Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning to build a ~$700 PC - advice please? :D

SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

I'm starting with an extremely modest & cheap setup as this will be my first time attempting this. I'll likely upgrade later on if I get the hang of it image

I'm pretty satisfied with the hardware I've picked so far (atleast I think they will work together image) but I really need help with understanding what cables or adapters I will need. Do motherboards, CPU, GPU, Power supplies usually come with all the cables I will need or should I order some? I did read that OEM hard drives & optical drives don't come with cables.  

Two potential builds..

Intel/Nvidia: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17981967

AMD/ATI: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14694866

I would really appreciate any help! I'd also love to hear about your experiences building a computer and what you'd recommend for a PC-building newbie like myself. image

edit: I added an AMD/ATI build

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Selenica

I'm starting with an extremely modest & cheap setup as this will be my first time attempting this. I'll likely upgrade later on if I get the hang of it image

I'm pretty satisfied with the hardware I've picked so far (atleast I think they will work together image) but I really need help with understanding what cables or adapters I will need. Do motherboards, CPU, GPU, Power supplies usually come with all the cables I will need or should I order some? I did read that OEM hard drives & optical drives don't come with cables.  

Here's my list so far:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17981967

I would really appreciate any help! I'd also love to hear about your experiences building a computer and what you'd recommend for a PC-building newbie like myself. image

Hey Selencia how you doing :)

First up the Motherboard and PSU come with all the casbles. Also branded cases come with all the neccessary fixtures and fitting too.

Some intital impressions.

I would change the HD to something better. Something like this is not much more http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=49228&promoid=1069&vpn=0S00163&manufacture=Hitachi

Also if possible go for a WD Black drive.

You wont need this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812104652 as there will be ones with your PSU

Same with the Sata cable but always good to keep a spare.

The CPU with come with thermal compound on the Heat Sink that will be sufficient enough to save $10 there.

I can have a better look tomorrow when have more time. There are some good people on the hardware boards here who will give some good advice!

• CrosiusCrosius Member Posts: 129

You should really bump that gpu up to 256-bit at least. The gig of ram is nice but the interface is really sub par. If you're looking in the 100$ price range http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261062 is really much better.

Also some reading for you http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/427324.aspx

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

Hi image Long time no see Avery.. Thanks for helping me you guys.

That Hitache HDD is a great deal, especially since it comes with the necessary cables & software install discs unlike that other one I had chosen. image

I also added the GTS 250 to the list (which seems like a decent price for the significant performance boost) but it looks like I need to upgrade to a higher wattage power supply. It says the GTS 250 has a 450W minimum requirement. Would it be wise for me to get something significantly more beefy so I have enough wattage for expansion later on? Or do PSUs not have long enough lifespans that I should worry about that?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I would do 7 things.  Since you are using a cheap setup, I would use a complete AMD rig.  A Core i3 isn't going to cut it against a competing AM3 board.  Need atleast a Core i7 to surpass a competing AM3 rig.  Like an AMD Phenom II 925 at $132, and an ASROCK 880G Mobo for $110.

Next thing I would do is replace the wireless adapter.  There are certain companies that are known for routing and its best to choose one of them.  Cysco, Linksys, DLink, TrendNet, and Netgear.  Also the wireless adapter you are using does 2 things that may cause problems.  Its not extended from the PC so it can get interference, and its a small antenna.  To Correct most of these problems I recommend this Netgear Adapter for $13.  However, I am not a wireless expert and think most wireless is crap.

I would use an ATI video card.  For the price of $130 you can get an AMD card that will trounce a GTS250 and runs DX11 like this one.  XFX HD5750 $130.

You don't need thermal paste if you are using a stock cooler.

You might need a little more bite in your PSU.  Like this OCZ for $55.

Your board regardless of AM3 or Intel LGA1156 will need to use DDR3 memory.  You have DDR2 memory selected.

You need an operating system.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Hi  Long time no see Avery.. Thanks for helping me you guys.

That Hitache HDD is a great deal, especially since it comes with the necessary cables & software install discs unlike that other one I had chosen. 

