Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Allods?

x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

I'm not normally one for F2P but this game recieved a fairly positive review in the most recent PC Gamer so I figured I'd try it out.  Seems to be wow-ish but I'll hold off on calling it a clone 'till I've seen for myself.

Anyone playing have any tips or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Comments

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

It is ok. Classes aren't that balanced really. Summoner's usually screw everyone up with their dots and with their pets who can run as far as they want from their master and still attack the enemy.

You level up by questing all the time. They're really easy since all the quests are shown on the map. Best gear while leveling comes from reputation vendors and you can do repetable quests to get your reputation up or just regular quests but regular ones won't be enough to get it to max.

The game has a fair depth of character advancement because you have talent points and grid sets. There are 3 grid sets for every class and you can place points up, left, right and down on the grid set and people do have different builds unlike in WoW.

The cash shop isn't that useful at start but items like perfumes lets you get pass the fear of death effect when you die. the FoD effect lasts 45 minutes on lvl 40 players and it lowers your stats by 20% which is quite horrible and perfumes also lowers the damage on dots that some classes do and stun duration (which will help you a lot when you're facing a mage). So basically, a player who buys perfumes is bound to have an advantage in PvP. You can also buy perfumes from other players but I don't know what the prices are.

The worst part is that gear and level play even a bigger role than in WoW. Someone is 3-4 levels higher than you? You have no chance of winning. Unless they are just horrible or don't have proper gear.

• Damiarch72Damiarch72 Member Posts: 9

PVP turns into a mindless gankfest though.The first real pvp area is level 22-25++ and the level 35+'s like to gank because they can.PVP system made me give it up.If you dont like the one hit drive by ganking of your character dont bother...cause it will happen... a lot.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

Originally posted by sushimees

It is ok. Classes aren't that balanced really. Summoner's usually screw everyone up with their dots and with their pets who can run as far as they want from their master and still attack the enemy.

You level up by questing all the time. They're really easy since all the quests are shown on the map. Best gear while leveling comes from reputation vendors and you can do repetable quests to get your reputation up or just regular quests but regular ones won't be enough to get it to max.

The game has a fair depth of character advancement because you have talent points and grid sets. There are 3 grid sets for every class and you can place points up, left, right and down on the grid set and people do have different builds unlike in WoW.

The cash shop isn't that useful at start but items like perfumes lets you get pass the fear of death effect when you die. the FoD effect lasts 45 minutes on lvl 40 players and it lowers your stats by 20% which is quite horrible and perfumes also lowers the damage on dots that some classes do and stun duration (which will help you a lot when you're facing a mage). So basically, a player who buys perfumes is bound to have an advantage in PvP. You can also buy perfumes from other players but I don't know what the prices are.

The worst part is that gear and level play even a bigger role than in WoW. Someone is 3-4 levels higher than you? You have no chance of winning. Unless they are just horrible or don't have proper gear.

Thanks.

I see GPotatoes cost $0.01 each, so 1,495 of them per month would be equal to a sub fee in a 'normal' MMO, although I'm not able to see how much cash shop stuff costs 'till this patch finishes downloading, although from what info I've found perfumes and other cash shop essentials seem to be pretty cheap.

As for ganking, after playing EvE for 3 years I'm pretty sure I can handle getting my ass handed to me out of nowhere a few more times.  Although I'm not playing any MMOs at the moment - my real life committments for the foreseeable future are such that I just can't justify sinking a sub fee into a game I may not be able to log into (and do anything useful in) for a month or two at a time.  Which is why I'm trying out F2P.

• golightgolight Member Posts: 104

It's a fun game to level up in, as previous poster mentioned Gear is extremly important. If you find it very hard or dying a lot, then it's likly to be your gear. Even a few points less or more in a stat can make a major difference. Keep gear and stats balanced, and always upgrade all the time.

Take your time leveling because currently there is no PVP or real Endgame.

PvP in holylands can often scare people off, it often becomes a gank fest with some high lvl players killing entire raids of low lvls. Just do your own thing instead and learn to avoid those type of PvP fights.. run away when there are high lvls around. (you have no chance against someone a few lvls higher). Otherwise you might get very frustrated.

You got to understand and learn how fatigue works, otherwise you will run out of quests and be out of tune with what lvl area you're in. In short, never hand in quest if you've used up your fatigue. Either kill mobs or logoff. Fatigue makes a big difference in how long leveling takes.

