Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 MMORPGs right now?

What are the 5 most played MMORPGs right now? (other than wow of course)

Comments

• nomadpsycho4nomadpsycho4 Member Posts: 7

in terms of population.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

no idea but i'd say:

Eve, Aion, Lotro, AoC, FE......not necessarely in that order.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Chart only goes to 2008 :/

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

wile the chart looks cool it's a bit dated.

there is no mention of Aion or AoC. it would be nice to get a chart up to 2009.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Think WoW is 1st and after that Aion, EvE, LOTRO, AoC, FFIX, don't know the order tho. Ye I know it's 6 games not 5.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Think WoW is 1st and after that Aion, EvE, LOTRO, AoC, FFIX, don't know the order tho. Ye I know it's 6 games not 5.

4 of the top 5 are WoW, Lineage 1, Lineage 2, FFXI. I think the other is Dofus or Aion, not sure which it is.  AoC/LOTRO/EVE are not in it.

WoW

Aion

Lotro

EVE

Rune Scape

is my gyess

Lineage 1 is still popular?

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

There are like 4 games with over 1 million subs. WoW, Lineage, Lineage 2, and one I can't remember. That's for certain. LOTRO and EVE aren't there in sub numbers ppl.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Depends where in the world we're discussing. If we're discussing the entire world I think we would be somewhat surprised with the overall results. In America obviously the top MMO would be WoW. It however isn't the top MMO everywhere. Last I checked, Lineage 1 was the most popular in Korea.

Personally I find it difficult to speculate.

I suppose if I had to guess for the top paid five in America I would choose:

1. World of Warcraft
    2. EvE Online
    3. Age of Conan
    4. Fallen Earth
    5. Everquest 2

Hell, I am probably way off, but it's my guess!

Subscription Base. This is a dumb question, but if you live in the U.S., do you only play on U.S. servers or are the servers international?

Originally posted by Blazeyer

There are like 4 games with over 1 million subs. WoW, Lineage, Lineage 2, and one I can't remember. That's for certain. LOTRO and EVE aren't there in sub numbers ppl.

yeah, Lineage 2 and 1 only have 1m+ in asian servers so people usually don't count them.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

depend if you count asian games or not.  Lineage 1 is still quite big in the east and have more population than lineage 2.

Usually during the release of new chinese MMO, it's population will peak and quickly fall.  There is 1 chinese MMO, that claim to have 2 million concurrent players online, but I think it's only during its initial release, and they use that in their advertisement.

But unless you actually play asian MMO, I dont' think it matters.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I only pay attention to subs in NA and EU areas.

Last time I looked it was WoW, FFXI, Eve, Aion, Lotro in that order.

I think the 500k subs FFXI has also counts asian subs if so scratch it off the list and add EQ2 at the end.

Anyway none of this sub shit matters in judging quality or how fun a game is to the individual player.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

The top 5 are, in no particular order:

Copernicus, FFXIV, War 40k, GW2, SWTOR.

They also happen to not be released.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

variable depending on country!in usa the number one is wow

in france its dofus

in northern europe its rune of magic

in korea its aion

all country have different game for number one so asking the top 5 it depends where you like lol

one thing is sure ,wow is big only in america and asia!not anywhere else!everywhere else they just pull in regular number like

a f2p game would pull in usa!

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Rockgod99

I only pay attention to subs in NA and EU areas.

Last time I looked it was WoW, FFXI, Eve, Aion, Lotro in that order.

I think the 500k subs FFXI has also counts asian subs if so scratch it off the list and add EQ2 at the end.

Anyway none of this sub shit matters in judging quality or how fun a game is to the individual player.

Mind if I ask where exactly it was that you looked that gave a definitive answer....

Except for the 'my guess is....' posters, most of you are pulling numbers straight from your butts and acting as if you actually know....no offense; I don't think anyone was being malicious, it is just that these numbers are generally kept secret by companies,the only thing slightly verifiable right now is that WoW has the highest population. But even then, people are speculating its declining pop since Blizzard has been pretty closed lipped about subs in the last few months.

So that said, my guess....

1. WoW

2- 5. some Asian games in some order - probably Aion and Lineage in there.

All the above with over 1 million active subs.

My secondary guess.....

AoC, EVE, WAR, EQ2, LotRO are all in a second tier - not one over 500k; maybe not even over 350k or as low as 200k-ish. The idea that EVE is in the top 10 populated mmos - that amazes me;.....I'd have to see some hard numbers; I'm skeptical beyond 350k.

EVE is an amazing success story. But it doesn't hold a candle when compared to say EQ's first 5 years of success with similar beginnings. (independent dev who had steadily increasing pop). EQ topped out at over half a million- I'm not sure EVE can claim that yet. Many even speculate that EQs population is still better than EVEs (i'm skeptical of that). But EVE is WAY more popular on mmorpg.com than it is to the general public.

-----------------------------------

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Originally posted by Rockgod99

I think very few chinese actually play FFXI. It's mainly Japanese, Euro, and NA.

Reason is there is no chinese version of FFXI.  It's hard to even register for FFXI for the chinese.  And for what I know, NA FFXI don't accept 95% of the chinese credit card.

I send in a ticket about this, and their response is while they don't block chinese player.  They arn't supported, so will have a tough time register/paying for the subscription.