Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome Back Weekend and New Demo Play Feature

NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Just got my e-mail.  May 7th is a Welcome Back Weekend - don't know if I would really count since all I was was an Open Beta Player.

Also Cryptic is opening up a New Demo Play (Trial) Feature that's 'limited to the first few missions' that starts the same time.

What do you think - Good or Bad idea? 

From the forums here you'd think this would be just another death kiss, but maybe Cryptic is hoping to suck in players that don't visit to read and just see the game title.

Atleast if anyone asks what I think of the game, I can now say 'check out the trial' and make your own decision.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Also in the email:

Veteran Rewards

Our sincerest thanks to players who have invested their time with us! We'd like to send some goodies your way. The more you play Star Trek Online, the more we'll give you. Skill point bonuses, titles, costume pieces, character slots... Veterans will be rewarded every 100 days! Rewards will be retroactive, too!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I wonder if former subscribers will be able to post on the official forums that weekend.  Sadly, I'll have little free time that weekend to read the all the drama the official forums will no doubt contain if they can.

As far as giving the game another shot...LOL not a chance. 

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

My rage at cryptic is just pretty much spent so i doubt i will go back and upset the lifers on the forums...oh wait maybe i wil.....

• Echo08Echo08 Member Posts: 55

Yeah... I just saw... more cryptic store junk... without so much content.  Geee... no thanks.

Why don't you make a fleet encounter where there is a gigantic matter sucking blob.... It could be the Roper encounter, or the cryptic crisis, or the Zink proxy.  

But my gripes aside.  I'm not buying the nickel and dime junk.  I understand many mmos are gravitating that way, but I don't believe I will be moving with them.  If you want my money earn it, otherwise ... you're fired.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I love the part where the 100 day veteran rewards will be retroactive too.... UMMMM Has the game even been out for 100 days?

This is good stuff tho.. Cryptic should of titled the email as "Save us, we're sinking" promo.. lmao

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

no crafting, no exploring. at least there fixing the auto fire (crypticstillowesmeanewkeyboard) but honestly it doesnt look like they have added anything to game that would come remotely close to making it interesting.

like someone else posted earlier.... do we have access to the sto forums? that sounds more interesting than what there e-mail offered.

on a down sound the game has good enough graphics and play that there trial offer is going to suck more people in. after all if you only did the first 3 or 4 missions, it might seem like a mediocre game.... its not until after i realized that the missions are all exactly the same that i saw how shallow and incomplete sto was.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

I think most people who left have given up on STO being worthwhile. I got 3 more days left and I find it interesting they can't release content on time but they sure can get stuff onto the c store on time.  I see nothing that would make me want to give 15 bucks to come back and check it out in the future.  It is funny seeing a bunch of the lifers crying about people getting access to the captains table in a YEAR and asking for other perks as "compensation".  In one fell swoop, cryptic has managed to reignite the lifers vs monthly flame war. Now that the shoes on the other foot, it's not so amusing to the lifers.  Well cryptic made that bed now they'll have to lie in it.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by bstiff

I think most people who left have given up on STO being worthwhile. I got 3 more days left and I find it interesting they can't release content on time but they sure can get stuff onto the c store on time.  I see nothing that would make me want to give 15 bucks to come back and check it out in the future.  It is funny seeing a bunch of the lifers crying about people getting access to the captains table in a YEAR and asking for other perks as "compensation".  In one fell swoop, cryptic has managed to reignite the lifers vs monthly flame war. Now that the shoes on the other foot, it's not so amusing to the lifers.  Well cryptic made that bed now they'll have to lie in it.

Non lifers will eventually get access to the captians table?  Interesting.  Since this was something that is apparently exclusive to lifers... now cryptic backpedals on it LOL.  At least lifers still have their precious blue forum names LOL. 

Think I will go read some threads over in the STO forums... .see what all the buzz is about.

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Non lifers will eventually get access to the captians table?  Interesting.  Since this was something that is apparently exclusive to lifers... now cryptic backpedals on it LOL.  At least lifers still have their precious blue forum names LOL. 

Think I will go read some threads over in the STO forums... .see what all the buzz is about.

yeah the way some of them are acting, you'd think it was happening tomorrow.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by raistalin69

... on a down sound the game has good enough graphics and play that there trial offer is going to suck more people in. after all if you only did the first 3 or 4 missions, it might seem like a mediocre game.... its not until after i realized that the missions are all exactly the same that i saw how shallow and incomplete sto was.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.  By limiting play time, Cryptic is making a wise move.  Odd's are good you shouldn't see the same repeat missions if you can only do a couple at the start.  And to be honest the build up to the regular missions is fairly decent with some nice features.  Toon creation, a ho-hum tutorial that atleast gets you into the (their) ST mood, auto grouping etc.... Then you do a couple missions and those are unique too.  It's after that ....... things go downhill.

Cryptic will probably make money on the deal, but will totally burn the bridge behind themselves doing it.  I feel sorry for those to come.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Nebless

... on a down sound the game has good enough graphics and play that there trial offer is going to suck more people in. after all if you only did the first 3 or 4 missions, it might seem like a mediocre game.... its not until after i realized that the missions are all exactly the same that i saw how shallow and incomplete sto was.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.  By limiting play time, Cryptic is making a wise move.  Odd's are good you shouldn't see the same repeat missions if you can only do a couple at the start.  And to be honest the build up to the regular missions is fairly decent with some nice features.  Toon creation, a ho-hum tutorial that atleast gets you into the (their) ST mood, auto grouping etc.... Then you do a couple missions and those are unique too.  It's after that ....... things go downhill.

