Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Community Spotlight: Girls in MMOs

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If you are CCP you probably ponder this question quite often, what would it take to get more women to play EVE? (because it could add 10-25% more subs to the total.)

I believe EVE doesn't appeal to women for a couple of reasons.

1) The space theme.  Yes, women played SWG at a higher level, but that universe is almost as much a fantasy as any epic King Arthur tale. (strong IP and great socialzation elements were probably big contributers as well.

2) No Avatars.  Tell me truthfully ladies, does the lack of an Avatar really turn the game off for you.  If and when EVE ever gets them we'll find out if it makes the game more appealing to both men and women.

3) Harsh PVP.  Yes, I know some women are into harsh PVP/looting rulesets, but I'm willing to bet its a turn-off for most. (same is true for men actually, just not quite the same ratios)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Kyleran

1) The space theme.  Yes, women played SWG at a higher level, but that universe is almost as much a fantasy as any epic King Arthur tale. (strong IP and great socialzation elements were probably big contributers as well.

2) No Avatars.  Tell me truthfully ladies, does the lack of an Avatar really turn the game off for you.  If and when EVE ever gets them we'll find out if it makes the game more appealing to both men and women.

3) Harsh PVP.  Yes, I know some women are into harsh PVP/looting rulesets, but I'm willing to bet its a turn-off for most. (same is true for men actually, just not quite the same ratios)

1. I'm a trekkie.  I saw Alien when I was 4.  My dad's idea of a "Rite of Passage" consisted of watching 2001.  I read Ender's Game in elementry school.  Space is dandy.

2. I have to admit, that's the one of the few things about EvE I really don't like. I'm very excited about Ambulation.  It's not enough to cause me not to play it though.

3. The PvP in EvE isn't that big of a deal, then again I tend not to care so much because I suck.

• TidelandTideland Member UncommonPosts: 6

I am a female gamer, age 55 this month.  I started gaming with my son when he was in high school.  We started with MUDS and then over the years, we've played most of the MMO's out there.  He's past 30 now and we still enjoy that bonding experience when we play together.  However, he doesn't have as much time as I do, so we don't play as often as we used to.  I've only encounted "harassment" from fellow gamers when I mention my age (many of the youngsters can't believe an old lady plays the games) but I honestly have never felt my gender caused any ruckus.  The mature young men have not even blinked an eye at my age or my sex and we all have a great time.

• YoohoomeYoohoome Member Posts: 22

I'm one of them! hi guys... just new here in the forums.. anyway yeah I know that our population getting higher as we've engaged to MMO's because I admit that as a female gamer I was attracted in a game first because of the graphics and looks of the female characters... because in MMO it was really looks real.. and that's why I'm having fun playing mmo's ang dressing up my character. :)

• FayredeFayrede Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Tideland

I am a female gamer, age 55 this month.  I started gaming with my son when he was in high school.  We started with MUDS and then over the years, we've played most of the MMO's out there.  He's past 30 now and we still enjoy that bonding experience when we play together.  However, he doesn't have as much time as I do, so we don't play as often as we used to.  I've only encounted "harassment" from fellow gamers when I mention my age (many of the youngsters can't believe an old lady plays the games) but I honestly have never felt my gender caused any ruckus.  The mature young men have not even blinked an eye at my age or my sex and we all have a great time.

Honestly, I think its amazing you play MMO's and more stay at home moms/older mothers play MMO's then you would think! I've made friends that we're twice my age on WOW, and became really good virtual friends. Some I still talk too, even after leaving WOW and SWG. I'm 22 years old, and I've had my due time playing mmo's. I don't get why girls try to be such hard*ss though I play the SIMS games proudly AND I PVP like a champ. I like both sides of the spectrum, why is that there has to be only one type of girl that plays?

I've played MMO's since I was 16 actually it was The Sims Online that first got me hooked, before that I've never heard of an MMO or an online game and since I loved the sims I was like why not? I then moved to SWG through an online friend from there and my journey began. I think it's awesome when women play and yes I know guys who play female characters and that's their choice. Some people have wierd opinions where they think thats deceiving or wrong but the internet games are about creating a character being whoever u WANT to be and if thats there choice so be it.

Also I don't think I look the stereotypical "nerdy" gamer girl, why do people assume u must be overweight and have acne problems? messed up. Not saying I look like Jessica Alba, but I' have modeled in my day and I do have a social ilfe.  Anyways, kudos to girl gamers and maybe I'll see you around. I'm ALWAYS looking for people to play with.

[size=8]PLAYED: TSO, SWG, WOW, EQ2, Vanguard, FFXII, AOC, AION, Guild Wars, Second Life

Waiting: SWTOR, FFXIV