Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP in guild wars

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Eric Flannum: We basically divided our PVE and our PvP… well, our PVP is divided into two sections. Firstly, we have what we refer to as our “competitive PvP” which all players can go into. You don’t make a PvP character. You just take your character to a place in the mists – which is our space between worlds – and when you’re in there, you have everything unlocked. You have all the skills, you’re max level, you have a set of equipment every player has access to. They’re on equal footing. And then it works how it would on a server based first-person shooter, where you browse for a game and then play. There’s no unlocking. We’re having automated tournaments and things like that. There’s a couple of ways to play that, but it’s all completely on an even foot.

Secondly, we have world versus world – which is what would be called servers or a shards in another game. That’s more if you want to think of it as an open world PvP, where levels matter and you can have unequal fights like 5 on 1 or 3 on 2 – or even 100 on 50. That’s where we have our epic castle sieges and that kind of thing. In both of those types of PvP, they’re separate from each other and separate from the PvE, but you have the same character you take between them.

The mists will be comparable to how PvP action currently works in GW... Arena style and BG's

I am more interested in the 2nd part, world versus world PvP,

I guess/hope that the PvP in these zones will be a Mix between DAoC, Aion and old style Alterac vally(quests to get NPC assistance) and hopefully you can use your henchman to guard them castles if ytou could put them to guard duty overthere.   Most important is that there should be more then 2 shards involved in such a war... I am done with all the simple good versus evil battles. i want battles where more then two sides fight eachother. That was the true strength of DAoC...

If they can give people a reason beyound just mindlessly killing to go to these World versus world PvP zones, if they set goals to acheive in these zones then it will be awesome.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

It has been confirmed that World vs World pvp will consist of three worlds in each match. Each world will start out with holding a zone and then there will be a middle neutral zone. There will be many resources to fight over and each match will last for a week before a winner is declared. You can spend all youre time in WvW pvp and level up here, no need for PvE if that's what you want. So all this sound good to me on paper.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

That sounds good...  Very Guild Wars 1 like.  Which I don't totally get...  I think the immersion quality would be much higher if World vs World was mixed into the same areas as PvE and PvP arenas.  That way we feel like we are in a real world.  This is more like GW1, click the ship and then click 'PvP Islands' or 'PvE Story 1', 'PvE Story 2', 'PvE Story 3'.  I don't get why they do that.  I guess they want to make it more simple to say 'this is how the game worlds, flat out, simple.'

They are not so much trying to create a virtual world to live in but instead to create a quality video game that can be played casually.  But like I said before, that is what GW is about and I shouldnt expect anything different, its just sad because I love GW and I feel like it could be so much better if they made it more immersive.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Yeah it would be cool if these matches were taking place in the same lands where we PvE, but since its one server against another thats not really practical. Then these matches should consist of players on the same world and then they would have to create factions among the players, so they would have to do some things differently. In this game all players are on the same side in PvE lands.

• JoePesciJoePesci Member Posts: 12

Where can I kill other players AGAINST their will, like it is possible on WoW PvP servers?

Is this possible in this game, or are they completely immune to my attacks unless they enter those competitive PvP areas?

As far as I understood it, there is no possibility to PK other players. This would be an odd feeling, to play in a world where other players are immune to any sort of PvP attack.

Please tell me that it's not like that...

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Originally posted by JoePesci

Where can I kill other players AGAINST their will, like it is possible on WoW PvP servers?

Is this possible in this game, or are they completely immune to my attacks unless they enter those competitive PvP areas?

As far as I understood it, there is no possibility to PK other players. This would be an odd feeling, to play in a world where other players are immune to any sort of PvP attack.

GW2 will not have PK in the PvE zones. Sorry no griefing or camping lowbies for you. But the good news is a game is available that will let you do that until your hearts content. Its called Darkfall and the forums are that way ----->

• steelrain666steelrain666 Member UncommonPosts: 140

Originally posted by JoePesci

Yep, its exactly like that and Im glad that I don't have ass hats attacking me while Im trying to have fun for acouple hours. Thats why they have different areas for PvP and PvE so that people can do what they want on their time and not get PK'd when they just want to chill and do some quests or whatever...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Seems WvW PvP will be an improved version of DAoC RvR... there will be 3 servers battling it out, and every week you get a new pairing against other servers.

Tough ther are some things that where very vital for DAoC RvR wich is still the best PvP system (personal opinion) around.

- Realmpoints.

- PvE gains (Access to darkness falls, realmbonusses for whole server)

Things like gaining access to darkness falls where a great addition to the short time goals needed for atractive PvP.

Also the realmpoints system was very important, it gave every player a personal reason to join RvR and personal gain.

Now these things don't need to be implemented at release, but they are still great ideas for any game with RvR (WvW).  If people keep complaining about the loss of 2nd class it could be used to let players choose cross class skills (only selected ones and not all) or they could be used to replace the henchman system.. the more realmpoints one has the more/stronger henchman one could use in WvW (only) settings. These henchman could be used to guard certain places on the map, like towns and castles... pretty cool to know that your henchies are defending a keep, while you are busy with other stuff.  Next to that these henchman would be availble to guard your own personal belongings at your personal home (when not on guard duty)

Another important thing for DAoC RvR was that characters that died and did not get ressed where removed from the battle as they ressed far away at the entrance to the RvR area's, where the RvR game started all over again. New army, new goals, and such where set.

I am pretty enthousiast over this part of the game.... It might finally be a fun RvR game. Next to that i hope that over time there will be added more settings for this WvW endgame, settings in different area's and hopefully a setting where 5 servers would be occupied in the fighting... Not only server pairings changing every weak, but also the area would/could be different

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AchrisosAchrisos Member UncommonPosts: 54

Even though i love to PvP, most of the real PvP in GW1 required a dedicated guild so i have high hopes that in GW2 i will be able to PvP more casually in something other than Arenas and Shrine capturing.