Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley

2»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Daffid011

I have to agree that there is truth in this thread.  Once Smed was able to rid soe of hack designers like McQuaid and Koster, he was able to successfully brand and market many of the biggest and most successful mmos in the genre.  Each with its own flavor and distinctive style that set the trend for the rest of the genre to follow.  Smed has set the gold standard for mmos and that is why soe is the recognized industry leader. 

Huh?  Still hung over from last night, not in your right senses?  I mean come on, that paragraph has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen lately.  Granted McQuaid was a true hack, never figured out how to actually produce a working game, but Koster, truely one of the more brilliant designers in this genre.   As to Smed, he completely lost what he once might have had.  SOE has not had a success since the fatal NGE episode.  The only gold standard Smed ever made was how to turn a sure fire winner into a losing proposition.

• DAHBOODAHBOO Member UncommonPosts: 137

Lets put him in charge of STO and put that game out of its misery.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by BuzWeaver

I'd like to hear a little bit more about Everquest Next.

Everquest Next is ill advised. With Server mergers are now being called for on EQ2 , I doubt that there are enough Players to support a New version of the game.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I'm starting to think that this thread has no real focus at this point.

Not to mention its been a long time since I even thought of ol' smedley.  I kind of just forgot he was a person.

• ElfslikedinoElfslikedino Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Amathe

John Smedley doesn't make games. His company makes them.  He does make many decisions that impact games. Bad ones, usually. That is how SOE went from being a leader in this industry to an also ran. It's also how SOE developed a horrible reputation with many players.

I keep hoping by the time Everquest Next comes out, he won't be there anymore. Because if he is, expect RMT, item shops, micro transactions, and every other nickel and dime thing imaginable.

As I said before, Smed took a dead horse, Mcquaids creation, and brought it to life.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

SOE created some of the best MMOs ever..

Everquest

Star Wars Galaxies

Planetside

Then ruined them all and created nothing worthwhile since.

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by JestorRodo

Everquest Next is ill advised. With Server mergers are now being called for on EQ2 , I doubt that there are enough Players to support a New version of the game.

That is not happening anytime soon there is no need for server mergers.

There is next to no chat in EQ2 about the next game at all.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Duilyon

Pirates of the Burning sea is pretty damn good.

It seems SOE is going after Niche markets for some odd reasons. PotBS is an example, Vanguard, Marix and maybe even Free Realms. 

EQ2 was suppose to be a broad market appeal but of course WOW destroyed the chances of that. I just wish SOE would focus on creating niche games like POTBS, that would be the way to go, imo./

SOE in no part owns POTBS unless something has changed in the last 6 months.

SOE handles the billing and distribution of POTBS but Flying Labs contract maintained that SOE had no say in its development or content.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I have to agree that there is truth in this thread.  Once Smed was able to rid soe of hack designers like McQuaid and Koster, he was able to successfully brand and market many of the biggest and most successful mmos in the genre.  Each with its own flavor and distinctive style that set the trend for the rest of the genre to follow.  Smed has set the gold standard for mmos and that is why soe is the recognized industry leader. 

Huh?  Still hung over from last night, not in your right senses?  I mean come on, that paragraph has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen lately.  Granted McQuaid was a true hack, never figured out how to actually produce a working game, but Koster, truely one of the more brilliant designers in this genre.   As to Smed, he completely lost what he once might have had.  SOE has not had a success since the fatal NGE episode.  The only gold standard Smed ever made was how to turn a sure fire winner into a losing proposition.

I thought this was a sarcasm thread, so I played along. 

• helothelot Member UncommonPosts: 99

How Dare you make fun of the pioneer of the card game scheme for ingame stuff.   $$ for items servers.  Cash shop with $15 subscription funtime.   Cash shop with all the good armor graphics bonanza.   Exp potions for easy leveling.   etc.  He is the best!  

