Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering Playing

I am considering coming to SWG. I haven't been playing any MMOs in a while. I've found most of them to be fairly repetative. Meaning that no matter if you are lvl 1 or lvl 51 you are pretty much doing the same thing just with better equipment and against tougher opponents, but at its core the game really doesn't evolve (IE: EQ & CoH). What attracted me to SWG was the fact it has a lot of similarities at least on the surface to Ultima Online, there is a large crafting system, and seems to be a healthy player environment with interaction between players. I also like how there are 'goals' (similar to UO) for you as a player in this game besides improving your combat skills. You can obtain houses unique loot (or at least somewhat unique), and even get your own ship etc... I guess what I am asking is really a multiple part question.

1. Are my impressions (listed above) of this game misguided? ( I have done some considerable amount of reading on it)

2. Is the game worth paying $15 bucks per month?

3. If I decide to join is it worth parting with $10 to buy a million credits on Ebay?

4. Does your chracter advance a decent rate without grinding or at least not a ton of grinding?

5. Is the Galactic Civil War aspect similar to an enormous guild war or is it more like gank an Imp/Reb if he wanders into the wrong spot, but otherwise both sides stay in the foxholes so to speak.

Well that about sums it up. Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• memnochenkilmemnochenkil Member Posts: 3

its a good game over all. much like many games it has its own flaws. I have played the game for about a year almost now. and i love it just as much now as i did when i started. The entire econmy of the game is player driven. You never will buy something from an NPC (with the exception of some faction based things but those are bought with faction points and not credits). 90% of all items in game are created by other players in some shape and or form.

1. The game is what it is. you either like it or you hate it.

2. yes

3. It will help some to start with.

4. Your character will advance depending on how fast you can grind out the skills for it. Some profs take mere days to grind. and then theres the elusive jedi proffesion that will take you at least 18 weeks of grinding to make padawan.

5. Its pretty much like a giant guild war especially if your on a big server (i play on bria. at any given moment during at day you will find at least 1,000 players on at once. If your Overt (pvp enabled) and wondering around with out a little group or a really big stick you can get ganked from time to time.

Thats pretty much the game. It's a good game especially if you get in with the big pvp guilds (if thats what your into they seem to be the most active of guilds). But its definately worth checking out i can say that.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

The game is what you make it. I love it, but I'm surrounded by people that like to make the most of it. To be totally honest, there isn't a lot in terms of "Official Content" (which I would bet will be getting a large boost after the Combat Revamp), but SWG gives you all the tools to create your own. If you like to get involved in the community you can do some very impressive things. There are even developers that will help make your player events awesome. If you look down a few threads you'll see where Darth Vader showed up to a player event.

Another downside, is it is pretty much a grind, whether crafting or combat. There isn't a lot to do to make "leveling up" fun. You basiclly just grind to master than do the fun stuff. Most crafting professions have very little to sell before they make master.

I would not waste the $10 on ebay, there are just WAAAY too many money making opportunities out there for that.

• DestoFallsDestoFalls Member CommonPosts: 54
    I started playing it when it was released. I admit it was confusing at first...but you get the hang of it, and eventually it slowly takes over your life until your girlfriend dumps you, you show up 10 minutes late for your job, your college grades go down a grade level, and you figure that swimming in a Naboo lake will compensate for your lack of showering.