Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Downtime extended again by 3 hours

Comments

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by greymann

Here's the problem: anyone can understand an unforseeable delay but the problem is they're keeping everyone on the edge of their seats all night with multiple ETA's and only announcing the delay (with ANOTHER deadline) shortly after the first deadline expires... then rinse/repeat.  There's no way I'll believe that someone didn't foresee another several hour delay well before the first deadline.  Under-promise, over-deliver guys...  basic stuff. 

this is about par for the course in the industry, from my experience.

Which is why I always schedule something else to do on expansion and patch days, for any game.

So basically you have the ability to foresee and plan for delays better than the developers. 

• SirPacoSirPaco Member UncommonPosts: 358

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by AgtSmith

Oh yeah, and on deleting threads - read others commenting on it before they delete this thread too: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=218280

I've actually been keeping an eye on that specific thread in another tab....watching it grow, and not get deleted.

One would think that if they WERE deleting threads, that this one would be gone by now, and would not have made it to two pages.

Of course, a thread about deleting threads would certainly make it SEEM like they were deleting threads....especially if that thread were then deleted.

But it hasn't been.

I've been on those forums for a bit now, they are only deleting blatant trash posts, the gripe threads are all getting merged into one.

you mean like this one?

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=149084

default Dear Funcom

Dear Funcom, we all love your game, we really do, but we HATE your "lies" about the different downtimes.. Why dont you rather say: "Server downtime is expected to start at 03:00 gmt and last 24 hours, and maybe it will only last for 18 hours, and we get this possitive surprise, instead of saying 12 hours, then adding an additional 6, and ending up putting on 1 or 2 hours aswell without telling us.. Please keep this in mind for your next update; it is better to say it will take longer, and we all get a possitive reaction when we find out it didn't take as long, than to say it will take x-amount of time, but it takes WAAAAAAAY longer, and we all end up waiting, and waiting and waiting for your servers to finally get online..

Love and hugzzzz..

Azi <3

Ya, that was blatant trtash post :o

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I think people have just come to expect that it is the nature of MMORPGs.

It is the nature of bad MMOs, or poorly run ones anyways.

Look, I am not running down AoC entirely - I have said many times the game is much, much improved since its miserable state at launch.  That is a given.  However, even with all its improvements it is still very poorly run - DX10 is still sloppy and unoptimised and even listed as beta, the game still crashes often (though now it often kicks a debugger and you can continue without restarting), and Funcom still has their head half way up their arses when it comes to QA and things like this launch.  Such is the way of AoC.  Is the game itself at least now worthy of putting up with all the funcom BS - I think so, at least for a while (will see with RotGS if it has multi month appeal).  But no matter how you slice it this is a bad launch - period.  Sure, games are more complex but hardware is cheaper as is bandwidth and with virtualization there are easy to use tools for duplicating servers and deploying changes without afffecting live services or making deployments like this transparent.  This isn't the days of $100k servers so there are less reasons for borking a live system for an update is my point.

All in all this isn't the worst thing in MMO history but for a game trying hard to shake a terrible launch and seemingly making strides towards that it is a terrible mess and Funcom should have taken all necessary precations to avoid it, and avaoidable it is with QA, proper planning, and good execution.

And how do you know they didn't take all these necessary steps? are you in MMO business? do you know all the inside details and how things are run? its easy to sit in a comfy chair and moan all day but its silly to think that a company would want to hurt its subscribers base on purpose. Truth is that MMO are complex in nature and unforseen things happen. At that time it doesn't matter how well prepared you are, when somethings gonna break its just gonna break. There is nothing you can do about it.

Also only because Funcom screwed up with AOC launch doesn't mean they haven't made any improvements or learned from their mistakes. So please stop beating the dead horse.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Oh yeah, and on deleting threads - read others commenting on it before they delete this thread too: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=218280

I've actually been keeping an eye on that specific thread in another tab....watching it grow, and not get deleted.

One would think that if they WERE deleting threads, that this one would be gone by now, and would not have made it to two pages.

Of course, a thread about deleting threads would certainly make it SEEM like they were deleting threads....especially if that thread were then deleted.

But it hasn't been.

OK, you got me - I hacked the accounts of all those people posting there acknowledging theads are being deleted just to have something to post here as evidence that they are deleting threads. 

they are deleting things like "omg funcom just ****** my face!!" and "I demand a ****job!" and the other worthless crap that the kiddies are posting because they're not being served their instant gratification, yeah.

Of course, the thread about deleting threads is still there, and is not on it's third page.

Misdirection??? I think not....

Posted by Famine:

I'm hanging! We got some good news, I don't want to tease the community but stay posted!

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?p=2730036#post2730036

Europe got nuked and we can go ahead without them?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

lol.  When will some people learn. It's Funcom, where "fun" is half-baked. :)

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

But it hasn't been.

I've been on those forums for a bit now, they are only deleting blatant trash posts, the gripe threads are all getting merged into one.

I saw several trash posts get deleted, you are correct there.  I just saw one a short bit ago that was titled 'Failcom", new that would get deleted.  But they also have delted several unoffensive threads as well, and merged others.  I can understand the merging but several posts without flames or other trash have been deleted simply for discussing the right/wrong of the dowtime and extended issues.  I even exchanged PMs with several moderators with a couple denying delteions while others acknowledged them but couldn't cite reasons.

