Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quelsolaar a new mmo called LOVE

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

It's a visually beautiful game. The developer has a great eye.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

It's artsy and colorful

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

If more computer games were made this way -- by a small group of developers (or one developer) with a unique, creative vision -- I'd be a whole lot happier with the industry as a whole.

I haven't purchased a computer game yet this year.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• kevin_123kevin_123 Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

If more computer games were made this way -- by a small group of developers (or one developer) with a unique, creative vision -- I'd be a whole lot happier with the industry as a whole.

Agree, Love is made by one guy completely on his own, Eskil Steenberg, from Sweden. In comparison, it makes you wonder what game companies are doing with their huge budgets and teams of developers working full time taking years to make games.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

There are other pretty games out there. What about gameplay?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

This has been out for at least a year.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Yeah... I mean, we're always hamming it up here on MMORPG.com:

"Why, in the 1990s, there were actually some GOOD computer games around! You had your Frontier: Elite II, your King's Quest, X-COM, Wing Commander, Fallout, Duke Nukem..."

But the thing is, when I see 99% of upcoming computer games post-2006, my brain doesn't even register them. I couldn't care less. In 99% of cases, they're literally the same thing rehashed over and over and over again, completely unexciting. A good example of a game that broke the mold is Beyond Good and Evil; before that, Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

When I see something like Love, though, I actually get excited about it. There's no faking that. It's not just a "Why, back in my day" sort of thing, it's real. The industry literally quit making good games; they now design them by committee, and send them down a 100-person assembly line of artists and programmers for mass consumption.

I remember seeing Love sometime last year before it was even available to playtest. Apparently you can play now, and I think that's what I'll do.

EDIT: This being the Internet, of course some douchebag had to pop in with a completely useless comment about Love not being new.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

There are other pretty games out there. What about gameplay?

Check out the gameplay video, I havn't played it myself but it looks very 'refreshing', and it's not about the prettiness, it's about the unique art style.

Yeah... I mean, we're always hamming it up here on MMORPG.com:

"Why, in the 1990s, there were actually some GOOD computer games around! You had your Frontier: Elite II, your King's Quest, X-COM, Wing Commander, Fallout, Duke Nukem..."

But the thing is, when I see 99% of upcoming computer games post-2006, my brain doesn't even register them. I couldn't care less. In 99% of cases, they're literally the same thing rehashed over and over and over again, completely unexciting. A good example of a game that broke the mold is Beyond Good and Evil; before that, Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

When I see something like Love, though, I actually get excited about it. There's no faking that. It's not just a "Why, back in my day" sort of thing, it's real. They industry literally quit making good games; they now design them by committee, and send them down an 100-person assembly line or artists and programmers for mass consumption.

I remember seeing Love sometime last year before it was even available to playtest. Apparently you can play now, and I think that's what I'll do.

EXCACTLY how I feel, nothing excites me anymore, I remember seeing the release of a new game and actually being excited, looking forward to it, then the game came and it was challenging, everytime something different. Only recent game I bought was L4D2 which I do actually enjoy but it's immensly repetitive, getting boring after just a few hours of playing.

Maybe it's just Nostalgia..

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Nothing about Love looks exciting.  The art style is unique, but its still a budget indy game which rarely interest me.  Using his building tools isn't fun considering I use Maya / MAX on a regular basis.  LOVE just isn't a game and its not new.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

All it has is a unique art style .... and the art has almost no details (for obvious reasons, the guy cannot afford any art assets).

Once you get used to it, it is boring to look it. Sameness everywhere. No distinctive zones/areas.

This is a primary example of indie developers .. they don't have the resources to produce content.

I will pass.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

This is a primary example of indie developers .. they don't have the resources to produce content.

Well, for one thing, there are teams of fifty or more commercial developers who can't produce content, either.

For another, Love is clearly meant to be a sandbox game wherein you make your own content, mostly.

Finally, it's not meant to be a full-fledged MMORPG. It looks more like a fun cooperative diversion to me.

I'm not saying you're wrong. It is true that small, independent developers can't match the resources of a large developer, but I personally never expected them to.

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

haters will just be haters but this game is refreshing , except the fact that it has no end game it has no Reason but just to play in his world.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Well, for one thing, there are teams of fifty or more commercial developers who can't produce content, either.

