Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP is next?

Comments

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by sapphen

Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

Mechwarrior

we need a sci-fi mmo that not spaceship-centric

chances of it happening - never  :(

It does seem that we could use a good Mech MMO on the market.

Mechwarrior was one of my favorite games i would love to see become an MMO.  Unfortunately with the trouble Mechwarrior 5 i doubt we will ever see another Mechwarrior MMO.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

WTB Mechwarrior PVP MMO

Would also like to see Shadowrun as an MMO someday...

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Lunny08

.......Harry Potter.....!!

I think the problem would be that kids would want to play it. Now how to design a MMO that would work for kids ? I dont think its doable.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

lastest gosip:

freddy goes to playboy mansion!

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

trion has teamed with the sy fy channel to make an action mmo connected to a sy fy show

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Maybe Tom & Jerry online or even worse WoW 2

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Put me down for Harry Potter also.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

A Mortal Kombat MMO.  Not sure how they would do it... but there ya go.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

"Sex and the City Online" - for the untapped market of those who menstruate and manstruate ;)

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Civilizations

Starcraft

MechWarrior

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by Mardy

Civilizations

Starcraft

MechWarrior

IF that were to happen... I might just need to take a year off work.. lol

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

R I F T S

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Warhammer 40k and Mech Warrior/Battletech are the two that comes to mind for me.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

If I was a developer I would avoid any IP like the plague unless you own it outright like Blizz/WoW. 

Just about every other IP has crashed and burned with one having limited success (LotR) but no were close to what it should have had given its history and world wide following the IP has. 

To many people will have unreasonable expectations on what the game should be and it limits developer freedom because of the lore and story of the IP.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Votan

To many people will have unreasonable expectations on what the game should be and it limits developer freedom do to the already created lore of the IP,

Too many devs make a shallow attempt to bait in fans of the IP, while building a 'me too' MMO designed to appeal to the general masses - who leave when the next shiney releases.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

Zelda Online!!!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

Mechwarrior

we need a sci-fi mmo that not spaceship-centric

chances of it happening - never  :(

It does seem that we could use a good Mech MMO on the market.

There is a mech style mmo in the works... Force of Arms.

It sounds like it's going to be a pretty in depth game, but then again who knows.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

lol, WALL-E MMO, you know, after the fat people landed on the planet.

• VilidinVilidin Member Posts: 8

Transformers gets my vote

lol, WALL-E MMO, you know, after the fat people landed on the planet.

Too bad the name 'America Online' is taken.. ;)

• GrungiGrungi Member Posts: 86

If we're talking pure wish-list optimism: Mass Effect.

Action-TPS combat in a persistent world.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Silmarillion or Middle-Earth Online. Not this kindergarden version LOTRO is. A savage & brutal Middle Earth is what my heart craves for!!

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• WeezheatWeezheat Member Posts: 43

The genre NEEDS a historcial based MMO. Roman, Greek, Egyptian, you name it. Grab it from 300 and make it a PvP game. Still looking forward to Gods & heroes

I blog for GamingWeez. Do you? Discuss everything MMO related in a community that lets YOU be the blogger. www.GamingWeez.com

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

Dune or Planescape.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Votan

If I was a developer I would avoid any IP like the plague unless you own it outright like Blizz/WoW. 

Just about every other IP has crashed and burned with one having limited success (LotR) but no were close to what it should have had given its history and world wide following the IP has. 

To many people will have unreasonable expectations on what the game should be and it limits developer freedom because of the lore and story of the IP.

What i disagree with you is the criteria on using an IP - from my observations it's not who is the owner, but whether the IP's original media was video games or something else. Don't look at Blizzard/WoW only, look at Square Enix/Final Fantasy and Origin/Ultima Series.

But yes i had exactly the same observation - using an IP creates unreasonable expectations to its fans, especially when they are not into video games. Additionally, the non-fans won't overlook anything they didn't liked on your game just cause you used an IP. It's like digging your own grave.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."