Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzards next MMORPG *Starcraft*

Comments

• entranaentrana Member Posts: 106

i'd prefer diablo3 ::::40::

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you have the definition of a fanboy confused.  A fanboy, or girl is a person who defends a game blindly despite glaring problems and provides no true reason for the defense.  They just cheerlead. 

Now perhaps you aren't familiar with the rating system here at mmorpg, one that you are fully welcome to participate in, if you take a look said rating system seems to put the best games at a 7.4-7.5 and has don't so for a long time.

But pray tell, whats that with an 8.7???  That would be the game you speak of...  To say that the highest rating ever given on a released game is fanboyism is ridiculous... if the system was plagued with that it wouldn't churn out the reliable 7.4's all the time.

Sure wow has some server continuity problems, they are down more then I like... but bugs? Don't really see them, its certainly not full of bugs as you suggest.

I'm guessing of course that you haven't played the game to know this, your just being an anti-fanboy ( a person who attacks a game blindly despite obvious successes and provides no true reason for the offensive actions). Which although opposite in direction of a fanboy is equal in it's effort and misdirection, in my opinion.

• RaenzRaenz Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Shaikura
    Blizzard fanboys kill me.Wow is the worst playing game on the market.Its laggy and full of bugs.Blizzard should'nt be aloud to make another mmorpg ever again.They won't even put out monthly updates and patches for the game.I truely can't wait for the hype to die from this game.

-Raenz-

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Originally posted by happydan20
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you have the definition of a fanboy confused. A fanboy, or girl is a person who defends a game blindly despite glaring problems and provides no true reason for the defense. They just cheerlead.
    Now perhaps you aren't familiar with the rating system here at mmorpg, one that you are fully welcome to participate in, if you take a look said rating system seems to put the best games at a 7.4-7.5 and has don't so for a long time.
    But pray tell, whats that with an 8.7??? That would be the game you speak of... To say that the highest rating ever given on a released game is fanboyism is ridiculous... if the system was plagued with that it wouldn't churn out the reliable 7.4's all the time.
    Sure wow has some server continuity problems, they are down more then I like... but bugs? Don't really see them, its certainly not full of bugs as you suggest.
    I'm guessing of course that you haven't played the game to know this, your just being an anti-fanboy ( a person who attacks a game blindly despite obvious successes and provides no true reason for the offensive actions). Which although opposite in direction of a fanboy is equal in it's effort and misdirection, in my opinion.

-KT-

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• evilfixxevilfixx Member Posts: 80

I have to agre with Shaikura, WoW has the worst problems plagueing them on a CONSTANT basis. It's not like the server issues are going away. They're just being compounded by people complaining about crappy community (which i understand can be found in almost all MMOs) and there are griefings and pvp complaints too. I'm not saying that it's totally a WoW issue. All MMORPGs have their share of certain problems... WoW has these problems in spades.

BTW: WoW has an 8.7 due to there being a TON of fanboy support for the game. Look at the two games under it in second and third place. CoH and EVE have less than one-fourth the issues and complaints that WoW has. and yes i played WoW. If you say i'm wrong, go to their forums, then come back to this one.

There are TONS of different definitions of a fanboy. One is a person who supports a game / comic book not for the content, but for the names associated with it.

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by Lreguizr
    Universe of Starcraft will defenitly blow

that part i agree on...

basing MMORPG's on exsiting franchises only limits the MMORPG in what it can do. Diablo would not make a very good MMORPG, the existing games are based on the principle you are the hero which doesnt translate well into a MMORPG context (and besides, GW is the spiritual sucessor to D2, and is a far more sensible CORPG).

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Ok to be honest with you, I really don't think starcraft can be transferred to an mmorpg. Not enough Classes, only 3 races. And everyone would end up looking the same.

If anything they need to make a mmorpg on Diablo.

Now that can be done.

