Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell you one thing I really loved about the old combat system...

TelothynusTelothynus Member UncommonPosts: 19

...is that Jedi were kept in check.  They were an alpha class, and even though I disagreed with bringing them into the game -- because I knew everyone would want to be one, including me -- I strongly agreed that they needed to be controlled, population wise.

Two words.

Visibility.

Bounty Hunters.

Losing a skillbox was fair.  The idea behind an alpha class is it's not only hard to obtain that alpha class, but that it's even harder to maintain that alpha class once you have gotten it.  That's the privelege of being more powerful than the other professions.  I always thought it would also be fun to program in an occasional random NPC attack by Vader, even if your visibility was kept low.

The original penalty for being killed as a Jedi was too harsh, though.  Permadeath after three deaths.  Losing a random skillbox was more fair.

Jedi whined and whined and whined until the skillbox loss  was changed, of course.  Then everyone and their grandmother could obtain and keep Jedi, albeit through a long grind.  If I were SOE I would have been stubborn about removing a Jedi death penalty, I'd have been as stubborn about giving the players that as they were about reversing the NGE back to the old combat system.  :P  

Old School SWG - "I paid you 1,000,000 credits not for you to slice my Krayt weapon for me... I paid you 1,000,000 credits to give it BACK to me."

Comments

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Just off the top of my head I would say range modifiers, posture modifiers, and the variety of possible damge that can be done (i.e. kinetic, stun, energy, blast. lightsaber, etc). Levels of armour piercing as well.

I also really enjoyed having to examine your target to see what weapon/damage type was needed to most effectively kill your prey - or if you were even able to do any damage to them at all. As a swordsman I remember having difficulty with the Kunga Rocksmashers(?) because they had 100% protection from both kinetic and blast damage and therefore my scythe and powerhammer were ineffective.

Sorry, I misread the title of your post and thought you were asking about others' favorite things about combat. :)

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Originally posted by Suvroc

Just off the top of my head I would say range modifiers, posture modifiers, and the variety of possible damge that can be done (i.e. kinetic, stun, energy, blast. lightsaber, etc). Levels of armour piercing as well.

I also really enjoyed having to examine your target to see what weapon/damage type was needed to most effectively kill your prey - or if you were even able to do any damage to them at all. As a swordsman I remember having difficulty with the Kunga Rocksmashers(?) because they had 100% protection from both kinetic and blast damage and therefore my scythe and powerhammer were ineffective.

Sorry, I misread the title of your post and thought you were asking about others' favorite things about combat. :)

Rockshapers...swordsman could not kill them at all.  100% resists to kinetic and blast.  Found that out the hardway one day and kited the one I had to the MO.  LOL

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by Valeran

Originally posted by Suvroc

Rockshapers...swordsman could not kill them at all.  100% resists to kinetic and blast.  Found that out the hardway one day and kited the one I had to the MO.  LOL

Ah that's right! Pesky little fellas. They followed me forever. :)

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Enemies with low mind bars and Eyeshot!

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by Telothynus

...is that Jedi were kept in check.  They were an alpha class, and even though I disagreed with bringing them into the game -- because I knew everyone would want to be one, including me -- I strongly agreed that they needed to be controlled, population wise.

Two words.

Visibility.

Bounty Hunters.

Losing a skillbox was fair.  The idea behind an alpha class is it's not only hard to obtain that alpha class, but that it's even harder to maintain that alpha class once you have gotten it.  That's the privelege of being more powerful than the other professions.  I always thought it would also be fun to program in an occasional random NPC attack by Vader, even if your visibility was kept low.

The original penalty for being killed as a Jedi was too harsh, though.  Permadeath after three deaths.  Losing a random skillbox was more fair.

Jedi whined and whined and whined until the skillbox loss  was changed, of course.  Then everyone and their grandmother could obtain and keep Jedi, albeit through a long grind.  If I were SOE I would have been stubborn about removing a Jedi death penalty, I'd have been as stubborn about giving the players that as they were about reversing the NGE back to the old combat system.  :P  

Actually, permadeath was a good way to keep Jedi population low which was important to keep the world movie-like. Losing a skill box alone would not be enough.

Besides that I agree with everything you said. I stayed true to my Tera Kasi until the very end and had hell of a time with my guildmates. Unfortunately, some people don't understand that you don't need the best weapon or wear the best armor to have fun. Usually, once you do it isn't fun anymore right?