Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So which profession is not going to make it into GW2

sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

So which profession is not going to make it into GW2

I feel TheRitualist for sure followed by the Dervish are going to get booted out

Comments

• jdram14jdram14 Member Posts: 36

I think their names will certainly be different, but that isn't to say that they will be removed from the game entirely. I would bet that there will still be some sort of profession that uses enchantments, like the dervish, or something that communes with the spirits, like the ritualist. However, keep in mind that not only are two professions going to be "removed". More than that for sure. We know there will be eight professions and that one of the new professions is going to be something that uses firearms. So lets assume there is a Gunner. It's a placeholder name, but one that works. This means another profession has to go as well.

Are they likely going to strip every profession out of the game? Not likely. It doesn't make sense for two reasons. First is lore. How can a profession, or a pursuit of study just dissapear? Sure, 250 years is a long time and Normandy knights came and went in that much time, so it's possible. But why would A-Net cut off a portion of their player base who like that profession? Some people played paragons first and loved them. Despite this, I personally think they should be "cut" from the sequel. 

So will all professions be gone? Not likely. Will they manifest themselves in another profession? Very likely. Remember, all attributes change something the way primary attributes did in GW1. Water magic heals, earth magic gives protection, etc. Here's my theory about how the professions will end up being broken down.

Warrior - Definitely in. Perhaps renamed and tweaked, but still in. Might take on more of the paragon skills.

Ranger - Most likely changed to absorb an assassin playstyle.

Monk - Highly debatable about whether this will even still be here. If it's in at all, I would be surprised to see as much healing potential as monks currently have.

Necromancer - Probably changed to absorb some ritualist playstyles.

Mesmer - This is one profession that is very unique to GW, and one they've been striving to perfect. I highly doubt it will be removed.

Ritualist - See Necromancer.

Assassin - See Ranger.

Dervish - Definitly gone. There are no scythes in GW2.

Paragon - A form of this profession probably still exists in the second "soldier" class. Perhaps it's something more like a Paladin but still there. Maybe even like a mace or hammer wielding full mail cleric. Definitely won't wield spears though.

I hate to call shots like this. Watch me be totally wrong. Still... Necro, Mesmer, and Ele would make up the three scholar classes. Warrior and a modified paragon are the two soldier classes. Then there are three "adventurer" classes. Ranger for sure. Hunter? Maybe the assassin isn't out? What are the warhorn and torch for? Hmm... Delicious speculation.

Gunner - Where else shall guns come from?

• slashbeastslashbeast Member Posts: 533

Should be a multiple choice poll. Voted Dervish.

My predictions:

No Dervish

No Paragon

No Ritualist

We might see some of these classes concepts merged into others, like the Necromancer might take some of the Ritualist abilities.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Originally posted by jdram14

I think their names will certainly be different, but that isn't to say that they will be removed from the game entirely. I would bet that there will still be some sort of profession that uses enchantments, like the dervish, or something that communes with the spirits, like the ritualist. However, keep in mind that not only are two professions going to be "removed". More than that for sure. We know there will be eight professions and that one of the new professions is going to be something that uses firearms. So lets assume there is a Gunner. It's a placeholder name, but one that works. This means another profession has to go as well.

Are they likely going to strip every profession out of the game? Not likely. It doesn't make sense for two reasons. First is lore. How can a profession, or a pursuit of study just dissapear? Sure, 250 years is a long time and Normandy knights came and went in that much time, so it's possible. But why would A-Net cut off a portion of their player base who like that profession? Some people played paragons first and loved them. Despite this, I personally think they should be "cut" from the sequel. 

So will all professions be gone? Not likely. Will they manifest themselves in another profession? Very likely. Remember, all attributes change something the way primary attributes did in GW1. Water magic heals, earth magic gives protection, etc. Here's my theory about how the professions will end up being broken down.

Warrior - Definitely in. Perhaps renamed and tweaked, but still in. Might take on more of the paragon skills.