Barbarian
    Necromancer
    Druid
    Paladin
    Amazon
    Soceress/Wizard

All the items and monsters can be transfered over, and obviously you would be able to make more. And then make the story so that some new areas coem availible and stuff. And that to me sounds like it would make a decent mmorpg if it can be made the right way.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

"There are TONS of different definitions of a fanboy. One is a person who supports a game / comic book not for the content, but for the names associated with it."

I don't know how to make quotes but read above for the person who posted, not directly before this post for the author.

I have to agree with you, I hadn't considered this definition but it makes perfect sense to me.  I personally have only played a diablo demo and a warcraft demo, so I didn't really go based on brand recognition but it's certainly a valid point.

As far as the classes go... what if every unit in the game was a class? Wouldn't that certainly be enough?

Yes I agree with the three races being a limiting factor, but there are a few games out there (wish I had some sources at the moment I don't) That have dealt with a trilogy of races to choose from.  What's really in a race? Appearances and stats, I think the need for lots of races is sort of over-rated, although they could make sub-races of each with a distinct look. Who says they can't release new races?

As far as the appearance goes, I am truly impressed with how different you can look in world of warcraft, even low level capes have distinct looks to them...  But I've heard of deeper customization in other popular MMORPG's that I have no played, so I'm not saying it's the best out there... surely this could be taken to a starcraft game? 

Also consider it doesn't have to mirror the RTS game we all know and love, simply based on the world...  So following that we wouldn't all have to look  like uniform green terrains.  Customization is lacking in wow as far as original character generation in comparison to some other titles, but they compensate with the varying array of armors I think.

Perhaps i'm in the minority in thinking that character creation customization is an over-rated feature, reviews always seem to focus on it and it seems important to a lot of people.  I don't want to look the same but I guess i am more concerned with the cool armors and or social clothing I can don to define my character. I accept my minority position on that though.

On a side note, a MMORPG staff member quoted me *swoon* JK:P

• ShaikuraShaikura Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by evilfixx

I have to agre with Shaikura, WoW has the worst problems plagueing them on a CONSTANT basis. It's not like the server issues are going away. They're just being compounded by people complaining about crappy community (which i understand can be found in almost all MMOs) and there are griefings and pvp complaints too. I'm not saying that it's totally a WoW issue. All MMORPGs have their share of certain problems... WoW has these problems in spades.
    BTW: WoW has an 8.7 due to there being a TON of fanboy support for the game. Look at the two games under it in second and third place. CoH and EVE have less than one-fourth the issues and complaints that WoW has. and yes i played WoW. If you say i'm wrong, go to their forums, then come back to this one.
    There are TONS of different definitions of a fanboy. One is a person who supports a game / comic book not for the content, but for the names associated with it.

Kudo's to you evilfixx.Its good to know that someone else is not blind to this games problems.And i've played wow myself.So i do know what that games problems are.And evilfixx made some good points too.The website votes here are way off for wow.And the games site is full of people complaining about bugs,ctd and lag since day one.

I play eve online now,and you don't see any complaints about bugs or lag.I won't say it never happens but compared to wow's site,there's no way in h@ll that the votes here did'nt come from fanboys.And that is why its #1 here.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Starcraft mmorpg would be amazing!

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

As always, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I will agree that the forums for wow are ripe with complaints...  In fact I nearly never bought the game as I visited the forums before buying it and the impression I got shook my confidence in the game.

But I also feel I must point out that (and no I don't have any demographic studies) the age of the average wow player is significantly less then that of an eve player.  Adults or at least mature individuals will wait for things to be resolved (like bugs)...  Children, or immature people, want everything now, more importantly they are more vocal about this.

So one has to wonder how many true complaints there are, and how many are just cranky because the world isn't perfect. 

I also can't see PVP and grieving as a complaint against any game, because its the nature of pvp in any game I've seen to grieve.  I personally am not a pvp type of person, I agree that the pvp system in wow is utterly pointless, in mechanics and it practicality.