Play: -
    Played: FFXIV, WAR, Allods, Aion, AoC, DDO, EQ2, GW, Lotro, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WoW

Originally posted by x_rast_x

Originally posted by sushimees

Thanks.

I see GPotatoes cost $0.01 each, so 1,495 of them per month would be equal to a sub fee in a 'normal' MMO, although I'm not able to see how much cash shop stuff costs 'till this patch finishes downloading, although from what info I've found perfumes and other cash shop essentials seem to be pretty cheap.

As for ganking, after playing EvE for 3 years I'm pretty sure I can handle getting my ass handed to me out of nowhere a few more times.  Although I'm not playing any MMOs at the moment - my real life committments for the foreseeable future are such that I just can't justify sinking a sub fee into a game I may not be able to log into (and do anything useful in) for a month or two at a time.  Which is why I'm trying out F2P.

It's VERY expensive, but you should not need really need to buy anything much until Max lvl though or at least in late 30s.

If you want a game to just login now and then for an hour or two, Allods is perfect. You can easily enjoy it without spending much money. But at max lvl it's a different story. You either then have to pay a lot of real cash OR spend a lot of time grinding for gold or incense. That is likly to change in a upcoming patch were it seems you have no choice other than paying. Running endgame instances also becomes very boring and very very tidious.

Please be aware that Gpotate is one of the worst and most greedy MMO companies around. Customer support or GMs are non existant.

Played: FFXIV, WAR, Allods, Aion, AoC, DDO, EQ2, GW, Lotro, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WoW

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i wish it was as the last poster said but the truth is gpotato only move in very desparete situation like aika but otherwise  they dont move too much !

so yes they are there but they are static andf become dynamic only in very dire situation like i mentionned .

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

I have been doodling around with the game on and off over the past week. My opinion of the game depends on what I compare it to. When compared to other mmos its actually not too bad. As a game in its own right it's extremely dull and brainless. At times it has felt to me as though I'm not really playing a game at all but rather going through a string of pre-planned motions where the outcome is inevitably identical for every player. Its effectively a blonde bimbo - it looks gorgeous but there is no-one at home.

Obviously its a direct ripoff of WoW but it does a reasonably good job of things relatively speaking. Visually its more advanced with very crisp, colourful and well designed landscapes and a decent variety of well animated monsters to encounter. There is also a fairly good choice of races and classes to pick from with nicely made character models although again they are very clearly influenced by WoW, right down to having one side (Empire) allowing you choose between an undead (with mechanical bits added) or an orc. Its got all the usual quests and crafting that people have been brainwashed into expecting and accepting. Basicly its a totally bog standard mmo with fairly pretty graphics. The combat is clunky but functional. I would say its about on the same level as WAR in that regard.

The thing that I find amusing about this F2P title is that it pretty much has everything you can get from the other so-called AAA P2P mmos.......which is a bit of a slap in the face of those over-priced ripoffs. Why are they charging monthly fees when this game does it all for free? I guess the cash shop may well kick in at some point further down the line but so far I have not paid it any attention. I've read about players getting to very high levels without spending any cash at all.

You really do need to leave your brain at the door with this one though, which seems to be the standard of most mmos these days. A 5 year old could play this game with very little difficulty. If it wasnt free then I certainly wouldnt be bothering with it. Just click those quest givers, mindlessly mash those skill buttons over and over again, watch the quest objectives complete themselves in the quest list and then when your done run back, collect your reward and run off to the next quest giver. You dont even have to read the quest text to be honest. Just click the accept button. Its all mindless drivel anyway. Like a lot of modern mmos, this one plays like a very watered down single player game with optional co-op features.......although those co-op features are actually required with some of the boss fights I have encountered.

In essence Allods sums up everything that has gone wrong with mmos. It's very simplistic and requires very little thought to play. It is full of players running around ignoring each other as they play against the computer, read text files and do all the simple actions that the computer tells them to do. I have found myself in random groups quite regaularly and yet have had absolutely no reason to talk to anyone. Everyone is basicly playing their own game.

But I can forgive Allods for all of this because its free.......and that reason alone puts this game miles ahead of the rest.

• ironleviironlevi Member Posts: 122

Game was great until I got to Holy Gank Lands.

