Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC.. pvp wise.. any better?

I played for about two months on my archer when the game first came out.  I realized quickly the pvp was worthless and meaningless.  I love pvp mmos and I was hoping this would be great for me.  I'm still playing dark age of camelot.  Aion is actually by favorite pvp mmo but the end game farming ruined it for me. 

So has the pvp gotten any better?  Also, no offense, I am seeking comments from none wow players or any comparison to wow.  WoW is by no means a pvp game and I'm not seeking anyone comparing it to that.  So please no comparisons to Wow.  If all you have played besides this game is wow then you can't really answer my question.

Comments

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

What specifically about PvP did you not enjoy at launch?  World PvP has not changed... it's still FFA.  Classes are far more balanced now than they were at launch.  Sieges work better now... but really to give you a better answer it would be helpful if you told us what you didn't like specifically about the PvP.

For what it's worth... AoC's PvP was 100 times better at launch than WoW's PvP ever was...

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148

i just started yesterday on a pvp server, it seems a little unresponsive and lacks depth but im also lvl 12 so what do i know.

I still think the best pvp interface is Darkfall even though the game is flawed and the system is unbalanced. it still makes more sense than any other game ive played.

• lightingbirdlightingbird Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by gkb3469

i just started yesterday on a pvp server, it seems a little unresponsive and lacks depth but im also lvl 12 so what do i know.

I still think the best pvp interface is Darkfall even though the game is flawed and the system is unbalanced. it still makes more sense than any other game ive played.

I'm actually considering giving darkfall a run.  If you get higher level and if noone has answered my question, please give me a review later. 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it's really hard to aswer your question since "better" can mean a lot of things.

as for worthless well they do have pvp levels ( up to 10 now) which are required to get pvp gear. not sure if that is meeningfull enough for you. there is still no full loot pvp or anything like that.

on pvp server world pvp is still very well and alive, but it's seldom a fair fight. Shrines of Bori has brought back world pvp in a big way but it is mostly group pvp and numbers/gear usually wins the fight.

Sieges are still very laggy. duable but not very enjoyable. wile they dont crash anymore the lag is very annoying. i would compare the lag of AoC sieges much like the lag in big Aion sieges.

As for the feel of pvp wile it has been tweeked and refined quite a bit it's still a bit clunky especially if you dont have an awesome comp and really fast internet. even then it's not super smooth and responsive.

cc has been nerfed a lot especially from casters, and cc immunites have been implemented.  

a few classes have been revamped and reworked.

i have played Aion ( only got to 40) and wile i'd say Aion has smoother combat AoC doesn't have the crazy farming for absolutely everything. AoC does not have the Abyss point system where you take points from those you kill. you do get pvp xp for every kill but you opponent doesn't loose his. AoC melee combat is much more challenging and complicated then Aion's.

has it gotten better? yes it has but it's still a long ways from being perfect.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by gkb3469

LOL funny that I was going to say the same about Darkfall . .. but am thinking about resubbing to AoC to mess around while im harvesting in Darkfall or if I only have an hour or less to play.

I have a question for you though. How is the first nooby dungeon? Is it still very populated? How many instances on average does it have?

If there are not always people found in the first dungeon that I won't resub . .. I just miss rolling entire groups with my ranger.

: D

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• lightingbirdlightingbird Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

it's really hard to aswer your question since "better" can mean a lot of things.

as for worthless well they do have pvp levels ( up to 10 now) which are required to get pvp gear. not sure if that is meeningfull enough for you. there is still no full loot pvp or anything like that.

on pvp server world pvp is still very well and alive, but it's seldom a fair fight. Shrines of Bori has brought back world pvp in a big way but it is mostly group pvp and numbers/gear usually wins the fight.

Sieges are still very laggy. duable but not very enjoyable. wile they dont crash anymore the lag is very annoying. i would compare the lag of AoC sieges much like the lag in big Aion sieges.

As for the feel of pvp wile it has been tweeked and refined quite a bit it's still a bit clunky especially if you dont have an awesome comp and really fast internet. even then it's not super smooth and responsive.

cc has been nerfed a lot especially from casters, and cc immunites have been implemented.  

a few classes have been revamped and reworked.

i have played Aion ( only got to 40) and wile i'd say Aion has smoother combat AoC doesn't have the crazy farming for absolutely everything. AoC does not have the Abyss point system where you take points from those you kill. you do get pvp xp for every kill but you opponent doesn't loose his. AoC melee combat is much more challenging and complicated then Aion's.

has it gotten better? yes it has but it's still a long ways from being perfect.

