Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a Game in Open Beta

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hello, I'm looking for a game that is in open beta and that will not be F2P when it releases.  By open beta I mean I can play right now (after possibly registering/downloading/installing) not that you can submit an application and maybe get accepted to beta sometime later.

Also, not Mortal Online.

So to recap, I'm looking for a game that is:

1) in open beta that I can play right now

2) not going to be free to play/item shop based when it releases

3) is not mortal online

Thanks for reading and I really appreciate any suggestions! 

Comments

• Deviant18Deviant18 Member Posts: 8

Um have you tried fantasy earth zero??? I ts in open beta just register and download it only has one race avialabe (i thnk 2 or 3 more able to come out later with the full realease) also have 3 availabe classes for the human. But they have a unique battle system. It also has a nice in depth story line with different roles from a faction you chose to join in the begining, and it has a good player base online... so i would suggest to you fantasy earth zero :) hope this helped

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

I appreciate the reply, however Fantasy Earth Zero is going to be free to play/item shop based on release, and so doesn't meet what I'm looking for.

Anyone else with some suggestions?

Did some more digging on my own, couldn't find anything.  Still open for advice! 

Daily update: Still looking!  

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Why not apply for closed beta?  I mean, ultimately, what are your motives in wanting to beta test? To get your hands on a game before anyone else?  Play something different?  Or do you actually want to beta test and help find bugs, flaws, and issues in an effort to help the future customers?  If the former, please don't.  Beta testers treating the tests as "free trials" are one of the many reasons games release with so many bugs.  If the latter, then make the effort to apply for closed betas and do the community some good.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

There isn't any. Check back in few months.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

@zeowyrm - I've applied to probably a dozen closed betas over the past couple months, haven't gotten in to any.  I did manage to get a EU code for the APB closed beta, only to download the 8 GB's of client, install, setup my account, then find out there is only 2 hours max of beta testing per week (actually probably more like 1 hour of actual playtesting taking all things into account) and that the 1-2 hours of beta testing per week only occurs at a very specific time which if you are at work/school/asleep means 0 hours per week of playtesting.  Open beta is supposedly coming soon, but its an MMO, so "soon" means anytime between 1 week and 1 year.

@hyanmen - Actually, looks like you are 100% right :-/

Originally posted by RollieJoe

@zeowyrm - I've applied to probably a dozen closed betas over the past couple months, haven't gotten in to any.  I did manage to get a EU code for the APB closed beta, only to download the 8 GB's of client, install, setup my account, then find out there is only 2 hours max of beta testing per week (actually probably more like 1 hour of actual playtesting taking all things into account) and that the 1-2 hours of beta testing per week only occurs at a very specific time which if you are at work/school/asleep means 0 hours per week of playtesting.  Open beta is supposedly coming soon, but its an MMO, so "soon" means anytime between 1 week and 1 year.

So, what you're saying is, you just want to be one of the first to play a game then?  Because if you truly wanted to beta test, the 2 hour per week stuff shouldn't bother you.  I'm also guessing this based on your not answering the question in my initial post.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by zeowyrm

So, what you're saying is, you just want to be one of the first to play a game then?  Because if you truly wanted to beta test, the 2 hour per week stuff shouldn't bother you.  I'm also guessing this based on your not answering the question in my initial post.

You can't blame the guy, many people use open or even closed betas as a means of obtaining valuable information about a game for when it launches they have a head-start in what to do and where to go.  

Any game I get interested in I'd love to get into beta, one of the biggest reasons why is because of the knowledge advantage I'd have come launch.  Take Starcraft 2 for example, I'm in beta and of course playing it now will only make me a better player come release day.

Full Sail University - Game Design

Originally posted by Bainwalker

You can't blame the guy, many people use open or even closed betas as a means of obtaining valuable information about a game for when it launches they have a head-start in what to do and where to go.  