I'm cool with some PvP but that was just bullshit. Death penalty is too harsh for a casual player with only 1-2 hours per day to play. Couldn't get anything done after lvl 23. If they found a way to keep the lvl 40s out of the level 20 zones I might play again.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

The most important advice for newcomer:

- gear is everything, level is really only usefull for unlocks. You want to keep you important stats (marked with star) all about equal or you efficiency drops a lot. It can be quite futile at lower levels so game may be a bit slow. It is very noticeable at 12-14, because at 15 you unlock three new gear slots. If you need to sacrifice some stat, make luck (crit chance) low. Alchemy potions can help ballance your stats, as can cash shop elixirs (gets very expensive). Level-up stats are nothing by midgame put them where you need to.

The lesser advices:

This game is extremly rigid theme park. Do *all* the quests before moving on you you will miss some obscured follow ups that unlock character upgrades. Mobs +2 levels are challenging, mobs -2 levels give miserable xp. Do not play when "fatigue" expires, you will gte half XP, will run out of quests and will have to grind next level on mobs (at half speed, obviously). This is theme park, do not walk on the grass.

By 23 you will be pushed into PvP enabled zone. If you are EvE player you know how to handle that, stay under radar and cope with useless ganks. It will get better later (or worse if you are avid PvPer :) and be mostly peacefull in last three four zones. By 40 in crap gear dots do some 1k per tick and you have some 40k HP, double or more in better gear. Physical damage is even worse due to faster scaling, a few levels higher warrior will reduce all your damage to zero or near zero and kill you in one two hits. So do not try to fight back as lowbie, it is completely futile, just run and hide.

And last : the game is fun to try and the fun lasts a good while, go get it, it is very well worth trying. First hand experience is better than any review. Do not get too attached - emotionally or financially. Like most F2Ps it gets ugly eventually but it is incredibly good for being free - until it stops being free, which in US/EU version is quite late (and quite soon in current russian version). There are better games to pump fortune into, where money actually gets you fun, RoM being one of them, EvE another.

Originally posted by Tyrrhon

The most important advice for newcomer:....

Excellent advice, sums it very well!

Edit: Shortened down the quote.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by ironlevi

Game was great until I got to Holy Gank Lands.

I'm cool with some PvP but that was just bullshit. Death penalty is too harsh for a casual player with only 1-2 hours per day to play. Couldn't get anything done after lvl 23. If they found a way to keep the lvl 40s out of the level 20 zones I might play again.

Holy Lands is like hazing.  Once you make it though to lvl 25 it gets a lot more fun.

But the zone does need fixing.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

Originally posted by Tyrrhon

The most important advice for newcomer:

Rather than this advice, I wish I had gotten this one:

Research & plan your talent build and grid.  This is not WoW with easy resets, it is expensive to constantly reset, in real cash.  Or you have to wait till the late levels for a quest that gives the item needed.  There is much more customization, so I would suggest going onto the official forums, looking through some builds and devising your own.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by x_rast_x

I'm not normally one for F2P but this game recieved a fairly positive review in the most recent PC Gamer so I figured I'd try it out.  Seems to be wow-ish but I'll hold off on calling it a clone 'till I've seen for myself.

Anyone playing have any tips or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

I got an important tip for you. Dont play on multiple PC's they will delete your character for account sharing.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• NueshaNuesha Member Posts: 41

I enjoyed it at first but then deleted the game since it takes forever to level up. And I mean forever..

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

3 words: Cash Shop Dependant.

It's too bad. The world and characters are well designed, and gameplay is generally smooth. Gankfests in early PvP zones notwithstanding, of course.

Originally posted by Nuesha

I enjoyed it at first but then deleted the game since it takes forever to level up. And I mean forever..

Surely, you must be jesting.  If you're not, I suspect you ride the short yellow bus to school.

• Sindri44Sindri44 Member Posts: 24

ok first off lets start i looked at this post and saw that allods was getting some praise........aaaand i dunno why downloaded the game made an account(5-6accounts) only to be told cannot connect to the server the stupid login screen wont log me in

after about 2 hours of making accounts and trying to get an confirmation email i got a confirm email and ....well confirmed my account i then proceeded to log in again to no avail image

so after that i uninstalled and played prototype

im looking for an mmo to play pref FTP but it seems EvE is loking tempting and AION is also looking good to me but not got funds

but allods have gotten a bad rep from me not that they care anyway and ive gotten carried away with ranting so

RANT OVER!!!!!!!!!!