You answered my question exaclty.  Thats the main reason I asked for no WoW reference because none of those players would have an accurate idea.  I've played a ton of pvp mmo games with daoc and aion being my favorite.  So when I said meaningul it would mean killing gets your character stronger like in daoc or aion.  Taking and defending areas like in daoc or aion.  When i played aoc before it was just empty pointless pvp.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

PvP leveling get you gear, gear make you more stronger to do more killing then gain more rank and more player hate. I am hated, that mean I am on a constant look out, watching my own ass now like I am out in the real world lol. I am just saying PvP now in AoC is more serious! well for me that is.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

IMO AoC got worse, much worse.   Aion was pretty good but I didn't like the PvE grinding for gear, TBH EQ 1 was funner than Aion as it had character looting but yeah in Aion once you hit officer you just do dredgion so you don't die and the grinds even after level cap are nuts. Somethings I dislike about AoC PvP:  Guards all over the place even roaming the world to insta kill anyone engaged in world PvP.  Dishonor kills for killing someone 6 levels lower.  And AoC developers seem to go out of their way to avoid players fighting each other. Shrines is the PvP gear system and it goes out of the way to avoid making you fight other players.

If you want PvP gear you farm non contested nodes for hours so if you like gathering it is cool. These are the updated PvP portion. You don't get many points from killing players you get points from farming nodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpm_Mh6CaQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soBQsr7O_ro

Here are the issues with PvP.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=213650

If you like casual PvE AoC may be pretty good but not sure if anyone considers this a good PvP game.  Sieges are the closest thing and they lag.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• NakisisaNakisisa Member Posts: 27

Yes. They gave out Team Fortress 2 weapons to everyone in the game. My Assassin is now a Pyro as well. A Piessassin if you will.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

What about the spellcasters that could dominate due to lack of combos. Has that changed?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Lateris

What about the spellcasters that could dominate due to lack of combos. Has that changed?

The new Panda Shaman in the expansion will dominate all!

In all seriousness, I think the AA will offer PVP advancement, negating any lack of perceived advantage from not having combo's. So to specifically answer, if you get the expac then you will have access the the AA system and then there are some significant changes in some approaches to PVP here.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by lightingbird

I played for about two months on my archer when the game first came out.  I realized quickly the pvp was worthless and meaningless.  I love pvp mmos and I was hoping this would be great for me.  I'm still playing dark age of camelot.  Aion is actually by favorite pvp mmo but the end game farming ruined it for me. 

So has the pvp gotten any better?  Also, no offense, I am seeking comments from none wow players or any comparison to wow.  WoW is by no means a pvp game and I'm not seeking anyone comparing it to that.  So please no comparisons to Wow.  If all you have played besides this game is wow then you can't really answer my question.

It is funny that you do not consider WOW's PvP would be as good or in depth as AoC's when I have played and done both AoC's PvP and WoW's PVP and many other MMORPG's PvP like DAoC, AC, AC2 and EQ, EQ2 and well you name it and I have done it and of all the games I have played WoW's PvP has more depth and is more fluid than any other game I have played - MMORPG wise that is.    For you to think that WoW's PvP is not PvP then I think you have never PvP'd in WoW before.    AoC's has good PvP combat in place, but a lot of the games mechanics are borked(players of AoC know this and complain about it and still nothing is done to fix it) and many classes still have talents that are either useless or still do not work as intended.    After two years you'd think some of this would have been fixed but the complaints we saw two years ago still plague the game today.   

Atleast the BG's work in WoW and Wintergrasp makes the sieges in AoC seem archaic at best.    Seriously...WG's battles can be intense compared to the lame stuff we see in AoC's sieges.  

The saddest thing is that I wish all of the current games didn't play with the combat mechanics they currently use and would switch to Mount and Blades combat mechanics...now that would be truly awesome PvP combat - and the kind of combat in M&B really does take skill to master - there is no auto target - not auto-lock.   I'd love to see a game like AoC go to a more viceral, and fluid FPS type combat like we see in Mount & Blade - OMG the combat from horseback and the archery of Mount and Blade puts anything you see in any MMORPG to shame.