Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat pilot starting to do business?

ShebeeShebee Member Posts: 4

Hey, I've played EVE for some time well some time ago and I love the game.

My question is, that I'd now be interested in making money by merchanting, services, refining etc.. and I was thinking whether I should make a new character or just continue my subscription with my old combat pilot. I mean he would at least have decent learning skills.

Comments

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Easy answer.

Train the skills on your current character.

• ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

Easy answer.

Agreed. No reason your combat pilot couldn't also be a merchant.

Personally I started a second account for industrial/merchant type, but that was only to save time in the long-term. I'm ultimately going to end up spending X amount of months learning the required skills to be a good industrial/harvester/refiner, in addition to the various combat stuff. I opted to just split those months into two concurrent accounts, but I could just as easily have done in in a linear single account.

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

• forinboyforinboy Member UncommonPosts: 89

Easy answer.

Not an easy answer. 

Reason being that new characters get double skill points up to 1.6M (I think).  Therefore, depending on learning skills it might be much faster to start a new character with the skills he wants already trained and use the double training bonus to get there much faster.

However, doing it on your combat pilot is a reasonable alternative.  I only have 1 eve character that I use for everything since I just dont like jumping around to ALTs.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Shebee

Hey, I've played EVE for some time well some time ago and I love the game.

My question is, that I'd now be interested in making money by merchanting, services, refining etc.. and I was thinking whether I should make a new character or just continue my subscription with my old combat pilot. I mean he would at least have decent learning skills.

If you have basically no combat-related skills at all on your main, start a new alt, since it is handy to be able to log in to another character to do ISKy type stuff. Otherwise, you might as well just keep training your main.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Got to agree with some of the comments and say keep training your old character. I mean, what happens if you get the itch to go do some missions? If nothing else, your old character provides you more options as opposed to a new character who has the training bonus. Of course, If you are certain you only want to work the business side of things only then that new character might be appealing.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• shaunbutlershaunbutler Member Posts: 3

Use your old character unless you would prefer to use two accounts, one for industry and one for combat.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Originally posted by forinboy

Easy answer.

Not an easy answer. 

Reason being that new characters get double skill points up to 1.6M (I think).  Therefore, depending on learning skills it might be much faster to start a new character with the skills he wants already trained and use the double training bonus to get there much faster.

However, doing it on your combat pilot is a reasonable alternative.  I only have 1 eve character that I use for everything since I just dont like jumping around to ALTs.

So you suggest to make new character with low skills and do nothing while those skills train up to do the trade and industry side of things ?

Don't forget that as an already semi trained character the OP would (should) already have the basic learning and fitting skills that would not need to be trained again, all the OP has to train at this point is the trade and industry skills they needed. While these new skills trained up to a decent level they can still fly around and do combat stuff to make some money to get started in industry.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

You have already got a few good suggestion.

Another suggestion:

Send an invite to yourself for the 21 day trial. Make a skill plan on that with evemon. Train skills suggested that you can do with the trial account at first. Either you pay for this new account one day before you main account subscription is about to run out or if the trial account ends before that. This will give you 30 days free on your main and 51 days in total on the new account.

If you do trading, mining you can do that at the same time as you play with your combat character. And perhaps you have time to make him able to haul ore for you.

You now have one new account and a free month on your main.

But you have doubled your gaming fee looking at the second month.

It's an option that you should not neglect though.

Either way you do not really have to close your account as you can pause training if you opt to create a new character (just a reminder as this already been stated).

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

[Removed a few quotes]

So you suggest to make new character with low skills and do nothing while those skills train up to do the trade and industry side of things ?

Don't forget that as an already semi trained character the OP would (should) already have the basic learning and fitting skills that would not need to be trained again, all the OP has to train at this point is the trade and industry skills they needed. While these new skills trained up to a decent level they can still fly around and do combat stuff to make some money to get started in industry.

I often test evemon on new character. That gives me a glimpse on how faster/slower it would be. You can change attribute points 2 times, you have 100% bonus to training. Training skills add 1-3 days in the beginning depending on how far one takes that.

But all this depends on how deep he likes to go in trading.

Adding a new character to his account also makes trading easier. If one, for instance. can split up the hauling part to the main.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Actually it depends on how much ISK you actually have.

if you have plenty then it might be better to buy a character,  the buying and selling of characters with all the basic skills trained is big business.

Alternativly you could make a new character train the right skills and if you dont like it, you could sell it!  For a fairly reasonable profit.

If you get into this industry its fairly common for people to have several characters just to use the sell order slots!  and have alots based in the major market hubs for a quick reference.

You may even make your own mini corp with all your alts in for easy funds transfer!...

I'm afraid I agree, its not just as easy as using your current combat character.   Personally I WOULD use my main character but only because I have a combat alt account already... so.. it really is up to you but I hope my reply has given you some inspiration ;)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Noob question (because im a noob)  if i buy another account can i train both accounts at the same time

• ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by eddieg50

Noob question (because im a noob)  if i buy another account can i train both accounts at the same time

Yes, you can train one pilot at a time PER ACCOUNT.

If you're planning on buying a second (or additional) account, remember to do it by sending yourself a buddy trial invite. That way when you buy your first month on second account, first account is credited for a month.

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

You can train one character per account, but there is no limit to the number of accounts you have (as far as I know). And each account can train a character. It's not such a terrible idea to have two accounts, both training characters. Once character B gets to the point you want (like as a remote buying/selling alt in Jita), transfer them over to your main account then train another character to use or sell ...

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I must admit and hold my hand up to obtaining a second account when you could still ghost training,  its an awesome FW Pvp toon now :D

But again, if you plan on trading a lot you probably want to make a few alts based around the place, just to use contract slots and be able to quickly Price check in different regions :D

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191

I'd recommend using your main pilot as the learning skills you should have would outweight the 2x bonus of a new toon.  Unless, of course, you really really want to keep training combat skills, in which case get a second account - an alt training would stop the main's skills.