Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is IGE allowed to advertise on this site?

RelentRelent Member Posts: 66

They're a cancer on MMOs. How do you justify profitting by any association with them?

Until the legal avenue exists to end these parasites, it is necessary for people who actually care about competitive MMO play to adopt a zero-tolerance stance toward them and the players that cheat via them.

Is MMORPG actually a supporter of IGE? You can't have it both ways.

Comments

• LamananLamanan Member Posts: 8

I have to agree with you. While MMORPG.com may make profit off of them, they are simply an undeniable plauge to the quality of games (and much more...). The ability to succeed in a game should be completely dependent upon your skill and ability to play - it doesn't matter if "I can't play because I have a life" - it's a game. You don't have to cheat!

• RelentRelent Member Posts: 66

Still waiting for a response to this question.

I have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to players, or to MMOs themselves that are in any way associated with cheating. That includes hacking, botting, and the out-of-game purchase of items. Besides all being expressly forbidden in the TOS of the MMOs I play, these activities sour the underlying competitive spirit of the games and damage their economies.

I haven't decided how that applies to general services/information centers in the MMO domain (such as MMORPG itself) that are associated with cheats. You must realize that by profiting from a partnership with IGE, you are profiting from organized cheating that's feeding on your clientele. An activity that (in my belief anyway) the majority of them resent rather strongly. (see secondary market poll)

So what's up?

EDIT: I'm also curious what the MMOs that advertise on your site think about your relationship with a company that makes its profit by souring theirs.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I imagine it's a walmart scenario. Walmart is a large chain, some would say empire of stores, to illustrate the power they hold...  http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6558540/thekillers?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1&rnd=1110652896234&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.857

In a nutshell they have so much power over the market they dictate the prices to the sellers and leave it up to them to work out the lost revinue.

MMORPG.COM is probibly the most influential site of this nature to exist, if it isn't listed here mainstream gamers probibly wont see it.  If youre curious about these games your likely to try typing MMORPG.COM" into a web address.

Can you even imagine what IGE would offer to be allowed to advertise on this site?  I don't even want to know.

As far as the games that are affected by this... what are they going to do? Boycott the most popular MMORPG site on the internet?  Do they really have a choice? 

Hense the walmart scenario.

• difancerdifancer Member Posts: 18

maybe just because they need cash and ads to be alive ? are you guys that complain like that even pay them for the FREE service they offer you ?

i myself got a website, and god know its not free. the space, the .com and everything. its sad but they need money.

so shut it tight. or give them money =D

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I was wondering the same thing.  I disagree with the above poster who said MMORPG.com is the most influential site when it comes to MMOs.  The Vault Network and Stratics are more influential in my opinion because both foster communities for various MMOs.  Don't get me wrong, I think this site is picking up some steam, but all I really come here for is news because its a bit more widespread then the vault or stratics.  If I want to "hang-out", there is The Vault or Stratics and sometimes even WarCry.
  • DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

Could we get off our high horses for a moment? We're talking about video games here, not politics or religion or anything that actually matters. I agree that IGE and other companies that engage in these kinds of behaviors are irritating and they do have a small effect of the gameworlds they are involved in, but not really very much. Personaly, I would never use em because I think it's silly to pay even more money than I already am to get something that I can get in game on my own. But that's just me. Others find it justifyable; I do not, and I try to avoid other players that buy farmed money or items.

MMORPG.com is a company that is in business to make a profit. I would imagine IGE pays them pretty well to have their ads on this site. It's their right to run the ads if they choose to do so. If you don't want IGE to continue on this site, simply don't click on their banners. If IGE sees that they aren't getting the trafic they want from this site they will pull their ads. plain and simple.

I hope I made it clear that I have no idea what the most popular site is:P

Stratics is awesome for some games, but many games on it's network are empty in the content for them.  (information about aspects of the game I mean) I know I used it for eq but many other games are not as "filled out." 

Also, do they offer a way to donate to this site...  I fail to see how I'm to give them money if they don't offer a way.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Listen Up. Craig pays hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year in server/bandwidth fees for the site and forum. Every little tiny tiny tiny bit of sponsership is so welcome. If you offered to pay for the site then maybe IGE would not be advertised. Until then, don't complain. Thank you.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Show me where I even have the option of donating to this site...