For another, Love is clearly meant to be a sandbox game wherein you make your own content, mostly.

Finally, it's not meant to be a full-fledged MMORPG. It looks more like a fun cooperative diversion to me.

I'm not saying you're wrong. It is true that small, independent developers can't match the resources of a large developer, but I personally never expected them to.

Well, and there are commercial developers who do. Some can't is irrelevant. They will get filtered out in the market place.

And if you expected players to make content .. good luck. 99% of player created content is CRAP. I have seen enough of that in NWN and Dungeon Siege. Professioinally produced content is almost alway better.

In any case, have fun with it.

Originally posted by Amorien

haters will just be haters but this game is refreshing , except the fact that it has no end game it has no Reason but just to play in his world.

Hatei s too strong a word. It implies interests and time spent to hate.

Meh is more like it ... something that i probably will just discuss a bit and then forget in a few days.

• OrdokaiOrdokai Member Posts: 35

I feel bad for the developer, he's obviously a talented and creative bloke, but at the end of the day all he's really doing is building a giant blank wall players can draw dicks on.

-  Ordokai 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by kevin_123

Agree, Love is made by one guy completely on his own, Eskil Steenberg, from Sweden. In comparison, it makes you wonder what game companies are doing with their huge budgets and teams of developers working full time taking years to make games.

I agree, too.  He obviously lacks the resources to make a full-fledged game with the latest graphics and sound, but I'd love to see a big budget game that's more like this game, than yet another levelling treadmill.  Same with ATITD.  I can't get into games that are so rudimentary, but I do wish these people would be hired as lead designers for big game companies that can really take these sorts of ideas and build them into something so much more impressive.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by kevin_123

I agree, too.  He obviously lacks the resources to make a full-fledged game with the latest graphics and sound, but I'd love to see a big budget game that's more like this game, than yet another levelling treadmill.  Same with ATITD.  I can't get into games that are so rudimentary, but I do wish these people would be hired as lead designers for big game companies that can really take these sorts of ideas and build them into something so much more impressive.

Agreed, would be nic eif some of the better companies out there were to extend a hand to the independent folks and try to work together with them, perhaps offering some funding and use of resources while allowing the creators to maintain complete creative control, in exchange for sharing the profits with the big company. Would make it much easier to get some original MMOs done by smaller groups and in higher quallity while still allowing the big guys to bring in some extra profit. It might be a bit of a risk at times, but its also the only way theyre ever really going to have a chance to take part in the next truly unique game that becomes a big hit. Theyre obviously not capable, or willing to do it on their own.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by ScalperOne

It's artsy and colorful

I agree with this. But will add, that for me I don't know about playing it as a game; it looks more like it belongs in an Art musuem than on a video screen.

• starfoxx31starfoxx31 Member UncommonPosts: 67

Wait, is this out yet?

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

This one guy built a game engine with a network layer and art to top it off, and some of you think it's nothing new? His engine is actually pretty dam sweet, its procedural(however you spell it). That in itself is hard to accomplish when working with multiplayer capabilities. This guy has tons of talent, and if I remember correctly, actually worked as a graphic artist at one point. If he can do this by himself for one game, think of what 10 of him could do, or a whole freaking company. If anything, this one guy just showed the rest of the industry how lazy they are. He also showed why OpenGL has it's plus's. Seriously though, most people in thier lifetime won't be able to accomplish what this man has done in a few years time. In my book, this man gets a huge + from me. Kepp truckin my friend and I LOVE your game.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

I dont know art but I know what I like. And I am not crazy about blotchy impressisant paintings. Plus the name of the MMO I find is distrubing in itself. Gameplay features sound interesting and some of the underlying technology seems interesting as well. Just the outer package puts me off..alot. 

Beyond that I hope this MMO does well and thrives, there should be diversity in the marketplace. 

• mlauzonmlauzon Member UncommonPosts: 767

I still think the developer is an idiot, he made people pay to play in the Closed Alpha, Closed Beta, and Open Beta.

--
    Michael

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by mlauzon

I still think the developer is an idiot, he made people pay to play in the Closed Alpha, Closed Beta, and Open Beta.

No, that makes the people willing to pay to play an alpha or beta the idiots.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-