Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Season 1.1 Now Live; New C-Store Items Released

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Season One Update One aka Season 1.1 is now live. This latest update brings a new difficulty slider to the game, alongside harsher death penalties in the form of an "Injury System" for players participating in content on the advanced and elite difficulty settings, and new high end weaponry.

The update also includes a number of quality of life changes such as the ability to auto-fire weapons, freeing players up to focus on tactical positioning instead.

The C-Store inventory has also been expanded today, and now includes the Maelstrom, which is a cosmetic variant of the Dervish vessel, Pakleds as a playable Federation species, and two new carrier bridge packs for Klingon players.

Full update notes for Season 1.1 can be viewed here

Cryptic Studios and Atari have also released a new trailer featuring the "Deep Space Nine" fleet action, which you can view by clicking the above image or going here.

Comments

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

On the update... Gotta love paying Subs for them to develop cash shop items. Yay Subs Plus.. =P

On the video... ... ... ... Christ... Why are the Dominion and the Cardassians fighting together in a war with the Federation again? Did no one watch DS9? Did no one pick up on how the Cardassians were betrayed and basically sent out to be slaughtered by the Dominion? Or say the Cardassian revolution that seperated all ties to the Dominion? I mean maybe the Breen and the Dominion... Meh.. I hate to whip out on the lore but I've always felt that the whole galatic war thing never felt very Star Trek and this is just another example of how being Star Trek and following the Star Trek feel are secondary to making money.

• ThalariusThalarius Member Posts: 125

I was fooled as well. Taken in by the hype of this is Star Trek and it turns out it was crappy from the start.  Totally forgot they were out to make money on the lore and brand name of Star Trek and they fooled us all.  I left admist the massive nerfings and death in game which had a massive xp debt which made it impossible to PVP.

And the cash store is design with higher income players in mind. Those who lost thier jobs due to the recession or low income are out of luck. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

If you like paying a monthly sub for what is basically Guild Wars in space then feel free to give these guys your money.  This game is not really an MMO and you can visit the official forums and see all the hostility from the current users over how bad this game is.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

hehe I love it how I knew this will be just a shameless cash in of a game, I am proud that I am smart enough to see this from a mile off and never bothered to waste my money on it. Go me! :)

and even if it wasnt a cash in, game mechanics are still same old, same old dull nonsense but done much worse than in other mmorpgs...

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Talonsin

If you like paying a monthly sub for what is basically Guild Wars in space then feel free to give these guys your money.  This game is not really an MMO and you can visit the official forums and see all the hostility from the current users over how bad this game is.

Hey! Guild Wars is a great game! Don't you even start comparing some sh***y Star-Trek cash-in to it.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

They're going to need those Lifer priority server queues to deal with the stampede of players wanting to play a Pakled.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I love how now through three update articles I have read C store items have rivaled or even outnumbered free content.  And please all devs I'm going to wirte this in caps in hopes that you guys don't miss it.  YOU GUYS ARE NOT FOOLING ANYONE WITH THE CLICHE "OUR GAME TAKES PLACE IN A TIME OF WAR"  translates into we are either far too simple minded or too lazy to actually develop a game that you want to play based off the lore you love so here's another shoot em up.

My biggest fear is that the cash shops will keep this game afloat......

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Evry time we turn around more and more cash shops and now the virus spread over to wow with the my poney in the cash shop.

Ugg the futre of mmo's lets rob your wallet as much as possible.

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

1.  Why would anyone pay to play this utter garbage

2.  Why would anyone pay to play this utter garbage

3.  Why would anyone pay to play this utter garbage

It's a totally awful, rushed, shallow, kill everything that even thinks of moving, 20 x 20 lifeless planet pile of festering camel dung of a game.....an insult to mmo's....infact it's not an mmo at all, the instancing totally destroys any sense of massive.

Basically I don't like it.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by erictlewis

Evry time we turn around more and more cash shops and now the virus spread over to wow with the my poney in the cash shop.

Ugg the futre of mmo's lets rob your wallet as much as possible.

Make no mistake nothing Cryptic did had any influence on how Blizzard conducts it's business, that would be like thinking McDonalds is looking to Taco Johns for guidance.

I also think some (myself included) had the same type of thinking when I first heard of the idea of buying a game and then paying a monthly fee, once we opened the door for them to do it I think it's going to be too difficult for us to stop the flow because who determines how much is too much to ask?  If you asked me six months before SWG launch I would have told you the entire concept of paying a monthly was as ridiculous as peoples ideas on cash shops.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71

Eventually a game company will make a decent, worthwhile to play Star Trek game (I'm not even talking MMO). In the meantime..... waiting.......

