Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome Back Weekend and New Demo Play Feature

Comments

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

heres a thought, a lot of people myself included posted when they left that they would come back in 6 to 12 months when they left sto (i said i might come back in 6 months if i had heard things got better). maybe cryptic is doing this at 4 months to see what amount of those people might actually return if they continue in the direction they have (personally i have heard nothing that has been done that would make the game more interesting than it was when i left).

to me it would make sense for cryptic to "test the waters" before moving forward at this point. do they continue putting resources into a game that has a bad reputation thru word of mouth (if a decent amount return on this weekend) or do they start looking at cutting there loss's if theres no interest at all? or do they maybe look at moving in a different direction in the next few months if the stuff they have added in the first 4 months gets given a bad review by returning players?

to me after having thought about this, it seems to me like a marketing survey of sorts for cryptic.

what do you guys think?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by raistalin69

heres a thought, a lot of people myself included posted when they left that they would come back in 6 to 12 months when they left sto (i said i might come back in 6 months if i had heard things got better). maybe cryptic is doing this at 4 months to see what amount of those people might actually return if they continue in the direction they have (personally i have heard nothing that has been done that would make the game more interesting than it was when i left).

to me it would make sense for cryptic to "test the waters" before moving forward at this point. do they continue putting resources into a game that has a bad reputation thru word of mouth (if a decent amount return on this weekend) or do they start looking at cutting there loss's if theres no interest at all? or do they maybe look at moving in a different direction in the next few months if the stuff they have added in the first 4 months gets given a bad review by returning players?

to me after having thought about this, it seems to me like a marketing survey of sorts for cryptic.

what do you guys think?

Do you think they should refund each and every lifetime sub if they decide to "cut their losses"?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

What's this 4 months stuff? The game was released at the start of Feb. It's only been 3 months.

Anyway..

I foresee interviews with Zinc and Emmert within the next month or so where they lay more blame on the game's bad performance on the public.

"People should have supported us better!" kinds of things. You can just see that they came up with what they thought was this great plan of rushing games out and ripping people off, and now they're hopefully realizing that their little gravy train is already over. The next piece of unfinished junk they try and pass off as a mmo will be shunned by any sane people.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Hagonbok

What's this 4 months stuff? The game was released at the start of Feb. It's only been 3 months.

Anyway..

I foresee interviews with Zinc and Emmert within the next month or so where they lay more blame on the game's bad performance on the public.

"People should have supported us better!" kinds of things. You can just see that they came up with what they thought was this great plan of rushing games out and ripping people off, and now they're hopefully realizing that their little gravy train is already over. The next piece of unfinished junk they try and pass off as a mmo will be shunned by any sane people.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a fair number of people whose sanity is in question. Since Cryptic was low-balling subscription numbers to Atari from the start, would Atari let them get away with having another MMO with a small population (say 50,000 or so)? I'd be willing to bet they would be able to find enough subscribers for their next game to hit that mark.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• AttackoAttacko Member Posts: 40

Fact- Cryptic- give a free month play at  start, give a free weekend of play, give free stuff all over the place

Fact- Cryptic- Great art team.  they must be smart to have such a good art team

Fact- Cryptic- 2 years is all they needed to make an MMO.  one of the best on the market

Fact- Cryptic- Makes a game many play and enjoy.  Board people complaining?  make nothing for no one and then defend statements which are again- nothing

the evidence is clear- Cryptic- the superior hyper modern  developer of the new tommorrow

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Attacko

Fact- Cryptic- give a free month play at  start, give a free weekend of play, give free stuff all over the place

Fact- Cryptic- Great art team.  they must be smart to have such a good art team

Fact- Cryptic- 2 years is all they needed to make an MMO.  one of the best on the market

Fact- Cryptic- Makes a game many play and enjoy.  Board people complaining?  make nothing for no one and then defend statements which are again- nothing

the evidence is clear- Cryptic- the superior hyper modern  developer of the new tommorrow

Fact - Cryptic - releases games with very little content

Fact - Cryptic - likes to bleed players dry via monthly fees and cash shops at the same time

Fact - Cryptic - hasn't had a hit since City of Heroes (which improved greatly after Cryptic lost it BTW)

Fact - Cryptic - will not get another cent from me until they get their heads out of whatever dark place they've stuck them

- content- have player feedback to see what they want

set the gid- and a good grid it is- smart way to think

- the cryers for content are like the greek myth of the king that ate and ate and was never satisfied

immersion as content- pvp as content - added content as content -

Cryptic is being nice and not really defending themselves because it is like a man trying to  teach algebra to a 5 year old.

a man does not bicker and whine.  that is what board cry babies do

the evidence is clear

- content- have player feedback to see what they want

set the gid- and a good grid it is- smart way to think

- the cryers for content are like the greek myth of the king that ate and ate and was never satisfied

immersion as content- pvp as content - added content as content -

Cryptic is being nice and not really defending themselves because it is like a man trying to  teach algebra to a 5 year old.

a man does not bicker and whine.  that is what board cry babies do

the evidence is clear

- content- have player feedback to see what they want .... and then completely ignore them. That's what Cryptic does.  What's even stupider is that they also ignore the majority (those that tried the game and thought it crap).

