Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overzealous mods

OnsabooOnsaboo Member Posts: 48

Holy crap. I've had two temporary bans and a warning already. I've never had a ban, never mind a warning from ANY other game site. 

It's possibly because I call a bad game, a bad game but when a game deserves praise I'm first to give it.

I'm pretty disappointed in mmorpg.com TBH, the censorship is bordering on outrageous.

Comments

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Very strongly agree. I've been warned and banned so many times it isn't even funny. I've never been warned or banned on any other forum I've ever posted to.

I've had two or three bans overturned by disputing them. They weren't deserved at all. One they refused to overturn, they changed it from trolling to off-topic posting because I disagreed with a thread that pretty much went "who thinks this game is awesome?"

One warning that I received I think was the most legitimate, but still a case of overzealous moderation. The thread had already been locked and done away with and I received the warning the day after. On top of that the mod warned me for the wrong post.

Anyway, I think the moderation here is far too overzealous and gung-ho on warning and banning people. Mods also love deleting posts and threads. I was once administrator of moderate sized BBS and I could moderate forums better in my sleep.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

I have recieved a couple warnings myself, but no bans. Generally, I get warned when I go over the top on comparing whiny douche-bags who like to make asinine comments about things or games and then complain because people call them on their trolling.  That, and I have a tendancy to pick at people who get really wrapped up in themselves (I think I recieved a severe warning for accusing a know-it-all of having either the IQ of 13 or a severe masturbatory habit). At any rate, the "censorship" here isn't that bad, they just don't want a Flame-war forum. Basically, if you don't know when to quit, you will get bans.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Xondar123

Very strongly agree. I've been warned and banned so many times it isn't even funny. I've never been warned or banned on any other forum I've ever posted to.

I've had two or three bans overturned by disputing them. They weren't deserved at all. One they refused to overturn, they changed it from trolling to off-topic posting because I disagreed with a thread that pretty much went "who thinks this game is awesome?"

One warning that I received I think was the most legitimate, but still a case of overzealous moderation. The thread had already been locked and done away with and I received the warning the day after. On top of that the mod warned me for the wrong post.

Anyway, I think the moderation here is far too overzealous and gung-ho on warning and banning people. Mods also love deleting posts and threads. I was once administrator of moderate sized BBS and I could moderate forums better in my sleep.

Actually Xondar, I hate to call you on your shit (okay, that is a lie) but you have a very rough way of dealing with people. You do the same thing I do (I read through some of your posts). You call people on their shit and you get satisfaction out of getting a rise out of these people. Its not a bad thing, but it is a burden you will have to bear. Just because you have moderated forums before doesn't mean that you have the same standards that these mods do. You probably used your mod-hammer to get the overt trills and flamers, but left the guys who were right, but mean about it, alone. These mods don't seem to like people who don't candy coat their phrasing. 

[Mod Edit]

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Overworked, inconsistant, some of them have odd ideas of what is or isn't acceptable. I don't think they're overzelous though.

Yes that's my biggest complaint.  There is a total lack of consistency.  I have seen one mod post in a thread (saying this is interesting but let's keep it focused on the issue).. and then 10 minutes later another mod (or so I assume) came by and deleated the whole thread.  I've seen people get warned for simply posting a sarcastic message about a game (not a person.. a game)... and other times what appears to be an all out flamefest (with topics like.. Why are you all haters..." goes un-moderated...

I have no problem with consistent moderation of any level,  be it highly moderated.. or low moderation.  I do really think all the mods have to be on the same page though... with clearcut guidelines to follow.  It surely seems (to the outsider)  that either they have no such guidelines or they are not adhering to them.

Since this is the suggestion forum... here is mine:

Let single mods handle all the no-brainer stuff... posts that obviously break a rule.  For the judgement call things (where there seems to be a problem) why not flag them for discussion in the moderators forum?  Then as a group everyone says yay or nay (say leave the post for an hour or so) and the community here can get a more consistent understanding of where the site wants to go.  Having the team all pulling in one direction will make for a much more enjoyable experience for all involved!

Also.. honestly.. if it's a close call my opinion is that the posts should be left alone.   If it's really iffy, the poster should be given the benefit of the doubt.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Xondar123

Strong agreement here too.

The trouble is, overzealous moderation is coming from the community manager who has imposed rules that are inconsistent at best. When you complain to the site editors about him, they simply refer you back to the community manager again which is, to say the least, not in your best interest as a poster.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i remember when i made a post about FE and call the game a theme park just after the release i got a tmb ban for trolling  lol 

BestSigEver :P

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by Onsaboo

Holy crap. I've had two temporary bans and a warning already. I've never had a ban, never mind a warning from ANY other game site. 

It's possibly because I call a bad game, a bad game but when a game deserves praise I'm first to give it.

I'm pretty disappointed in mmorpg.com TBH, the censorship is bordering on outrageous.

Yeah the mods on this site are ridiculous , its the main thing that spoils this site .

Its the reason I mainly go elswhere these days.

shame really used to a great site until they got too big for their boots.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Come on guys, please don't discuss moderation actions on the forums. I am more than willing to work with you to resolve any issues you have with a particular moderation action if you simply shoot me an e-mail.

You can get in touch with me at [email protected] or [email protected]. Locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.