Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Celebrating Seven Years of EVE

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Seven years ago today CCP Games launched their sci-fi space-faring MMO EVE Online, and 12 expansions, and over 300,000 players later we're only a short two weeks from the launch of  the game's 13th expansion, Tyrannis.

Looking ahead, CCP Games will launch DUST 514, a console FPS based in the EVE universe, which will hopefully crossover well with the console crowd, and will share a unique connection with its MMO counterpart.

View the official announcement here.

When did you start playing EVE? And what do you feel was the most important addition to the game since you started playing? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Started playing around three years ago.

If i had to pick a favorite expansion it would be Apocrypha.

Wormholes, T3, epic arc, newbie revamp (got a ton of my buddies to join the game due to that).

Was the closest CCP has ever gotten to a perfect expansion imo.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

i have been with eve for around 4 years now seen this game go up and down nerf this and fix that but most will laugh but my fav thing is the orca. that sucker is handy just about anywhere and everywhere and i look forward to 4 more years with eve :-)

• ZeroBoogieZeroBoogie Member Posts: 17

I have been with EvE for almost 5 years now, and what i like the most is the Apocrypha expansion, but the best one is to come when walk in station finaly gets here, here's to 100 of years more with EvE :)

Cheers!!!

It's My Way Or The Highway...

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I played for over 5 years and left 6 months or so ago. I was pretty much done, just burned out on it. The ground patch is pretty seductive, I will admit. In any case, no hate, no rage post. EvE is, I said it 5 years ago, 3 years ago, 3 months ago, Unique. Because it can be dark and a little more than heartless, its an on and off game for most.

To anyone who never tried EvE? Do it. It's one of the richest, most detailed, complex MMO's out there and is a true legacy MMO. The eye candy is actually a detriment there. You get caught up in it and find your ass in a pod.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I played back in 2003 but quit a couple years later cause you couldn't solo anymore cause the game got too popular that every system is populated with groups now. In the old days it was mostly empty and when you came across someone they were usually alone. I Liked that because you felt like you were in space and you could do 1 v 1 PVP. Now there's too many people and the community has turned into one of the worst.

Always the way, as soon as something goes popular or tries to go mainstream, it gets ruined.

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

This is a game I follow in the news but actually only played the trail for a few hours, I even was invited for the BETA what about 7+ years ago, thing is I found that mail a year to late, someway it got lost in my 1000 mail inbox. I had opened it and not read it yet and by the time I was ready to read it I forgot to do so. I really did hit myself over the head, literaly I did hit myself.

Now I am still not sure about it. The combat is not like WC and more tactical than simulation. Soo..still not out yet. Maybe one day I will try play it again.

It's great it still up and alive, 300k people playing it a few years ago it were 100k. It's growing. :D

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

My account is running on the 7th year soon. Got into the game a few weeks late despite beeing in beta, simply due to late delivery of the boxed set. I will have to admit that I have grown tired of the game and keep my account alive on PLEX'es atm. to keep skills training. Perhaps the next expansion will ignite my interest again, though I fear not.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Started playing around three years ago.

If i had to pick a favorite expansion it would be Apocrypha.

Wormholes, T3, epic arc, newbie revamp (got a ton of my buddies to join the game due to that).

Was the closest CCP has ever gotten to a perfect expansion imo.

Seconding Apocrypha as the best expansion, possibly tied with Revalations (tier 2 BCs might not be quite as flashy as Tech 3 cruisers, but they're really well balanced, and in routine use by a huge proportion of the playerbase.)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Varny

I played back in 2003 but quit a couple years later cause you couldn't solo anymore cause the game got too popular that every system is populated with groups now. In the old days it was mostly empty and when you came across someone they were usually alone. I Liked that because you felt like you were in space and you could do 1 v 1 PVP. Now there's too many people and the community has turned into one of the worst.

Always the way, as soon as something goes popular or tries to go mainstream, it gets ruined.

Next time you get a free re-sub offer from CCP, check out Wormhole space. It was pretty much specifically created to cater to the playstyle you prefer.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• n-methyl-3n-methyl-3 Member Posts: 10

I started from a beta version and continued for 1.5years and the last year I started again more casually.

