Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to Age of Conan

2»

Comments

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Originally posted by cyphers

Well, if WoW is your thing, then AoC most definitely will be not.

It's the opposite of that. The reason it doesn't interest me anymore is because of the fact that it has turned into a mature version of WoW, but without all of the elements that make WoW a good game.

The only reasons to play AoC instead of WoW are the graphics and the Conan lore (for the people who like it). The game doesn't have a definite identity or anything else that makes it unique and sets it apart. Well maybe the melee combat. That's it.

A lot of the problems that I know were there at launch have been solved in the meantime. I can't say this is the case for everyone, but I myself have found the game to be stable and relatively lagfree, except for sieges. As far as I can tell most people I know also have little problems in that area. I know there's been done a lot for balancing the classes and PvP, but I guess like in other games that's a neverending process.

Like someone said, the core hasn't changed, so if that wasn't your cup of tea, then it won't be now as well.

Me, I like the the melee combat, it has been one of the best I encountered with the positioning, combos and fatalities and such it is still highly immersive. At least, to me. The magic combat, not so much, too much a reminder of how other MMO's do it.

I think it's good sense to not try the expansion right from the start if at all, you'll probably not like it. Just wait, see for a few weeks after, if it warrants a change of mind or not.

I'm not going to be trying it ever again, because it is no longer the AoC people wanted at launch, and won't ever become that because of the reason I stated above. It has already diverged alot from the game FC were aiming to create.

I've moved on, and so has AoC. :)

• AsherduAsherdu Member UncommonPosts: 5

Goddamn, some morons here on MMORPG....

If there are people enjoying the game, let them goddamn enjoy the game, im not spamming the WoW forums that Blizzard is a company full of money grubbing whores who make a cheapass game that everyone and there retarded nephew can play...

The only way people like to commicate, these days, name calling -_- Idiots...

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Teala

It's amazing how many first time posters are in this thread stating they are returning to AoC. Screams of viral marketing.

What the hell are you even spewing on about?!....The OP is Canadian...and up until your ridiculous contribution..there was one UK and one Netherlands post. The rest are from the U.S...unless you think New Jersey is in Norway..then your just a trolling arse. AoC is a good game...you don't play? Your loss. We'll keep having fun.

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by TSWBETAROGS

Originally posted by Darkjinxter

Age of Pets more like, since every update and 'improvement' in this game invariably introduces new pets for players to own and love. I'd much rather get a better axe than a doberman puppy, but no.

People got different needs, and it is not just pets introduced in the patches. What about T2 and T2 gears ;). And the new mounts for the expantion is not pets, but realy cool mounts. AoC is more about having fun playing then just owning the newest gear (like in sutck game like WOW).

Perhaps I should have made my post clearer. Every update and 'improvement' since Gaute left as Game Director has been nothing more than a tweak, and here are the tweaks....

Guild Renown - ripped from LotRO it is essentially a points system based around grinding the things already in place (assets) in AoC, it even uses the original XP system disguised as valour, glory and artistry - ie the points gained based on your level exactly reflect the xp you have got for simply killing a mob, or completing a quest. Then come the 'rewards' your guild gains from ranking up, again merely a re-positioning of existing in-game assets, save for one or two. Essentially a rip-off.

Pets - Yes, pets. There is now a veritable menagerie of pets available in AoC, again 99% in-game assets simply re-positioned. For some reason unbeknown to me AoC's current Game Director seems to think the playerbase wants pets.

Off-Line Levelling - ripped from EvE, this wonderful gameplay changing 'improvement' grants you a free level-up every 4 days for one of your characters. Inspired? no, again a cheap and easy 'improvement' based around appeasing the MTV generation, and again quite why AoC's Game Director had his team put so much effort into this is beyond my ken. This offline skilling stuff is to be expanded to include pets.

And all the while the above was going on AoC's Game Director set about 'dumbing down' Gaute's vision by nerfing the one game defining solo instance the game had to offer, the Grim Grey God. You went into that instance a child and came out a man. Yet now you simply swan through it, no problem.