Any game I get interested in I'd love to get into beta, one of the biggest reasons why is because of the knowledge advantage I'd have come launch.  Take Starcraft 2 for example, I'm in beta and of course playing it now will only make me a better player come release day.

Ok, soapbox time.

I can blame him actualy, just as I can blame you.  I blame anyone who beta tests a game without the intent of truly beta testing it.  People constantly bitch and moan about how games are released as buggy messes, and yes, sometimes (in fact most of the time) that is the fault of the developers/publishers.  But it also part of the horde of "me first!" players who simply want to play the game and not report bugs, look for exploits, and all around try to fix the game before launch.  The worst offenders are the ones who beta test a game, then have the nerve to bitch about bugs that they never reported in the beta.

Ok, time for me to get off my soapbox and report myself for derailing a thread.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

you want the game to scratch your but with a satellite laser beam too? sry couldnt resist the family guy reference

get over f2p Battle of the Immortals open beta starts on may 4th its a decent game

oh and i forgot" why the edit" Craft of Gods open beta is on now til the 6th of may it is not free to play yadayadayada

battle of the immortals is so much better of a game tho good luk to ya

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Ok, soapbox time.

I can blame him actualy, just as I can blame you.  I blame anyone who beta tests a game without the intent of truly beta testing it.  People constantly bitch and moan about how games are released as buggy messes, and yes, sometimes (in fact most of the time) that is the fault of the developers/publishers.  But it also part of the horde of "me first!" players who simply want to play the game and not report bugs, look for exploits, and all around try to fix the game before launch.  The worst offenders are the ones who beta test a game, then have the nerve to bitch about bugs that they never reported in the beta.

Did I say it was the ONLY reason I play a beta? No, and if you're sitting there telling me that while you're testing you don't also pay attention to things you may find helpful come launch I'm the only honest one out of the two of us.  It's human nature, there is no hiding from the fact every tester is the same.  Yes some play just to play, but in the end even those really testing and looking for bugs pick up the same helpful information.

As for the release of shitty, buggy games... that's all on the developer.  I promise you most developers know the flaws in a game before it launches.  You gotta remember these MMO's of late are pushed out the door like babies that come out a month early.  Don't blame shit games on the beta testers no doing their job.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

no f2p?men this remove the majority of games?wow cataclysm is in beta i believe but i dont recall how their beta system works!

Originally posted by drbaltazar

no f2p?men this remove the majority of games?wow cataclysm is in beta i believe but i dont recall how their beta system works!

craft of gods is open beta till the 6th its p2p

Ok, soapbox time.

Did I say it was the ONLY reason I play a beta? No, and if you're sitting there telling me that while you're testing you don't also pay attention to things you may find helpful come launch I'm the only honest one out of the two of us.  It's human nature, there is no hiding from the fact every tester is the same.  Yes some play just to play, but in the end even those really testing and looking for bugs pick up the same helpful information.

As for the release of shitty, buggy games... that's all on the developer.  I promise you most developers know the flaws in a game before it launches.  You gotta remember these MMO's of late are pushed out the door like babies that come out a month early.  Don't blame shit games on the beta testers no doing their job.

To be honest, I don't beta test.  My opinions (yes, I'm not stating that what I'm saying is facts) are derived from observations I have made.  And yes, I will continue to blame buggy games on beta testers IN ADDITION to the developers.  Thinking the argument is one sided is just folly.

Ok, soapbox time.

you cant really blame anyone because on top of the playing the devs are also stress testing the servers and they should also be making it as easy as possible to report said bugs/glitches without having to drop the client go to forum remember what exactly happened and where yadyadayada

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286

you can sing up for black prophecy and they accept all the testers when the beta starts.

Ignoring all the off topic stuff (opinions are like a%*holes, everybody's got one and I don't care about yours), it seems the bottom line is that Craft of Gods is currently the only pay to play MMO with an open beta.  So at least that came of this thread, I'm DL'ing it as I type.

Any others out there that no one has mentioned?