Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome Back Weekend and New Demo Play Feature

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Shivam

And? is there a rule or something? i recently joined STO, got sick of negativety, googled some other sites to get info and here we are again....

Like anywhere else, the trolls make good number of post counts since they spam the forums with the same crap over and over...

MMORPG.COM trolls are no different from those on official STO site.

Regardless what Cryptic does, there will be always part of the community seeing it as wrong even if it means, like in this case, that Cryptic is listening to those who spit on them the most...

I really can't see how any reasonable person can see Welcome weekend nothing else but friendly gesture to those who felt the game was lacking or w/e at the release and being it an offer to evaluate how the game evolved since they left.

As for the trial, well..it is a trial that is a pretty much a standard 'feature' in MMO industry.

"Freindly" or "desperate"...or both? I have nothing against Welcome Back Weekends....as a consumer, the more opportunity for free evaluation of the product the better. However, companies don't offer these sort of things (generaly) because they want to be your "freinds" they do it because they are hoping to might win them a few subs. Nothing wrong with that either....but generaly speaking in this industry...companies don't offer free weekends for successful products that have only been open a couple of month's. That's usualy a sign that a company has LOST alot of subscribers...is really unhappy with it's retention rate....and is really hoping to win some folks back that had previously quite.

If Cryptic had done that about a year after launch with STO....it would be a big shrug...as that's pretty par for the course with these sorts of games. Offering it only a couple months after launch....does strike people as pretty darn unusual..... and it's not surprising that people are going to read between the lines and view it as a move of desperation....whether that's factualy accurate or not...no one outside of Cryptics own management knows for sure.....but that certainly is the way it looks to alot of folks on the surface.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Good news or Desperation? I am laying my money on desperation. I mean come on 3 months and welcome back that stinks to high heaven of it.

Do i personally think STO is doomed--No but it will never be a big name title but it will limp along unless Atari decides otherwise.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

i dont know beta, they have a 20 million $ bonus riding on making some money off the game. i wouldnt call trying to get more subscriptions desperation with that on the line, id call it common sense. hell if i had 20 mill to make off it id tell my mom that sto was super freaking fantastic with rainbow coloured monkeys that shower gold on you. of course i hope people red these forums and realize that if they try sto, the first few missions they get to do is the entire game, just with different text at teh start of each mission.

the only game  ive ever played that i found as truly lacking was probably master of orion 3

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

"Freindly" or "desperate"...<snip>but generaly speaking in this industry...<snip>

Of course it is not about companies treating their customers, they are all just desperate to make money.

What a logic....

Generally speaking there is not enough data to say what generally speaking means.

Originally posted by raistalin69

i dont know beta, they have a 20 million $ bonus riding on making some money off the game. i wouldnt call trying to get more subscriptions desperation with that on the line, id call it common sense. hell if i had 20 mill to make off it id tell my mom that sto was super freaking fantastic with rainbow coloured monkeys that shower gold on you. of course i hope people red these forums and realize that if they try sto, the first few missions they get to do is the entire game, just with different text at teh start of each mission.

the only game  ive ever played that i found as truly lacking was probably master of orion 3

Forgot all about that bonus thanks for reminding me and yeah that does change it a bit.

• AttackoAttacko Member Posts: 40

Fact- Review- "While STO like any MMO is an ongoing work in progress and will change over time, it is a great start.  The game graphically looks great and offers lots of hours of fun.  The change from space to ground is great as it switches up the pace of the game "-John Lomaga

Fact- Review- "Alot of mmo'rs are like college students that think they know verything. (average age of mmo'r- 28) when in reality it is an outsider that can see things more clearly". - me

the evidence is clear- have mmo'rs stay clear of this game.  they are not a great crowd anyway and like stupid things and demand things already done. 

Originally posted by Attacko

Fact- Review- While STO like any MMO is an ongoing work in progress and will change over time, it is a great start.  The game graphically looks great and offers lots of hours of fun.  The change from space to ground is great as it switches up the pace of the gameJohn Lomaga

Fact- Review- Alot of mmo'rs are like college students that think they know verything. (average age of mmo'r- 28) when in reality it is an outsider that can see things more clearly. - me

the evidence is clear- have mmo'rs stay clear of this game.  they are not a great crowd anyway and like stupid things and demand things already done. 

of course, why would you want people who play mmo's as customers when your trying to sell subs to an mmo.

guess i "just didn't get it"

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Fact- Review- While STO like any MMO is an ongoing work in progress and will change over time, it is a great start.  The game graphically looks great and offers lots of hours of fun.  The change from space to ground is great as it switches up the pace of the gameJohn Lomaga

Fact- Review- Alot of mmo'rs are like college students that think they know verything. (average age of mmo'r- 28) when in reality it is an outsider that can see things more clearly. - me

of course, why would you want people who play mmo's as customers when your trying to sell subs to an mmo.

guess i "just didn't get it"

He might be referring to some gaming circles' people that have played a handful of mmos and are highly opinionated, i.e. "I dont like game x therefore it should be utter garbage beyond fix".  I wonder if it is actually a generational thing, but I dont want to get prejudicial this early.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Fact- Review- "While STO like any MMO is an ongoing work in progress and will change over time, it is a great start.  The game graphically looks great and offers lots of hours of fun.  The change from space to ground is great as it switches up the pace of the game "-John Lomaga

Fact- Review- "Alot of mmo'rs are like college students that think they know verything. (average age of mmo'r- 28) when in reality it is an outsider that can see things more clearly". - me

Eeek.

I don't think cherry-picking review quotes to defend STO is a good idea, Attacko. There are *way* too many out there whose reviews are far less than flattering that can just as easily be quoted.

