Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some newbie questions

jarosujojarosujo Member UncommonPosts: 12

Hi,

as a trial member I can not post in official EvE forum so will try here.

1. Ship movement

if I understand corectly, only way to move your ship during combat is to click some object and then approach / orbit / keep range. Is there any other way to drive your ship so you know in advance which way it will go ? If there is only 1 group of rats it's quite easy to out range them with my missiles, I just use keep range on them. Problem is, if there are more groups coming from opposite directions, quite difficult for me to keep out of range all of them.

2.  Is it common that your characters on account have different race ? I am caldari but would like to try drones as well, so I am thinking to make my other character gallente and fly drones with him. I know you can fly gallente ships as caldari, but you loose racial bonus which is huge minus in my opinion. Sending money / items from one char to other is not a problem, also you can train skills on all chars at the same time. So is it possible to actually have 3 equal chars or am I missing something ? Why would I cross train with one char and loose racial bonus if I can make another one ?

Thanx a lot

Comments

• DawngreeterDawngreeter Member CommonPosts: 60

1. Double click in the direction you want to go

2. You can have as different a set of characters on one account as you wish. You can only train skills for one of them at any one time, though. And there is no such thing as a racial bonus, all characters fly all ships equally well (assuming they have the same level of relevant skills).

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

1. Yeah, when you orbit one enemy at range it allows others to come in and breach that optimal distance. It's definitely a pain in the ass to salvage/loot afterwards, but the best option is to flee the opposite direction from incoming enemies while adjustings speed to keep them at your optimal range. It works well, but you have to spend time going back for all the wrecks that are then left in a straight line for miles.

2. There is no innate racial bonuses (at least the last I played), if you like your Caldari char the best you can still pilot Gallente ships with it without any hindrances. It's just probably better to have a fresh start with the freebie supply of skills where they need to be, but it's really only a day or so to get specced that way. That was before noobs got an SP bonus in the first weeks too.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• jarosujojarosujo Member UncommonPosts: 12

1. So you just double click in the space to travel there ? Didn't know that :-) I just can not imagine, how you can double click to navigate in 3D space. How do you adjust all three axes (x,y,z) ?

2. Racial bonus - for axample gallente cruiser Thorax - "Gallente Cruiser skill: 5% bonus to Medium Hybrid Turret damage and 5% less penalty to max capacitor for MicroWarpdrive usage per level." Do I get this bonus if I am different race (caldari) ? If yes, then there is no drawback at all, except loosing some time to train proper skills. Right ?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by jarosujo
    1. So you just double click in the space to travel there ? Didn't know that :-) I just can not imagine, how you can double click to navigate in 3D space. How do you adjust all three axes (x,y,z) ?

2. Racial bonus - for axample gallente cruiser Thorax - "Gallente Cruiser skill: 5% bonus to Medium Hybrid Turret damage and 5% less penalty to max capacitor for MicroWarpdrive usage per level." Do I get this bonus if I am different race (caldari) ? If yes, then there is no drawback at all, except loosing some time to train proper skills. Right ?

1)
    EVE ship control is tactical.
    I think it will make more sense to you if you imagine it as RTS. You order your ship, you do not control it directly.

The ship takes the direction(x,y) you double click, and the movement in z axis is continual. The ship heads truly in direction, not to the point.

2)
    Racial is just the technology, every character can train any skill with the same efficiency and no drawbacks regardless of race.

In this case, you train Gallente Cruiser Skill to gain bonuses while flying Gallente cruisers.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Faction Ships require you to cross train. The Daredevil as an example requires Gallente and Minmatar frigate to use. As far as drones go, all races use them, some more than others and Gallente tend to be the drone boat race  for sure even a Caldari can use some meat shields in PvE or some EC-300 hornets in PvP to add to thier most annoying virtue.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

The best way to imagine ship control in Eve is to fully realise the size of the ships!  They are hideously huge!

Even the smallest ships (frigates) are massive with some 40 crew.

Ships this size just cannot be controlled by joystick, since they move too slow so you have a computer which does all the navigation for you, leaving you to concentrate on control the modules on the ship, look (and engage) at many different targets.  When you get to know combat in Eve and when your fighting 40 ships at once.. you realise that actually, you'd never have time to fly it as well.

in fact, the single only time when you use a joystick in space combat is on single pilot 'fighter' styled ships which dont have the ability to travel very far from their mother ship... let alone traverse the universe.

I understand this is more about a strategy  and tactics and that's fine, I am not looking for joystick simulator. The question is - how can you navigate in 3D space with mouse doubleclick ?  There are no x,y,z coordinates in game.  I mean something like - moving your mouse just changes x,y in 2D space and then holding for example shift button and moving mouse would change z coordinate. All I can control now is how far I want to be from something, but I can not choose exact position. Hope it makes sense.

• DawngreeterDawngreeter Member CommonPosts: 60

If you try double clicking, you will see how.

But here's an explanation anyway. If you imagine there's a sphere the center of which is your ship, when you double click yo effectively project the x-y coordinates of the location of your cursor onto this imaginary sphere along a line perpendicular to the plane that would represent your screen in the 3D space. The point where this line and the imaginary sphere intersect is the direction in which your ship will move.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I understand this is more about a strategy  and tactics and that's fine, I am not looking for joystick simulator. The question is - how can you navigate in 3D space with mouse doubleclick ?  There are no x,y,z coordinates in game.  I mean something like - moving your mouse just changes x,y in 2D space and then holding for example shift button and moving mouse would change z coordinate. All I can control now is how far I want to be from something, but I can not choose exact position. Hope it makes sense.

EVE does not have 'point & click' movement mechanics.

You move - up+down(pitch), left+right(pitch), forward+backwards(engine).

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Just stop your ship where you want it to be.

Hit control + space or click at the bottom of the health bars where your speed bar is.

Little known tip: You can control the precise speed of your ship by clicking in that area.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Dawngreeter

If you try double clicking, you will see how.

But here's an explanation anyway. If you imagine there's a sphere the center of which is your ship, when you double click yo effectively project the x-y coordinates of the location of your cursor onto this imaginary sphere along a line perpendicular to the plane that would represent your screen in the 3D space. The point where this line and the imaginary sphere intersect is the direction in which your ship will move.

I had to read it twice but I understand now :-)

1. When you double click, you just set direction, not the place where to go. Ship will travel forever.

2.  Direction depends on your view as well.

thanx

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Technically there is only 1 race in eve ... Human(ish)

5 seperate ideoligies are something different.