Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Phenom II x6

fourleaffourleaf Member Posts: 16

A new chip hits the shelves gentlemen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

I was considering an intel build,  now I dont think I can justify the extra cost.  AMD releases this at 300 on newegg.  I use my PC only for gaming.  I think the AMD build is for me.   

What do you techies think about this performance of this thing vs the latest intel offering for 1000 dollars?  How do you guys feel about AMD's lack of hyper threading technology?

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I also was concedering a I7 build but not now ty for the post.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by fourleaf

A new chip hits the shelves gentlemen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

I was considering an intel build,  now I dont think I can justify the extra cost.  AMD releases this at 300 on newegg.  I use my PC only for gaming.  I think the AMD build is for me.   

What do you techies think about this performance of this thing vs the latest intel offering for 1000 dollars?  How do you guys feel about AMD's lack of hyper threading technology?

Im let down by it to be honest.  Its a great cpu for many things, but for gaming there are better options.  The intel i7 930 for instance, and in certain situations the i5 750. 

Ive been waiting for a long time for this chip to come out and put my build on hold until I see some solid benchmarks.  I think im still trying to convince myself that within the next few months the 1090t will rise up and be considered the optimum $300 and under gaming CPU.  However, I dont think this is going to happen.

I will say, if you actually do processing that utilizes multiple threads like heavy rendering, video compilations etc. the 1090t is about as good as it gets.  From a gamers perspective, there are better options.

This is a very convincing article, very thorough

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Unless you do 24/7 video editing or rendering, hexacore is essentially useless. No game will even come close to utilizing all of these cores.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

biggest x4 is enough unless you plan to live stream directly on you screen 3 other player while your playing videogame

i would focus on the motherboard and all the rest!

true intel is very pricey and cannot be justied price wise.

and the speed diif is minimal(for now)since intel is going at it with max speed max versatility it might sound silly 

but if you upload lot of youtube or livestream on xfire intel will be better but not enough to justify their cost

• ZorkenZorken Member UncommonPosts: 54

x6 is not really worth it for gaming even if you plan for the future. by the time games really need x6 there will be much better ones and cheaper budget ones thats better then todays x6.

Benjamin Franklin wrote the best quote to use for MMOs in development.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Just so you all know there is no operating system that even supports 6 core processors so there it is for ya.

Considering Windows 7 is pretty much new you will have to wait until an O/S is released that will support 6 core processors and that's gonna be a few years or more.

• fourleaffourleaf Member Posts: 16

It is true that no game will use 6 core.  AMD has Turbo technology which basically shuts down the other cores and uses the energy on raising the clock speed of the cores being utilized by the application.  The 3.2 x6 then comes a 3.6x2 (generic example)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The processor makes very little difference on the outcome of gaming.  The only games that truly push the processor are RTS and MMORPGs.  Total War and RTS are converting onto the multi-core bandwagon.  Total War for instance is optimized for 12 cores.  As technology progresses more games will start adopting an n-core design with a thread scheduler.  Video Cards have already converted to multi-core processors.  The gaming industry really can't stop the widespread adaption of an n-core design as processor speed is peaked and more cores is the best solution to get more processing power.  With DX11 n-core supported games should be alot more widespread.

As far as value, the Phenom II x6 is an incredible one.  The 1050T model was selling for $150 at tigersdirect for about an hour before they were out of stock.  But I don't think you should get this at the moment.  Phenom and Phenom II were major milestones for AMD.  The Istanbul architecture was more of a segway and was meant more for servers.  I think the thing to wait for with AMD is the Fuzion processors that should start to be making news at the end of this year.

• xKrNMBoYxxKrNMBoYx Member Posts: 165

haha your right...i checked for the cpu the day it came out and it Tiger Direct kept saying "this item is not available"

But guess what..its available now..and I ordered one and its not out of stock currently..so if someone is going to get one..now is the time for $149.99 cheaper than Phenom II X4 965.

I'm going from a am2 Athlon 64 X2 6400+ to a Phenom II X6 1055T...im so happy...but now i have to think about the dell mini 10v (1011) + mac os x snow leopard = awesome

.:edit:.

too late they're out of stock now!!!!

• therock3000therock3000 Member UncommonPosts: 48

This isnt the big deal. What everyone is talking bout is AMD Fusion. We been awaiting this since 06 or 07. Since its coming out next year. Save your money, cuz this is the real deal. Computers tend to get outtdated quickly. Really, a year isnt far from now. In any case, this new cpu is impressive for their price! I bet if we wait until black friday after thanksgiving, we'll be seeing a lot of these on sale, as they are making more efficient II X6.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

Just so you all know there is no operating system that even supports 6 core processors so there it is for ya.

Considering Windows 7 is pretty much new you will have to wait until an O/S is released that will support 6 core processors and that's gonna be a few years or more.

