Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PlayOnline insane? SecureCode/3-D Secure required

13»

Comments

• DreysonDreyson Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by Dreyson

Originally posted by micjackson

Guys listen, there is an easy way around this 3-d secure bull @%@$.  All you have to do is either buy the console version (you don't even need codes if you already have them on the pc version) or find someone who does have the console version and log in playonline from the console.  The console versions still do not use the 3-d verification system, so basically you can sign up with any card you want (Visa or Mastercard i'm assuming).  So don't get pissed off, just go around it.

I can confirm this works. Kind of a pain, and doesn't make a whole lotta sense but atleast it's a work around.

And then when your account gets banned from being hacked and used as RMT, remember that you chose not to secure your account further and its your fault, not SE!

Or maybe it's because my bank doesn't offer SecureCode on my Mastercard. So I'm just not suppose to play? I can do that, I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that would gladly take my money.

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

SecureCode only work for you card not for your account it well secure your card not your account

• YhemicYhemic Member Posts: 17

Wells Fargo

Visa

Debit Card

Can I subscribe, or not?

Because I'm looking into this game and I don't want it to be a wast of my time.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• postpwnpostpwn Member UncommonPosts: 87

I'm glad to hear about that console workaround. I wanted to return to FFXI and play on both Xbox 360 and PC anyway so now I have a real excuse to buy the 360 version (since I don't have a card with 3-D Secure).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Although i agree that Square has a terrible way of dealing with customer support,the problem is not your Citibank,Mastercard is what you set the PIN with.I have not played FFFXI in a long time now ,but the few times i had to do this with other games,Mastercard was zero problem,it was Visa that i had a lot of problems with.

So you should definitely be able to set a pin using your Mastercard,Citibank has nothing to do with it

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by postpwn

I'm glad to hear about that console workaround. I wanted to return to FFXI and play on both Xbox 360 and PC anyway so now I have a real excuse to buy the 360 version (since I don't have a card with 3-D Secure).

Except with the 360 you have to pay Microsoft to use their Network,with SOE [ya that big bad company]you don't.That is a lot of money Microsoft is making,if they have 50 million Xbox 360 users all paying 15 bucks for online that is what 750 million dollars??More people should send in complaints.no way Microsoft should be getting away with this.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• postpwnpostpwn Member UncommonPosts: 87

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by postpwn

Except with the 360 you have to pay Microsoft to use their Network,with SOE [ya that big bad company]you don't.That is a lot of money Microsoft is making,if they have 50 million Xbox 360 users all paying 15 bucks for online that is what 750 million dollars??More people should send in complaints.no way Microsoft should be getting away with this.

For FFXI you don't need Xbox LIVE Gold. I am an Xbox LIVE Silver member and do not pay annually for Gold.

Xbox LIVE Gold is not $15 a month. It is $40-$50 a year.

• rodierrodier Member UncommonPosts: 38

LIVE GOLD is for
    - game can be installed on HDD
    - u can play multplayer games
    - download some extraz

but hey ppl.. my friend told me, if you access registration via Playstation 2, you can add normal CC .. so find mate who plays FF11 PS2 version.. and he can manage your account via PS2 (even if your account is PC version) and add CC..everything

Rodier, icq 10905813

• GameFarmerGameFarmer Member Posts: 18

I was fine on my regular account by adding the new feature, UNTIL..... our daughter began to play with us. We got the account setup with the new secure feature, and everything was fine until the bill came due. Our accounts were suspended without any notice.

We never got the situation ironed out and just quit. We had called Mastercard and they claimed they were aware of a problem with allowing the transaction on their end, but POL was denying it everytime, and kept trying to re-bill for the same amount over a period of 4 days.

We have the card setup for 3D secure, and POL claimed we werent, but kept trying to bill us.

I like FFXI as much as the next, and think fairly of SE, but since last year, they cant get their crap together.......

• B1ightB1ight Member Posts: 109

i have the same issue atm.. can't get my master card to work.. SE blames me, my bank blames SE.. I use the card everywhere but with POL.. SO i'm going to assume it's their crappy software.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

I just bought the game and it won't accept my credit card, one I've been using for over 10 years, basically everywhere and I've never had a problem with it until I tried to register and PAY for this game, and they have made that impossible.  Talk about a company who wants to commit suicide.  What drugs are they on over there?

I'm going to have to go back to the store and return this game now, as it's useless to me now.  What a pain in the ass.

