Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a sad thing that I am looking so much more forward to single player games?

dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Being a long time MMO fan that started way back with AOLs Never Winter Nights, M59, and Everquest, I find it sad that I am looking more forward to "not only" single player (OK, some have co-op) games and "OMG" Console games than the upcoming, slim pickins that are MMOs.

So there are a few MMO releases that have some of my attention. I pre-ordered Rise of the Godslayer, and am looking forward to DC online some but I am not hyped by much coming down  the pike. APB looks interesting but only so- so on it and I could care less if Azeroth falls off into the swirling abyss. Secret World and The Old Republic both have me mildly attentive too.

What I am awaiting are Red Dead Redemption, Alpha Protocol, and Alan Wake, to name a few. All are console games with Alpha Protocol being both console and PC. I will be getting the PC version when I can. The point is, these games look FANTASTIC and are blowing away anything in the MMO arena right now. Heck, watch Red Dead Redemptions Multiplayer and that even has me more hyped then most MMOs coming up.

The MMO industry needs to get a jolt and make some darn good games or the future is grim. After years of playing MMORPGs I need to see some real inovation and if that is not possible then at least some solid gameplay and story elements.

I hope that The Old Republic will satisfy the MMORPG itch for me and maybe APB for the Co-op twitch based game. For now though I have Champions for my casual play and AOC for my fantasy RPG MMO fix but that is about it.

Anyway, a sad time for an MMO fan to be sure.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by dougmysticey

The MMO industry needs to get a jolt and make some darn good games or the future is grim. After years of playing MMORPGs I need to see some real inovation and if that is not possible then at least some solid gameplay and story elements.

I think that is just around the corner.

It is not just TOR, Guildwars 2 have released some really really interesting info lately and the story there is written by a rather good author. The whole Dynamic world system has never been done before.

World of Darkness online seems to have some very different things also, CCP are not doing the same as other companies and the cooperation with White Wolf is very interesting.

Copernicus have Salvatore and McFarlane, they should be able to cook something fun up.

FF XVI also seems rather interesting...

That is 5 games including TOR, hopefully will everything 'cept Copernicus release 2011 and at least one of them should offer a new and fun gameplay. My current bet is on GW2 but all the games seems very interesting, I am very curious on WoDO also, CCP are secretive about it.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

It's not sad at all.  The MMO industry lacks innovation.  Everyone takes the safe route cause they lack the motivation and/or imagination to take worthwhile risks they would prove to be profitable.

But to be on topic,  I look forward to Diablo 3.  While it's not strictly a single player game,  I think the first few play throughs by myself with different classes will be fun.

Edit:  As far as the upcoming MMOs,  I hope they are good.  I don't hold faith in them anymore until I see it firsthand.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

For me it is like this, mmos have up until Diablo 3 to make a major impression on me because once Diablo 3 is here I hate to say it but I doubt I will have much interest in pc mmos anymore. I'll be eagerly awaiting mmos like Dust514, Undead Labs zombie mmo, FFXIV,possibly turbines console mmo and maybe even The Agency on the console. On that note there will be better non mmos thia year yet again compared to mmos.

1. Red Dead Redemption

2. Alan Wake

3. Brink

4. Fallout: New Vegas

5. Rage

6. Dragon Age

7. Mass Effect 2

8. God of War 3

9. Starcraft 2

10. Hunted: Demons Forge

11. Torchlight multiplayer

12. Alpha Protocol

13. Final Fantasy XIII

14. Halo Reach

15. Fable 3

I just gave you 15 games that might make it in 2010 and I can guarantee people will rather pay 50-60 bucks a pop including purchasing dlc rather than play mmos in 2010. So no, don't feel bad that you feel single player games seem more appealing to you.