You say I should pay for it...  Is it even possible?

Can't ask a man to give birth.

I am working on it. If you really wish to donate, promote my new thread in the gen-dis board requesting updates to the forums.

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Isnt IGE doing something illigal, becouse that the companies produced the games also own all items inside and so you can not sell it. And advertising with it, is the same as watching when someone get robbed. But i aint sure it is what they do is illigal though

This is the only site i would give my money to in support.  I think it needs a set up like gucomics has where he puts in on the site how much he has to raise a month. He gives prizes in stuff for all donators if it reaches the goal everyone who gave a dollar is in the raffle (100 dollars is 100 raffles) for a chance at a prize.)

I'm not saying there has to be some reward, but it's a way of showing how much funding the site has/needs.

He usually raises his goal a month before its half over.

I will say I would only support it if it was conditional on no IGE banners, maybe something like if we raise this much this month no banner next month.

BUT, I am guessing they gave a LOT of money and I'm wondering if player donations would reach that.

I accept its a business thing, is not as if the guys trying to dirty MMORPG hes trying to pay bills/ make a little cash off his site... Thats fine with me.

A lot of sites that offer a lot less then this one have methods of donation, webcomics even blogs are now having the links.  I do not think it would be cheesy if this site that offers so much to ask for donations, even no mention of it is made except for a paypal link or something.

I just look at the IGE banner situation as a cigarette add on a cancer awareness site, but I've said all I've wanted to say about it in other threads and people have sounded off.  I'm done arguing about it, its been discussed and I've moved on.  I'm not happy with the end result but it had its 15 mins of fame for me.  That's all I can ask for.

Maybe you could put a link in a reply for me as I don't think ive ever seen the thread you're talking about donations?  I would be more the happy to voice my support.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I would love to, but i don't have a cc ::::06::. But it seems a lot of players are agianst there banner....so they will not press the banner, so it will not generate a lot of money...or doesnt it work on a $$ per click?

No. Sponser. THEY pay CRAIG to put their banner on this page.

That's BS making it sound like this is philanthropy. Craig MAKES money selling the advertising on this site.

His budget could easily be covered from the proceeds of legitimate advertisers, without resorting to the questionable sponsorship of cheat companies like IGE. Besides souring the quality of gameplay for many of your clientele, they represent a direct conflict of interest with other advertisers.

In the interest of fattening his own wallet further, Craig is selling out. Making more money by leeching off the gamers this site used to pretend to support.

It's hard to believe that some readers would be stupid enough to send him even more cash.

This used to be a decent site. But if it's future lies in a partnerships with cheat companies, then all information presented here becomes suspect. If that's the way it is, then I guess it's time for serious gamers to scratch mmorpg.com off the list.

Originally posted by Relent
    That's BS making it sound like this is philanthropy. Craig MAKES money selling the advertising on this site.
    His budget could easily be covered from the proceeds of legitimate advertisers, without resorting to the questionable sponsorship of cheat companies like IGE. Besides souring the quality of gameplay for many of your clientele, they represent a direct conflict of interest with other advertisers.
    In the interest of fattening his own wallet further, Craig is selling out. Making more money by leeching off the gamers this site used to pretend to support.
    It's hard to believe that some readers would be stupid enough to send him even more cash.
    This used to be a decent site. But if it's future lies in a partnerships with cheat companies, then all information presented here becomes suspect. If that's the way it is, then I guess it's time for serious gamers to scratch mmorpg.com off the list.

Hey, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to stay here.::::19::

Before leaving it seemed fair to give mmorpg.com an opportunity to come clean on its partnership with IGE.

Since the response seems to be 'bugger off, we want the money' I guess that you're right that it's time to stop coming here. Although given the nature of IGE's aggressive polution of the industry, there is also some obligation to shine as much light as possible on how mmorpg.com has compromised itself just to make a few extra bucks.

Ultimately the only way that competitive gamers will ever be able to stem the growing effects of farmers and cheats is by adopting a zero-tolerance stance toward those involved in it.