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

what cracks me up is i just got an email saying "our first welcome back weekend", wow.. already? very short product lifecycle to have one of those already.. surely...

former players can find out what's new in game... of course that's just a task force and a couple of fleet actions... whoopie doo.

surprised it didn't say "come back, see how much stuff we've added that you need to PAY for"

jeez...

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"surprised it didn't say "come back, see how much stuff we've added that you need to PAY for"

jeez..."

Best comment in the thread, thank you for my morning laugh.  Scary how it embraces the actual reality.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Finally;) have been waiting for this. DS9 is my favorite.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Pakleds, the shortbus riders of the ST universe...for a small fee, of course.  What an appropriate choice for a race in Cryptic's sorry ass vision of Trek.

Didn't CO have a "Welcome back" weekend after just two months?  TBH I'm surprised they haven't had one for STO sooner...of course, not all that much has changed so there's not really much point.  Just shows how fast that game is tanking.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

To little way to late. And i see the MT store is getting a good bulk of what they should have added to flesh out the game. This game is just a money grab plain and simple.

• StormbowStormbow Member UncommonPosts: 201

Originally posted by Cristina1

hehe I love it how I knew this will be just a shameless cash in of a game, I am proud that I am smart enough to see this from a mile off and never bothered to waste my money on it. Go me! :)

and even if it wasnt a cash in, game mechanics are still same old, same old dull nonsense but done much worse than in other mmorpgs...

How would you know anything about the game mechanics if you didn't buy into the game's hype, buy the game, and play it?

I smell a liar.

Back on topic - I don't particularly like the idea of all the cash shop trash being added to the game, considering it's P2P.  But on the other hand, none of their P2P crap has ever been anything I was particularly interested in anyway, so it doesn't affect or really bother me much at all.  And as it's been said already, they've screwed up the game by not sticking to the established history and lore behind the game.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Stormbow

Originally posted by Cristina1

How would you know anything about the game mechanics if you didn't buy into the game's hype, buy the game, and play it?

I smell a liar.

Back on topic - I don't particularly like the idea of all the cash shop trash being added to the game, considering it's P2P.  But on the other hand, none of their P2P crap has ever been anything I was particularly interested in anyway, so it doesn't affect or really bother me much at all.  And as it's been said already, they've screwed up the game by not sticking to the established history and lore behind the game.

After playing STO to rear admiral 2, I can totally support what Cristina1 has to say.  STO is horrible, in my opinion .

There is only so many times I can play "Race to the Anomaly" which makes up their much hyped "genesis created exploration content".  It really gets old seeing the same maps over and over and over and over and over and over.   Sure.... some maps might have more or less asteroids than the last time you saw the map... woo hoo.

Combat in sto boils down to this.

Space Combat=spam space bar and win

Ground Combat= watch your away team pew pew and do unecessary rolls and win

Horrible game.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Kert

Eventually a game company will make a decent, worthwhile to play Star Trek game (I'm not even talking MMO). In the meantime..... waiting.......

My fear is that after this travesty, it will be harder for other developers to land the Star Trek license.

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by heartless

My fear is that after this travesty, it will be harder for other developers to land the Star Trek license.

I certainly don't think it will effect someone getting the license. But it seems so very odd that an IP with the kind of lore, back story, and an entire universe to pull content from, has never had a quality game built from it. Birth of the Federation was decent, but it was turn based strategy. It was also released over a decade ago.

I'm a big Star Trek fan, but all it took was 10 mins of reading and a quick look over the info Cryptic had released about this game to decide I didn't want to pay for it. I even got a closed beta invite (what little of it there was) that I didn't use because I knew it would be a waste of time.

Eventually someone will get a Star Trek game right. I just don't plan on holding my breath.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I certainly don't think it will effect someone getting the license. But it seems so very odd that an IP with the kind of lore, back story, and an entire universe to pull content from, has never had a quality game built from it. Birth of the Federation was decent, but it was turn based strategy. It was also released over a decade ago.

I'm a big Star Trek fan, but all it took was 10 mins of reading and a quick look over the info Cryptic had released about this game to decide I didn't want to pay for it. I even got a closed beta invite (what little of it there was) that I didn't use because I knew it would be a waste of time.

Eventually someone will get a Star Trek game right. I just don't plan on holding my breath.

Along with BotF, I thought Armada I was fairly good for its time. Aside from those, and maybe one or two others, the entire video/PC game useage of the ST license has been for shaet.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

It depends on whether or not the license holders care about the reputation of their IP. The way I see it, a bad game will inadvertently have a negative effect on the IP, no matter how popular that IP is.

STO did more harm then good to the Star Trek IP and license holders may be reluctant to risk even more damage by licensing out their IP again.

On the other hand, it may actually benefit the fans because, hopefully, the next developer who lands the license will be held to a much higher standards. Hopefully...