Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon, a better Wurm online?

RoninSzakyRoninSzaky Member UncommonPosts: 63

Well I guess you already figured it out by now that I am a former Wum online player. Although I really liked the game I just quit after being subbed for few months. The number of bugs,lag and other issues, including the massive time consuming style of the game was a turn off even though the crafting and social options are unbelievably good compared to other MMOs.

When I first found Xsyon I thought it was a scam ^^, due to the massive "laundry" list features and the lack of information etc. But when the first vids came up I really started to wondering if the game could deliver the same qualities as Wurm did, but maybe even more, maybe with a real combat which I really missed along other stuff...

So will Xsyon be an improved Wurm style game? Is it your dream or biggest fear?

Do we really need another open PvP based "sandbox" like DF and MO?

Lets discuss and try not to flame my arse off ^-^'.

P.S.: I am not a Xsyon tester so I lack the real info on the game but the amount of information I've gathered so far and my opinions about Wurm made this overall impression on Xsyon.

"Ad astra per aspera."

Comments

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Dont know lets wait and see ..give them a bit more time to check if the features are turned on and working...

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

I never played Wurm but if it lacks any real combat I guess I wouldnt enjoy it much.   I dont mind PvP at all but Im not big on other people  decideding what I do with my gametime which often happens in free for all PvP worlds, I just hope it fits in nicely with the other game elements.  Im a huge DF fan but there are so many elements in this game I'M interested in and dont want to be constantly molested while Im trying to relax and enjoy them, we wil see.

• lagerchobglagerchobg Member UncommonPosts: 203

My hopes are dead for that game. I really need to test the game before purchasing it, i suppose it is not only me but i've got burned from other mmo's which i bought without a chance to test them and i was really disappointed. Anyway i hope that this game will have huge success and sooner or later they will give at least 5 day trial. Wish them best luck and i am looking forward for the free trial :D though no one is speaking for it. ( Do not get me wrong - i really like the concept of this future mmo)

• OaksteadOakstead Member Posts: 455

Originally posted by RoninSzaky

So will Xsyon be an improved Wurm style game? Is it your dream or biggest fear?

Do we really need another open PvP based "sandbox" like DF and MO?

1. Yes, I think it will be because I expect it to have additional  features that round out the sandbox experience such as giving tribes (guilds) the tools to set up their own quests.

2. The whole sandbox genre is in a state of experimentation with no proven successful earth-bound design (Eve-Online is successful in its own way). So the more the merrier. All can learn from each other.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

@ OP

As has been said in many other threads, Xsyon is not an open FFA PvP game like DF, not even close. Will there be PvP? Yes. But there will be several features/tools, controlled by the players & tribes which determine how PvP is done,w ithin certain rulesets.

Unless theyve changed it drastically, last time i checked Xsyon will pretty much work this way:

-There will be good & evil tribes/factions.

-If good kills good, they become evil. Evil is free to kill as they please

-There will be tools to setup alliances, rivalries, and wars.

-Good + good can only be allies or rivals, which can setup rules amongst themselves for pvp between the tribes (things like fighting to unconciousness rather than death, loot rules (no looting, 1 item, full loot, etc),a nd a few other options.

-Good can only go to war with evil, and evil can go to war with eachother, and even within wars, i believe there will be rules which can be setup similar to rivalries.

So basically, this isnt going to be at all a gankfest where you have old players just ganking every ne wplayer they can find, etc. There will be rules in place to prevent ganking & griefing. If you prefer to avoid PvP, then playing the good side is mor esuited to you. If you prefer a pvp fest, then evil will be better for you. And the devs have also stated that they will do whatever they need to in order to prevent it from becoming a gank fest like DF, and they will make changes and updates to the rules/features as needed if this does start to happen. They want us to have the freedom to PvP as much as we want, while also allowing those who dont want lots of pvp to be free to do their own thing.

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by Oakstead

The whole sandbox genre is in a state of experimentation with no proven successful earth-bound design (Eve-Online is successful in its own way).

Please stop contradicting yourself.  Yes, the sandbox genre is successful and not in a state of experimentation, if you call 7-years of EVE an experiment, in which it succeeded and other have failed.  EVE has as many subscribers as many mature-established studios with mmorpg's, aside from 4-5. 

So an Indie game is as successful as sypposed AAA titles.

Anything is better than Wurm online; a terribly mundane, bottom-feeder mmo that has a laughably sized player-base.  If Xsyon wants to be a laughably-sized player-base mmo that appeals to only pve skirts with no smart pve or player-centric governance, other than city building, then their on the right track.

Right now with as little as we know about "this" experiment, its on a path of lower than mediocrity.

Originally posted by Krux

The whole sandbox genre is in a state of experimentation with no proven successful earth-bound design (Eve-Online is successful in its own way).

Please stop contradicting yourself.  Yes, the sandbox genre is successful and not in a state of experimentation, if you call 7-years of EVE an experiment, in which it succeeded and other have failed.  EVE has as many subscribers as many mature-established studios with mmorpg's, aside from 4-5. 

Anything is better than Wurm online; a terribly mundane, bottom-feeder mmo that has a laughably sized player-base.  If Xsyon wants to be a laughably-sized player-base mmo that appeals to only pve skirts with no smart pve or player-centric governance, other than city building, then their on the right track.

Right now with as little as we know about "this" experiment, its on a path of lower than mediocrity.

Read more closely, I said earth-bound design as in playing with characters on land instead of as dots in space.

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

Read more closely, I said earth-bound design as in playing with characters on land instead of as dots in space.

Please.  My insight still stands. Whether your a dot on a patch of dirt or a dot in space, it doesnt detract from a studios success when they implement the right game-play formula.  Thats where established studios or indies either succeed or fail on, not location, but overal breadth and depth of game-play mechanics and design.

Please.  My insight still stands. Whether your a dot on a patch of dirt or a dot in space, it doesnt detract from a studios success when they implement the right game-play formula.  Thats where established studios or indies either succeed or fail on, not location, but overal breadth and depth of game-play mechanics and design.

My post said  I consider Eve-Online sucessful but that no equivalent land based sand-box style games have yet been successful.