Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I see someone has put the pressure on here.

HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

[quote][Mod Edit]: Due to an influx of threads that are disatisfied with STO, I consolidated a General thread for users to list their complaints. Keep in mind, trolling and flaming will not be tolerated, so please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.[/quote]

Kind of funny that they're trying to help Cryptic out here. Well we've seen it already with a few threads getting ghost locked when the title tries to warn people off. Why do the mods care how many threads from people that are disatisfied with Cryptic get started? It's not their game.

Oh wait, I forgot, the advertisement dollars from Atari/CCP/Cryptic.

Nice mmorpg.com..... real nice.

Comments

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Questoning moderation is a complete no..no whether here or on STO forums or any other gaming forums. But i guess you never learn do you? I am sure MMORPG.COM knows how to run their own site better then you.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Shastra

Questoning moderation is a complete no..no whether here or on STO forums or any other gaming forums. But i guess you never learn do you? I am sure MMORPG.COM knows how to run their own site better then you.

... and you care so much about STO why? If you enjoy the game, just why aren't you playing it? You seem pretty invested in defending it here, and spending a heck of a lot of time doing. Would a game need defending if it was as good as you seem to think it is? If it was, wouldn't you just be enjoying it and confident that it wouldn't matter what negative thing anyone said about it, because a good game is a good game?

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Much as I hate too, I have to agree with Shastra here.

You're playing with fire questioning the mods!image

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Hagonbok

... and you care so much about STO why? If you enjoy the game, just why aren't you playing it? You seem pretty invested in defending it here, and spending a heck of a lot of time doing. Would a game need defending if it was as good as you seem to think it is? If it was, wouldn't you just be enjoying it and confident that it wouldn't matter what negative thing anyone said about it, because a good game is a good game?

I surely don't spend more time then you here. ;) maybe an hour or two on and off. But that is not the point. You were telling moderators how to run their site. Don't try to change the subject now.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Hagonbok

I surely don't spend more time then you here. ;) maybe an hour or two on and off. But that is not the point. You were telling moderators how to run their site. Don't try to change the subject now.

What change the subject? It's not like I'm unaware that the thread will get moderated and I might get an infraction, but obviously to me asking the question and informing some (however few) of just why I think it's happening, is more than worth it. Thanks for taking time to point out the blindingly obvious though. Yer just awesome!

• jugfacejugface Member Posts: 41

I'm sure the mods are big enough to stand up for ourselves without idle jobsworths wading in to fight the good fight. I'm also sure that they encourage constructive criticism from time to time. Right? Right?????????!!!!

• ArlettaArletta Member Posts: 63

I hate to say it but if I were a mod of these forums (and I have been a forum mod amongst other things) I'd consolidate the complaints of STO into one thread as well.  They're an overwhelming number of them.  It's easier if they're all in one place, especially since they all more or less say the same thing.

Telling mods what to do isn't a wise idea.  Accusing them of taking backhanders is another....not wise thing to be doing.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Arletta

I hate to say it but if I were a mod of these forums (and I have been a forum mod amongst other things) I'd consolidate the complaints of STO into one thread as well.  They're an overwhelming number of them.  It's easier if they're all in one place, especially since they all more or less say the same thing.

Telling mods what to do isn't a wise idea.  Accusing them of taking backhanders is another....not wise thing to be doing.

yeah thats was my point when i posted that in another thread. the mods here have pointed out that the game is so bad that they now want all the posts in one spot

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

This thread is being locked for review.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hey guys,

I've had a minute to take a look at what's going on here and I'm going to have to concur with our moderators here. We have absolutely no issue with players expressing their general dissatisfaction with the game, however, there doesn't need to be 20 threads on it as another user pointed out, and so having what essentially amounts to a single consolidated thread for this purpose seems prudent.

We are not on the take with Cryptic. Come on guys, this is video games were talking about, no need to get good ol' Serpico out. There is no conspiracy, we are simply trying to improve the forum going experience for all of you and having pages cluttered with new threads that essentially complain about the same thing is hardly necessary.

I know we've all been burnt by many games in the past few years, but I assure you that we're on your side, we, myself, the rest of the MMORPG staff, including the moderators, love these games as much as you do and we're simply doing our best to improve the efficiency of the platform we're providing you to discuss them in. A general dissatisaction thread seems like a good idea in this case.

Of course, I am always open to feedback, so if you have a compelling reason against it feel free to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected], my door is always open!

Have a happy monday!

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I don't think you guys are on the take with Cryptic Mike. But, it did seem awefully strange that this forum was "cleaned up" the exact same time the STO forums were sanitized for the welcome back weekend. That's why I think people were speculating. I think it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Originally posted by Xondar123

I don't think you guys are on the take with Cryptic Mike. But, it did seem awefully strange that this forum was "cleaned up" the exact same time the STO forums were sanitized for the welcome back weekend. That's why I think people were speculating. I think it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

We try and keep things clean every day!

