Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having fun with free content... after 20 will it suck?

I tried the beta a long time ago and didn't play more than 2 hours being dissapointed after reading years of hype.  I didn't feel that they realy captured conan's world and had issues with several things including the bugs.  I'm having fun since Monday in Tortage playing several hours a day.  I find the char dev, story and combat combines into something addictive for a change and being a graphics whore... 

Now I'm being told that the free content, obviously intended to sell the game, is fun but that it gets repetetive and boring after level 20.  Just seems to me with this much depth and detail in char dev along with new places to discover and the destiny quest it would be worth moving on unless the ball is seriously dropped somewhere.  Obviously I haven't tried pvp so maybe if that turned me off I could see what ppl are saying since that's the main point of the game.  Thoughts by veteran players?  At what level do most people quit I wonder.

If nothing else I can hand it to funcom for giving away this much content.  If I'm not slobbering for more after doing all the tortage stuff I guess it solves the problem.

Comments

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

After 20 it will be like WoW/EQ2 or any other traditional fantasy based MMO.

Where you arrive at a town collect quests go out and do them and come back for rewards. You can run instances in groups and sign up to mini games(pvp).

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by greymann

I tried the beta a long time ago and didn't play more than 2 hours being dissapointed after reading years of hype.  I didn't feel that they realy captured conan's world and had issues with several things including the bugs.  I'm having fun since Monday in Tortage playing several hours a day.  I find the char dev, story and combat combines into something addictive for a change and being a graphics whore... 

Now I'm being told that the free content, obviously intended to sell the game, is fun but that it gets repetetive and boring after level 20.  Just seems to me with this much depth and detail in char dev along with new places to discover and the destiny quest it would be worth moving on unless the ball is seriously dropped somewhere.  Obviously I haven't tried pvp so maybe if that turned me off I could see what ppl are saying since that's the main point of the game.  Thoughts by veteran players?  At what level do most people quit I wonder.

If nothing else I can hand it to funcom for giving away this much content.  If I'm not slobbering for more after doing all the tortage stuff I guess it solves the problem.

After Tortage the game world opens upp alot more and you play large playfields with less loading. The q are stil fun and it think most players stop playing at lvl 80. You dont need to grind to lvl upp and there is alot of fun quests(Just a few quest have talking(audio)). Try it for 30days and get your self a guild.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

No you won't stuck infact leveling is too fast. You won't feel ever that you are grinding to next level. Its a  smooth ride and flow of missions/story  is continuous.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

As poster above me wrote, the game is pretty much like most MMO's out there in terms of content and progression. That said, a number of the quests are entertaining and the zones become larger and more open ended after Tortage. I always find the journey through the levels entertaining.

It's 15 bucks for you to find out if you are the same as me, not a bad investment :) 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Shastra

No you won't stuck infact leveling is too fast. You won't feel ever that you are grinding to next level. Its a  smooth ride and flow of missions/story  is continuous.

This, especially now with the offline leveling system. Every 4 days you get a free level to add to a character that's 30+. The questing stays roughly the same (with less VO). The stories remain the same caliber as well as the objectives, and plots.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177

I'm a new player..more casual due to work constraints, however I really enjoy the game post tortage and find the landscapes and climb ability a massive  freedom plus over other mmo's I have played, along with with general movement control and character dynamics.........so in my opinion being new to AOC I would recommend you go forth and mutilate.. 

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Thanks for the replies.  So I assume the destiny quest ends once you find who you are in the free content.  Are there any more day/night options after 20 where it's single player?  I kinda like that and hope they continue it.  Looks like from the comments if I can make it to 20 I may buy the game.  I honestly never thought I'd be returning to a game I was disgusted with at first.  

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I actually enjoy post tortage now more. I find the levels just fly by now though, you shouldn't worry about that. The leveling is almost too fast.

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

Well i think its same with every other mmo but this game is kinda unique in a way. After lv 20 there are lot of things to do and dungeon to explore. its not really that empty. Maybe join up a new guild that would help and group together. The awesome just stick to it for a while at least to end game to judge

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

I will not lie, the game changes back to a regular paced MMO after tortage. Same old quest for this and that, with random story line quests every 20-10 levels. Some quests are voiced, some aren't. Although I can say that most of the quests actually do have somewhat exciting story lines if you spend time to read them. In my opinion it gets better in certain aspects, worse in others. Still the experience is by far the best I've had since SWG.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I stopped playing last year my bear shaman was 37 i think and i had done all the quests in the appropriate zones, i had no where to go, everything else was 40+, i dunno if they changed the pace at which you level up doing quests but personally i found out that at 37 only thing left to do was grind to 40.

• stckmojostckmojo Member Posts: 61

For me, the 1-80 was very enjoyable in Aoc... There is a rich storyline, wonderful scenery and the combat system keeps you busy and forget about grinding if you have to.   

The problem though is after 80 AoC turns into the A-typical grindfest for pvp levels, gear, more gear and buff whoring.  When they strayed from the original "gear means nothing" formula, it really made the game feel cheap and like all the other second rate mmo's out there.

If you are dead set on playing, pick up a key and gamecard online or on ebay. You can get a working aoc key for like 2 bucks now and a 2 month time card for 14... That is a good investment for two months of entertainment, but don't plan on having fun unless you raid your pants off or join a zerg guild at 80.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I think that's where the expansion kicks in and that lateral leveling system. No raising of the level cap but lost of content in it aimed at L80.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Thanks for the replies.  So I assume the destiny quest ends once you find who you are in the free content.  Are there any more day/night options after 20 where it's single player?  I kinda like that and hope they continue it.  Looks like from the comments if I can make it to 20 I may buy the game.  I honestly never thought I'd be returning to a game I was disgusted with at first.  

There are no more day/night options past 20 but the Destiny quest continues all the way up to 80 although not at the same intensity as it was in Tortage. You get a few quests at different levels where you still follow the story.

A lot were disgusted with the game on release but it now has a new Games Director who is actually very good. The game's main issues have all been addressed since launch, this ranges from video performance to the revamping the armor and classes. PvP levels were introduced and lots of other things for guild management etc and some fluff in the way of pets. 

There is an adequate populatiuon to make the game work through all levels of the game and with the up coming expansion a lot of people will come back and stay as there is no real reason to leave this time. The expansion as mentioned above, has no level cap increase and is aimed at providing content at level cap, which will put an end to the content issue, a problem that haunts most mmos (content at cap).

All in all AoC has turned the corner and is more or less on par with any other successful MMO out there, It has an awful lot going for it, like top notch animation, super graphics, realistic looking armor and unquie classes, gorgeous play areas, unquie combat system etc. It is not perfect but has a dedicated following a serious (well funded)dev team and a excellent Games Director and can only get better.

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by VultureSkull

There are no more day/night options past 20 but the Destiny quest continues all the way up to 80 although not at the same intensity as it was in Tortage. You get a few quests at different levels where you still follow the story.

A lot were disgusted with the game on release but it now has a new Games Director who is actually very good. The game's main issues have all been addressed since launch, this ranges from video performance to the revamping the armor and classes. PvP levels were introduced and lots of other things for guild management etc and some fluff in the way of pets. 

There is an adequate populatiuon to make the game work through all levels of the game and with the up coming expansion a lot of people will come back and stay as there is no real reason to leave this time. The expansion as mentioned above, has no level cap increase and is aimed at providing content at level cap, which will put an end to the content issue, a problem that haunts most mmos (content at cap).

All in all AoC has turned the corner and is more or less on par with any other successful MMO out there, It has an awful lot going for it, like top notch animation, super graphics, realistic looking armor and unquie classes, gorgeous play areas, unquie combat system etc. It is not perfect but has a dedicated following a serious (well funded)dev team and a excellent Games Director and can only get better.

Yeaaah, I think I'll go ahead and disagree with this post... The game STILL, after 2 years, crashes and freezes a lot, and has graphical issues (black lines appear from time to time) when you enable "Shadows from everything" option, and sometimes your own shadow is displayed as a... square... around you :))

Without bloom on (which EATS your fps) the game looks like its black&white...

Apart from these I haven't noticed anything bad yet...

• bennonbennon Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by ConjureOne

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Yeaaah, I think I'll go ahead and disagree with this post... The game STILL, after 2 years, crashes and freezes a lot, and has graphical issues (black lines appear from time to time) when you enable "Shadows from everything" option, and sometimes your own shadow is displayed as a... square... around you :))

Well I dont have such problems with crashes or  graphical buggs. I dont really think that your opinion and experience is something that generally happens to every player. Have you thought that it may be your computer caousing the the issues?For me it runs fine and the game is plain beautifull, and the gameplay experience is the best compared to many other games. 

You just gotta love such posts xD

In BC2 everything is fine, in WoW everything is fine, in EVE everything is fine... in AoC I have crashes and bugs and all of a sudden its my computer's fault xDDD How about it's the coders' fault, seeing they cant code their game to fit every PC?

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

In BC2 everything is fine, in WoW everything is fine, in EVE everything is fine... in AoC I have crashes and bugs and all of a sudden its my computer's fault xDDD How about it's the coders' fault, seeing they cant code their game to fit every PC?

Not every video game has the same underlying code with different graphics on top.  It could very well be something wrong with the game (and probably is), but it could just as easily be an issue with your computer.  Simply saying other games work on your system does not in any way indicate that ALL games will work without some tweaking of the computer.