I called Visa's main number, and after putting my card number into the phone, it re-directed me back to Sovereign Bank's tech support again, and out of the 2 times I called, neither customer service rep every heard of "Verified by Visa", "3-d security"-whatever, etc., so, I'm basically out of luck.  I'm NOT getting a new CC because only one company in the world, that I've come across, will not accept it.  Screw them.  I need to go out of my way to pay for something?  Uhm, NO.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by micjackson

Guys listen, there is an easy way around this 3-d secure bull @%@$.  All you have to do is either buy the console version (you don't even need codes if you already have them on the pc version) or find someone who does have the console version and log in playonline from the console.  The console versions still do not use the 3-d verification system, so basically you can sign up with any card you want (Visa or Mastercard i'm assuming).  So don't get pissed off, just go around it.

Are you seriously suggesting that a customer buy TWO copies of a game in order to play it?  Why should a customer need to go through ridiculous hoops like this in order to use a product. No thanks.

I hope NO ONE takes your advice, as you are rewarding a company with even MORE money than they deserve, for doing something WRONG to begin with!

If a company produces crap, in any form, they don't deserve a DIME of your money.

• RproRpro Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by HappyFunBall

I just bought the game and it won't accept my credit card, one I've been using for over 10 years, basically everywhere and I've never had a problem with it until I tried to register and PAY for this game, and they have made that impossible.  Talk about a company who wants to commit suicide.  What drugs are they on over there?

I'm going to have to go back to the store and return this game now, as it's useless to me now.  What a pain in the ass.

I called Visa's main number, and after putting my card number into the phone, it re-directed me back to Sovereign Bank's tech support again, and out of the 2 times I called, neither customer service rep every heard of "Verified by Visa", "3-d security"-whatever, etc., so, I'm basically out of luck.  I'm NOT getting a new CC because only one company in the world, that I've come across, will not accept it.  Screw them.  I need to go out of my way to pay for something?  Uhm, NO.

SE added the whole Verified by Visa BS in the last year or so. I registered a new account about a year ago after taking a long break and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to get it setup on my visa account. I don't know why you're having such a hard time with it. And a big LOL at the 'helpful' service reps at your bank that don't even know what Verified by Visa is.

• TwoofyTwoofy Member Posts: 1

Hello,

This security mechanism is really unfortunate.

On e-commerce websites, I would never use it.   It usually is implemented in a pop-up window or an i-frame that requires entering your username/password.  If I see that on a site, I won't do business with them.   We spend all this time telling people not to enter their username and passwords into websites other then the one it belongs to - and here they go asking users to do just that.

FFXI is a bit different from that perspective, because it is unlikely that someone would be able to phish this out of their system.

However, what concerns me the most about this is the number of places where I have read that this limits Visa or Master Card's liability in the event that someone makes a fraudulent purchase using 3-D Secure technology.  Regretfully, I cannot absolutely confirm this - I almost hate to say it.

I do not know when the account I have on file will need to refreshed, but that will be the end of my FFXI experience if it requires using this absurd 3-D Secure technology.  How sad.

- Twoofy

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Well, SE is making so much money on Subs from FFXIV, they decided to be more selective of who they take money from....er wait a minute ;-O

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Well shoot, I was just about to try FFXI again; I retired from the game in 2005, having played since NA release. I've been told the game has changed a great deal over the past five years or so.

And then I saw this thread. Not only does Square continue to use that annoying PlayOnline rubbish, and not only is their customer service as awful as ever, but I now have to jump through 3-D Secure hoops in order to pay them a monthly fee? I'm sure I could arrange to use the service, but frankly, it's against my principles to reward a company for making it as inconvenient as possible to deal with them and use their product.

Seems like ever since World of Warcraft became popular, nearly every other MMORPG developer just started phoning it in.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by spankybus

Well, SE is making so much money on Subs from FFXIV, they decided to be more selective of who they take money from....er wait a minute ;-O

LOL.. honestly though its sad such a great company sucks balls now. I'm done with square-enix products.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Well, I'm in all likelihood done buying new Squeenix products, that's for sure.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for PSP suffered from severe animation lag and Godawful sound downgrades, Final Fantasy XIII was a major disappointment, Final Fantasy XIV has so many problems they publicly admitted it and made it temporarily free-to-play....

Still, the Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together remake is a must-buy for me, if they don't screw it up as they did with WotL. (Originally, TO was developed by Quest, so strictly speaking it's not even a Square game.) After that, though, I'm not sure when or if I'm going to buy another Squeenix game.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR