Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it me or is this email a scam either way?

ruvokaruvoka Member UncommonPosts: 42

Recently I got 2 emails that read:

When you receive this message at the same time means that you have a routine account of our recent examination, was checking your account we have the evidence to prove that involved in the controversial game currency transaction so we had to take the necessary measures.

Please visit our web site      as soon as possible to activate your account or we will suspend your account.

The NCsoft Team

Let me say that I stopped playing 3 months after release and was shortly there after hacked.  NCSoft did  nothing to rectify the problem and eventually I gave up.  This e-mail is either another phishing attempt from someone who doesn't know I was already hacked, or even worse.... It's an e-mail from NCSoft saying that I need to reactivate my account or it will be banned.  Doesn't that sound shady?  Give us money now or you can never come back.

I'm so sad NCSoft is workin on GW2.

EDIT: Ya, I must be higher than I thought.  After reading it again I thought... just because the game feels like an asian grinder, why does that mean their CS wouldn't have a good command of the english language.  Also, I removed the link so someone even more stupid than myself doesn't click on it.

Comments

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

I think it's phishing for your account info.

The only place you should ever have to go to check your account is plaync.com or http://us.ncsoft.com/ if your in the US.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

NCSoft has nothing to do with the development of GW2. They're only the planned publisher.

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

I could tell is was bogus before I even finished the first line.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by ruvoka

When you receive this message at the same time means that you have a routine account of our recent examination, was checking your account we have the evidence to prove that involved in the controversial game currency transaction so we had to take the necessary measures.

Please visit our web site   http://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/plaync%9&4&457rguu3b9a5_login.pl    as soon as possible to activate your account or we will suspend your account.

The NCsoft Team

Let me say that I stopped playing 3 months after release and was shortly there after hacked.  NCSoft did  nothing to rectify the problem and eventually I gave up.  This e-mail is either another phishing attempt from someone who doesn't know I was already hacked, or even worse.... It's an e-mail from NCSoft saying that I need to reactivate my account or it will be banned.  Doesn't that sound shady?  Give us money now or you can never come back.

Easy ways to tell that address is a phishing attempt. First its HTTP. A secure site is HTTPS. Never, ever enter sensitive info on a HTTP address. Everyone can see it.

Secondly mousing over that link you can tell it takes you to a website called ncsoft-security. Legit links will not have different addresses from their source.

Thirdly, the English is horrid. How can you not spot that right away?

The first two signs may not be common sense, but the last one is.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by ruvoka

Please visit our web site   http://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/plaync%9&4&457rguu3b9a5_login.pl    as soon as possible to activate your account or we will suspend your account.

The NCsoft Team

It seems pretty off to me (fake).  The language is unclear.  They are going to suspend your account unless you activate it?  This suggests it is already suspended.  They didn't say ban.  They would also say suspicious game currency transaction. . not controversial. 

I have also found that most companies when contacting you about an account will list the account name in the email. . some people have multiples etc.  maybe you just left that out though.

it is possible that the poeple they have sending out e-mails are not used to speaking (typing) English but even then they would generally use a form e-mail that is edited and proof-read.

It seems to me like someone used a translation web site and mass mailed.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I have gotten this identical message for Aion as well as World of Warcraft. You notice no reference to your user name and when you click on the link it re-directs. it is a fraud to collect account info. I reported it to Blizz and NC soft.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

I have had a few of these for Aion but get them almost daily for Blizzard/WOW.  I actually got 2 yesterday.  Any email that asks for you to login and do something is fake because none of these companies will ask you to do that.