Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could 2011 be vintage year for mmos ?

There appears to be some very interesting mmos in development at present that look like they will get a release sometime in 2011 . Its all bairing up to be a good  year . What are you looking forward to most in it ?

Comments

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

2011 will take mmorpgs to a new level.Espceially Guild Wars 2 :)

Edit:Guild Wars 2 ----> Event system,world pvp(500vs500 or more),eviromental weapons,skill builds,proffesions,racial skills,armor and a lot of other things.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

I get the feeling that we are on the verge of something big. Whether it be good or bad, I don't know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• TektonTekton Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by Capn23

I get the feeling that we are on the verge of something big. Whether it be good or bad, I don't know.

I second that. I've seen more really interesting titles in a month than I have done in years. -11/12 will be good years indeed.

My biggest interest at the moment lies in the RTSMMO End of Nations (I think that's the title), it looks truly awesome. Rift has also peaked my interest.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Tekton

My biggest interest at the moment lies in the RTSMMO End of Nations (I think that's the title), it looks truly awesome. Rift has also peaked my interest.

End of nations does look very interesting. I have some concerns about the cash shop and griefing/ganking, but the concept is appealing to an old RTS fan like me.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

I'm very much looking forward to Guild Wars 2 . I want to be able to jump in it this time  though lol .

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

You hit it right on the spot: 2011 will be very interesting indeed :D

Why?

Guild Wars 2:  they were innovative with Guild Wars (streaming patching, Magic the Gathering-inspired combat, b2p, etc), and the released videos and interview show they'll even surpass themselves with GW2.

The Secret World: the 1st horror/urban fantasy MMO appearing, inspired upon Lovecraft, Stephen King and Neil Gaiman, trailers show great atmosphere, and it has some interesting game mechanics as well, like no leveling or classes and team combos.

SW ToR: the combination of Star Wars, Bioware and bucketload of cash should result in an interesting newcomer in the MMO market. How interesting only time can tell.

Next to that there'll be MMO's like Final Fantasy XIV - and maybe TERA and Telara? - appearing on the MMO stage. All in all, pretty good.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by yayitsandy

I'm very much looking forward to Guild Wars 2 . I want to be able to jump in it this time  though lol .

There'll be jumping (watch the two trailers ;) ).

There'll also be swimming and exploring huge underwater areas image

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by cyphers

There'll be jumping (watch the two trailers ;) ).

There'll also be swimming and exploring huge underwater areas image

Oh now this game just can NOT be bad :O

But how is the character customization????

Those 2 aspects make or break the game. 

I hope GW2 can do both well. It'll be the WoW killer.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Maybe it's me or is there a huge sense of let down in the MMO industry...all the time. For me this started with Vanguard. Then the whole AoC/WAR group coming out at the same time. Followed by Aion being a major endless grind. I guess this can be traced all the way back to Matrix Online. I don't know I just can't get into hype anymore. I'm really looking forward to FFXIV, but to be honest I have my doubts. Guild Wars 1 was pretty fun, but in all honesty it lacked the feeling of a MMO.  Hopefully things pick up but I just can't see it happening.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

See sing below. =)

Also some interesting single player games like Gothic 4, e Two worlds 2 for pc =)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

I remember the last time we were going to have a really good year for new MMO's, with AoC and WAR coming out.

Things don't always turn out as expected...

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

2011 should be an awesome year. Some examples are:

FFIV (I know they say 2010 but I'm guessing there will be a delay)

TERA

The Secret World

GW2

Star Wars

and some others.

People sometimes talk about a "WoW killer as if it will be a single game that sends WoW into a downward spiral. I think it will be a combination of games myself.  And 2011 could be the year.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

WoD might be interesting, although the Vampire mythos doesn't really grab me.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Amathe

That one came out in '91... you're 20 years too late =/.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

It does look like it could be a vintage year, I'm looking forward to SW:TOR, FFXVI, GW2 and The Secret World.

I doubt I'll get to play all of them, but if one of them is good enough to keep me subbed for 6 months or more, I'll be happy.

Have seen too many pre-launch hype cycles turning into post-launch damp fizzles to be truly hyped about any of them though.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

There appears to be some very interesting mmos in development at present that look like they will get a release sometime in 2011 . Its all bairing up to be a good  year . What are you looking forward to most in it ?

GW2 looks to be about the only vintage thing out there, and even that has instances. 

SWTOR is the complete opposite. 

GW2 will have a persistent, open world as they've mentioned many many times in many many interviews.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

GW2 will be persistent but there will be zones. They should be 3-4 times larger than in GW1.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

WoW some need to realize that Guild Wars 2 's world will be almost the same as WoW or Lotro.  Anyway on topic, yes 2011 will be a special year for mmos with Guild Wars 2, The Old Republic and FFXIV (end of 2010) will be pretty awesome. We finally get deveopers who know how to make good mmos.

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

It does look like it could be a vintage year, I'm looking forward to SW:TOR, FFXVI, GW2 and The Secret World.

I doubt I'll get to play all of them, but if one of them is good enough to keep me subbed for 6 months or more, I'll be happy.

Have seen too many pre-launch hype cycles turning into post-launch damp fizzles to be truly hyped about any of them though.

I  know what you mean if they are all good its going to be hard to choose . GW2 if ts non-sub based would be a must for me even if i play just casually . I have high hopes for SWKOTOR given its Bioware . Always have liked the Final Fantasy series and like many others I have my doubts it will be out this year . Secret World I think might make a 2010 release other than that 2010 looks to be a year dominated by expansions for the likes of WoW,AoC and proberbly Lotro .

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

World of Darkness Online and possibly "Copernicus". I may be playing FFXIV depending on how the game plays. I'm going to buy it and play for 30 days at least just to scratch off having played a FF MMO from my list.

Oh, and it depends on what they do with the Warhammer 40K MMO. It if'ts another run of the mill themepark game I'll pass.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

GW2 will have a cash shop. People say nothing in it will be game breaking, but I'm already expecting a let down.

They will probably screw us too !

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Originally posted by page

GW2 will have a cash shop. People say nothing in it will be game breaking, but I'm already expecting a let down.

A cash shop like this: https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=1853429842&action=toggleCategory&category=4

cosmetics only, and since the game is Box only to play and told in advance your trolling attempt fail =)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

Originally posted by page

A cash shop like this: https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=1853429842&action=toggleCategory&category=4

cosmetics only, and since the game is Box only to play and told in advance your trolling attempt fail =)

Nice one! :D

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Amathe
    2011 should be an awesome year. Some examples are:
    TERA
    The Secret World
    GW2
    Star Wars
    and some others.

People sometimes talk about a "WoW killer as if it will be a single game that sends WoW into a downward spiral. I think it will be a combination of games myself.  And 2011 could be the year.

This is wise thinking. And we can only hope the progression in games is towards less cookie-cutter and towards player customization, complete worlds, and class/level/progression ideas that are in some way new and different from what we have.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?