Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dawntide - new(?) sandbox game

docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Anyone knows more/has been following Dawntide?

http://dawntide.net/

Looks interesting, but then, every non-released game nowadays does...

imageimage

Comments

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

nvm, saw another thread, albeit with little info, so it seems pretty new and unknown so far

imageimage

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I've known about it for like 4 or so months now, Ive been trying to get into the beta to help test it but have ran into nothing but bad luck every time.  Keys got lost in cyber space people giving keys away right before I asked.  I guess its not ment to be to test the game.

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

How is the game at its core?  Does it play well?  I would imagine it being buggy as its in a rough stage of development atm.

Does it have new ideas?  New twists on Old ideas?  Does it bring anything new to the genre?

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

Played it for a couple of days, it's too incomplete to judge...

Crafting doesn't seem very compelling, it's standard WoW style. 

I uninstalled because suddenly they give you quests and tell you where to go.

How can it be sandbox if they tell you where to go?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by Gylfi

Played it for a couple of days, it's too incomplete to judge...

Crafting doesn't seem very compelling, it's standard WoW style. 

I uninstalled because suddenly they give you quests and tell you where to go.

How can it be sandbox if they tell you where to go?

Last time i checked the most sandbox considered game "EVE" had autop pilot which would let you go to mission places.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

"Sandbox" ≠ "Absolutely no quests at all, ever"

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

Originally posted by jonrd463

This.

If you dont mind testing, and I mean testing (game is too rugged to enjoy smooth playing)

But maybe give it another couple of months before trying for a key. Atm, its very rugged around the edges.

I ran around exploring for a few hours killing stuff, and never saw any quests. It reminded me very much of my first few hours of EQ 1999, except that mobs were floating in the air, and I could run through walls and such :) - I'd say its as much a Sandbox mmo as EQ1 was - for what its worth. I only spend a few hours on it. There might have been quests over the next hill.

Theres a pretty broad consensus that EQ1 was sandbox, but ofcourse EQ1 had quests in it too. EVE has missions... etc. So lets not get a.n.a.l about the word and agree that there are games that fit the description even if they had a handfull of quests in there along the way.image

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

If you dont mind testing, and I mean testing (game is too rugged to enjoy smooth playing) and if you like sandbox mmo's about as hardcore as EQ1 1999, then you'd like this.

But maybe give it another couple of months before trying for a key. Atm, its very rugged around the edges.

Will do, the game looks like it might have a chance which is cool!image

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Game is in some area's old skool grafhics bit more advanced then old games from around 2000, combat rather sucks its slow and auto attack.

World looks nice ok graphics.

Crafting bit awekward.

Its free for all and full loot but starter area is no pvp zone and rather big.

When you chop a tree or mine when empty it dissapear for while.

Its not very difficult sandbox game.

So far i say  between 6 and7/10.

It have potential but combat need a revamp it realy sucks.

Its sure worth a try for most who seek a old skool sandbox.

Just register on forum chat and irc and show instrest and you get invite, well i got after few weeks anyway.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Nilenya

Theres a pretty broad consensus that EQ1 was sandbox, but ofcourse EQ1 had quests in it too. EVE has missions... etc. So lets not get a.n.a.l about the word and agree that there are games that fit the description even if they had a handfull of quests in there along the way.

Not to be anal, but wtf?  Seriously?  I thought EQ was the original ANTI-sandbox.  It was the opposite of UO, a linear levelgrind to raid content, without any serious crafting, gathering, housing, etc, etc sandbox type stuff.  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by jonrd463

Yes, if you are crossing off the equal sign.. then you would be correct.  Just because a game exhibits sandbox qualities, doesn't mean it can't have some quests.  Just as long as those quests don't force you to do something.  If you're willing to take a guide, why not take it?  If you're not, then don't.  As long as there is no real endgame, I'm happy.

• gnomechefgnomechef Member Posts: 49

I have played a while on the beta testing, and i must say it definitely like one person said before "too incomplete to judge", there are multiple performance issues, combat is not working at all at the moment (no animations), clunky controls, sync issues, memory leaks (need a lot of RAM just to run over 30fps), really its more of alpha stage than beta, though the game looks nice and it could be good after some more development time.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Life is a sandbox and it has quests.  Sure you can chose your own path. . but to get there often you have to do certain things you don't choose.

I have not been able to get the beta to run yet.  Windows 7 64 but issue I think. 

If you want in the beta. . make sure you register on the forums there.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!