Cryptic will probably make money on the deal, but will totally burn the bridge behind themselves doing it.  I feel sorry for those to come.

That and the fact you can hit endgame in a week.

Originally posted by Betaboo

Originally posted by Nebless

That and the fact you can hit endgame in a week.

Hell if someone really wanted to go crazy they could hit it in the free weekend. Or is it levell capped?

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

The free Vet welcome back should be wide open so yea true there. 

The free demo, by limiting it to just a few missions at the start - No.  They wouldn't know about end game and would really would still be an Ensign in their starter ship.

I'm trying to think of another game that's so restricted and come up blank.  AoC is Tortage only, but you can go up to lvl 20, DAoC, VO were just a time limit.  Heck Mount & Blade lets you go up to lvl 7 so you can see quite a lot there.

Like I said good move on Cryptic's side, just give 'em a small taste ...... then 'POW' 'to the moon Alice, to the moon!'

One of the lifers is apparently trying to stage a revolt.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=154430

seems like the majority do not agree though.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

A welcome back weekend already!? That in and of itself screams "don't  spend a dime on this game!"  I don't recall even  AoC having one that soon after release.  What a shame.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Wow, they want to try to physically try to block access to it? This is what happens when you give people a sense of entitlement.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

no crafting, no exploring. at least there fixing the auto fire (crypticstillowesmeanewkeyboard) but honestly it doesnt look like they have added anything to game that would come remotely close to making it interesting.

like someone else posted earlier.... do we have access to the sto forums? that sounds more interesting than what there e-mail offered.

on a down sound the game has good enough graphics and play that there trial offer is going to suck more people in. after all if you only did the first 3 or 4 missions, it might seem like a mediocre game.... its not until after i realized that the missions are all exactly the same that i saw how shallow and incomplete sto was.

Have the early levels been adjusted at all as I found the 1-11 part of the game to be very dull and overall the least fun part of the 1-45 journey due to the crappy starter ship.

Originally posted by Jounar

Have the early levels been adjusted at all as I found the 1-11 part of the game to be very dull and overall the least fun part of the 1-45 journey due to the crappy starter ship.

My guess would be no, the overall experience is still the same.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by Jounar

My guess would be no, the overall experience is still the same.

Don't see how that's gonna get trial folks to sub so as one of the biggest complaints at launch from the 700+ fleet people making up our multi fleet was about how god damm bad the starter levels were once they got out of the first borg mission.

Wow, they want to try to physically try to block access to it? This is what happens when you give people a sense of entitlement.

ROFL was that clown for real?  Not sure what made laugh harder...this guy or the one that said the bugs are the players' fault.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

how do you have a "welcome back!" weekend after 4 mnths? (is 4 months right?) how badly did sto bleed after 1 month? and considering a fair amount of people actually got 3 months free with the game from one of cryptics 10/10 pr fiasco's.....

as to the lvl limit for trials.... ive actually seen this done extremely well recently in fallen earth.

1. No Trading

2. No sending mail

3. No auction bids/buyouts or posting

4. A level cap of 10

5. You cannot be a clan leader

6. Your limited to 100 chat messages per session

7. You cannot deposit items or chips in the clan vault

no trading.... if stuff is stolen from clan it cant be moved thru a trial account

no mail... stops gold spammers

100 chat message limit... stops gold spammers (well limits them)

the others im not sure how they effect stuff... but im guessing they have a purpose

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

how do you have a "welcome back!" weekend after 4 mnths? (is 4 months right?) how badly did sto bleed after 1 month? and considering a fair amount of people actually got 3 months free with the game from one of cryptics 10/10 pr fiasco's.....

Well, no actually it's only been three months, and I'm thinking they bled more than the people in a Quentin Tarantino film.  May 4th is the start of the 4 month billing cycle.

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

ROFL was that clown for real?  Not sure what made laugh harder...this guy or the one that said the bugs are the players' fault.

Honestly, given the level of fanaticism displayed there, I think he actually was serious.

as to the lvl limit for trials.... ive actually seen this done extremely well recently in fallen earth.

1. No Trading

2. No sending mail

3. No auction bids/buyouts or posting

4. A level cap of 10

5. You cannot be a clan leader

6. Your limited to 100 chat messages per session

7. You cannot deposit items or chips in the clan vault

no trading.... if stuff is stolen from clan it cant be moved thru a trial account

no mail... stops gold spammers

100 chat message limit... stops gold spammers (well limits them)

the others im not sure how they effect stuff... but im guessing they have a purpose

Somehow I see Cryptic fucking something up and the 7 day trial being nothing more than a new way for gold spammers to piss off what's left of the customer base lol.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I cannot stop laughing about this, only 4 months into release and offering a welcome back pass that is just incredible I cannot think of anything more constructive to say as I'm still laughing and some people paid 300 bucks for this, Hahahahahahahaha.

Cal. feeling kinda cruel at the moment. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.