Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think about the 200.000 gallons of oil that goes to waste in the Mexican Gulf each

Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Sorry for the spelling error,  I can't seem to fix it.

Correction: It's 200.000 gallons of oil each day.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Comments

• cryoracryora Member Posts: 367

Bad of course, but more on the story?

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Originally posted by cryora

Bad of course, but more on the story?

It's on CNN for gods sake.

Also "Is Gulf oil spill Obama's Katrina?" on cnn.com.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Bad, the environment is screwed and it gives big oil an excuse to raise prices.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

And why does not the oilcompany have tools and a plan ready when something like this happens?? Its not as it is the first time it happend! Last time it took eight months to close the leak.

Morons!

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well now they have the excuse to raise the gas prices more at the pumps...Horse and buggie's days are coming...

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

who the hell would say it's a good thing?  That's a silly question.

actually, I thought about it, I suppose in the long run it could possibly spur on some pushing for different fuel sources...we'll see.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I live in Florida, it sucks my waters are polluted from this and it ruins fishing and other tourism here.

These assholes wont get off the oil anytime soon.  We need battery cars, they say they are more expensive to produce but that is not the case, they get more incentive for selling gas cars because they are all in bed together with the oil companies.  Moving away from that means lower profits.  The day our government and motor companies remove themselves from the oil companies will be the day the earth ends.  I am sorry but it is true, we will use all oil in the earth before we anty up and get off of it.  All the BS talk by each President to move to new sources etc etc etc is just talk, no single president has yet to prove this. Proving it would be to increase battery cars production by 1000%.

I hate how they keep battery cars from being manufactured just cause they are sleeping together, it sucks.  How many people can go over the current 400 miles on one charge for the average consumer, work and back home. They need to give us freedom from the oil, this is a dream though we know it will never happen.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I voted good For Future Good that can come out of this. I just hope the damage isant irreparable.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

I think it makes the boring blue sea a nice shady black.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

My best performing shares this year are now not doing so good.

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

AP & NOAA

So far only sheens have reached some coastal waters. The oil has lingered in the Gulf for two weeks, despite an uncapped seafloor gusher. The slow movement has given crews and volunteers time to lay boom in front of shorelines, an effort stymied by choppy seas over the weekend.
    The undersea well has been spewing 200,000 gallons a day since an April 20 explosion aboard the drilling rig Deepwater Horizon that killed 11 workers. The rig was owned by Transocean Ltd.
    Meanwhile, crews haven't been able to activate a shutout valve underwater. Worse, it could take three months to drill sideways into the well and plug it with mud and concrete to stop the worst U.S. oil spill since the tanker Exxon Valdez ran aground in Alaska, leaking nearly 11 million gallons of crude.
    By all accounts, the disaster is certain to cost BP billions. But analysts said the company could handle it; BP is the world's third-largest oil company and made more than $6 billion in the first three months of this year. The oil spill has drained $32 billion from BP's stock market value.

Fishing has been shut down in federal waters from the Mississippi River to the Florida Panhandle, leaving boats idle Monday in the middle of the prime spring season. A special season to allow boats to gather shrimp before it gets coated in oil will close Tuesday evening.

• stevo5566stevo5566 Member Posts: 121

I think its bullshit. I live in Florida and now i cant swim or fish for awhile...I was about to take my wife and kids on a fishing trip and now its ruined because of the oil spill. It hit florida the other day and thousands of fish are dead and many people are disappointed because they cant go to the beach because of the oil spill. The water is my pride and i will not let them ruin it.

F.B.I

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

The first of 3 capped today.

I think anywhere this slick hits won't recover for a couple of years. Those beautiful white beaches maybe even longer. Good luck with your efforts to prevent this Steve.

As for BP, they forgot the golden rule of business, never invest in America. They will be getting sued over this for the next 2 decades at least.

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

I voted good For Future Good that can come out of this. I just hope the damage isant irreparable.

It is irreparable and quite sad that it takes a disaster to happen to bring such a huge problem to peoples attention. We're only seeing the devestation from the oil ontop the water, it's destroying a whole other world underneath the waves. The devestation on top is already in effect as it heads to coast lines of the US and begins to seep into the beautiful Mississipi River marshes amongst other coastlines. Underneath, there's coral reefs being destroyed, fish, dolphins, sharks and the overall food chain are becoming contaminated/dying. Overall extreme polution of the water from the sheer amount of oil that will never been cleaned from it  (I don't even believe we have the means to cleaning up oil on the bottom of the ocean floor). I honestly don't think people are actually grasping how much oil has been dumping into the water, let alone stop to think that the rig itself had 700,000 gallons of diesel fuel onboard when it sank.

What really makes me upset is the fact that there's 1000's of oil rigs in the Gulf Of Mexico alone. The risk that one of these would leak massive amounts of oil into the sea has ALWAYS been a real possibility (or inevitable should I say), yet, no one ever saw past the $$$ from the oil to think of a solution to something like this until it had already happened. Just to give you a rough estimate of the amount of oil rigs in the gulf coast alone, take note of the following image (2008 locations, each dot is an active oil rig):

Think to yourself for a moment, all this oil came from ONE oil rig. Sure it's only one out of a few thousand, but as you can tell it only takes one to destroy a large region. There's obviously the numbers out there that if even 2 or 3 of these had issues, it would scatter oil from mexico all the way to florida, not to mention oil that was underwater hauled away in the currents to other regions of the world.

I doubt any of these rigs do routine maintanence and checks on their "fail-safe" valves. They had doubts of turning off the valve before even sending the submarine down to turn it off. This tells you the company already knew the valve was not in working order. The entire industry was grown too fast with NO thought put into the enviromental effects it would have if not maintained properly. Everyone wants to cut costs to drill to have more profit when selling, now everyone especially nature, is paying for their greed.

The worst part is, none of us can do anything about it and the U.S. being so money hungry doesn't help either. All we can do is hope the U.S. Government get's their act together and enforces strict guidelines on drilling safety, fail-safes, upkeep and maintenance to keep this from happening in the future. While Sarah Palin is getting her followers chanting "Drill baby drill" little do they know the industry is ran in favor of profit over the well being of the enviroment. Which it's kinda funny how the US is pushing to have MORE drilling done, when you see images like the above it shows there's already ALOT of drilling already being done. It's just boiling down to old fashion greed.

edit: oil rig image was broken, updated image

• Originally posted by Draenor

who the hell would say it's a good thing?  That's a silly question.

Well my neighbor was a villain on that Captain Planet show, he seems to think this is great. Also loves his Chinese drywall.

As another Florida resident, I'm watching the Everglades with my fingers crossed. The place is sensitive enough without this happening. I understand that the Gulf Stream could take the oil around Miami, up the East Coast, and nail everything all the way up to Maine. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it's a pretty frightening scenario.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

This is what happens when you let children play with matches.