Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzards next MMORPG *Starcraft*

happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I mentioned this while playing wow and it was like I unveiled a parading group of naked women... half of them wooped in appreciation and the other half howled in disgust.

I think it would be great, again youd be drawing on an estabolished world, granted only 3 races would be limiting but that would also open up more for racial abilities. Perhaps every unit could be a class?

Vultures as mounts? riding in an overlord?  Being in the ground in a zergling attack?  Flying vehicles?

Space station instances?

Comments

• ZheritelZheritel Member Posts: 176

Yeah... we can dream...

I would LOVE a "World of Starcraft" concidering that i HATE Warcraft.. But i think it will be years before any of the co's even concideres the idea..

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199
    Stop dreaming, and come back to reality.
    Such a thing isn't going to happen ..
  • happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    It's funny you say that, because most people would have said that an MMORPG based on a real time strategy game would never come to pass... played world of warcraft lately?
  • DekothDekoth Member Posts: 474

I love starcraft.

I loved warcraft up until WC3

I loath wow.

I think I would pretty much lose all faith in blizzard if they sold out and tried to push out a mmo of starcraft.

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Start lose'n faith.

As well as wow did its only a matter of time till there is a "Galaxy of Starcraft" or someshit.

They'd be foolish not to, although a diablo style mmo wouldnt entirely shock me either *shrug*.

They're going to use their brands to the max of their ability, its what companies do. Get over it, it's not a sell out when you're doing things with your OWN brand.

Shadus

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Heh, the Closed Beta players used to joke about that all the time, we would say something like "alright, we're done with WoW, when's UoS (Universe of Starcraft) coming?" Or "alright Blizzard, time to start working on UoS now!". The fact is though that once their server troubles for WoW are fixed (if ever...), I'm sure they will start developing/pick up the pace of their development on a Starcraft MMORPG (reason why I say pick up the pace is they could already have started development).

Originally posted by TheWarc
    Stop dreaming, and come back to reality.
    Such a thing isn't going to happen ..

so true...so true....
  • scarveinscarvein Member Posts: 194

I really love starcraft... but to say the truth, it doesnt have the potential to become a MMORPG. MMOFPS sounds more likely to me. But I doubt its gonna happen.

MMOFPS? why?

I don't think that would be too cool...

• ZrazikZrazik Member Posts: 195

Currently Blizzard doesn't need another MMO. They won't even start developing a new one before about 2010.

• FroztwolfFroztwolf Member Posts: 56

While Starcraft online would certainly be a possibility then I wouldnt expect it for at least 5-7 years. Seeing as normal development time for a mmorpg is 5 years (and Blizzard usually are in no hurry) and the fact that it is almost inconveivable that they would have started yet as there is still alot of work to be done on WoW which will tie up most of their MMORPG-experienced programmers for a while longer.

I don't think you can look at any MMORPG as a "need" can you?  That's like saying that we need to have movies made every year or we need a new brand of beverage to drink.

Granted they *could* simply ride the wow train as I'm sure it is satisfying them creatively and financially....

But look at sony, they'se so many games you can buy a station pass to play them all.  Why can't blizzard have more then one game?  I see it as this, this is their first MMORPG and they are learning some hard lessons for sure, I would hate for blizzard to be one hit wonder.

Imagine if rockstar had stopped at grand theft auto 3 and not gone on to make vice city and san andreas (most agree they got better each time).

Also the date you chose is probibly off a bit, most mmorpgs you can't count on many years of popularity, as much as I like wow it is a "shorter" game with the ease of leveling and such.

I realize that a starcraft mmorpg is far fetched, but just as wow refined eq1's basic concept stone cold (in my opinion)...  Could it not do the same in the sci-fi realm?  Imagine an improvement on Star Wars Galaxies or Anarchy Online?  I see no reason they couldn't dominate the sci-fi as well as the fantasy categories. I'm not saying copy the games out there but improving the genre wouldnt hurt them anymore then it hurt them in wow.

I said they don't 'need' in the sense they still haven't fully eaten the whole succes of WoW and making another game of the same genre could undermine it's succes in some way.
    If there was suposed to be SC MMO, it would most likely be vey different from WoW, I like the MMOFPS idea most.
    The previous Blizzard game WoW is most similar to is D2, but it's stil very different. And it was released 5 years ago - an apropriate time it seems.