Not saying it is the worst forum purgin ever, is pretty par for the course in terms of developers overreacting.  But it is, to my thinking, worthy of mentioning because it shows once again them focused on spin and hype after a lack of focus on QA - as I said in a reply to a PM to the community manager if they spent half the energy reacting to these problems that they do testing and planning to avoid them they would have no issues.  But oh well - such is bad game companies and despite the improvements to AoC (which I plan to play more, will see how RotGS is) Funcom is one of the bad MMO companies.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

The godslayer hit the snooze button

But it hasn't been.

I saw several trash posts get deleted, you are correct there.  I just saw one a short bit ago that was titled 'Failcom", new that would get deleted.  But they also have delted several unoffensive threads as well, and merged others.  I can understand the merging but several posts without flames or other trash have been deleted simply for discussing the right/wrong of the dowtime and extended issues.  I even exchanged PMs with several moderators with a couple denying delteions while others acknowledged them but couldn't cite reasons.

Not saying it is the worst forum purgin ever, is pretty par for the course in terms of developers overreacting.  But it is, to my thinking, worthy of mentioning because it shows once again them focused on spin and hype after a lack of focus on QA - as I said in a reply to a PM to the community manager if they spent half the energy reacting to these problems that they do testing and planning to avoid them they would have no issues.  But oh well - such is bad game companies and despite the improvements to AoC (which I plan to play more, will see how RotGS is) Funcom is one of the bad MMO companies.

EURO is patching !

I'll keep you updated

lool they announce 12 hours of downtime and make it 21, then announce 6 and it's actually 10 minutes :D

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

The godslayer hit the snooze button

rofl. This is exaclty why after 2 years I never came back to AoC, and maintain that it will never be worth it.  Not to mention that I could never see myself leveling another character to 75 just to wait for Funcom to catch-up.

Europe is patching. US next says Famine.

Got to love the Funcom math here ...

Original downtime was 12 hours, then they announced a 4 hour delay.  Now they have missed that window and are extending it another 6 hours so they redo the patcher to what is show attached (16 + 6).  Now, in the end it is all the same - launch doesn't happen on launch day no matter which way you slice it but I find the math pretty funny as they roll the 4 hours over into the original 12 trying to soften the blow of being 8 hours overdue I suppose.  LOL

Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I agree with you Whargoul..it is exactly like beating head into the wall. Some people are just born to complain lol.. so it's ok. most of these guys complaining remind me of those patients in rehab. Its withdrawl symptoms. Soon they will get their addiction back and everything will be fine. Such is the nature of MMO addicts.

Original downtime was 12 hours, then they announced a 4 hour delay.  Now they have missed that window and are extending it another 6 hours so they redo the patcher to what is show attached (16 + 6).  Now, in the end it is all the same - launch doesn't happen on launch day no matter which way you slice it but I find the math pretty funny as they roll the 4 hours over into the original 12 trying to soften the blow of being 8 hours overdue I suppose.  LOL

dude........stop.

EU is up now, US is not far behind.

dude........stop.

Dang, you are on to me - I hacked funcom too and put that false information in to their launcher and on thier forums.  ROFL, I cannot get anything past you.

Guess I can drink that cup of coffee now that I shelved after the 6 hour delay.  On 2nd thought holding off to make sure.  Hell the patch could be what? 5 gig?

Yeah - like 3-4 gigs - with everyone doing it at the same time of course.  Either way, not many people, if any, will be playing AoC RotGS today and most will be playing tommorow afternoon/evening.

Guess I can drink that cup of coffee now that I shelved after the 6 hour delay.  On 2nd thought holding off to make sure.  Hell the patch could be what? 5 gig?

I read somewhere 3gigs.

btw, patching is good, but don't mean the servers will be online, so I'm off to bed soon :D bb was fun forum night hehe

Yeah - like 3-4 gigs - with everyone doing it at the same time of course.  Either way, not many people, if any, will be playing AoC RotGS today and most will be playing tommorow afternoon/evening.

Damn with all this excitement in the air I might just down the coffee and watch the patcher.  Reminds me of waiting for one of the first big wow patches.

dude........stop.

EU is not up now, from what they seem to be saying they are bringing the patch servers up (eu now then us to follow) so you can start patching down the update but the server downtime is still ongoing as annoucned.

Patching up now - servers still hours away.  Is good thing they did but not what you said above suggesting they are coming up now.

"EU Servers have opened up for patching. The US servers will follow. The servers will not be online as this is only the patch servers. This is a good sign that ALL regions will open VERY shortly!

- Famine"

dude........stop.

EU is not up now, from what they seem to be saying they are bringing the patch servers up (eu now then us to follow) so you can start patching down the update but the server downtime is still ongoing as annoucned.

"EU Servers have opened up for patching. The US servers will follow. The servers will not be online as this is only the patch servers. This is a good sign that ALL regions will open VERY shortly!

- Famine"

ya :

Unread Today, 02:53

Report Post   Quicklight is online now   #1238

Quicklight vbmenu_register("postmenu_1635457", true);

Tempest of Set Cimmerian

Ragnarok

English server Fury PvP

92,8mb + 13,7mb + 3.67gb!

US patch part 4/4 is 3.67 gig getting between 3.5 mb/s to 500 kb/s.  Not too bad. 

Logged in at 10:20 pm est.  Word to yo motha!  Good job funcom you overdelivered finally.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Just home from work, patcher up in US all good to go now :)