Monk - Highly debatable about whether this will even still be here. If it's in at all, I would be surprised to see as much healing potential as monks currently have.

Mesmer - This is one profession that is very unique to GW, and one they've been striving to perfect. I highly doubt it will be removed.

Assassin - See Ranger.

Paragon - A form of this profession probably still exists in the second "soldier" class. Perhaps it's something more like a Paladin but still there. Maybe even like a mace or hammer wielding full mail cleric. Definitely won't wield spears though.

I hate to call shots like this. Watch me be totally wrong. Still... Necro, Mesmer, and Ele would make up the three scholar classes. Warrior and a modified paragon are the two soldier classes. Then there are three "adventurer" classes. Ranger for sure. Hunter? Maybe the assassin isn't out? What are the warhorn and torch for? Hmm... Delicious speculation.

Warrior - They said 2 melee classes perhaps like Templar and Gladiator arch types from AION.Defensive melee might get Paragon shouts skills

Ranger -  Assasin play style is unique. Ranger is more scout type

Monk -   Devs said one skill slot is dedicated healing based on profession. Also the new race Sylari are more of a healer and enchanter class.

Necromancer - Don’t know

Mesmer -  I agree this class is one of the best and this caster will make it in the final cut. Perhaps via Asura .They are experts in technology and mind   control

Ritualist - I think Cantha is cut off from rest of Tyria .That would explain their omission Perhaps re introduced in expansions

Assassin -  I think Cantha is cut off from rest of Tyria .That would explain their omission Perhaps re introduced in expansions

Dervish -   No Sycthes in GW2.

Gunner      I think its just a racial trait for the Charr.Also they said Melee could wield guns for ranged combat and switch to swords, hammers etc for closed combat.

More than that the Asura and Slyrai have weak bodies so they will be more caster types unlike the Norn and Charr who have build for more melee and tank types.

Humans most probably will excel in sword and shield .Shields don’t suit the Norn.

The question is that are the 8 profession open to all races or some professions restricted to some race other wise we have a combo of 40 mixed races profession.I think its unlikely that all 8 professions will be open to all races.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by sassoonss

The question is that are the 8 profession open to all races or some professions restricted to some race other wise we have a combo of 40 mixed races profession.I think its unlikely that all 8 professions will be open to all races.

All races can be all professions. No restrictions.

I think the dedicated healer is out. Necros stay. A Sylvari Necromancer is mentioned in the GW2 artbook.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Soldiers

Warrior

Knight/Templar

Adventurers

Ranger

Assassin

Engineer/Gunner

Scholars

Elementalist

Mesmer

Necromancer

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by sassoonss

Originally posted by jdram14
    Assassin - See Ranger.

Warrior - They said 2 melee classes perhaps like Templar and Gladiator arch types from AION.Defensive melee might get Paragon shouts skills

Ranger -  Assasin play style is unique. Ranger is more scout type

Monk -   Devs said one skill slot is dedicated healing based on profession. Also the new race Sylari are more of a healer and enchanter class.

Necromancer - Don’t know

Mesmer -  I agree this class is one of the best and this caster will make it in the final cut. Perhaps via Asura .They are experts in technology and mind   control

Ritualist - I think Cantha is cut off from rest of Tyria .That would explain their omission Perhaps re introduced in expansions

Assassin -  I think Cantha is cut off from rest of Tyria .That would explain their omission Perhaps re introduced in expansions

Dervish -   No Sycthes in GW2.

Gunner      I think its just a racial trait for the Charr.Also they said Melee could wield guns for ranged combat and switch to swords, hammers etc for closed combat.

More than that the Asura and Slyrai have weak bodies so they will be more caster types unlike the Norn and Charr who have build for more melee and tank types.

Humans most probably will excel in sword and shield .Shields don’t suit the Norn.

The Guild Wars 2 wiki states that all professions are open to all races.

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100

Looking in GW PVP builds, you can see that most of the best builds had some kind of healing skill used:

A ranger will be with trol+condition removal.

