Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Roper Update Interview

13»

Comments

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I couldn't get past that stupid picture of him doing a force choke or whatever the eff he's supposed to be doing to read his canned answers to softball questions.  I take it I didn't miss much?

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

"Champions and Star Trek were both popular IPs UNTIL being made into half baked MMOs for Cryptic.  Are there plans to do an original IP game so you can stop ruining other peoples GOOD ideas?"

There, fixed.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Yep, very much a puff piece.  Roper laid on the icing pretty thick there. 

Cyrptic's recent failures don't appear to be experimental failures, but are very much by design.  Bad design.  None of my gaming friends have much regard for them now, and none are playing any of their games.   Well, except City of Heroes.   But it is telling that that game got better when Cryptic got 'divorced' and then bought ought.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Adamai

its alright adding all that crap to startrek, but when  are they going to turn it into an mmorpg like its supposed to be and when are they going to fix the massive problems with the orriginal content and when are they going to make it less instanced and more persistant.. jeesus christ!!! i could go on all day about this game.  when are they going to make it feel like a startrek mmo. when will they bring in the crafting and the exploration.  oh hell!!! why dont they just pull the game and hand it over to some one more qaulified for redevelopment.

And when are we, myself included, going to stop bitching about what we feel people did wrong and create games the way we want them... since we know best.

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21

Not looking forward to Cryptic doing the Forgotten Realms at all. WHY?!? Arrrgghhh!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

A part of me wants them to be successful because we always need good games but its hard to ignore all the issues they been having.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by SaintViktor

A part of me wants them to be successful because we always need good games but its hard to ignore all the issues they been having.

Why ignoring them? There is no game without issues, there is no game that is perfect and suits to everyone.

• morganstern1morganstern1 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Obviously Garrett Fuller was either told, or deceided himself not to push the envelope and limit this interview to 'coming attractiions'.   No mention of reviews, subscriber levels, or any sort of insight on how those things may (or may not) impact their decisions for content.

The success of CoH/CoV is still the primary driving force behind the studio, and they seem terrified to break away from the conventions of that game- hence the CO and STO 'clones'.

Still, one of the great thing about MMO's is that they evolve with time.  I still hope they can lay some content down in CO that will draw me in.  I still hope they can do something with STO that will make it not feel so much like CoX or CO in space.

But I'm not holding my breath, or paying for scrips to wait and see.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Emeraq

And when are we, myself included, going to stop bitching about what we feel people did wrong and create games the way we want them... since we know best.

When we have the money to do so.

What you are missing is that we are the ones who buy this stuff. It is up to the devs to produce games worth paying for.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by morganstern1

The success of CoH/CoV is still the primary driving force behind the studio, and they seem terrified to break away from the conventions of that game- hence the CO and STO 'clones'.

I don't think they're terrified to break away from the CoH game world design.  I think it has more to do with their business model, which is to put out MMO games as quickly as possible with a popular IP attached to them to bring in the initial revenue and then move onto the next game while their previous games flounder.

I'm not even joking either.  An interview before CO came out talked about Cryptic's future development plans and the reply was that they wanted to have a 3 year development cycle per game and had 2 future games with popular IPs behind them in the works while CO was being developed.

Unfortunately Cryptic's underlying problem is their initial game design.  It's not fun, it's horrible and if their next game is just another solo-combat based CoH clone I hope the company goes under so they can't destroy any more IPs that could have possibly been good MMO games.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• morganstern1morganstern1 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Good point, Dameonk.  I agree.

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

Cryptic is a huge failure of an MMO maker. Financially, they were successful in cheating CBS out of 25 million dollars, but that being said, STO is a massive, and embarassing failure. Space, the final shoebox!

Cryptic insulted the intelligence of the player base and will never again see a dollar from these players. STO is currently populated by people who will play a broken, shallow, idiotic game just because it has the name Star Trek in it. Pity.

Cryptic will soon go out of business as they just can't make MMORPGs. They just don't have the talent or knowhow. Good riddance.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

NWN style MMO is most likely what is coming. I just hope and pray every night by my bedside that they do not use saturday morning cartoon colors like they did in STO.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Today I signed in to the game to do my daily B'Trans missions and half way through the first contact I just said to myself, Why am I doing the same thing over and over again for the last 3 months, I am just going through the motions to get badges that I can't use anymore because I already have all purple stuff on my character and ship, I feel like a guy who has a dead end job and just waits for the 5 o'clock whistle to go home and start the day over tomorrow.  Well to make a long story short I just stopped half way through the first mission and told my 5 year old son to finish it for me.  What does this have to do with the interview? I don't know but after reading it all I could think of was how this game just realy is lacking in everything.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Rofl, I don't care what cryptic makes nowdays.  All I know is I have a dislike for what they did to STO, and after that mess they will no be allowed access to my wallet any more.

I cant belive they are already making a new mmo, but considering the fact a lot of folks have left sto, they are trying to shoot another lifesaver to them and try and win them back.