Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The major 3 under NDA... but what will become of them?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

there are currently 3 Major MMO's under development.  and they top the most popular lists at MMORPG.com.

-Star Wars : The Old Republic

-Final fantasy XIV

-Guild Wars 2.

With the recent flow of information on GW2 i finally have come to the conclusion that i have enough information to visualise most of the gameplay of these games.... And while it all sounds very awesome, i have been as enthousiastic over all MMO's in development since EQ and DAoC, of which only WoW could keep me playing for longer then 3 months.

The rest of these games despite being good games could not capture me and many of you around here. Many of these games made the fault of releasing to early. And others where just not enough to my taste.  Currently when i look at all these games, i can come to the conclusion that none could live up to the hype surrounding them.

And while i have a soft spot for these 3 upcomming games in my heart , i am affraid they might dissapoint me again in the end.

SW:ToR is developed by the only studio that comes close to blizzard when viewing their success with fantasy/SF themed games, and the story part might turn this game intoo a brand new experience, also the mob AI and combat sounds promissing. 

Final Fantasy is also a product known for its great stories and the first game still has a huge fanbase after all these years. Great graphics with awesome annimations and a multi classing job system promise a lot. Tough FF combat might be a bit to slow for my personal taste so i have personal reservations about this game.

GW2 has cought my attention with the recent information flow and i did some read ups. The game promises it all the good things from GW are still there (Story telling, competitive PvP, awesome graphics) and add to that the promised world vs world PvP (kinda RvR idea) , the fully open world with minor instancing (WoW idea), characters have full freedom of movement (jump. swim, climb trees) and characters can use objects near to them to their advantage, and did i say how much i love their new magic annimations

But in the end i am afraid that all this hype will make me dissapointed in the end.

What i need is a grade an MMMO that gives me a new fresh MMO experience.  That gets me excited to play again and discover their world.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

But in the end i am afraid that all this hype will make me dissapointed in the end.

What i need is a grade an MMMO that gives me a new fresh MMO experience.  That gets me excited to play again and discover their world.

You are jaded. There is nothing that can wow you anymore. This is no one's fault, it's just human nature.

If you abstained from MMOs for a long time, you might be able to recapture some of awe you experienced when you logged onto your first mmo.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

Thing is sadly with all games today it's wait to see.

• wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80

hate to burst your bobble theres more than just 3  major  mmos  in the works  and not all have NDAs

theres alot of F2p and there are major mmos  the time for   F2p  major mmos is coming   some do have  strict  NDA and some do not  me i like strict NDA and n ot broken any yet  in my  32+ years of gameing

moo all

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by cowhunters

hate to burst your bobble theres more than just 3  major  mmos  in the works  and not all have NDAs

theres alot of F2p and there are major mmos  the time for   F2p  major mmos is coming   some do have  strict  NDA and some do not  me i like strict NDA and n ot broken any yet  in my  32+ years of gameing

None of these will compete with the "big 3".

All I can say, is that I don't think there's too much hype for FFXIV yet. Whatever we've heard of the game, will be implemented. The devs haven't released too much information to be honest, so there's not much really to get hyped about in the first place (if you haven't played the predecessor and know that it's going to be good).

All I'll say is, that slow combat can be just as involving as fast combat. At first it may seem like too slow, due to playing alone and having only few skills to go with.. but as you progress, it can get just as if not more intensive than whatever WoW throws at you.

So open mind is the important thing here.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Thats silly.  What about yourt "Big 1" from a few months ago; Star Trek Online.  So there you have it.  As another has said, these are not the big three.  The only Themepark on that list that has a jump-start on subscribership is FF b/c of the migration from the previous game.

So before one starts throwing around the term "competition", look at the past 3-5 years where not one game is any more competitive against other games than the next.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Thats silly.  What about yourt "Big 1" from a few months ago; Star Trek Online.  So there you have it.  As another has said, these are not the big three.  The only Themepark on that list that has a jump-start on subscribership is FF b/c of the migration from the previous game.

So before one starts throwing around the term "competition", look at the past 3-5 years where not one game is any more competitive against other games than the next.

STO being "big"? I still laugh at people who've said that.

I have my doubts about GW being "big" as well.

Subscriber wise, no one will be able to compete with TOR and XIV though. 

Some game might come behind the corner, but that's an exception rather than rule. The chances are that won't happen.