A support caster will be with several (according to the skill balance and FOTM builds): heal-party, draw conditions, hex removal, HOT, condition removal,...

Assasin will be with self healing.

A dervish with enhancemenets and enhancemenets healing.

A paragon with party healing and damage mitigation.

A warrior with healing signet.

All those had never made a dedicated healer redundent. They wont in GW2.

Sorry but a GW such game without a dedicated healer, will not work as a good PVP game.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I think for the Scholar archetype:

Elementalist - this we know but I also think some mesmer style abilities will be introduced in to this class
    Necromancer - Not hard to imagine some Ritualist type spirit skills
    Cleric - Fighter/support class, a fighting monk with protection type skills, maybe some larger heals and buffs/debuffs

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

We will know soon enough

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Nataku17Nataku17 Member UncommonPosts: 12

i'm thinking maybe

Scholar

Mesmer

Ele

Necro

Adventurer

Assassin

Ranger

Engineer or something like that

Soldier

Warrior

maybe paladin? or cleric would be an interesting idea

• NeopaganNeopagan Member Posts: 34

The devs did specifically state that there would be a 'few' new professions, so the definition of a few is usually accepted as 3 or more. I don't think they would want to get rid of many of the earlier classes. So you could speculate that there would be a maximum of 3 new professions. They have also said that there will not be a dedicated healer class, so my personal guesses would be along these lines: -

SCHOLAR

Elementalist (the only confirmed at present)

Mesmer (this is a must I think as it was such a popular class)

Summoner (a pet biased magic wielder I would guess probably a Necromancer/Ritualist hybrid)

ADVENTURER

Ranger (or some form of scout/marksman hybrid)

Assassin (more likely to be a rogue type than a backstabber)

Duelist (a light/medium warrior type)

SOLDIER

Warrior

Knight/Cleric (possibly a paladin - bear in mind times have moved on by 250 years, with the introduction of early firearms I think it likely to be a setting more resembling a mid/late medieval period and knights would be more of a disciplined fighter type with clerical leanings)

Meaning one new profession per class group (this makes sense) - this is speculation of course and my opinion. We shall see ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The angel of death has been abroad throughout the land; you may almost hear the beating of his wings.

House of Commons, 23 Feb. 1855

• dadantedadante Member Posts: 8

ithink temp are not coming ,just mi opinion cause gw2=2 meele wish is warrior(norn) and maybe a knight(human)

just saying..

• kjames423kjames423 Member Posts: 47

I think ritualist or paragon are gonna leave because they can easily be mixed into other classes with their support abilities. I would love to see dervish back because it was such an original class and they might bring back scythes because they were concentrating on an array of weapons because weapons add to skill slots.

Past: Can never go back to Wow.
    Present: Nothing interesting out.
    Future: Looking forward to GW2.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by dadante

ithink temp are not coming ,just mi opinion cause gw2=2 meele wish is warrior(norn) and maybe a knight(human)

just saying..

All races can play all classes

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

". They have also said that there will not be a dedicated healer class," Quote- Neopagan

Me: I thought this was still up for debate? It's just speculation at the moment

EDIT: Don't know why the post looks like that... sorry ^^

Originally posted by dubledub

. They have also said that there will not be a dedicated healer class,

They did not, thats only speculation on these boards...

Unless anyone provides a link to a developer interview that states this, we should all treat it as just speculation.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by dubledub

. They have also said that there will not be a dedicated healer class,

They did not, thats only speculation on these boards...

Unless anyone provides a link to a developer interview that states this, we should all treat it as just speculation.

look what they have said so far

1) No heroes companions

2) They removed secondary profession isntead they have put a dedicated healer skill slot for each class

3) More important .game approach si towards solo play and smaller teams.That does away for the need for dedicated healers

4) Public quests join u anywhere anytime.

the sylari might be most near to healing but they might have more buff, debuff , summoning skills rather than dedicated healing

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by SweetZoid

Soldiers

Warrior

Knight/Templar

Or something equivalent.

