our industrial pilots are supported by us in low sec through military means or logisitics.

Just find the right people and you will find that the Eve on paper is actually a reality.

I guess it really pissed me off how useless I was in a Frigate. 

I mean, yeah I understand the whole "it's an RPG so you have to upgrade and move on" kind of thing, but I liked being fast and small and I hated managing drones... and Assault ships were really far off (those were the T2 frigates right?)

I guess I felt my play style was not supported. 

I mean everyone supposedly wants to be the big bad-ass mega ships, but not me. I liked cruising around at high speed in a Rifter, that was my ideal....

And I was bloody useless against anything bigger then a Destroyer... i'd just be on drone clean-up duty in PvP engagements...