• maltosmaltos Member Posts: 94

Probe the internet. People in the Alphas and betas have released screens, videos and information on FF14. Itl be good if you enjoyed the first but wanted a slightly faster paced game with the ability to solo here and there. I am just looking forward to being able to jump :)

-Maltos-

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

no idea, havent read jack didly about any of them, hopefully when the time comes i may get into teh open/closed beta phase as everything thats written = nothing at all what the game plays like. For me its how the game plays. Failure to get into a beta, then takes me to word of mouth and feedback fromn players, bad publicity = stay well clear, alias why i have never even touched darkfall. There has never been a trial for it to play test either. STO was a complete waste of time, some like it, i did not. It had no feel of an mmo at all, just a single solo player game feel that was absolutly boring. Warhammer was just missing that umph as i tested it with teh free forever tier 1 (thats lvl 1-10) player mode.

I am not bothered about GW2 as i bought GW but was not impressed and gave up after a couple of weeks playing, especially when you had people calling themselves comefeelme and fuckmenow and other names like that as well as l33t4u etc etc. Havent played it in a couple of yrs and wont either as the only place you saw other people was a town, as soon as you stepped out of it your was instanced in your own domain. Guessing GW2 will be much the same.

FinalFantasy, didnt like teh current one (controls, camera angle) and other things i could ny=ot get to grips with at a friends after he had bought it, yes i spent 2-3 hrs trying but decided i wouldnt bother, he gave up after a couple of days. Hopefully the next one will be much much better.

As for starwars one, god it cannot be as bad as STO, will keep an open mind on this as scifi ones dont really interest me, but depends how well and good it has been put together and if the game is fun to play and worth the subscription ammount.

Has anyone played teh single player game Risen at all? I quite liked the combat feel in that game (maybe need a few tweaks and improvements) but that may be good in an MMO i would think.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

If you're looking for a fresh MMO experience, looking at the "Big 3" or whatever isn't the way to do it. They're spending big, they're planning big, and they're not going to risk it all on trying to redefine the genre. And there's far more out there to keep an eye on besides those three, and you're not doing yourself any favours by ignoring them.

My own hope is that their work will result is a very high level of polish, without the glaring flaws that plague a lot of the games that are released too early.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

Originally posted by Mehve

If you're looking for a fresh MMO experience, looking at the "Big 3" or whatever isn't the way to do it. They're spending big, they're planning big, and they're not going to risk it all on trying to redefine the genre. And there's far more out there to keep an eye on besides those three, and you're not doing yourself any favours by ignoring them.

My own hope is that their work will result is a very high level of polish, without the glaring flaws that plague a lot of the games that are released too early.

That depends. If you haven't played FFXI far for example, FFXIV will be a fresh experience. 

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

All I can say, is that I don't think there's too much hype for FFXIV yet. Whatever we've heard of the game, will be implemented. The devs haven't released too much information to be honest, so there's not much really to get hyped about in the first place (if you haven't played the predecessor and know that it's going to be good).

All I'll say is, that slow combat can be just as involving as fast combat. At first it may seem like too slow, due to playing alone and having only few skills to go with.. but as you progress, it can get just as if not more intensive than whatever WoW throws at you.

TERA Online has a good chance of competing with those 3 games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Gameloading

Except that it suffers from a lack of exposure compared to those others, especially in western markets.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Gameloading

Except that it suffers from a lack of exposure compared to those others, especially in western markets.

It is still quite some time from release. Its developers have very good trackrecords.

• heheyhehey Member Posts: 77

I anticipate xiv will be nothing but guildleve after guildleve to level up, this is based on pretty much nothing, theres not much info out there about the gameplay whatsoever except that you get guildleves. I dont know if FFxi was like that (never played). 

"I will Turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

• GeniusSageGeniusSage Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

SW:ToR is developed by the only studio that comes close to blizzard when viewing their success with fantasy/SF themed games, and the story part might turn this game intoo a brand new experience, also the mob AI and combat sounds promissing. 

In what way does SW:ToR combat sound promising? It sounds bog-standard. 

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

I think we should just throw out this notion that there is a big 3 and not to exclude the other ones coming out of the woodwork because usually the truly great ANYTHING ends up coming from where you least expect it. When you look at the big 3, where is this big potential for a great and uniquely separate experience from its own predecessors yet alone in the industry entirely.