- immersion as content- pvp as content - added content as content .... except there is no immersion in STO, what terrible PvP there is is crammed into 5 or 6 little instances that one has to go in over and over and over and over, and any new content added is just more repetition of the same ultra repetitive content that's already there.

Cryptic can't defend itself because they know they released a not-even-close to release state crappy mmo. All they have been able to say has been them making excuses. That and trying to get sympathetic ears to listen to their continued BS that essentially outlines a plan to have people pay for a pitiful shell of a game and monthly subscriptions for a year plus to beta test until there's something that resembles an actual mmo. But by then it won't be a mmo, because the population will be so small there'll be nothing massive about it. It's already at that state just three months after release.

The evidence is clear that CBS needs to step in and take the license out of Cryptic's inept and money grubbing with an inferior product little hands.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Sometimes I actually say to myself that I will try STO again... probably feb 2nd 2011.  A full year after its release.  Then I realise that nothing much will have changed in the game, except that there will be TONS of crap for me to choose from in the Cstore.  Oh... I'll also have access to a lifetime subcriber exclusive zone thats no longer exclusive to lifetime subscribers. 

Perhaps in a year their exploration content generated by their Genesis system will have more than 5  missions that share the same maps.... give or take a few hundered asteroids.  Perhaps the exploration content will equate to more than just... "rush to the anomoly before the other dude".

For all the little bits of content they have released, for all the things they have put into the game to date, it still seems to me that STO is way to small to portray the vastness of space, and lacks content to the extent that players will reach max level way to soon to make it worth another months resub. 

A free trial weekend that only lets you play the stupid tutorial missions is hardly going to make anyone sub to it. STO needs to offer  more.... way more for people to come back and pay money to play this game. Way more content, and way more gameplay features.  In my opinion anyway.

"  Cryptic can't defend itself because they know they released a not-even-close to release state crappy mmo. All they have been able to say has been them making excuses. That and trying to get sympathetic ears to listen to their continued BS that essentially outlines a plan to have people pay for a pitiful shell of a game and monthly subscriptions for a year plus to beta test until there's something that resembles an actual mmo. But by then it won't be a mmo, because the population will be so small there'll be nothing massive about it. It's already at that state just three months after release.

The evidence is clear that CBS needs to step in and take the license out of Cryptic's inept and money grubbing with an inferior product little hands."

Fact- Cryptic- young, dynamic, pure, pedestal, creative, pristine.  CBS? old, like a faulkner story- a decrepid southern plantation falling apart

Fact- Cryptic- start slow, unnoticed, orignal series? 3 year run- spawned an empire

Fact- Cryptic- realized that the best part of the shows visually were the ships attacking all over the place so they amped it up in this area and you have phaser beams and disruptor beams in green- admist torpedo shots- tightly rendered ships awash in painterly combat.  let the other fools hold a sword and shoot an AK 1 billion

Fact- Cryptic- Every show replayed, each movie made, each movie replayed- a short ad- eight hundred trillion new subscribers

- Cryptic- marketing masters of our time, and more moral then most as well especially critics that scream and complain and call names and swear.  Cryptic does not do that.  because they know that manners are something smart people invented to keep stupid people at bay

and the swearing stupid people have indeed left

the evidence is clear

"  Cryptic can't defend itself because they know they released a not-even-close to release state crappy mmo. All they have been able to say has been them making excuses. That and trying to get sympathetic ears to listen to their continued BS that essentially outlines a plan to have people pay for a pitiful shell of a game and monthly subscriptions for a year plus to beta test until there's something that resembles an actual mmo. But by then it won't be a mmo, because the population will be so small there'll be nothing massive about it. It's already at that state just three months after release.

The evidence is clear that CBS needs to step in and take the license out of Cryptic's inept and money grubbing with an inferior product little hands."