All I ever see is people attacking areas with three times the number of natives that are a 3rd of their own level...  I have never understood the glory in this as no one has ever congratulated on me killing a level 5 spider at level 20.  But I suppose theres a psychological victory to be had, I don't get it at all.

Even with the pvp changes coming up in wow it doesn't have any negative effect for dishonorable kills other then that it records them.  It will be the equivalent of speeding tickets that have no fine.

BUT

Let us recall that is is a thread about a possible Starcraft MMORPG...  I would very much like to see how receptive you are (or aren't) to the idea... as well as things you may (or not) like to see in it, or methods of implementation.

Not so much a thread about wow and the issues that surround it.

But of course it is a forum to discuss whatever you'd like.

• evilfixxevilfixx Member Posts: 80

Honestly, I think that WoS/UoS/GoS/Whatever-oS would be a bad move for Blizzard in every way shape and form. Most people have said it plainly here, not enough species/races to even begin to try. I think that they really should work on WoW and placate their current customers and not look on to greater pastures until then. WoW has a lot of potential, and a diablo MMO would have great potential... ok maybe not.

• horridhorrid Member Posts: 129

I think blizzard could pull it off. 3 races isn't a problem if each is interesting enough. Think about the EQ races for a moment. Other than looks what is the difference? None. By lvl cap there is no difference. Same goes for every mmorpg I can think of, race had no impact on the game beyond looks.

They could try a different direction, mmorpg/rts. Each player controls multiple characters in a squad. You play the leader of the squad but have npcs and control them in a rts style system. New game mechanics can be added to make the game work. Stop looking at mmorpgs as they exist today and think of what they could be. Be creative and you will think of many ways Starcraft could become a fun multi user rpg world.

• RadeaxRadeax Member Posts: 6

Ah thats a great idea, about the squad stuff.. wen u get much higher in rank or something, u can gradually earn NPCs u control to go with u.

A SC MMO can be pulled off but Blizzard would have to do more than what they did with WoW..would require much more thinking and ideas. The customization of characters would have to be more specific than WoW since there are only 3 races. Some of you are saying not enough classes or unit..but they can always add more, like how new units are added to expansions. This will be hard to pull off I must admit. I'll think of some ideas what they could use later..Even if they were going to make a SC MMO, its most probably gonna be way in the future..as they haven't worked on SC for ages, other than SC: Ghost, which they probably haven't been working on either..

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

warhammer 40k universe > starcraft universe

the two diablo games were great, but it wasnt due to the story (which was pretty formulaic, with overly sterotyped characters).

But it's clear to see that the Blizzard faithful would lap up anything they produce, so I imagine its already in pre-production.

I want a Day of the Tentacle MMO, I want a C&C MMO, I want a Metal Gear Solid MMO, I want a Mario MMO...[edit] this is sarcasm...

ffs I want originality not just some franchise designed to attract idiots who blindly follow marketing...

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• quietkilleRquietkilleR Member Posts: 94

see the thing is Blizzard cares about nothing, but Warcraft....so i can't see this "ever" happening...::::11::
    but don't get me wrong i'd love too see it.

All my endings are waiting to begin.

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282
    Warhammer 40k mmorpg- that's one franchise i wuld be very happy to see!!

_myko, I fail to see your reasoning.  You seem to have an A plus B equals C argument.  You are saying: video game developers make a game, use marketing, which equals the idiots "blindly following."

How can this have any credibilty whatsoever when there is no said game, so of course there's no marketing for it and there is nothing for the idiots to follow.

We are discussing a game that has yet to exist, because (some) people like the idea of it existing...  I didn't see a commercial brainwashing me to produce this thread.

Following your own logic for the "warhammer 40k universe" MMORPG to exist you would have to be an idiot blindy follwing marketing created for that purpose.

INSTEAD, I have an alternate explaination, one that hopefully makes more sense.  You love a game and would like to participate in the world in which it exists, you would like to see lesser limits and restrictions on what the developer can do...  An MMORPG would give them freedom.