Adventurers

Ranger

Assassin

Engineer/Gunner ?

Scholars

Elementalist

Mesmer

Necromancer

I liked this list.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by dadante

just saying..

What?

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

Originally posted by Neopagan

The devs did specifically state that there would be a 'few' new professions, so the definition of a few is usually accepted as 3 or more...

I don't have a link on me, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure it's already been confirmed that six of the original professions will be making a return. Since there's only 8 professions, that leaves us with two new classes. To me, this makes the most sense, as six of the original classes fit into the pure playstyles players are familiar with in MMOs.

In my opinion, the classes will be along these lines:

Soldier:

Warrior

"Knight/Cleric/Paladin" (as everyone else suspects, some sort of melee "buffer" to replace the paragon)   

Adventurer:

Assassin

Ranger

"Engineer" (a pet and support type class) 

Scholar

Elementalist

Mesmer (combining both necromancer and mesmer)

"Ritualist" (at least in playstyle).

While I'm doubtful that we'll have a pure healing class this time around, I have a very strong feeling that we'll have classes that, if they wish to go into that route, be very effective as solely healers. I'd suspect that to be the ritualist, knight, and engineer class, giving one from each group. I'm highly doubtful that we'll keep both the mesmer and the necromancer, as they have extremely similar playstyles as hexers (the only real difference being necros focusing more on damage over time while mesmers focused more on "shutting down" and cancelling out other players). I feel, while not the ritualist per se in terms of identity or even name, the ritualist in terms of playstyle as the jack-of-all-trades will return.

Then again, the "ritualist" class may just be combined with the "engineer" as the jack-of-all-trades. They could very well go that route. However, at least to me, it seems smart to have two support classes, each focusing on different playstyles in that realm. If they are combined, however, then maybe there is room for a monk. It isn't entirely safe to cancel out the monk quite yet, as, the only possibly related confirmations given are that there'll be no companions and every class will have healing. In all fairness, every class had defensive and healing abilities in GW1 as well. They were effective, but not as effective as the monk's defensive and offensive abilities. And, while the monk had offensive abilities that were effective and got the job done, they weren't nearly as effective as, say, an assassin's offensive abilities.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• TrihfluTrihflu Member Posts: 97

Rather than saying what classes WONT get into Guild Wars 2, I'll start by saying what classes we will probably see.  I'd like to point out that there will be 8 classes in Guild Wars 2 at launch.  That means AT LEAST 2 classes from the original game will not make it.

Elementalist-  I don't think I need to justify this one, considering it's already been announced.

Warrior-  While they haven't officially announced it on their website, they mention it multiple times during their interviews.  I would be EXTREMELY surprised if we don't see the warrior, especially considering just about every (MMO)RPG ever created has this class.

Assassin-  This one isn't as guaranteed as the last two, but the Sylvari hero you see in the second trailer can be seen holding twin daggers every so often.  Also, they said daggers would be in the game.

Ranger-  Rangers are pretty common in (MMO)RPGs, so I would be surprised if the ranger didn't make it into the game.  The Norn hero from the second trailer uses a bow and is seen with a companion, much like how the ranger from the original Guild Wars functioned.   Lastly, I could be wrong, but they MIGHT have mentioned the ranger in one of the interviews.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

In an interview the guys back at ArenaNet said there will be 3 Scholar (caster) classes, 3 Adventurer (rogue-ish) classes and 2 Soldier classes.  Now if my list is correct, we'll have another 2 Scholar classes, another Adventurer class, and another Soldier class.  Here are some possibilities for the other 4 classes:

-Other Scholar Classes:

Dark Mage (Necromancer, Ritualist, etc.)

Arcane Mage (Mesmer;  a caster that does everything except elemental magic.)

Note:  Since the gods have left Tyria, I doubt there will be a priest class like the monk.  Especially since the Charr are hardcore atheists.

