Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developers Failure.

I've played so many MMORPG's however all of them are the exact same, and when new ones are released, they don't learn from the mistakes of the old one but just make a similar thing. 

What MMORPGS Need

- RPG!! there is almost no role playing involved, no story just pointless errand quests.

-a good combat system, not just that rubbish 'click to kill' system, maybe it should actually be fun to engage in combat!

-New ideas, all mmorpgs these days are about some gods fighting, or your in some endless battle with another guild, and has that same Asian setting.

-Your involvement, Your Character is just another character, limited character customization(Excluding perfect world) and it feels like your character almost has no importance to the story of the game. 

-Better Presentation, Disgusting presentation of the game with, rubbish User interfaces and graphics.

-Unique, all the mmorpgs are pretty much the same, mmorpgs should try to be Unique!

Comments

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

EVE is pretty unique and perfect for roleplaying. In fact, in EVE, you cannot *not* roleplay. You do it without actively doing it.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

- RPG!! there is almost no role playing involved, no story just pointless errand quests.

Not everyone likes to role-play, so orienting a game strictly towards role-players ostracizes players. Not a good business objective.

-a good combat system, not just that rubbish 'click to kill' system, maybe it should actually be fun to engage in combat!

Heh, maybe it should be fun to engage in combat? I think every game developer attempts to make combat engaging and fun. Due to so many different tastes and opinions, it is very difficult to make a formula that pleases the majority.

-New ideas, all mmorpgs these days are about some gods fighting, or your in some endless battle with another guild, and has that same Asian setting.

The problem with new ideas is that it increases the business model risk exponentially and investors aren't too keen to shell millions for untested ideas especially with the market the way it is. Eventually it will improve and more risks will be undertaken.

-Your involvement, Your Character is just another character, limited character customization (Excluding perfect world) and it feels like your character almost has no importance to the story of the game. 

The best way to make involvement more exciting is to allow players to make effects to the game world, but these tend to be one time situations. The result is that thousands of players complain because they didn't to be involved even though they payed the same money. Also, making the individual quests or scenarios require ppl to write, code and test each and every one. This takes large amounts of resources and the cost sky rockets.

As for, more customization, I am always for more, but again you have to balance cost, time and results.

-Better Presentation, Disgusting presentation of the game with, rubbish User interfaces and graphics.

See my response to engaging combat. Again, Devs try, but don't always succeed.

-Unique, all the mmorpgs are pretty much the same, mmorpgs should try to be Unique!

See my response to character involvement.

• bdub123bdub123 Member Posts: 16

I am going to have to disagree with you. Many games out their let you customize your characters appearance greatly. Some even to an extent that it is ubsurd in my opinion. Also you say there are no unique games out there. Tons of games exist that are wide ranging; WoW, EvE, Global Agenda,Pirates of the burning Sea and many more. For the RPG part I do have to agree most games could put a bit more work into making cooler and more important quests. Now for your character effecting the game world it could be done more but it is done to a limited extent. Warhammer, global agenda and EvE all have characters impacting the world. For graphics I can't do anything there. I think there are some incredibly beautifully designed games out there.

Owner and Operator www.wikibored.com

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

I would like to see an MMO based on the game Mount & Blade, same concept of combat and progress but in a massive game world. One could the start armies and try conquer the continent with a guild or hire yourself as a mercery or just be a brigand.

However most develepors try what they know works, thats why everything starts to look alike.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Havok2all

Not everyone likes to role-play, so orienting a game strictly towards role-players ostracizes players. Not a good business objective.

Just want to comment this line above, if only people who do not like to role-play leave games with the RPG tag alone we could see the MMORPG genre expand to what it should be again. Think that is ONE of the problems this genre faces is people trying to make this genre into something it should not be, cause the Roleplay part should in fact be a major part in a MMORPG, unless the game just merly calls itself a MMO.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

Well when you log into the game and play your paladin, warrior, or whatever class you play in whatever game you play, you are playing a role that you chose, and then playing with it, so technically and in every sense of the word, you are role-playing.

Even if a game is not RPG, if you play a character in a virtual world that is not you in RL and don't play it the exact same way you would live your RL, then you are assuming a role as you are playing the game.

You don't need to talk, type and act the way your character should to RP, just playing your character the way it was meant to be played is fulfilling your role.

It could be interpreted that the OP just wants a game that's not centered around quests and where players actually play their characters to achieve their goals.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

Much of what the OP is tired of is production. The investors want something with a good chance of return. So these people ask for something WOW-like that will pay off. The developers would love to put out great games with lots of new ideas, but noone will give them money for an untested concept. Developers are held back by their own failure to make WOW.

Will Wright who did the sims and spore can get investors because his ideas made money. This problem of the same game being made over and over is investors. Remove the money folks from the creative arena and we could see some great games. Look at the games put out by indi companies. They are trying different things because some accountant is not standing at their shoulder.

