Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Motherboard. Which one, under $100.00 ?

mudstuckmudstuck Member Posts: 203

After following all sugestions, from these forums, in troubleshooting a recent PC problem, I need a new Motherboard.

I have little money available to me, and come back to you all, for more guidance.

The Hard drive, Floppy, and DVD drive are the originals, and will be used. HD is SATA 8 mb cache, DVD is IDE( has the ribbon).

The parts below are all newer then 4 months, and will will be used.

GPU - XFX 5750 xxx

CPU - E-5300 Wolfdale ( stock heatsink and fan )

RAM - Gskill 667 DDR2 2gig x 2 dual channel kit @ 4 gigs ttl.

PSU - Thermaltake TR2 - 500 watt

OS- is Win Vista 32 bit

The mother board is the only part I can aford to upgrade. Tho going to a DDR3 would be sweet, I havent, the money for additional RAM.

I have my eye on two, one is a gigabyte, and one an ECS. I will just see what you guys think fist. One consideration I will mention, is that I have never replaced a motherboard before. I have installed all of the parts mentioned above.

Getting a board with good instructions,easy installation, and trouble free start-up, I would say, is a must, for me.

A bonus would be a board that will overclock, modestly, easily, later, when I get an improved Heatsink and fan. Yeah with 667mghz RAM, if that is possible.

Thankyou again for your time, and thoughts. I will apply and learn from, all your information.

Oh and this machine is used for playing LOTRO, Need for Speed Blacklist, BF Bad Company 2.

Comments

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Honestly, you dont wanna hear this, but the motherboard is one part you dont want to cheap out on. I used to get board $150 or less, and never really had a problem, but was definitely limited. Got myself an awesome EVGA motherboard and it was a dream to overclock and tweak. Just my 2 cents.

• dcmattman6dcmattman6 Member Posts: 8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

Cheap, good brand, easily overclockable, and future proof with sli cababilities and 8gb ram possible

You can get perfectly fine motherboards for less then $100 but ya really might as well get a cheap one since whatever processor you get next wont be on the 775 chipset.

• nratnamnratnam Member UncommonPosts: 186

TBH with the RAM and processor you got i wouldn't even bother with a new motherboard. It's old tech and you just have to upgrade it again for DDR3. IDE cabling is old and died out as well with most componets being SATA now. I would just keep saving till you have enough to upgrade your ram to DDR3, mother board and processor. SATA DVD players are pretty cheap to pick up as well. Also with your processor at the moment you are bottle Necking your graphics card.

I agree with nratnam but if you have to get a motherboard now and dont wanna wait awhile the one I suggested is perfectly capable. Also imo the processor isnt bottlenecking the videocard at all the 5750 is an overpriced peice of shit see here for a reference

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-7.html

And also the difference between ddr2 and dd3 is negligible so don't rush to get it see here

http://xtreview.com/review217.htm

So basiclly just get a cheap reliable motherboard until your ready to replace all your things completely.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by nratnam

TBH with the RAM and processor you got i wouldn't even bother with a new motherboard. It's old tech and you just have to upgrade it again for DDR3. IDE cabling is old and died out as well with most componets being SATA now. I would just keep saving till you have enough to upgrade your ram to DDR3, mother board and processor. SATA DVD players are pretty cheap to pick up as well. Also with your processor at the moment you are bottle Necking your graphics card.

Well, yeah. The differnce between DDR2 and DDR3 isn't that huge, at least not compared to using such an old processor and IDE cables.

I actually have DDR2 myself even if mine are the fastest ones but my computer do fine in benchtests (what a shocker, with a 295 GTX and 4 SSDs raided together). There is a difference but I rather get a faster processor in this case.

If you buy a new computer then DDR3s are of course the only option but with a very limited budget the DDR2 are at least acceptable if you have the components lying around anyways.

The processor is hopelessly outdated.

Still, if you must get a new motherboard for the old stuff I can recommend Gigabyte or MSI. They have acceptable cards for a very low budget and most expensive cards use the same components anyways even if they control them a bit better.

Lol you obviously arent restricted by money loke666 and in this case the og poster is while I appreciate your overpriced computer and would make a point to brag about it also your a rich bastard and i hate you for it lol

EDIT- And ddr3 is not the only option for a new computer there are plenty of new motherboards that can do ddr2 and ddr3.

Sadly the prices of ddr2 have risen due to decreasing production and overall market shift to ddr3, theyre pratically the same price now but all that means is in a  year or so ddr3 will be dirt cheap just like ddr2 used to be

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

I'm not sure on what grounds one can call the Radeon HD 5750 "an overpriced piece of shit", even just going off of a single game from a single review site (which is hardly the big picture  in the first place). The card performs exactly like it should for something that's $30 cheaper than the 5770, and between half and a third of the price of the 5850.

In fact, amusing as this is, the Tom's Hardware review supposedly linked for support actually shows why the 5750 is a good card. At 40% of the price of the 5850, it acheives 59% of the performance of the 5850 both with and without AA in Crysis. It holds up almost as well against the 5770 (matching it in terms of performance/price instead of beating it handily like with the 5850).

As for motherboards, you can't exactly use SLI with Ati cards, OP, so an nvidia chipset isn't too much help. If you really only can spend $100, then stick with something with just one PCIE 16x slot and get something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131393), which will still leave $20 left over from your budget.

• pdabb38pdabb38 Member Posts: 43

I found my self in a similiar situation with my 775 LGA board.I'm happy with my proc and mem, but got hit on not having PCI-E 2.0.So I went with this Asus intel board for $105 after rebate.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377

That is a nice motherboard, pdabb. I'd actually recommend it if the OP was willing to spend the $120 on it. I like it because having Crossfire adds a nice degree of flexibility (say, if he wanted to get a second GPU a year or two down the line to boost his performance).

• mudstuckmudstuck Member Posts: 203

Oh Crap!! back to the drawing board. Im so sorry , I neglected to measure my case. It's a Micro. Largest I can fit in it is 9.5"x10".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

Hows that look?

That looks like a fine motherboard, mudstuck, but it's hard to say. I've seen stellar performance from Gygabyte's high-end stuff, but I've also seen companies that I can say that same for that have cheap crap on the low end. For that reason, I'd probably recommend this board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131615), instead. Asus' high end boards are no better than what a few of the other good companies come out with, but strictly speaking, they don't have a low end; the cheapest you can do with them is mid-range (I'm surprised you can even get a board for $60), and the quality is never bad.

I had a P5K series board, and it worked great, even though mine was an ATX board (P5K-SE)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

if you were on a amd like a am3! i would say any will do but the fact you keep your intel make your choice pretty limited ,and im not sure that proc die is the new kind or if its another obsolete one !you ll have to check!

i would change both mobo and proc since it will still be probably cheaper down the road and you can have a very speedy dual core for very cheep and as long as you stick to am3 die will be futurproof for years to come since amd tend to stick longer to same die architecture then intel!

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by mudstuck

Oh Crap!! back to the drawing board. Im so sorry , I neglected to measure my case. It's a Micro. Largest I can fit in it is 9.5"x10".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

Hows that look?

Personally Ive never owned a gigabyte, Ive heard some good things about them.  I used to use MSI until I ran into issues with 2 boards consecutively. 

Im a die hard Asus fanboi now.  I wouldnt own any other motherboard.

Just sayin.. :)