SWTOR is basically turning KOTOR into a massive multiplayer. Even the dialogue wheel looks just like the one in Mass Effect 2. FFXIV is FFXI except skills are going to be determined by disciplines and weapons or something to that nature? Scalable instancing isn't that new albeit definitely where the industy seems to start heading. Guild Wars 2 is becoming persistent like most MMO's and still utilizing the same formula hwere you limit the amount of skills every time you leave town with added variety of course.

Not to say these aren't great, but I don't think these are games that are truly going to explode and make large dents into the industry in terms of forwward progression. Don't misunderstand me, I too am excited, but I don't want to pidgeonhole my selections and truly miss out on a great opportunity if something else ends up providing better experiences than these 3.

Let's see what other games are big that are coming out, Earthrise is the first thing that comes to mind. That's probably on the top of my list since the setting hasn't been tried too much and it's got a pretty awesome sounding craftnig system and a very open sand-boxy world to be introduced. Let's not forget others: Secret World, both of Trion's games, Rift and End of Nations, All Points Bulletin, DC Universe, and I'm sure there's plenty others with potential that I'm not quite catching.

Basically, don't get caught up in the hype machines too much or you might miss out on other great games.

Originally posted by hehey

I anticipate xiv will be nothing but guildleve after guildleve to level up, this is based on pretty much nothing, theres not much info out there about the gameplay whatsoever except that you get guildleves. I dont know if FFxi was like that (never played). 

It'll probably be like that. Right now there are 23 templates for different type of guildleves, so variety won't be the problem.

Every game has their "main" way of progressing. In XI it was camping in one spot pulling mobs one by one in a group of 6, In XIV it's through guildleves which consits of combat, crafting or mineral gathering alone or in groups ranging from 2 to 15, going from point A to point B.

While that's the main way to progress your character, it won't be the only activity though. Like with all games. There's one main activity, and then something else to do. Story missions? Likely. Bigger events? Likely.

Originally posted by Jairoe03

I think we should just throw out this notion that there is a big 3 and not to exclude the other ones coming out of the woodwork because usually the truly great ANYTHING ends up coming from where you least expect it. When you look at the big 3, where is this big potential for a great and uniquely separate experience from its own predecessors yet alone in the industry entirely.

SWTOR is basically turning KOTOR into a massive multiplayer. Even the dialogue wheel looks just like the one in Mass Effect 2. FFXIV is FFXI except skills are going to be determined by disciplines and weapons or something to that nature? Scalable instancing isn't that new albeit definitely where the industy seems to start heading. 

The more you look and see how the game works, the less it is starting to look like it's predecessor (XIV). No one who has played it or looked at the leaks would call it  FFXI-clone or anything of the sort anymore. Thats the conclusion I have seen on the (more hardcore) forums dedicated for the game. 

I don't mean to say those games don't have any chance, but budget wise, others have no chance to compare. That doesn't mean "better" game by default, but it surely means much bigger chance to succeed. Money has a big part in developing an MMO, we like it or not.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

SWTOR looks like a standard pve game where you go through the content then quit due boredom at end game. It may have decet replayability since different classes have different stories and moral choices which affect the story. I see it playing out like the recent Bioware games, but with quest hubs and multiplayer pve. Combat will be standard click and watch, but the quests / pve will probably be among the best in the genre as in you hopefully won't see much 'kill 10 troopers'. It'll be a good game with high sub numbers that it will likely maintin due to the IP, but it won't add that much to the genre.

FFXIV - has a ton of fans right off the bat, but it looks like a pretty standard fare pve game. The class system is the most interesting aspect and could mix up the pve grind pretty well. It could also hopefully help solve the forced grouping problem from the first game by making it easier to find the appropriate classes to group with. Recyling the setting from the first game will please some fans, but for people like myself who didn't really get hooked by the first game, it won't really do much to draw people in since its kind of been there done that. The quests will be better than most games, but it will be tough to beat Bioware here. My other concern is the pace of the game in that ffxi was very slow. Clearly there are fans who don't mind this, but the masses prefer to see things move more quickly. A lot depends on the class system implimentation and pace, but due to the fan base and rep the game is practically assured a strong sub base for a long time.

GW2 -The game I am personally looking forward to the most. I am suprised to see some people saying it won't be a big game. The first one sold like 8 million copies which is far more than most MMOs and true many leave, but far more will continually come back than sub based games. They are basically improving everything from the first game, and adding a persistant world so all of the people who didn't like the instancing have something that is very much worth looking at. The philosophy of minimal grind to get to the fun is what propelled the first game to so much success and should serve this game well. The other advantage is that the PVP will be the most competitive and diverse among these 3 games, and perhaps ever. If mass pvp zones are added and work in some RVR like system, the the game could have huge potential. All this for no sub, its really crazy.