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I honestly don't think it matters if the moderators were/are on the take here at all, the game stinks so bad it is not a far stretch to assume that there would be way too many threads complaining about the same things so you guys get another vote of confidence from me.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

You are old if you remember who Serpico was.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

You are old if you remember who Serpico was.

>.>

<.<

I know nothing–NOTHING!

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

My only issue with consolidating threads is that it leaves a unsincere impression for somone visiting the forum. If the page is full of positive threads and only one thread seems negative it would appear that the majority are in favor of the game...even though this may not be the case.

That being said I can easily see why the mods would choose to consolidate. Also, I cannot think of a better way to clean up the threads and all they can do is ask for posters to be civil during their flame purging...

I guess, I am in the belief that threads should simply be locked if they get way out of hand, users suspended if they continue the fight in a newly made thread, otherwise, let the truth ring free:

STO is a baaaaad game (for most MMORPGers).

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Arletta

yeah.. and they should do the EXACT same thing for all the post that praise a game  too?   Tit for tat?  All the post complimenting a game say the same thing.. Therefore we don't need but ONE of them too..  Right?   I hate to have double standards in rules and policies.. Unless one admits to it and owns up to it..  :)

oh heck.. lets just turn all forums into 2 post everywhere..  1 that likes it, and 1 that doesn't..  LOL

• ArlettaArletta Member Posts: 63

lol maybe you should email Mike with that suggestion :P

•  

As much as I think the OP is being rude and stupid accusing mmorpg.com of being on the take, combining all negative threads into one is the wrong way to go.

I understand it is easier to moderate, but I really think it is interfering too much. It is like being treated as a kid who is being too noisy and is asked to go outside.

I also agree with another poster that the number of "unhappy" threads is a way to guage how a community feels about a game.

If the same person starts multiple threads all on the same topic, then fair enough close all of those down except one.

If lots of different people start lots of different threads all criticising the game in their own words, and for slightly different reasons, leave it alone.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by Strap

As much as I think the OP is being rude and stupid accusing mmorpg.com of being on the take, combining all negative threads into one is the wrong way to go.

I understand it is easier to moderate, but I really think it is interfering too much. It is like being treated as a kid who is being too noisy and is asked to go outside.

I also agree with another poster that the number of "unhappy" threads is a way to guage how a community feels about a game.

If the same person starts multiple threads all on the same topic, then fair enough close all of those down except one.

If lots of different people start lots of different threads all criticising the game in their own words, and for slightly different reasons, leave it alone.

/agree.  If different people want to create new posts about their experience with STO even if negative they should be allowed.  I think its good to gage how a game is doing when you hit the STO general forum and see a page of "this game is crap" threads.  Since the STO forum is largely dead anyhow its not like there is much to moderate. 

Just to be clear the designated thread is not to roll in any subject that is negative about STO. It is for the "STO is bad/ dissapointment" type threads. We don't need 100 of those.

If something like the recent STO Council thing comes up again and you want to create a new thread about it to discuss it that is more than appropriate.

However having 8 threads stating that STO is bad or a disappointment just clutters the forum and you can express your general dissatisfaction with the game (thus the thread title) in the designated thread.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by MikeB

Just to be clear the designated thread is not to roll in any subject that is negative about STO. It is for the "STO is bad/ dissapointment" type threads. We don't need 100 of those.

If something like the recent STO Council thing comes up again and you want to create a new thread about it to discuss it that is more than appropriate.

However having 8 threads stating that STO is bad or a disappointment just clutters the forum and you can express your general dissatisfaction with the game (thus the thread title) in the designated thread.

Then expect many more threads Mike because the Cryptic PR department cooks up new schemes almost weekly to enrage the player base.

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by Strap

That's because the parent gets sick and tired of the kid refusing to listen to them when they tell them to keep their voice down. And  then the kid just acts like he/she is unable to process the simple command. It's for the child's own good, otherwise the parent will most likely punt them.

But I agree, moderation is key here. It may seem like they are favoring Cryptic. But when you have a bunch of kids screaming in the house and they refuse to listen to reason (multiple thread post reiterating the same thing). It's time to kick them outside (consolidate the threads), because they appear to be unable to govern themselves appropriately.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

does it really matter if there only one main "negative" thread?

every time someone posts something "positive" about this game 10 people call bullshit on it and state why they think what the poster has said isnt the case. lets be honest, there isnt much positive to post about sto, except that someone tried to create a star trek mmo. they failed in so many ways its comical.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by raistalin69

does it really matter if there only one main "negative" thread?

every time someone posts something "positive" about this game 10 people call bullshit on it and state why they think what the poster has said isnt the case. lets be honest, there isnt much positive to post about sto, except that someone tried to create a star trek mmo. they failed in so many ways its comical.

LOL that made me chuckle--how true