Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's just taking Baby steps

From my perspective videogames only started to exist since the 80's, from the creation of the original Nintendo and upward. The processing power of the NES enabled video games to very lightly be art and experience of virtual worlds, even though it was in a very infant state.

I consider videogames to be art, and a fusion of art and hands-on experience of virtuals worlds, which makes for a very interesting and powerful platform. Most forms of art ( Such as drawing, painting, sculpting ) have taken hundreds and even thousands of years to properly evolve and find the ''sweet spot'' for the creation of masterpieces and very intriguing, phenomenal creations.

So with that being said, from my viewpoint, videogames are still an infant, they are just getting started, learning to draw their first pictures, creating stories, and functioning properly. Now you may say that videogames are currently great, and of course I would agree with you, just like an infant, there are lovable aspects of an infant, but just like an infant, they have only merely begun to start growing and doing more advanced functions.

So to get to the butter of this thread, videogames have only just begun, only recently have they begun to take their first steps into a world wide audience.

Comments

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by He-ManVS

From my perspective videogames only started to exist since the 80's, from the creation of the original Nintendo and upward. The processing power of the NES enabled video games to very lightly be art and experience of virtual worlds, even though it was in a very infant state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

You sould probably add a bit of RPG history on your considerations.  More important because you are on a RPG site (MMORPG.com). 

• He-ManVSHe-ManVS Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Teiman

From my perspective videogames only started to exist since the 80's, from the creation of the original Nintendo and upward. The processing power of the NES enabled video games to very lightly be art and experience of virtual worlds, even though it was in a very infant state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

You sould probably add a bit of RPG history on your considerations.  More important because you are on a RPG site (MMORPG.com). 

I consider those games so primitive in design that they are what I would call the egg shell state. Sure, they are a part of the lineage of RPG's, but in terms of impacting me or having substantial imprint on my gaming presence, they were somewhat non-existant.

Yes, there was a lot of good PC RPG's / Adventure RPG's from the 80's and early 90s, maybe those games you mentioned had impact on the gaming industry, but as for me, no.

• ButtermilchButtermilch Member Posts: 208

I don't think they are in an infant state.

Keep in mind, that there are games out there already which cannot be played by a large base of people, just because these people are too stupid to play them properly. Games are for easy entertainment, so the allowed complexicity is pretty much limited.

I don't think it will get much further. Only thing I can imagine is to replicate reality, allowing you to do all the things ingame that you have already learned in reality (for instance some brain-connector that really puts YOU into the virtual world).

• AnciegherAnciegher Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by Buttermilch

Keep in mind, that there are games out there already which cannot be played by a large base of people, just because these people are too stupid to play them properly. Games are for easy entertainment, so the allowed complexicity is pretty much limited.

I don't think it will get much further. Only thing I can imagine is to replicate reality, allowing you to do all the things ingame that you have already learned in reality (for instance some brain-connector that really puts YOU into the virtual world).

"only" that's a HUGE step from todays worlds. 

I think we are at least 3-4 generations before we will see that kind of gameplay, so perhaps in the 2030s onward. That's when I think the majority of the world will play games instead of watching movies, where new releases will sell in the 100+ millions :)

• He-ManVSHe-ManVS Member Posts: 41

But it's not even about complex game controls or user interfaces, it's more about the game system being able to perform more advanced functions, as well as the gaming industry  growing much larger and evolving.

It's also about games being more fun and enjoyable to play, not nessecarily the gameplay structure or mechanics being very complex. A lot of games still play very stiff and feel very mechanical.

Game genres and game variety will also expand in my opinion.

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

But it's not even about complex game controls or user interfaces, it's more about the game system being able to perform more advanced functions, as well as the gaming industry  growing much larger and evolving.
    It's also about games being more fun and enjoyable to play, not nessecarily the gameplay structure or mechanics being very complex. A lot of games still play very stiff and feel very mechanical.
    Game genres and game variety will also expand in my opinion.

I definitely understand where he's coming from. Personally there's much to be done in the MMORPG genre from larger worlds to fit more people to having real impacts on the game environment. We're a very long way from creating a living breathing world where everything can react to each other and that'll definitely be my next dream to experience in an MMO.

How about smarter A.I. that can think beyond threat values? That would be another and just overall complexity in game design. There's so much that can be done and hence why there's so much MMO's being released these days. It's like everyone's got their own version of the next big thing and they're just pumping them all out.