Overall I think the most important "addition" was making the game more accessible and friendly.

Manually bookmarking jumping to 1km to gates was a pain and more things like huge jumps /lower profit etc.

While EVE is still very time unfriendly and harsh its more approachable now. 

I love the addition of cloaking, tech2/3 ships and wormholes.

• n-methyl-3n-methyl-3 Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Malcanis

Next time you get a free re-sub offer from CCP, check out Wormhole space. It was pretty much specifically created to cater to the playstyle you prefer.

wh are very dangerous if you don't know what you doing. Some times are more dangerous than 0.0 because its totally unpredictable cirqumstances. You may enter and find no one or you may harrased /podded by players specifically with that intention specially if you flying something fancy.  And being scrambled by a sleeper while you being sniped and or/nos by players is not the best thing.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

EVE is proof that the Europeans got game  = )

Happy Birthday EVE!

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Eve is one of the *very* few games that managed to expand "horizontally", adding more stuff to do, creating whole new ways to play the game (actually you can succeed in many ways, there is no set path once you're gone through the tutorial). Most games nowadays expand only in a vertical sense (adding more end-game to the end-game, only more of the same).

Apocrypha was one of the best expansions (lot of new stuff) but i couldn't test it properly (had to unsubscribe for several months)... as an old player (over 6 years now), i'd say the best one was Red Moon Rising, with 40+ new toys, capital ships, hp boost, drone revamp, new npcs ship classes, the Achura bloodline... and oh, TRACTOR BEAMS! (yay, i love scavenging :P)

Go CCP!! ;)

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I started playing EvE back in 2004. Its by far the best MMO I have ever played. Reason for that is that its player driven just like all MMOs should be.

Best expansions Revelations and Trinity, the first for its change in game play and the second for the grafics uppgrades...

Long live EVE.... 

• killkoolkillkool Member UncommonPosts: 83

I started playing eve since 14 may 2003. Thats when was there for Europe in Amarika is was week sooner.

Have over 120M SP on my first account. For me as a miner I am seeing forward too planet expansion and of course too walking in stations which was us showed already in 2005.

Have 3 accounts now and my gf has also 3 accounts. So overal we are doing our best too make most out of eve.

AK

• wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

I have been playing for about 3 1/2 Years, still on my original account.

After playing EVE that long allot of other MMO's just seem to claustrophobic and limited to me.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

Alpha Tester here.....so thats like almost 10 years ago :/

• surfsk8snowsurfsk8snow Member Posts: 76

Congrats on 7 years of continued growth and improvement in the game!

A unique feature that allows CCP to continue to keep pace with its players is the CSM (Council of Stellar Management).

Everyone should be sure to vote now (voting is open), to be sure your interests in game are represented!

I'm running for the position actually, the only delegate from MMORPG.com!

Check out my website at www.littlethingsfirst.com to check out my platform and message, including a Bio, FAQ, and forums with ideas and suggestions for how to improve the game.

VOTE CINORI ALUBEN CSM5 2010!

VOTE NOW HERE: http://www.eveonline.com/council/voting/Vote.asp?c=328

Cinori Aluben - CSM6 2011
    Fix The Little Things First!
    www.littlethingsfirst.com
    EVE-Online

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I played back in 2003 but quit a couple years later cause you couldn't solo anymore cause the game got too popular that every system is populated with groups now. In the old days it was mostly empty and when you came across someone they were usually alone. I Liked that because you felt like you were in space and you could do 1 v 1 PVP. Now there's too many people and the community has turned into one of the worst. I don't know what game you were playing since with over 5000 solar systems the ARE places that have few to no one around. Get away from the newbie and popular mission hubs. You can only 1v1 in low/null sec anyway without a can theft drop.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• highwindcidhighwindcid Member Posts: 17

300,000 Subscriptions, NOT players. I would say more like 175,000 players at best. Since no other game gives you such a multiboxing advantage. Goes to show how niche EVE is. That can be taken on both good and bad.