Then, to cap it all off, Black Ring Citadel attunement, which in itself encouraged players to raid, and learn to raid successfully was totally discarded!! Are you a level 80? Want to go to T2 raids, off you toddle!

As for TSWBETAROGS'  comment about T2 and T2 gears, it's T2 axes I seek, however after 2 years playing AoC I have only seen one such axe drop, and ofc I lost the roll on it. It's a hard life in Hyboria, and one I appreciate. one day I will get those axes, by my own efforts. Unless ofc AoC's Game Director decides to sell them on Ebay, which he's probably considering.

I do not appreciate the tinkering and dumbing down of AoC as it stands now.

Onto RotGS, again we see a couple of new pets on offer. A Kappa for online pre-orders and a cougar for retail boxes...Ooooo which to choose?

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

A person on here with over 4k posts(omg no life at all!) is complaining about new posters...

I have more than one post and I returned to age of conan and I love it.  It's the best MMO at the moment no doubt about it as I've bounced around quite a bit this year trying out what's out there.  If you were in a vast open land destined to survive on your wits and traveling alone you'd want a companion pet as well.  The only thing that bothers me about the pets is I keep seeing the kappa around and I hate that thing with a passion haha.  The game is vastly improved, the fun is in the combat and the unbelievably beautiful settings where these battles take place.  The raids and dungeons have been adjusted to reflect this and make them a much more fluid and reactive experience.  Bravo I say to them.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• Diabolo500Diabolo500 Member Posts: 21

as people above me have said, its simply a watered down, shallow game that has nothing new, and all the things it has are superficial and shallow. it has 0 depth.

sure it looks good, and melee combat is kinda 'different', but it doesn't have anything going for it apart from these. the direction the game is heading in is nothing like what it was supposed to be, nowadays its just turning more and more into a pve grind for gear, and thats about the ONLY thing that you can do as pvp and sieges are a joke, crafting is meaningless, there is no economy etc.

i realize there are still people who enjoy the game and thats fine, but i'm sorry i can't figure out the reasons to play this other than the lore if you're into conan and the graphics if you're into this kind of artstyle.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

I returned and having a blast .. but since I am an allmost "first time poster", I guess my opionion is invalid.

I.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Game is amazing but i will wait till new expac releases. then i will roll a new alt with new race. This is Funcom we are talking about, guys who made AO (awesome and the most innovative MMO of its time), The Longest Journey and my current favorite for future The Secret World.

Anything with FUNCOM tag on it is worth every cent for me.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by Electriceye

The game is greately improved, as other say it is stil the same core game and if you dont like it, you just dont.

It would help if you could give more info of what you dont like and where these things are alot better(other games).

If you check out all the Rotgs trailer you will se what you are missing out on. The dungons are epic and the playfields are larger and more open.

Keep in mind that there are things I like about the game. I had followed the game for a year before it actually launched and was looking forward to it very much as it was marketed as THE next-gen MMO, from spellweaving, to 100vs100 keep sieges, to bar brawls etc., and yet it was all lies and lies. Sadly its launch left a bitter taste in my mouth and it was a huge let-down and disappointment to say the least. Learned my lesson after that, never, ever buy into the hype.

I wouldn't bank on the expansion releasing bug-free, not after what they did at launch. ROGS does seem good in theory and in their words, like the original game did, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out it was just the hype machine over and over again.

Now that's all in the past and It may be true that It's impossible for me to ever enjoy this game again. Anyway some of the things that screwed it for me a couple of months ago:

Instancing and loading screens (instant traveling) kills immersion. I was ready to live with this in the past as long as the game had a lot of good on the other side of the balance, but since I knew it didn't it felt like a game-breaking issue.

For some reason I still get lag spikes every few seconds just like at launch and that renders the game virtually unplayable (I'm positive it's not on my side as the 2year old thread on the forums is still going). Apparently this is only one of the many bugs that are still present since launch.

I feel the overall UI and chat is clunky, from the very limited chat customizations available, to key binds, abilities icons, LFG window, etc.

PvP in general is pretty weak and unbalanced and FC's decision to take the easy route and just pump out PvE instances and raids instead of fixing and improving the actual game be it PvP or other issues doesn't bode well at all. 