I also added the GTS 250 to the list (which seems like a decent price for the significant performance boost) but it looks like I need to upgrade to a higher wattage power supply. It says the GTS 250 has a 450W minimum requirement. Would it be wise for me to get something significantly more beefy so I have enough wattage for expansion later on? Or do PSUs not have long enough lifespans that I should worry about that?

You would be ok with the PSU you chose though, or the one Cleffy picked out would be even better. The 450W recommendation is for cheap knock offs, a Corsair at 400W would handle the GTS 250 fine.

You have a pretty good setup there though. For the parts you have picked the only thing I would definitely change is the hard drive brand. Also personally I'd go for a $50 case and save a bunch of money there, and drop the thermal compound since the stock fan comes with a thermal pad on the heatsink and if you aren't planning on OC'ing the stock heatsink setup is fine.

For your video card, the GTS 250 is a good card but I wouldn't pay more than $115 for one. The 512MB version of that card is fine if it saves some cash, the settings that card can handle don't require 1GB of vram anyway. At $130 you're getting pretty close to the $150 Radeon 5770 which is a much better card so that could be an option if you dropped the case down a notch.

But if you go with what you have you'd be doing pretty good for a budget PC. Like Cleffy pointed out make sure to switch the RAM for DDR3 memory (preferably DDR3-1600 CAS Latency 8 or lower if you can but not a big deal). Also you don't need any cables.

Thanks for your replies. I put together a potential ATI/AMD build that comes out to almost the exact same price. I have never owned a computer with an AMD processor so I'll have to read up more on them. 

I've always been afraid to build my own computer.. I'm really not a handy kinda girl, but if the instructions are clear and easy to understand than I should be able to manage. imageThe thing driving me to do this is that my current computer has pretty much gone kaput. Sometime in the next month I need to either build my own PC or buy a pre-made/brand name one.

Oh and..... I also plan to use my HDTV as a monitor for the PC. It has a native resolution of only 1366x738 so I think that might actually help make games more playable for me. The only issue is my PS3 & Xbox 360 might get jealous. image

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Thanks for your replies. I put together a potential ATI/AMD build that comes out to almost the exact same price. I have never owned a computer with an AMD processor so I'll have to read up more on them. 

I've always been afraid to build my own computer.. I'm really not a handy kinda girl, but if the instructions are clear and easy to understand than I should be able to manage. imageThe thing driving me to do this is that my current computer has pretty much gone kaput. Sometime in the next month I need to either build my own PC or buy a pre-made/brand name one.

Oh and..... I also plan to use my HDTV as a monitor for the PC. It has a native resolution of only 1366x738 so I think that might actually help make games more playable for me. The only issue is my PS3 & Xbox 360 might get jealous. image

Only thing you might consider is RAM with tighter timings. Either these if your budget allows, or these if you want to save a few bucks.

Edit: you might also be able to save a some bucks buying a case/PSU combo.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Hi selenica, i would still suggest going for 5770 video ca rd instead of 5750.

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

The 5770 is only $20 more for the XFX version, and definitely worth the money. You could save this on a slightly cheaper processor or case.

You will only see small gains in similar processors, but going from a 5750 to a 5770 will see substantial gains.

• desperauxdesperaux Member Posts: 25

If your looking to save a bit more money in exchange for the looks of the pc, i would suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811164093 . it may be a slightly flimsy case, but if your moving it alot, it works perfectly for alot less money. i Currently have my 700$ build in this case and its awesome for the money. the 5770 is a great card + the amd 945 is a great build. the only other thing i would suggest is beefing up to PSU to a 500W.... also dont forget to add an OS

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

on average you can probably buy them pre-made cheaper espacially online they often make insane sale because they cannot have biig inventory so the computer you think of building might already be on special on newegg or elsewere online for 400 $ instead of 800$!make your own is nice but if you can have everything the same but already pre-made why not!just stay away from dell,hp,acer!they tend to be a nighmare!too much useless software (trial mainly)

and very low garanty compared to seperate component but often newegg will go package deal

like this graphic card with this mobo etc for cheap just not what you want and keep watch when it finally goes on special jump on it!

I've thought about buying a pre-built but I've read nothing but horror stories about them. The shipping fees are also ridiculous. I'd prefer to just buy parts locally.