Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone worked @ EBgames/Gamestop?

LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

So I recently got fired fom Starbucks after a year of employment and found that my local EB was hiring. I've "known" the manager for a year or two as I always go there to buy games. She seems friendly enough that it wouldn't mirror my Starbucks experiences but...

Has anyone who's worked there got any bad stories? I know most retail stories are the same, but I'm just curious...what pissed you off about working there? (I could list a crap ton about Sbux).

EDIT: Forgot to say. This is a part time job, 1 - 2 shifts per week from what my manager told me. I'll be doing this for 2 years min. Most likely quitting 3rd year because I'll have coop which pays 20-30 an hour for at least 6 months.

I live to go faster...or die trying.

Comments

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

I never have but just a warning; you may have to doubly resilient in trying to get a job at GameStop right now. Employment difficulties of the time aside, GameCrazy just went out of business and is closing stores everywhere, so I imagine a lot of their employees are going to be turning to GameStop as well.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by sepher

I never have but just a warning; you may have to doubly resilient in trying to get a job at GameStop right now. Employment difficulties of the time aside, GameCrazy just went out of business and is closing stores everywhere, so I imagine a lot of their employees are going to be turning to GameStop as well.

No worries. Manager already said I'm getting an interview 100%. Interview usually means I'll get hired...hell, I've never been rejected after an interview.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Just be prepared to answer lots of calls regarding Battletoads.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Yes, I have plenty of horror stories about Gamestop in reference to their employees.  However, all the horror stories are customers having problems with the employees not the other way around.  They seem to have a knack at hiring lazy clique good for nothings and making the customer experience at least uncomfortable.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by Cleffy

Yes, I have plenty of horror stories about Gamestop in reference to their employees.  However, all the horror stories are customers having problems with the employees not the other way around.  They seem to have a knack at hiring lazy clique good for nothings and making the customer experience at least uncomfortable.

Gamestop is the reason they invented Steam. I'd buy my games from wal-marx over that shitty store anyday. Also, walmart has a bigger computer game section anyway.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I worked for Babbages back when they were still around image

Best part about working there was we could try games out for free, any games we had in the store.  Worst part?  Low pay, and that people just don't buy a lot of retail software anymore.  I would guess if you want to work there these days, you gotta know your console stuff because they sell mostly console games these days.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Ewww... you're from Markham image

Anyways, one of my friends worked for EB Games for I think 2 years.  It was low pay and the customers can be "trying"...  He also did mention drama regarding some of the managers but I suppose this happens everywhere in this line of work.  He no longer works there because I guess he just got tired of it.  It might be the place for you since you're only doing it as a temporary job (hopefully) and will leave like you said in 2 years... even then I don't know if I'd want to work there that long but that's just me.  I'm not a retail kind of person.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by Illius

Ewww... you're from Markham image

Anyways, one of my friends worked for EB Games for I think 2 years.  It was low pay and the customers can be "trying"...  He also did mention drama regarding some of the managers but I suppose this happens everywhere in this line of work.  He no longer works there because I guess he just got tired of it.  It might be the place for you since you're only doing it as a temporary job (hopefully) and will leave like you said in 2 years... even then I don't know if I'd want to work there that long but that's just me.  I'm not a retail kind of person.

Well, it just seems that searching on google is giving me some pretty weird results, such as wages not being paid. But all of those posts are regarding people in the US. In Canada, at to my knowledge and Ontario, the wage issue only occurs with Asian businesses (ie. pay in cash).

And from what you've told me, and the other stuff on Google, it just seems like people whining because they can whine. After working at Sbux for a year, I guess all retail is like that =/

Hopefully this store will have the mindset of "stfu, do your job, everyone's happy".

• I think you're going to find the same kinds of problems at Gamestop as at any retail job. If you know and like the merchandise it will probably make things easier, but you're still going to deal with the usual problems. And prepare to obsess over reservations. I understand Gamestop hammers their employees relentlessly about getting reservations from customers. There may be some corporate quota going on. Probably explains why I get begged to reserve something any time I look in my local Gamestop.

It's good that your interested in doing it relatively short-term. I have a feeling Gamestop will be going the way of Blockbuster Video before long, as in down the drain. The march of technology and the internet just makes such places less useful all the time.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i've never worked there but i remember a few years back there was a story of a guy who went into ebgames and started talking to the employee there about WoW. it turned out that they both played in the same server AND they were both on opposing guilds who were always competing with eachother. the worker at store proceeded to bunch the customer in the face because of it or was it the other way around? tip: dont talk about mmos with people there.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Salio69

i've never worked there but i remember a few years back there was a story of a guy who went into ebgames and started talking to the employee there about WoW. it turned out that they both played in the same server AND they were both on opposing guilds who were always competing with eachother. the worker at store proceeded to bunch the customer in the face because of it or was it the other way around? tip:dont punch customers in the face.

fixed.

Never worked there, but i can only hope that you wont be the kind of person that cleffy described... i've run in to plenty of them and although i'm in the store for all of 5-10 mins, they make it a terrible 5-10mins, atleast for the times i have a question, or am curious about a game or policy they have.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I love the people who work at my local Gamestop.  I can't even begin to tell you how much help they've been.  I don't know if they're happy where they work, but they SEEM happy.  In any case, they're pretty young and it's likely this is a job while they're at university or something - I don't really know.  They're obviously gamers, too.  Two of the staff who worked in the Gamestop in Princeton, NJ when I lived there a few years ago were awesome, too.  Good luck with the job, wherever you land.