-Other Adventurer Class:

Engineer (I'm not too sure about this one, but with technology advancing in Tyria, who knows?)

A hybrid class (Something along the lines of WoW's shaman.  Perhaps we'll see a reincarnated version of the Dervish?)

-Other Soldier Class:

Berserker/ Barbarian (This isn't very likely, considering the Warrior is already fairly barbaric.)

Paladin/Paragon/Guardian (Essentially a knight in shining armor, with a smile so bright it can be seen from 4 miles away.)

Dark Knight (Basically the Paladin's goth twin.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

NOTES (Please Read!):

This is just my speculation, but I think There will be about 5 classes from the original Guild Wars in Guild Wars 2.

ArenaNet is trying to make each class as unique as possible, so we probably wont see something like a class called a Wizard and a class called a mage that only have a few differences between them.

Unless I've mentioned that ArenaNet specifically and clearly said something, it's speculation.

Many of the classes I've mentioned will probably have different names than the ones I've given them

To answer your question, I think the Monk and Dervish wont be in Guild Wars 2 (or be reincarnated as another class).  Some features of the Ritualist will likely be in Guild Wars 2 through some other class, but I doubt the actual Ritualist will be in Guild Wars 2.  I'm sure some other classes wont make it, but it's too hard to choose what they will be.

This statement is false.

THis is both based on what i think and what i hope for...

Elementalist

Necromancer/ritualist combo

Monk/Mesmer combo (Ultimate support class)

Ranger

Assasin

Offensive DPS class that uses offensive spells (insta cast shouts)

Warrior

Defensive Class that uses aura's and defensive spells to protect themselves and their group.

Espescially assasins and rangers will be trained in the use of technollogy for their survival. Guns can be used by rangers, warriors and assasins and maybe the 2 other mellee classes. But i don't think there will be a profession that is geared towards using technollogy because some races just have no feeling for technollogy at all...  So it will be an option for certain classes at best, and maybe only for certain races.....

When compared to GW1, the classes will be more generalist then specialist with the removing of subclasses from the game. For example the elementalist has 4 totally different elements to choose from and building your setup around a different element will change your function in a group dramatically.

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja Member UncommonPosts: 53

My favourite class in GW was the Ranger, so I would love to see something similar. If there are guns, then it seems likely. Instead of a dedicated healer (like the monk), a D&D-style cleric would be great - help teammates and bash the baddies' heads in. Nice. The Mesmer was great, too, so keeping that class or maybe combining that with an SS Necro into some sort of Hexer would be great, too. One more year to go....

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

I will cry if i can't be a dedicated healer :((((( Hopefully the weapon skills will be enough to get lots of healing/ mitigation skills

Otherwise i'll just be a mesmer with a million interupts :p Don't hurt my party!!

Originally posted by buden-ninja

My favourite class in GW was the Ranger, so I would love to see something similar. If there are guns, then it seems likely. Instead of a dedicated healer (like the monk), a D&D-style cleric would be great - help teammates and bash the baddies' heads in. Nice. The Mesmer was great, too, so keeping that class or maybe combining that with an SS Necro into some sort of Hexer would be great, too. One more year to go....

I think ranger is the class that hurts most by not having 2nd classes...  It was the juice of the ranger class...

Originally posted by Venomzer0

I will cry if i can't be a dedicated healer :((((( Hopefully the weapon skills will be enough to get lots of healing/ mitigation skills

Also a dedicated healers soloing abbility gets hurt a lot from not having 2nd classes.

Pesonally i still hope for healer classes, and not one of them but 2 of them to get things ballanced.

2 Tanks

2 Healers

4 DPS

If there are healers then this might be a good spread of classes... 

Tough healer classes might be less powerfull healers as in other games... But they might still bring a lot of healing to a party, but not only healing.  I don't think healers will be spamming healing spells. they must make themselves usefull inother ways to a party too (which is more fun in the end)