I saw a lot of stupid things but this gets crown , If you dont know what you are talking about close your mouth.

@therock ; Fusion =cpu + graphic in same package ,it is not the big thing for  amd .Bulldozer is the big thing (new cpu architecture )

What is everybody forgetting is you can get a 1055T put it on your old motherboard and get good performance (even more if you oc it) without breaking bank .Did i say new bulldozer chips will be socket AM3 compatible , good luck with intel they are moving to socket 1155 for 2/4 core cpus and socket 2011 for 6core cpus at 2011 .image

i got a x2 550 its not the fastest but it still high enough to be ranked when test come so why would i upgrade

i checked the number versus the x4 max and i got so teh diff is so low you better off taking a x2 550 be like i have and oc it to say 10 % i adjusted mine to same speed as the new x6 (meaning 16x instead of 15.50)and now im at 3.2 same speed as the new proc

i dont say it will be useless in the futur but for now its irelevent!

remember to take advantage of lot of core be it on proc or graphic card you need dx11 (forget tessalation)

no dx11 means these 6 core will only be usefull in turbo mode but why do i need turbo mode my game mainly use graphic card!

when dx11 without tessalation is used a lot then i will need to upgrade to x4 or maybe even x6 !but now?hell no!

i have yet to maxload my x2 with the current newest app!and most of the issue we gamer get is bad bios memory setting

since i and most dont know how to set those we are at the mercy of bios maker who dont give a"/$?%&*$ about optimising these setting!

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

If you're looking for a gaming-rig, then this CPU won't be the best option.

Games so far do not make any good use of multiple cores, so basically a dual-core is allready enough.

Looking at how a multi-coe CPU works is where it get's interesting.

A multicore-cpu that has a TDP of 100 Watts spreads those 100 Watts evenly between all cores, if all cores are needed. If only one core is used, then more power get's shifted to a single core and you have the boost-effect.
    This get's interesting, when you look at overclocking your CPU to get an edge out of it, as you can OC more, if you've got less cores.
    Less cores means, that the heat produced by your CPU is spread over a larger area and therefore easier to handle, while more cores reduce the area.
    The better you can handle the heat, the more you can increase the clockspeeds by adding more current, increasing the TDP.

So with this in mind, the best bang for the buck you'll get is by purchasing an AMD Athlon II X2 250 and OC it to a stable 3.5GHz, which is still managable with good aircooling, like a TRUE-120-cooler or the like.
    You won't find anything as competitive if you include the price into the equasion.

Just to throw in some techtalk.

saw sojme test jr and you are right one big bonus the one you mention is made from tthe ground up to be a dual core so its a very stable but i have yet to see a black edition!

• pdabb38pdabb38 Member Posts: 43

I've always been an AMD supporter. However I always had a headache with my AMD rigs. I now have a core 2 duo and an intel board and haven't had any tech issues or headaches with it.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Honestly, it seems like the X6s are erally made more for people with uses other than gaming in mind. For the $150 that an X6 1055T costs, I think most games would benefit far more from the 400mhz clock speed jump to a 955 Black Edition (2.8->3.2), not to mention the better overclockability from the unlocked multiplier, proper cooling provided.

It seems to me that AMD is really just rounding off the choices available on the AM3 platform, which I'm guessing is going to be replaced when the new Bulldozer chips arrive -hopefully early- next year.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Catamount
    Honestly, it seems like the X6s are erally made more for people with uses other than gaming in mind. For the $150 that an X6 1055T costs, I think most games would benefit far more from the 400mhz clock speed jump to a 955 Black Edition (2.8->3.2), not to mention the better overclockability from the unlocked multiplier, proper cooling provided.
    It seems to me that AMD is really just rounding off the choices available on the AM3 platform, which I'm guessing is going to be replaced when the new Bulldozer chips arrive -hopefully early- next year.

That's exactly what I was referrign to, with my little techtalk above.

Aslong as there's not anything fundametally new introduced like new architectures and instruction sets, it's basically all about clockspeeds, power-efficiency and TDP.

And I haven't seen too much enduser-software so far, that makes any good use of multi-threading, nesides some video-encoding-stuff.

most game arent optimised to take advantage of all that paralell processing ang graphic paralel power made avail

so until the game do use all that paralel power no use having something if a p4 end up faster then todays proc because game are still optimised for p4 design!

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

id say go i5.  with current and near-term games, you wont see a difference on results against an i7 (either version).  It is easy to overclock as well if needbe in the future (3.8 is common on 20$ heatsink).  Most games currently do *not* utilize quad core processing, let alone more.  Hardware is advancing much faster than software companies currently, so personally I think it'd be a waste to go the latest tech route.  Many games are not proccesor-heavy, as well.  Get a dx11 vid card, 4+ ram, quad proc., and ssd hd, and you'll be smoking any game.