Let's compare to SOE - EQ2 was released 5 years afer EQ, Planetside is MMOFPS, and SWG beside being in a different setting has many features not present in both EQ and EQ2. Blizzard doesn't make MMO's only and it's still too early for them to release another one.

• TeeiTeei Member Posts: 175
    I want to see Diablo 3 before the next Starcraft game. Blizzard usually work on 1 game at a time.

you make some good points, it word be like releasing a ps3 then a ps4 the next month... would be counter productive.

But i never said they had to start making it today, just that they should make it. 

Also consider that they started a large scale hiring phase at blizzard, this could well mean the development of a new console/mmorpg

Rockstar after creating vice city immediately went to work on san andreas (or it could have been from gta 3 to vice city I'm not positive which) but we still didnt see the game for some time.

I'm certianly not asking for them to rush out a game thats just wow with different textures, I don''t expect to see this game for a good long while, but I do hope to see it.

I disagree with a MMOFPS, and I'm assume that idea is cropping up because of the game starcraft ghost...  But mostly because I have bad coordination and could never play a game like that, more then I disagree with the idea on it's own.  I dislike them but perhaps I wouldn't if I were better equipped to handle them.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

If you read up on the news awhile ago, Blizzard North (the makers of Diablo) are hiring for a new RPG. This either means a brand new series, or Diablo 3. Either way, it should be good.

Also, I would rather die than see a Starcraft MMORPG. It would only rape the name of probably the best RTS ever made.

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

Originally posted by Shadus

Start lose'n faith.
    As well as wow did its only a matter of time till there is a "Galaxy of Starcraft" or someshit.
    They'd be foolish not to, although a diablo style mmo wouldnt entirely shock me either *shrug*.
    They're going to use their brands to the max of their ability, its what companies do. Get over it, it's not a sell out when you're doing things with your OWN brand.

You would think if that were the case they would have come out with Starcraft 2 since it's been 7 years. 

but isn't there a starcraft "sequel" coming?

i think it's called ghost-something.... i read and interview with one of the devs and he said they were working on an fps with a starcraft theme...

• LreguizrLreguizr Member Posts: 207

Universe of Starcraft will defenitly blow away EVE hands down.

SC: Ghost has been in work for some time, but they delayed it's release date several times, the first release date was even in late 2003! I may end up canceled like Warcraft Adventures was. But it's a Tomb Raider/ Metal Gear Solid clone so who cares anyway.

• Devil21Devil21 Member Posts: 74
    i think a starcraft mmo would b COOOOOLimage

Originally posted by Zrazik

SC: Ghost has been in work for some time, but they delayed it's release date several times, the first release date was even in late 2003! I may end up canceled like Warcraft Adventures was. But it's a Tomb Raider/ Metal Gear Solid clone so who cares anyway.

you mean like a third person "action" game?? no way!! that sucks!!

I don't know why you cant paste links but www.blizzard.com/ghost/

That is the game you were referring to starcraft: ghost if you're interested in taking a look.

Athough im not sure I'd call it a sequel anymore then I'd call wow a sequel to warcraft... more like based on the realm that has been invented by it, but that's only my opinion on that.

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Within the last two years, I have read a lot of press releases concerning Blizzard and their games. I have no idea where I read this, besides knowing it was a magazine article, but I do recall blizzard stating something along these lines.

This is not word for word mind you.

Blizzard: If the success of our game World of Warcraft takes off to an alarming rate and allows use to branch out farther, I don't see why wouldn't. Warcraft may be the more popular among our games and as of the moment the easiest to make into an MMO. But we believe that if enough time permits, we may branch out.

So boys and girls, its only a matter of time if all bodes well with WoW. It did make 75+ million dollars to create. ::::28::

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• ShaikuraShaikura Member Posts: 61
    Blizzard fanboys kill me.Wow is the worst playing game on the market.Its laggy and full of bugs.Blizzard should'nt be aloud to make another mmorpg ever again.They won't even put out monthly updates and patches for the game.I truely can't wait for the hype to die from this game.