Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Thinking With Wormholes

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com EVE Online writer Phil Wallace details his team's experiences working and living on the other side of a wormhole for 11 months in search of fun and profit.

A year ago Apocrypha brought us wormhole space, 2,500 brand new unexplored systems accessible only from Known-space (or K-space, the already existing part of EVE) via those pesky roaming portals that always seem to collapse when it’s most inconvenient. Also known as W-space or Unknown Space, these new systems contained the raw materials we needed to build a new class of ship and the potential to make money in the process. Naturally, the more enterprising and adventurous members of my corporation (including myself) banded together with the following plan:

Step 1) Go to wormhole space.

Step 2) ???

Step 3) Profit!

Read Thinking With Wormholes.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

"Now you're thinking with Portals Wormholes"

A very good read, thanks. I can't wait to get into exploring some wormholes when my character is a bit more skilled up.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• Mile5Mile5 Member Posts: 8

You guys are heroes! It's these extraordinary tales of (hard)teamwork that make eve awesome. I guess I should open both my char's again once I have time..

• DizsenDizsen Member Posts: 27

Good read. One day Ill change my carebear ways and find a corp outside of highsec.

• HalowHalow Member Posts: 71

I agree.. good read. I prefer to live in 0.0 with my alliance but to each his own.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

My first experience living in wormholes was much like the OP's, we flew a core triad of Domi's plus a couple of DPS ships and ran ops in Class 4 sites with no problem. (unless someone got disconnected or fell asleep).

Now I'm living in a Class 6 wormhole and I'm running with the big dogs.  Ops in our home system usually involve using carriers to create additional battleship spawns and keep everyone repaired.  No one flys a Domi (they laugh at the one I brought in ) preferring to leave the damage dealing to better DPS ships.

I'm currently training for a Damnation to help provide better armor bonuses (would take me lees time to train capital ships I think) and running ops on occasion (I've taken up with a unhealthy obsession with Fallout 3 lately)

When there aren't any good sites in our wormhole we usually fly some sort of sheld tank gang (Tengu's for the win) in Class 4's though when people want to solo they'll go down to Class 3's and 2's on occasion.

PVP....if you're in a womhole, any wormhole my alliance considers you an invader so no quarter is ever given. They actively hunt everyone in and out of wormholes when ever possible and what they can do with a scan probe is amazing. (in terms of speed)

Wormhole living is profitiable, but you can find long periods of not much to do unless you love to mine gas and want to haul it out of there.  Soloing in upper level wormholes isn't reallly a good option so you have to be willing to scan out some lower level holes and work them on your own.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

Very nice article. Thanks for putting it together.  I sure wish I had time to immerse myself in EVE again.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

was so great the guy moved out of there even tho they made ton of everything!

good read! by im trying to understand why move from there if you made good everything!

stay there and buy or make a bigger ship to move stuff to and from where ever you need to go once in a while?

ty for sharing your story by the way!loved it!

• mukinmukin Member UncommonPosts: 80

Wonderful article.  Makes me wanna come back.

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

Thanks for the great read Op.

Spam the D-Scan!

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Would Stephen Hawking play EVE if he could? Such great material now, Eve really has came a long way.

• LordAdderLordAdder Member Posts: 123

Very good read.  Makes me all the more impatient to get up to the skills-level needed to give wormholes a shot.

I am a bit curious though about one aspect of your experience... You commented a few times about not being able to PvP very much nor to help your alliance as often as they thought you should.  Why did you not make use of your jump clones (assuming you have some), outfitted for just that purpose?  Times when your team got bored, all simply agree to take a 24 hour break and jump out to partake in some PvP action (possibly taking turns at one member staying behind to keep an eye on things. It would also be prudent to have a jump clone in the W-space along with your main so that you could get back immediately should the need arise).  In the case of the alliance fights, have a clone or two properly equipped and located at strategicly chosen spots within your alliance's space so as to facilitate reaching most points within an aceptable timeframe, ready to answer the alliance's call to arms.  Heck, I'm still mostly carebearing but I still have six of my nine characters jump-clone-enabled (four each) and am constantly outfitting them and deploying them to various areas to be used for particular tasks.  It seems to me that this would be an absolute MUST for anyone living for an extended period of time in W-space.

Besides that, a lot of good stuff there. Thanks! image

~ Adder ~
    Quick, Silent, Deadly

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

I'm living in a c3 currently and so far found the experience very rewarding and far more interesting than highsec life. Definately a great option for small but dedicated corps. You have to get used to the empty local, keeping an eye on dscan and helps when someones got an alt that can keep on eye on any open WHs. Hoping to move into a higher class down the road, we're thinking around when the next expansion drops. C3 is a nice class to begin with especially when low sp like we were starting out. After awhile tho you can solo every site in one with a drake.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by LordAdder

Very good read.  Makes me all the more impatient to get up to the skills-level needed to give wormholes a shot.

I am a bit curious though about one aspect of your experience... You commented a few times about not being able to PvP very much nor to help your alliance as often as they thought you should.  Why did you not make use of your jump clones (assuming you have some), outfitted for just that purpose?  Times when your team got bored, all simply agree to take a 24 hour break and jump out to partake in some PvP action (possibly taking turns at one member staying behind to keep an eye on things. It would also be prudent to have a jump clone in the W-space along with your main so that you could get back immediately should the need arise).  In the case of the alliance fights, have a clone or two properly equipped and located at strategicly chosen spots within your alliance's space so as to facilitate reaching most points within an aceptable timeframe, ready to answer the alliance's call to arms.  Heck, I'm still mostly carebearing but I still have six of my nine characters jump-clone-enabled (four each) and am constantly outfitting them and deploying them to various areas to be used for particular tasks.  It seems to me that this would be an absolute MUST for anyone living for an extended period of time in W-space.

Jump Clones do not work in wormhole space. You may be able to use the facility to jump clone out but you can't use it to jump back in.

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

Wormholes are still on my "to do"-list. Not at the top though, and it is a pretty long list...

• mechermecher Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by bezado

Would Stephen Hawking play EVE if he could? Such great material now, Eve really has came a long way.

Didn't you know? Stephen Hawking is the one that caused the wormholes in EvE.

• LordAdderLordAdder Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by Nicoli

Originally posted by LordAdder

Jump Clones do not work in wormhole space. You may be able to use the facility to jump clone out but you can't use it to jump back in.

I did not know that.  Seems I better do some more reading up on the subject before taking the plunge (getting quite close! image).  Thanks for enlightening me.

~ Adder ~
    Quick, Silent, Deadly