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I am curious what it may have to offer. I would agree that EQII did create a division between the two games, however some people may be looking for that next iteration.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Smedlys only contribution to MMO's has been the acceptance of micro transations in a P2P game. Quite literally...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by Malickie

Smedlys only contribution to MMO's has been the acceptance of micro transations in a P2P game. Quite literally...

That is not entirely true. he is also the master of HUGE nerfing without caring what it does to a class. I still remember when he nerfed the creature handler in SWG instead of actually fixing the bug that was causing the entire issue of creature handlers being overpowered. And then had the balls to tell the creature handler community that he would not look at changing what he did for 1 year. Now if that is not a slap in the face of the consumer, I dont know what is.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

That is not entirely true. he is also the master of HUGE nerfing without caring what it does to a class. I still remember when he nerfed the creature handler in SWG instead of actually fixing the bug that was causing the entire issue of creature handlers being overpowered. And then had the balls to tell the creature handler community that he would not look at changing what he did for 1 year. Now if that is not a slap in the face of the consumer, I dont know what is.

That really wouldn't have been Smed as he wasn't SWG's game director, where smed came in was saying. Hey, in the future lets sell a CH based expansion pack yet remove CH, It will be awesome!

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

That really wouldn't have been Smed as he wasn't SWG's game director, where smed came in was saying. Hey, in the future lets sell a CH based expansion pack yet remove CH, It will be awesome!

Actually it was smed. he was the one posting what the changes were and he was the one that posted that they would not look back at the creature handler for 1 year after they made the changes. I mean, they made these changes just a little after a month of its launch and I will never forgot that arrogant sob telling me and every other creature handler out there that he was god and his word was law, with his statements of the changes. thats when they lost me!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I seem to recall Smedleys first post ever on the SWG forums being after the CU was announced and his second post being an almost carbon copy of that same post right after the NGE was announced.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Duuude. Not another Smed posts. 

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by mehhem

Originally posted by Elfslikedino

One day Smed, when your sitting on your luxurious, 17 Diamond Carrot encrusted chairs on the archipelago of your private islands, I'll be there one day Smed...I'll be there one day watching you sip the finest wine, while I drink from my marble jeweled glass with fine sparkling tropical juices.

You made it Smed, better yet, We made it Smed.

Now Smed you better fuckin invest over 700 million in Square-Enixs upcoming Dragon Quest MMORPG because you know it's going to be a fucking gold mine.

That's right smed, I fucking guarantee you Dragon Quest XI is going to be made into a MMORPG just like they did with the Final Fantasy series, and if not XI, then most certainly XII - XVI.

Its carat.... diamond carat, not the carrot you eat.

I think he meant diamond/carrot.

Smed loves sitting on carrots.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Wear the salty drawers of the Smed upon your head and breathe deeply, my friends!

For then you shall know the stuff from which this industry was built!

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Amen.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Huge EQ fan, here. I don't believe we will ever see that game. Smedster has already said he wants to create Farmville clones. Also, agree with you. SOE needs to take a few steps back from this industry. Well, more than they have already done(zing!!!!).

Originally posted by Beatnik59

Wear the salty drawers of the Smed upon your head and breathe deeply, my friends!

For then you shall know the stuff from which this industry was built!

Only by Smed's elven hands, was the dwarfed vision Richard Garriot had for the MMORPG, actually exceeded and taken to new heights by the elven hands of Smed.

That's right, Smed is part elf. It's where he gets the very creative and original ideas for micro transactions, it's the elven blood.

Originally posted by Varny

SOE created some of the best MMOs ever..

Everquest

Star Wars Galaxies

Planetside

Then ruined them all and created nothing worthwhile since.

Smeds time will come again, where he sits upon his golden throne of RPG innovation.

There may have been some lows from SOE as of late, but Smed is testing the waters, he's turning the lights on a little.

By Smed lucratively cashing in on the gaming consumer, he's turning the lights on a little.

This discussion has been closed.