Originally posted by Nihilist

Recyling the setting from the first game will please some fans, but for people like myself who didn't really get hooked by the first game, it won't really do much to draw people in since its kind of been there done that. 

I don't quite understand this logic. If you didn't get hooked to the first game, how is it "been there, done that" for you? You haven't obviously been there and done that, lol.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Same races, same classes (yeah I get that the FF tradition), similar looking graphics and world, likely similar mobs. For people who played the first game and did not become long time subs, the world isn't likely to do much to excite them since it is almost identical to the first game.

Its a little strange for the FF series as well since every game takes place in a new universe.

I am not saying this will even harm the game, it just makes it a little less exciting for potential new fans who experienced the first game. A lot is dependent on how the new class mechanics are implimented.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

FF14

GW2

TOR

At least in terms of units sold. Asian MMOs always have more people, since there are far more people in Asia. GW2 will be even bigger than GW, and that was a pretty popular MMO. Sub based MMO can't compete with that.

TOR? Who knows if it will bomb or not. Too many disappointments over the past 10 years. Nothing has been able to take the place of DAoC and/or EQ, imo.

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

The more you look and see how the game works, the less it is starting to look like it's predecessor (XIV). No one who has played it or looked at the leaks would call it  FFXI-clone or anything of the sort anymore. Thats the conclusion I have seen on the (more hardcore) forums dedicated for the game. 
    I don't mean to say those games don't have any chance, but budget wise, others have no chance to compare. That doesn't mean "better" game by default, but it surely means much bigger chance to succeed. Money has a big part in developing an MMO, we like it or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're going to end up terrible or anything. It's just these companies are taking what has been tried and proven for them and tweaking some bits of it, then releasing it adding a feature here and there.

I just don't see why people are considering these 3 games the major 3 when they don't seem to have huge amount of potential to rake in more people. I don't see them becoming industry-changing games. I wasn't saying they're exactly the same, but the formula feels more or less similar to each of the companies' styles.

I was merely pointing out that there is plenty of other potentially great games and we shouldn't be pidgeon-holing the "serious competitors" in the genre with just 3 games when there's plenty of other great prospects to consider.

Originally posted by Nihilist

Same races, same classes (yeah I get that the FF tradition), similar looking graphics and world, likely similar mobs. For people who played the first game and did not become long time subs, the world isn't likely to do much to excite them since it is almost identical to the first game.

Its a little strange for the FF series as well since every game takes place in a new universe.

I am not saying this will even harm the game, it just makes it a little less exciting for potential new fans who experienced the first game. A lot is dependent on how the new class mechanics are implimented.

But it's a bit unfair that the game is being criticized for some things that are not even true.

Long time FF fans have criticized the game for Not having the traditional FF classes and using some completely different ones instead. 

The universe is also different. The graphic style is a trademark for the dev team making the game, just like the recently released FFXIII looks like FFX from many years ago. It is not something out of tradition for the series.

But really, gameplay is what's going to matter. I mean, I'm sure most Warcraft 3 players did not become excited about WoW even though it even shared the same universe (and graphics engine) with WC3. 

And yes, that was sarcasm.

Originally posted by Jairoe03

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're going to end up terrible or anything. It's just these companies are taking what has been tried and proven for them and tweaking some bits of it, then releasing it adding a feature here and there.

I just don't see why people are considering these 3 games the major 3 when they don't seem to have huge amount of potential to rake in more people. I don't see them becoming industry-changing games. I wasn't saying they're exactly the same, but the formula feels more or less similar to each of the companies' styles.

I was merely pointing out that there is plenty of other potentially great games and we shouldn't be pidgeon-holing the "serious competitors" in the genre with just 3 games when there's plenty of other great prospects to consider.

I don't really agree with your statement. Of course they could be more different too, but XIV is ending up doing some pretty bold things which have not yet been tried in the industry.

I understand that most companies tend to to do what's been tried and proven to boost chance of success, but I don't think SE should be considered such company.

They have a track record of trying very unorthodox concepts in the past, which makes them such a hit-or-miss company. I don't see XIV being any different case.

But seriously, if I didn't know any better than I do, I would agree with you. And I don't think what I say will be able to convince you either, which is understandable. You'll see for yourself when the time comes.