Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Worst Community Ever

MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Another complain about the complainers thread. I like how the OP get's stomped for it! Some other new guy comes in and adds such a demeaning comment and then is put in his place. Epic!

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=154309

Comments

  • SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,185

    Forums maybe, but AoC I heard all about bad community and players. Both games, STO and AoC I've had a postive experience in game. What goes on in the forums is different in game, in my opinion. AoC once you turn off general chat find a good guild the game is a lot of fun.

    In STO the general chat has been pretty good and helpful.  A few asshats will chime in here and there but from my experience in past MMOs they are always there.

    .. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

    --------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

  • SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

    Sorry but Halo still holds the record for worst game community, both in game and on the forums. Visit the bungie.net forums and you can actually feel your IQ dropping steadily. In game you can expect a near constant barrage of racism, homophobia and anti-semetism by 12 year olds who have no idea what they are talking about yet think it's somehow cool to be a colossal bigot.

    Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

  • MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

    The ingame community was good with many helpful people. The only incident I ran across was during the OB event after announcing I wasn't impressed. I was told to eat $&^& and die.

  • ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

    Ingame community is awesome considering that a lot of players who play on daily basis do not even visit forums.

  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

    I'd have to agree.STO has the worst community I'v eencountered in an MMO with CO only marginally behind,of course in both games you can just ingore the whole community as there is no real need to group or trade at all.

  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,061

    I never experienced anything bad from the community in the time I played it. Most everyone was helpful and were a joy to play with. The boards were a different story, but they aren't representative of the games community.

    The worst MMO community for me is stil SWG, both in game and on the forums. I've never met a bigger group of exploiters and elitists in my entire gaming life as I did in the game. At least that is how it was on Corbantis.

    Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

  • TelothynusTelothynus Member UncommonPosts: 19

    Originally posted by Sevenwind

    Forums maybe, but AoC I heard all about bad community and players. Both games, STO and AoC I've had a postive experience in game. What goes on in the forums is different in game, in my opinion. AoC once you turn off general chat find a good guild the game is a lot of fun.

    In STO the general chat has been pretty good and helpful.  A few asshats will chime in here and there but from my experience in past MMOs they are always there.

    I agree, although I do not like nor play the game anymore.  The community in this game I personally didn't come across any more nor less 'jerks' than I have in any other community.  People were generally helpful in the general zone channel.  

    What is actually lacking is any real community cohesion or group working.  But obviously you can't blame that on the community.  The reasons for that have been discussed numerous times in other posts, and I will not repeat them here.

    Old School SWG - "I paid you 1,000,000 credits not for you to slice my Krayt weapon for me... I paid you 1,000,000 credits to give it BACK to me."

  • DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

    Originally posted by Sevenwind

    Forums maybe, but AoC I heard all about bad community and players. Both games, STO and AoC I've had a postive experience in game. What goes on in the forums is different in game, in my opinion. AoC once you turn off general chat find a good guild the game is a lot of fun.

    In STO the general chat has been pretty good and helpful.  A few asshats will chime in here and there but from my experience in past MMOs they are always there.

     For AoC while the general chat resembled most other MMOs, and the forums got quite toxic, the community depended on which server you were on; Cimmeria was bad, while Wiccana had a great community. To be fair, it's like that in most games. Well, not the single server ones due to obvious reasons; in those you are pretty much stuck with whatvere community is there.

    "Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    found the community very helpful in game when i played, you had to be because most of the game didnt work. which leads to the forums.... which is a horrible place (very entertaining though). most of the discord on teh boards from what i saw was either directed ar cryptic/atari and there employees, or the lts attacking people for being honest about how lousy things were in game. id gladly go back next weekend to see if i can post on there forums, but i wont even download the client to see whats happened in the game.(ive seen the posts from cryptic themselves and they havent even mentioned most of the things that made me quit, doubt there going to fix them before they move on to another game) sto's forums are hilarious, but the games......whats  a word for worse than horrible.

     

    as ive said on many posts here... the only real pvp in sto happens on there forums, and its way more entertaining than the game.

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

    Personally I find that WoW community, in and out of game, the worst I have encountered..  The reasons have been well documented and explained by hundreds of others over the years.. Tis a shame too.. but a classroom is only as roudy as the teacher will let them.. So which is more important,  dealing with obnoxious people, or watching good MMO players leave the game?  It's all about the almighty $ , and I think we know which parth Blizzard  (the teacher) follows..

  • gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

    Originally posted by Drakynn

    I'd have to agree.STO has the worst community I'v eencountered in an MMO with CO only marginally behind,of course in both games you can just ingore the whole community as there is no real need to group or trade at all.

    I am not going to refer to STO since I haven't played but CO community has settled pretty nicely. I think most of the conflicting people went to STO or quit altogether. Nowadays, CO forums are pretty constructive, people gets answers to their questions and the amount of trolling and flames has been reduced to marginal levels. I would compare it to CoH community with the difference that CoH community is more consolidated and there are more in-game tools to foster it. 