It's like buying a new car stereo and after getting your old deck out, realizing that the new one doesn't quite fit inside the space.  Do you blame the deck for being too big for your car?  No... at least I hope not.

Edit:  I should probably add that I'm not trying to say AoC does not have it's compatability problems.  I know it does, I experienced some of them first hand when I was playing the game but I was able to resolve most of the problems I had by changing my own system.  The rest, the ones I had no control over, Conjure is correct, that's just bad coding.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• bennonbennon Member Posts: 21

I don't think there is a point arguing about this becouse it is not what this thread is about. Try to stay in same context instead of writing about some technical issues that you have trouble with, but the rest of us don't.

Nice, now you're alianising me as the ONLY one having problems and generalizing every other human being on planet Earth playing AoC in a group of non-problemeers, like you have a clue who have/dont have problems with this game, just because a hundred other players have issues with this game and not make a post on mmorpg.com about it, it surely means that their problems are not existant xD

About offtopic, you mention... The OP mentioned improvements of stability, so there we are discussing stability, I dont see any offtopic-ish about my post tbh.

P.S. As much as I enjoyed the post about car audio decks, I dont believe this is the case, since it doesnt take to be Einstein to measure up your deck slot before buying a new deck (DUUH), but you actually have to understand a thing or two in PCs if you wanna tweak problems concerning games and their productivity, having a PC for like more than 10 years I still dont exactly know what V-SYNC does, even after reading about it on wikipedia, after switching the option on or off absolutely NOTHING changes.. but hey xD

SO basicly my point is, that coders should code their games in such a way, that users experience as few problems as possible, because saying "BAAH, you're just an idiot and cant fix your PC to play OUR particular game cause its so special" is just bsh*t...

I play with everything turned to high, without any issues as do 1000s of others. The fact that when you turn on Bloom you get a massive drop in fps implies you have a weak graphics card, Eve and Wow have low graphical requirements and BC2 is an FPS(so that is another story).

When i play with Bloom off it does not look black and white it still looks like very very good, turning it off saves just a few fps. What fps do you typically get? I have betwween 40 and 70 in the open world and over a 100 in dungeons. You cannot get smoother thatn that really.

Shadows are the bane of any low end graphics card, ofc it is easy to blame a game when you have a sub par PC but blame does not equal fact :-(

Without giving the specs of your PC it is not possible to say for sure, For all we know you maybe running the game on laptop!

I have a 8800GT SLI system installed, back in 2008 (when the game was released) this vcard was above medium, I think, it costed around 250$ for a single unit, so I have two of those, I seriously doubt my GPUs are to blame here, seeing I have two of them xD for cross-reference, I'd say a 8800GT SLI system underperforms 15% comparing to a HD 5850 and that is a high-end card for serious gaming

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I run everything thing max and have no problems, there are over 100 people in my guild who also don't have graphical problems, though there is an issue with DX10 on some machines where memory leaks and eventually it will crash, but it only affects a small number of people I know (like five).

The game post-20 is actually better in my opinion, it stops trying to be a single player game and the world opens up and lets you really experience some great places and dungeons with others. Even at the level cap there is plenty to do, few have completed the Tier 3 raids and no one has a full set of Tier 3 armour yet, with the expansion adding Tier 4 plus plenty of dungeons and solo content for the cap as well.

The expansion also has a new level 20-40 zone in it, which embraces the new large zone concept being used in the expansion, should be well worth a visit.

I actually thought of AoC as of a more GvG game, where guilds bash it out when conquering cities. But people keep on and on about raids, tiers and sh1t like that, is this game just another WoW-copy? I'm playing the free content atm, so far its fun, but if its gonna lead me to grinding dungeons 24/7 @ endgame then no thx, i'd rather go play wow....

I have a 8800GT SLI system installed, back in 2008 (when the game was released) this vcard was above medium, I think, it costed around 250$ for a single unit, so I have two of those, I seriously doubt my GPUs are to blame here, seeing I have two of them xD for cross-reference, I'd say a 8800GT SLI system underperforms 15% comparing to a HD 5850 and that is a high-end card for serious gaming

Yeah with a system like that you should not have issues really. M

aybe worth checking out the hardware section(Technical issues and Solutions) of the AoC forums for people who may have similar issues as you have.

It may be something to do with your SLI system.

In fact after a quick look on the AoC forums i found this http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106252

"NOTE: If you have a graphics card with 2 cores (X2) or a SLI/crossfire setup you have to divide the amount of VRAM by 2. So a 4870X2 with 1GB VRAM actually only has 512MB. A 2GB version only offers 1GB."

So it only uses half of your available VRAM and this may be the cause of the sluggish performance you are getting compare to other games.