Played AoC,WaR,Allods,archlord,WoW,Fallen Earth, and many more

Life fears death, but lives only to die. It starts with anxiety. Anxiety becomes fear. Fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to suffering... The only cure for this fear is total destruction.

• ZixoZixo Member Posts: 15

I enjoyed in CB and a bit in OB, but well the pvp is nothing special the game was created for pve, the community sucked big time on Eu server lots off Wow spam/farm/item assholes and you have to pay for parfumes or you gonna be weak for death penaly what lasts for long... Fail

• JuKuGJuKuG Member Posts: 14

Its fine.

Holy lands is fine 2 once u get into a guild or make some friends.

I ran trough asee teph as a mage... never turned my flag off.

I had lot of PvP fun as a lvl 25.

Next zones were kinda boring till i got to lvl 40.

The real problem is lack of endgame.

Farming astral for 10h+ every day can get littlebit boring, but try out the game... lvling up is lot of fun.

And CS is not that bad, only item u need from CS is incense and it can be bought from other players.

There is incense dailie quest and GM event allmost every day... some BS event like sing along or Allods trivia to get CS items.

I dont even use incense that much anymore cause u dont get death penalty at astral most of the time.

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

The game plays out like a fairly stereotypical MMO till level 24(ish), During that time you only really get to do 1-3 Instanced dungeons and 2 of them are extremely challenging unless you have a really pro group or a high level to escort you.

Their are a lot of good qualities about this game, non auto attack based combat, a good amount of customization, each race looks pretty good, and the Gibberlings and  Arisens are insanely cool, a wide worth of depth to the talent grid system, all make up just a few of the good things about the game.

Now on to the bad, the amount of bugs in the game are pretty staggering, while this is Beta and each patch does get rid of some its a lot of bugs to the point of rarely having a day in which you don't find multiple bugs/glitches/errors.

Each of the above named instances are not toned to the point where you can do them very easily with out a pro group making PuGs not very doable. 

The entire game promotes grouping to an absurd level, for instance while doing quests which all you need to do is have mobs drop random items on their loot table, it is better to have as many people grouped together because this increases the drop rate. Their are also Raid Bosses that are in ever zone that sadly feel more like zerg and kite fights due to either poor tanks, or weird threat mechanics that don't make sense. WTB a threat meter for this game.

Then we have Asse-Teph. This zone is probably every thing I hate about MMOs wrapped up in a single zone, the list:

Forced PvP, people can gain an item that auto flags players around them. Yea not fun.Massive amount of Pvp quests, and on top of this a limited number of pve quests.

Ganking: While I don't mind the occasional pvp fight while grinding, its not really a fight when they are level 40 and your level 24. 

Mobs of all levels wondering about: In this game every level counts way too much, so when a Mob attacks you and they are 2-3 levels higher than you, you are probably toast, especially if your still in combat with another mob or player, what is worse is their are enemy NPCs that are level 40 right next to quest achievements forcing you to beg a high level for help.

Inability to solo: while I get that this is a MMO, WoW has proved that you should let some people play by themselves till max level. Its not an issue of wanting to play by myself really and more that if I log on and the server doesn't have any one currently playing I am forced to play a different game. Its beyond this but that is the core of the argument.

The only play to quest: this is the choke point of the game, both sides have to come together in the same zone, they do this in order to help force the pvp in this area, while its a cute idea when the server first comes out its crap after this point due to all the above named reasons and you cant escape it by just going some place else.

Fear of Death:

Each time you die in Allods you are forced to stay in Purgatory for a bit of time (based on your level.) for me it is a little over a minute. Then you gain a Debuff that makes all you Offensive stats loss by 25%, (the time is based on your level.) for me it is 3mins. So now every time I die I have to wait 4 mins. After the 4x dying to one of the above named reasons I generally just stop playing, even if I Used the Item that removes FoD and gives me a temp buff it wouldn't be enough to off set the billion other problems.

In the end the sad part is I didn't even get to most of the problems, while the game has a lot of good things the bad off set this way too much. Hopefully in the next major patch they fix this zone or at least make the instances playable.