Fact- Cryptic- young, dynamic, pure, pedestal, creative, pristine.  CBS? old, like a faulkner story- an old southern plantation falling apart

Fact- Cryptic- start slow, unnoticed, orignal series? 3 year run- spawned an empire

Fact- Cryptic- realized that the best part of the shows visually were the ships attacking all over the place so they amped it up in this area and you have phaser beams and disruptor beams in green- admist torpedo shots- tightly rendered ships awash in painterly combat.  let the other fools hold a sword and shoot an AK 1 billion

Fact- Cryptic- Every show replayed, each movie made, each movie replayed- a short ad- eight hundred trillion new subscribers

- Cryptic- marketing masters of our time, and more moral then most as well especially critics that scream and complain and call names and swear.  Cryptic does not do that.  because they know that manners are something smart people invented to keep stupid people at bay

the evidence is clear

You seem to crack a pretty fast fanboy whip at anything that hints of any negativity, instead of discussing or offering constructive feedback of your own. Wheres your CDF fanclub card?

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Fact- Cryptic- young, dynamic, pure, pedestal, creative, pristine.  CBS? old, like a faulkner story- an old southern plantation falling apart

the evidence is clear

You seem to be resistant to any kind of opinion that contradicts your own.  Wheres your CDF fanclub card?

It's a troll or that Championsdude back under a new reg.

Fact- Cryptic- young, dynamic, pure, pedestal, creative, pristine.  CBS? old, like a faulkner story- a decrepid southern plantation falling apart

the evidence is clear

Fact- Cryptic- old, lethargic, corrupt, guttersnipe, repetitive, soiled.  CBS? Who really cares since we're talking about a mmo? Just get the license out of Cryptic's hands and into the hands of a developer that can develop a proper mmo based on Star Trek. Cryptic was handed one of the best IPs a developer could ask for and completely blew it. Blew it so bad they're actually now doing harm to the IP because they've turned so many people off of Star Trek after this debacle.

Fact- Cryptic- start slow, noticed by hundreds of thousands and recognized as offering a sub-standard product,

Fact- Cryptic- realized that the best part of the shows visually were the ships attacking all over the place so they amped it up in this area and you have phaser beams and disruptor beams in green- admist torpedo shots- tightly rendered ships awash in painterly combat, but neglected the rest of the game, the REAL important parts, and that's why people left in droves, and are still leaving.

Fact- Cryptic- Every show replayed, each movie made, each movie replayed- a short ad- eight hundred trillion new subscribers... that didn't bother to subscribe and all left as soon as they saw what a disaster STO was.

the evidence is clear- Cryptic- dishonest marketing masters of our time, and insidiously attempting to "socially engineer" their community because they know having everyone being of "good manner" (according to their definition) means everyone is essentially docile and complacent. That way they can keep slipping crap under everyone's nose and few will complain about the smell.

and as testament to just how bad the game is, even most of their "lifetimers" (those that bought lifetime subscriptions) have left, or are just still around to post on their forums and warn others to avoid wasting their time and money.

The evidence is clear, and getting clearer, that yet another Cryptic employee is desperately trying to help bail the water off the rapidly sinking ship.

Originally posted by Jounar

It's a troll or that Championsdude back under a new reg.

Probably.  While I cannot say that I have never made a post with a negative tone, most of the time I try and provide an explanation as to why I feel the way I do.  Im sick of people that just lash out with pure blind fanboyism.  I know this will always happen, especially in a forum such as this, but still.... I wish people would demonstrate they have some sort of brain in their head.

• HachiroHachiro Member Posts: 92

So let me guess anyone who has anything positive to say about the game is either member of CDF or is Cryptic employee? okieee...some very smart people posting here.

Heso o kamedomo oyobanu -- Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

lol

the mini minds with one sentence statements- adding nothing- saying nothing

so far- "troll, cryptic employee and fan boy"

lol

you guys like to call names in lieu of a brain- a good tactic i admit- if your stupider than the person you are aiming at

being called names on here - makes me feel like a jew with nazis calling me names- kinda glad i am on the side i am on-which in this case is a guy that plays the game- looked for a board - found this- made some comments, disagree wtih alot of the crticism- and am suspect if they ever played- or why they are here?

the evidence is clear

Hey there.  I would like to point you to the STO forums and direct your attention to the people that frequent those forums.  It is gauranteed that any kind of feedback that can be taken in any way as negative, will be dismissed as trollish, and will be ran out of the thread by fanboy whips.  You seem to enjoy ignoring the fact that the very thing you ctitisize us for... goes on with much more frequency over in your beloved games forum.

Originally posted by Hachiro

So let me guess anyone who has anything positive to say about the game is either member of CDF or is Cryptic employee? okieee...some very smart people posting here.

Well... if you dont want to be called a fanboy, then offer your opinion and discuss other people's points of view with an open mind, rather than hammering it down immediatly.  Then we can have a discussion, and not just this toxic back and forth.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Really, you are going to defend the guy that compares being "attacked" in a game forum with jews and nazis???

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• HachiroHachiro Member Posts: 92

Well... if you dont want to be called a fanboy, then offer your opinion and discuss other people's points of view with an open mind, rather than hammering it down immediatly.  Then we can have a discussion, and not just this toxic back and forth.