Now how is that any different then thinking there could be a Starcraft MMORPG?  Aren't we essentially agreeing here?

• ArgentXArgentX Member Posts: 1

I have never tried a MMOFPS, and I never will.... Doom 3, HL 2, and Halo 2 satisfy all my "blow stuff up" needs.

And a star Craft MMO? I'll go for it if it dont have a Subscript fee, these fees are rediculous, the games have more then enough to pay staff just from sales. ::::26::

Save The Chocobos

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Originally posted by stav1
    Warhammer 40k mmorpg- that's one franchise i wuld be very happy to see!!

Hell yes! That would be utterly awsome as a MMOFPS (or third person, that would be even better... using the new Unreal close combat engine)

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by ArgentX
    I have never tried a MMOFPS, and I never will.... Doom 3, HL 2, and Halo 2 satisfy all my "blow stuff up" needs.And a star Craft MMO? I'll go for it if it dont have a Subscript fee, these fees are rediculous, the games have more then enough to pay staff just from sales. ::::26::

Yeah, I know what you mean, man. They should just take the friggin' server costs straight out of the devs' pockets, the greedy bastards.

/sarcasm

P.S. Go play Mario, and try again when you get out of high school.

I can understand why you feel frustrated when you have to keep spending money on something you have already paid for, but let me explain it in a different way.

Say I am a video game developer, say I am developing Universe of Starcraft.  I hire you, which means I have to pay you from day 1.  It takes some where between 2-5 years generally to make a game, and I have to pay you that whole time, losing money until I can finally release the game for a fee.

Yes it costs about 50 dollars, the same as a single player console game thats true, but you don't get patches with a console game you don't get new content... and the vast majority of the time you don't get to play with your friends or meet new people without paying for xbox live or some simular service. (Yes the exception is a computer game but even then patches and new content are rare and mostly player made.)

Keep in mind also the first month is free so its more like 35 dollars for the game.

So after I FINALLY release this game I am in great amount of debt as I've been paying you for 5 years to make the game, not just you but a large staff.  Not only must I recover all the money I lost in fees now that I can make a profit...  The servers need maintenance, I have to hire GM's... develop new ways to prevent hacking and add NEW content...

So you see, they have to charge a monthly fee as the costs never stop coming in, everyone still needs to be paid but they have to recover all they lost as well, plus if you ever want them to make another game they will need more money to do the same thing over again.

Not to mention that anytime someone creates a product they deserve to make a profit.

Online fees are not greedy, but necessary.

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

Normla Warhammer has been uncanceled for those of you who didnt know, by a different company of course. They shuld of done a 40k universe though..

IMO Starcraft would > Warcraft. Ive never liked WC3 much and WoW aint all that great.

• ntegernteger Member UncommonPosts: 13

I was looking up starcraft: ghost a while back and Blizzard mentioned something about it and/or its fans lovign the idea of a starcraft 2, but they didnt have any current plans. SC ghost is the sequel (story-wise) to starcraft. I like the idea of starcraft ghost and the idea of starcraft mmo, and hell, a movie would be kick-ass, too! Why shouldn't the gaming world share its awesome sci-fi story-telling powers with the rest of the mundane world? anyway, With ghost Blizzard may be trying to reach out to a wider fan base and progress the storyline/reveal more details and history to a point that would be suitable for a sequel or mmo. With WOW it certainly seems as if they are building up to a warcraft 4, what with all the alliances being formed (just the kind of thing that led to WWI). The roleplaying servers are full of people debating what will happen when the Burning Legion reinvades. Was I talking about WC or SC... anyway I can picture sequels to both SC and WC3. Personally, I would rather see one of these before another diablo, but that's just me. I would also like for SC ghost to come out soon and not delayed again and again like Halo2!

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

World of Starcraft would be best off an MMOFPS.