    Wow community is probably one of the worst I have seen if not the worse, I highly doubt that STO community can be any worse

  • BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

    Originally posted by Shastra

    Originally posted by Rydeson

    Personally I find that WoW community, in and out of game, the worst I have encountered..  The reasons have been well documented and explained by hundreds of others over the years.. Tis a shame too.. but a classroom is only as roudy as the teacher will let them.. So which is more important,  dealing with obnoxious people, or watching good MMO players leave the game?  It's all about the almighty $ , and I think we know which parth Blizzard  (the teacher) follows..

    Your obesession with WOW and Blizzard is disturbing. You might just get 'i hate WOW' tattoo on forehead.

    Misspoke did not realize you were the ranking cdf on these forums.

  • ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

    Originally posted by Betaboo

    Originally posted by Shastra


    Originally posted by Rydeson

    Personally I find that WoW community, in and out of game, the worst I have encountered..  The reasons have been well documented and explained by hundreds of others over the years.. Tis a shame too.. but a classroom is only as roudy as the teacher will let them.. So which is more important,  dealing with obnoxious people, or watching good MMO players leave the game?  It's all about the almighty $ , and I think we know which parth Blizzard  (the teacher) follows..

    Your obesession with WOW and Blizzard is disturbing. You might just get 'i hate WOW' tattoo on forehead.

    The CDF try everything and everything to derail threads that do not fit into their game view.  If you cant argue on merits then slander the hell out of everything and everything to change the course of the conversation.

    Wtf is CDF? and how the hell can i derail the topic? it was derailed the moment someone mentioned WOW on STO forums. You need to read carefully or understand what derailing the topic means/

    i can call you troll and what not but i won't stoop to your level.

  • brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

    the game sucks. period.

  • The forums are the best part of the game, so you better appreciate the "bad" forum community :).

  • DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

    Originally posted by Shastra

     

    Wtf is CDF? and how the hell can i derail the topic? it was derailed the moment someone mentioned WOW on STO forums. You need to read carefully or understand what derailing the topic means/

    i can call you troll and what not but i won't stoop to your level.

     To answer your first question, the CDF stands for the Cryptic Defense Force. It refers to people who so fervently favor Cryptic that they will even rabidly attack posts that offer constructive ideas, if the CDF even think the post is even slightly critical of Cryptic.

    "Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

    Looks like there are members of the WDF too.. LOL

  • VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

    You never played on the pvp servers in Conan.

  • CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

    Meh... I wouldnt call the STO forums the "community", as only the same troll slaying opinion critisizing fanboys frequent the STO forums these days it seems.  I would call it Club CDF.   I wouldnt say its the worst community ever though.  Im finding the Star Craft 2 forums very amusing to read, as there is MUCH negativity and poo flinging going on there.  It was probably this way for a long time, but its even worse now.  Its fun to read.

  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

    I haven't really noticed a community ingame. 

     

    But if they are talking outside the game, they are either new to mmo's or being disingenuous.  Because I have seen much, much worse.  And outside of gaming forums, the comments on youtube and foxnews are much worse.

  • CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

    Originally posted by Terranah

    I haven't really noticed a community ingame. 

     

    But if they are talking outside the game, they are either new to mmo's or being disingenuous.  Because I have seen much, much worse.  And outside of gaming forums, the comments on youtube and foxnews are much worse.

     Good lord, aint that the truth.  I make it a point to not read comments on youtube cause, well.... I think you know why.

  • CinduatCinduat Member Posts: 83

    Originally posted by Spiderpope

    Sorry but Halo still holds the record for worst game community, both in game and on the forums. Visit the bungie.net forums and you can actually feel your IQ dropping steadily. In game you can expect a near constant barrage of racism, homophobia and anti-semetism by 12 year olds who have no idea what they are talking about yet think it's somehow cool to be a colossal bigot.

    Ow... ow... ow...

    It is my opinion, that your opinion is incorrect.

  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

    GTA4 online play is rife with negativity as well.  Sometimes I get tired of listening to it.  Other times it is as entertaining as the game itself.

  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

    Here is a perfect SATIRE example of a bad community

    http://www.wowwiki.com/Equipment_Potency_EquivalencE_Number

     

    When the devs admit to and joke about a community issue should be noitice you have a problem :)  I will say the best community that I 've experienced to date is LoTRO :)  BTW.. how many noticed the acronym of EPEEN.. and do you know that that actually means?  lmaoooo

  • HachiroHachiro Member Posts: 92

    Don't think anyone can beat community of Eve Online. Also forums are bad way to judge in game community. Not all those who play post on forums.

    Heso o kamedomo oyobanu -- Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Sign In or Register to comment.