I read the entire topic and several others just to make sure before i post anything. And so far i see anyone who has something positive to say about the game or Crytpic being jumped on and called names. I am surprised if moderators even read this part of forums? way too much harassment and internet bullying going on over here.

As far as discussing with an open mind, it goes both ways.

Heso o kamedomo oyobanu -- Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

I read the entire topic and several others just to make sure before i post anything. And so far i see anyone who has something positive to say about the game or Crytpic being jumped on and called names. I am surprised if moderators even read this part of forums? way too much harassment and internet bullying going on over here.

Problem is if you look at the posts that people call out as 'fanboy' posts are really not offering an opinion but rather trying to pass off opinion as fact. And when called on to explain how they feel its a 'fact' they get defensive and start calling the people questioning them 'trolls'.

You are right though it does go both ways, and the people who want to make grand statements and call them fact need to also back up their reasons and show proof of said facts. Calling someone who calls them out a 'troll' is not backing up their argument but is instead a tactic used to derail the discussion and dismiss the poster.

It is used far too often on these forums as a sort of smoke screen to protect the person so they wont have to explain these 'facts'.

As for the OP: Yeah, to some people it can be a sign of desparation, offering a trial this early in the games life, but it is also a good idea as there are people out there who might actually like the game for what it is but have been on the fence about getting it due to the negative opinions the game has gotten.

I also recieved the email and while I don't really think of the game as a worthy MMO in my eyes, it was still fun for the month and a half that I played it.

Now if the game went to a model like what DDO has, I would probably play it again seeing as I wouldnt have to pay for it. Because to me, the game just isnt worth the monthly fee.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

Originally posted by Hachiro.

Man, if you have really read as much as you say you did all I can say is selective reading comprehension sure is a wonderful thing ain't it?

What I've seen here for two or three months is certain people coming in spouting the Cryptic line almost verbatim, and when they're called on the BS they're trying to spread, then everyone else is a destructive and negative troll. They realize they can't defend their position because they have no legs to stand on, and so desperately try to discredit those diagreeing with them via insults, and yes, trying to say everyone is being a bully.

• SurethSureth Member UncommonPosts: 69

Get back on topic please.

thats what i'm talk'n

Fact- Cryptic- a hefty patch- death penalty - injuries- ship damage- many changes- makes sense to offer this now

Fact- Cryptic- working hard on bugs and adding content and talking functional bridges and - watch- the players will soon swarm

- one review i read went something like -

"i like this game but i fear trek fans will want it more trek and mmo'rs will want more mmo type things"

the evidence is clear

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

thats what i'm talk'n

Fact- Cryptic- a hefty patch- death penalty - injuries- ship damage- many changes- makes sense to offer this now

i hope its a hefty patch, sto needs a years worth of hefty patch unfortunately. and ive read the patch notes, they didnt fix what most people complained about int he first place, no crafting, no exploring and game is shallow.

Fact- Cryptic- working hard on bugs and adding content and talking functional bridges and - watch- the players will soon swarm

they better be working har if they want to avoid chptr 11. players will soon swarm? im gusseing i could make a lot of money in vegas betting against that

i read a lot of reviews (about 15)

"i like this game but i fear trek fans will want it more trek and mmo'rs will want more mmo type things"

all of them said klingons were not finished (they still arent) theres no crafting(there still isnt) the ground combat is bad the game is shallow and inclopmplete overall.

the evidence is clear

hmm well maybe im just one of those people who "just doesnt get it"

and guys hes not cdf.... why would a cdf come here and pretty much beg to have all the problems with the game brought up again, and have it pointed out that they havent fixed any of the major ones that made a lot of people quit?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209

thats what i'm talk'n

the evidence is clear

Ok man.

This last patch brought on more bugs than anything it brought to the table. There has been far more C store content than actual free content going into the game. The simple fact that three months post launch there is a welcome back weekend speaks volumes and makes your so called statments of fact impotent.

You bring no true facts to the discussion, just the same old "it will get better" company line thats been hammered home since launch by the stout cryptic defenders. The game is not better. Its losing subscribers...still.   People like you will spin this all the way til the end. There are people on SWG forums spewing the same rhetoric still to this day. People said the same thing about Hellgate, Tabula Rasa etc. If you enjoy the game, more power to you, but all your hyperbolic fanboy chanting doesnt change anything as far as mainstream sentiment towards this game.  You do Cryptic no favors my friend, if you truley wanted the game to succeed, you would push them towards really making changes and content the game sorely needs. Instead you pat them on the back and defend them blindly on the forums. Players like yourself to far more harm to the game and the industry as a whole then any body could ever do by coming on this forum and posting negative threads.