There is a general lack of things to do apart from killing mobs. You can't even help out guildies in lower level content because of a stupid mechanic they added shortly after launch that "fixes" high level chars farming low level content. Is this still in place? 

The direction the game is heading towards is sad. They started out with a "gear doesn't mean anything" policy that didn't quite work out as the endgame in itself was a gear grind, a grind for gear that barely changed anything. How on earth did they ever think it could work out without rewarding players in an alternative way to gear is beyond me.

I know they gave more importance to gear and pumped out instances and raids (the easy route I was talking about), but it was never the game myself and others wanted. It's no longer a game I'm interested to play, because it turned 180degrees from what AoC fans wanted, the game they set out to do since the beginning.

We wanted something fresh and different, we got WoW with a mature setting, but without the quality PvE content, the open-world, the game mechanics, economy etc. basically we got a worse WoW.

They did promis to mutch and lanche the game prematurely.  The expantion now has been beta tested alot more than the Orignal game was, sow there will not be the same big issues like at lanch.  The expantion will give a huge amount of end content sow there will be alot to do for all of use.  If you check out xfire you can se people has allready started comming back in huge numbers before lanch is in 8 days.  There are a sorry few who say they get  lagspikes, and to that I can onely say it is realy bad for you. I realy dont know anyone in my guild having  that problem, sow it might be harwear issues.

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

Age of Pets more like, since every update and 'improvement' in this game invariably introduces new pets for players to own and love. I'd much rather get a better axe than a doberman puppy, but no.

People got different needs, and it is not just pets introduced in the patches. What about T2 and T2 gears ;). And the new mounts for the expantion is not pets, but realy cool mounts. AoC is more about having fun playing then just owning the newest gear (like in sutck game like WOW).

Perhaps I should have made my post clearer. Every update and 'improvement' since Gaute left as Game Director has been nothing more than a tweak, and here are the tweaks....

Guild Renown - ripped from LotRO it is essentially a points system based around grinding the things already in place (assets) in AoC, it even uses the original XP system disguised as valour, glory and artistry - ie the points gained based on your level exactly reflect the xp you have got for simply killing a mob, or completing a quest. Then come the 'rewards' your guild gains from ranking up, again merely a re-positioning of existing in-game assets, save for one or two. Essentially a rip-off.

Pets - Yes, pets. There is now a veritable menagerie of pets available in AoC, again 99% in-game assets simply re-positioned. For some reason unbeknown to me AoC's current Game Director seems to think the playerbase wants pets.

Off-Line Levelling - ripped from EvE, this wonderful gameplay changing 'improvement' grants you a free level-up every 4 days for one of your characters. Inspired? no, again a cheap and easy 'improvement' based around appeasing the MTV generation, and again quite why AoC's Game Director had his team put so much effort into this is beyond my ken. This offline skilling stuff is to be expanded to include pets.

And all the while the above was going on AoC's Game Director set about 'dumbing down' Gaute's vision by nerfing the one game defining solo instance the game had to offer, the Grim Grey God. You went into that instance a child and came out a man. Yet now you simply swan through it, no problem.

Then, to cap it all off, Black Ring Citadel attunement, which in itself encouraged players to raid, and learn to raid successfully was totally discarded!! Are you a level 80? Want to go to T2 raids, off you toddle!

As for TSWBETAROGS'  comment about T2 and T2 gears, it's T2 axes I seek, however after 2 years playing AoC I have only seen one such axe drop, and ofc I lost the roll on it. It's a hard life in Hyboria, and one I appreciate. one day I will get those axes, by my own efforts. Unless ofc AoC's Game Director decides to sell them on Ebay, which he's probably considering.

I do not appreciate the tinkering and dumbing down of AoC as it stands now.

Onto RotGS, again we see a couple of new pets on offer. A Kappa for online pre-orders and a cougar for retail boxes...Ooooo which to choose?

Dont forget all the new instances that have filled huge gaps. It is a hard world and the drops are fare apparte. I think that the expantion will help alot on the lack of end content. Just whate and se. Alot of sweet dungons as well.