The folks who made Call of Duty don't seem to have much trouble getting investors. (never mind all the law suit stuff) Success is the best recommendation for investors.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by weslubow

Much of what the OP is tired of is production. The investors want something with a good chance of return. So these people ask for something WOW-like that will pay off. The developers would love to put out great games with lots of new ideas, but noone will give them money for an untested concept. Developers are held back by their own failure to make WOW.
    Will Wright who did the sims and spore can get investors because his ideas made money. This problem of the same game being made over and over is investors. Remove the money folks from the creative arena and we could see some great games. Look at the games put out by indi companies. They are trying different things because some accountant is not standing at their shoulder.
    The folks who made Call of Duty don't seem to have much trouble getting investors. (never mind all the law suit stuff) Success is the best recommendation for investors.

1) It is not the investors nor developers dictating what games make money, it is the players. If the WoW-clones weren't making money, there would be no WoW clones thus investors would look into other game concepts.

2) Small studios focus on minor market('niche' games) so that they do not have to compete head-to-head with mainstream, large budget projects.

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by weslubow

1) It is not the investors nor developers dictating what games make money, it is the players. If the WoW-clones weren't making money, there would be no WoW clones thus investors would look into other game concepts.

2) Small studios focus on minor market('niche' games) so that they do not have to compete head-to-head with mainstream, large budget projects.

General rule of thumb: The players are retarded and will buy any crap if you advertise it properly.  They'll get hooked if they don't know what to expect and play it because people keep telling them its a good game when it's really not.  Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Scottc
    General rule of thumb: The players are retarded and will buy any crap if you advertise it properly.  They'll get hooked if they don't know what to expect and play it because people keep telling them its a good game when it's really not.  Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

It is more like rule of dumb...

Simplifying things beyond certain point is no good.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Originally posted by Scottc

Your logic fail.

If that's the case than there'll be no failure in mmo...

RIP Orc Choppa

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Reklaw

Just want to comment this line above, if only people who do not like to role-play leave games with the RPG tag alone we could see the MMORPG genre expand to what it should be again. Think that is ONE of the problems this genre faces is people trying to make this genre into something it should not be, cause the Roleplay part should in fact be a major part in a MMORPG, unless the game just merly calls itself a MMO.

That is just semantic.

Have you heard of the term action RPG? Like Diablo? Some may not want to call it a RPG.

The point is .. who cares what the term stands for 10-20 years ago. Right now, it is mainly about hack-n-slash, and progression in combat power.

And who decide what MMORPG "should" be? You? I would argue that successful developers like Blizz has a lot more credibility to transform the genre into whatever comes next than YOU.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

With WoW continuing to make gobs of money, and unimaginative grinder item shops duping tons of others, all of the studios with a decent budget are racing for second place and releasing nearly the same lame game with a different skin or license because its an easy sell to investors.

The sad thing is that the newer big titles like AoC, WAR and Aion can't even copy WoW concepts properly or finish the game before release. In fact WoW takes what minute innioation these titles do offer and impliments them even better.

Thus the only games that have tried to truly innovate are small indy types like Darkfall which simply do not have the means to release something truly polished.

A lot of people will point to EvE, which I agree is in many ways a masterpiece, but its been out for a long time now and its not all that accessible for the majoity of mmorpg players.

Earthrise seems to have the most promise for people looking for the next game that will offer something different.

• SmufudgeSmufudge Member Posts: 24

I havn't played every mmorpg out there so if there are good ones please reccomend ty,

Havok2all, i agree with all your responses, but i still believe an RPG should be an RPG, they should just stop calling their games an MMORPG, instead an MMO(whatever)

P.S ty for your opinion guys :)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Reklaw

That is just semantic.

Have you heard of the term action RPG? Like Diablo? Some may not want to call it a RPG. Perhaps some may call it that, but it's still has a form of rpg to it.

The point is .. who cares what the term stands for 10-20 years ago. Right now, it is mainly about hack-n-slash, and progression in combat power. For some people it might mean that, for some it doesn't mean just hack-n-slash. But who is talking about what the term meant 10-20 years ago?

And who decide what MMORPG "should" be? You? Lol of course not, kinda a silly thought to come up with that aint it? I would argue that successful developers like Blizz has a lot more credibility to transform the genre into whatever comes next than YOU. Sorry nothing to argue about, never said that Blizz didn't put rpg into their games, for some reason you must have read more then what I had written, no worries, seems to happen allot on forums where people just make up stuff in replies that in the orignal never where said or mentioned, you're no exception. I just shared my opinion, which you obviously couldn't read as opinion but for some reason saw this as some sort of fact. And other then as said fact for me doesn't mean fact for everyone, to make that clear