Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW a zombie mmo?

Anyone notice from the trailer footage how much this is looking like a zombie game?

Here is a screenshot of the tank from left 4 dead it looks almost identical.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Dude, Secret world is supposed to be more or less based on Lovercraft and he had zombies. Zombies doesn't look that different.

It have a lot of tentacle stuff also so it is not the same. That is like saying Wow is a zombie game too, it has them but there is a lot more involved. 

Jeff Strain (Warcraft 3, Diablo, Guildwars) is however making a real zombie MMO. He is one of the best devs there is so keep your eyes open after that instead if you like zombies :)

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

There are hundreds of creaters to slay and some are zombies. Funcom has in intervjues told use that this is nor at Zombie game like L4D.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

It looks to me that Kingsmouth is the first area funcom is putting all the finishing touches on, so it gets the majority of the media attention in trailers and screen shots.  Being that there is a risen dead problem in that location we are going to get a lot of zombies in media releases.

Part of the beauty about the game is that they are not confined to just one type of enemy for players to work against.  Almost anything can be mixed in with enough thought put into it. 

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

zombie vs. zombie-killer factions would be nice

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

My impression based off of the limited interviews and information that has trickled out that Funcom wants each town to have mobs that is reflective of that town's personality.  The zombies we have seen thus far, in my limited capacity mind, suggest that one of the starter towns Kingsmouth, Maine will have a zombie-killing personality to it.

They have gone on record stating they want to model real towns and cities in this game.  That says to me that if they model a Japanese city, I'd expect a number of far east, asian themed enemies to be present.

So I do not think this will be a 'L4D Online' style of mmo.  I just think that's the personality they are giving to one of the start towns in this game and using that starter town as promo material.  I mean, who doesn't like killing zombies after all?

On a side note:  I'm not sure if Kingsmouth, Maine is real or not.  But if it is, how does a town get the dubious personality of being zombified?  It being a retirement community?  har har har

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• maltosmaltos Member Posts: 94

The trailer also depicts a giant floating octopus-mushroom hybrid creature. Not a zombie game. Inspired by Lovecraft, Stephen King and Edgar Allen Poe. You can expect that they will try to put some aliens, zombies and other sci-fi/horror elements into the game. They also stated that they wish to try and scare you with a few elements and give you a spooky feel to the game. Hopefully they have fun with Halloween and other such holidays that emphasize this sci-fi/horror themed game.

-Maltos-

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Sudowoodoo

Anyone notice from the trailer footage how much this is looking like a zombie game?

Here is a screenshot of the tank from left 4 dead it looks almost identical.

Well if you would have bothered to even look at the info about the game or the area shown in the video (Kingsmouth) you would see that the game isnt just about Zombies.

Each area has specific themes to them, as such Kingsmouth uses a Zombie theme. It has been said many times in many interviews that each area holds something new.

But if you want to look at 2 minutes of ingame video and automatically assume the game is a "zombie game", then pretty much any MMO out there must be about zombies, because most of them have some sort of area that is all about the undead and zombies.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

@Skatty: Nope, Kingsmouth isn't real, it's supposed to be a typical smalltown in Maine. But Kingsmouth comes from towns wellknown in Lovecraft's stories: Innsmouth + Kingsport  (a Funcom representative mentioned that the name stems from Innsmouth + Stephen King).

About the zombies, every zone in TSW will have its own theme, its own 'monster ecology': Kingsmouth will stand for mutated undead, junkyard golems and Chtulhu-like sea creatures, and I'm expecting other zones to have their own theme, like mummies in Egypt (I'm guessing about the mummy part).

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TheTermiteTheTermite Member UncommonPosts: 21

I am hoping they also impart some amount of modern nefariousness, like secret government agents that we have to deal with or wealthy evil-mastermind types with hired thugs.  Something besides just magicky type mobs.

• IceiceIceice Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by TSWBETAROGS

There are hundreds of creaters to slay and some are zombies. Funcom has in intervjues told use that this is nor at Zombie game like L4D.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^'

Funcom employee. You guys are horrible really. Lie to the public to get your stocks to go through the roof when the game is released, cash in, just saw the formula less than two years ago with another failed game you guys still hype up on here.

Another over hyped half finished content lacking game from a company that is notorious for 'bait n switch' with the public.

Do not buy into what Funcom employee's lie to you about on these forums, absolutely disgusting.

The MMORPG community is amazing, the crappy companies that prey on them are not, At leaste cash shop MMO's are honest about taking your money , you log in, you want to pay, click the button. Respectable. 

Funcom, and your posters from Norway who do nothing but do damage control and hype are the lowest of the low 

Pimpwars/Cripplesmash/Legend of the Red Dragon/TradeWars 2002/TrollMud/Usurper

Present: Wurm , Fallen Earth

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Well, I'm not going to accuse you of being a troll since you seem to be sincere in your disgust of Funcom, in this post.