Realllllly not a wise can of worms to be opening if you're trying to hype the game... Just sayin'.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• AttackoAttacko Member Posts: 40

"why would you want people who play mmo's as customers when your trying to sell subs to an mmo"

Fact- people tend to grow attached to things.  they will defend them - comparisons to WOW are in essence a defense. attack on other mmo's- the same. 

Fact-The  MMO'r/ WOW crowd has to be like 900 years old now.  people grow up- stop gameing as much- unless they lose their jobs and write fact things and game - the point? a diminishing crowd- the exsisting mmo'rs- the future? - youth - being influenced by the defensive current mmo'rs- holding the old line- in a mad attempt to keep content jargon and control

Fact- Trek fans alone can make this fly.  it is a big time biz.  don't make mmo'rs trek fans, let trek fans play an mmo

Fact- mmo'rs are already paying for a game.  doubtful they will pay for a few  (some do of course)- again- rather than add it would seem more logical that they would defend thier game unconsciously or not

the evidence is clear- Cryptic- looks like they will try anything- smart move - when you face the herd it is easy to clap your hands loudly and startle them so that they might stop eating the old grass- and head to better pastures

Cryptic- semi divine adonis like hero gaming company of the 5th dimension

Originally posted by WSIMike

Eeek.
    I don't think cherry-picking review quotes to defend STO is a good idea, Attacko. There are *way* too many out there whose reviews are far less than flattering that can just as easily be quoted.
    Realllllly not a wise can of worms to be opening if you're trying to hype the game... Just sayin'.

The main problem is most of the 'reviews' are just a biased opinions and as such they are no more than worthless garbage.

So a bad review is biased and a good review is what?

Originally posted by Betaboo

Good review is the one that rather describes the game than reviewers negligible feelings.

Majority of those so called reviews are about a reviewer not the game.

Good review is the one that rather describes the game than reviewers negligible feelings.

excellent answer can you provide me with some links so i can judge for myself?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/view/reviews/load/111/page/3

thers one beta. sto rated a 6.4   if you go to the games section and sort by rating its way down at the bottom of the list

One sample:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-trek-online-review

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/view/reviews/load/111/page/3

Yes, this is very good review to compare the contrast of EuroGamer crap writing to how a real review could actually look like.

One sample:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-trek-online-review

another good example. 6/10. not the worst, but definately not a succes

Rating means that same random guy rated the game and as such meaningless...

Rating means that same random guy rated the game and as such meaningless...

so following this logic, if 1000 people test a product and 85% of them state that it is sub-standard and does not live up to expectations..... try it anyways cause theres a good chance theres nothing wrong with said product?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/276296/would-u-buy-another-cryptic-game.html

well theres only 217 votes there.... but you get the idea

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

"why would you want people who play mmo's as customers when your trying to sell subs to an mmo"
    Fact- people tend to grow attached to things.  they will defend them - comparisons to WOW are in essence a defense. attack on other mmo's- the same. 
    Fact-The  MMO'r/ WOW crowd has to be like 900 years old now.  people grow up- stop gameing as much- unless they lose their jobs and write fact things and game - the point? a diminishing crowd- the exsisting mmo'rs- the future? - youth - being influenced by the defensive current mmo'rs- holding the old line- in a mad attempt to keep content jargon and control
    Fact- Trek fans alone can make this fly.  it is a big time biz.  don't make mmo'rs trek fans, let trek fans play an mmo
    Fact- mmo'rs are already paying for a game.  doubtful they will pay for a few  (some do of course)- again- rather than add it would seem more logical that they would defend thier game unconsciously or not
    the evidence is clear- Cryptic- looks like they will try anything- smart move - when you face the herd it is easy to clap your hands loudly and startle them so that they might stop eating the old grass- and head to better pastures
    Cryptic- semi divine adonis like hero gaming company of the 5th dimension

Hrmm... I'm suspicious of the posts legitimacy.
    Starting every line with "Fact-" should tell me he is telling the truth and that I should trust his word because he is providing an occurence of objective reality, however, I believe he has no basis to substantiate any of the above said statements and I was just lied to.
    Fact 1: Is it that they defend the MMO they are playing or is it that they are defending what they like about something you dislike? Also, how is an attack on another MMO the same as the defense of a different MMO?
    Fact 2: WTF? Do you know what "Fact" means? I mean, really? There isn't a bit of fact to this fact.
    Fact 3: If there are >50k Star Trek fans willing to play this MMO, then yes, they can make this fly. Cryptic mentioned somewhere that they only need 50k subs to keep STO profitable.
    Fact 4: Not all MMO players are paying for a game currently. You forget the F2P market. Also, many players switch games from time to time.
    A company that looks like they will try anything is not viewed as smart. They are viewed as unpredicable and reckless.
    Then again, I find your warped sense of reality entertaining. So continue on with your troll baiting :)

so following this logic, if 1000 people test a product and 85% of them state that it is sub-standard and does not live up to expectations..... try it anyways cause theres a good chance theres nothing wrong with said product?

You do not follow my logic but some of your own...which is flawed.

Having handful of ratings has little to do with sort of survey type research as you imply. The conditions are not even close.

Also, imaginary surveys tend to give imaginary results...

You do not follow my logic but some of your own...which is flawed.

Having handful of ratings has little to do with sort of survey type research as you imply. The conditions are not even close.

Also, imaginary surveys tend to give imaginary results...

imaginary????

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/276296/would-u-buy-another-cryptic-game.html

ok

imaginary????

ok

It is as valuable as x-fire numbers...probably even less.

imaginary????

ok

It is as valuable as x-fire numbers...probably even less.

so if the opinions of the majority of the people here on these forums are of no value, why are you reading them and responding to them?