But not everyone shares your hatred for Funcom and all the 'evil things' they've done in the past - and no, I'm no Funcom employee, nor hired by them, nor do i live in Norway.

I do still play AoC though btw, have played from the start, think that Funcom did one of the worst launches there is with AoC, am convinced that they should've delivered AoC as it is now since it's very enjoyable; I also never played Anarchy Online, but did play Dreamfall and because of that, respect Tornquist (currrent TSW game director), and also played and still play from time to time WoW, LotrO, EQ2 and some other MMO's.

That being said, I love the Lovecraftian/Stephen King themes of TSW, think it has great potential as a horror/urban fantasy MMO, and like the features they're trying to implement with this MMO, at the meantime fully aware of the fact that probably not all will make it into the game right from the start.

About hype being false around this game *shrug* as a general rule, you should not let ANY hype around any upcoming MMO get you too riled up, but let common sense just make you wait & see when a MMO goes into beta.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by cyphers

Well, I'm not going to accuse you of being a troll since you seem to be sincere in your disgust of Funcom, in this post.

But not everyone shares your hatred for Funcom and all the 'evil things' they've done in the past - and no, I'm no Funcom employee, nor hired by them, nor do i live in Norway.

I do still play AoC though btw, have played from the start, think that Funcom did one of the worst launches there is with AoC, am convinced that they should've delivered AoC as it is now since it's very enjoyable; I also never played Anarchy Online, but did play Dreamfall and because of that, respect Tornquist (currrent TSW game director), and also played and still play from time to time WoW, LotrO, EQ2 and some other MMO's.

That being said, I love the Lovecraftian/Stephen King themes of TSW, think it has great potential as a horror/urban fantasy MMO, and like the features they're trying to implement with this MMO, at the meantime fully aware of the fact that probably not all will make it into the game right from the start.

About hype being false around this game *shrug* as a general rule, you should not let ANY hype around any upcoming MMO get you too riled up, but let common sense just make you wait & see when a MMO goes into beta.

Welll said cyphers ;)

AoC did have a realy bad lanch. People should not have to high expactation to any game. i Loved tha CG they had, but i love the fact that Funcom (One of the few) are showing gamplay now at Alpha testing and not just CG until the game is ready. Funcom will not rush STW as they did with AoC. And this time they have alot of more time(18months +-3) and alot better people running the show.  Cant whate to se more of the game during this year.

Originally posted by Iceice

Originally posted by TSWBETAROGS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^'

Funcom employee. You guys are horrible really. Lie to the public to get your stocks to go through the roof when the game is released, cash in, just saw the formula less than two years ago with another failed game you guys still hype up on here.

Another over hyped half finished content lacking game from a company that is notorious for 'bait n switch' with the public.

Do not buy into what Funcom employee's lie to you about on these forums, absolutely disgusting.

The MMORPG community is amazing, the crappy companies that prey on them are not, At leaste cash shop MMO's are honest about taking your money , you log in, you want to pay, click the button. Respectable. 

Funcom, and your posters from Norway who do nothing but do damage control and hype are the lowest of the low 

Well I am not an Employee at Funcom, but as you can se from my nick i Love there games and other MMOs. Played WoW two times First from the start and 8-9months and l8r about 4-5months.  I am onely referancing to intervjues that Funcom has given to the public, this is not just a zombie slaying game. TSW is fare from finished and is about 18months away from lanching sow dont hat it yet. I se that you relay hate Funcom and are talking shit about TSW and AoC. You have probely werry little information about TSW and you havent played AoC the last year. There is a big expantion lanching in a few months, sow there will be loads to do. TSW will be filled upp with alot more quest/tasks/stories than AoC. This is becouse they have the same size budget. On the AoC budget they hade to make the game engine and development tools for the game. TSW has reused this and uppgraded it and there by saved a lot of time and money. I am saying dont hate what you havent tryed. Just whate after lanch and try it if you whant and if there is good feedback on the forums. Try to get as mutch information before saying it is the bomb ore just shit.

And I am Norwegian dont hold it agenst me, sorry for my poor English. Have a nice easter ;)

• HarshmellowHarshmellow Member UncommonPosts: 7

WTB Zombie MMO (untill diablo 3 comes out)

• lathlath Member Posts: 34

tsw is estimate to be release on 2012.no need to hype this game too early lol.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

This game will definitely have zombies and plenty of them. This game will gather all of the superstitions from the past and present and mash them up. This game won't be a zombie MMO exclusively, but it certainly won't lack any. Heres hoping they also add in necromancer/necromantic spells you can learn.