Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's and Languages

Johnny5sJohnny5s Member UncommonPosts: 7

Hey guys, as part of my uni course I need to investigate minority languages (primarily occitan) and was wondering if you could share your own ideas on the impact that MMO's and by extension the internet in general has on them.

For example, do you feel it opens a new world of international communication, bringing in new learners and enthusiasm about other languages or are you perhaps a minority language speaker who feels forced to ditch an aspect of his own culture in favour of other languages in order to survive the online experience. 

Any opinions / ideas that you have will be extremely helpful and thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Comments

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

I am versed in 4 languages, my native being one which at most 200-300k people can speak . I learned English early in life, it feels familiar to me. I''ve not have had any problems communicating in English. You may say playing games online only helped me more practice my written English.

I am a crappy speller in all languages I know. :D

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Mi ne sentas ke MMOjn instigi intereso en eksterlinvojn. Cxe tio estas unuavice pro plej MMOjn Dividas personoj en regionoj. Eble iuj personojn volis provi nova ludo se la ludo ne estas en ilia lando, sed plej MMOistoj ne volas iu lugo ke estas ekstera ilia areo.

Ankaux multaj MMO ludistojn estas Unsonaj. Kaj plej Usonajn ne Kari pri iu ajxo ke estas ekstera Usono.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I've got one for you. I started playing Ultima Online back around 1998. Early on I became good friends with a young guy from Taiwan who was over here to go to college. When I first met him his English was rather limited and this especially showed with his written English. He took great care in his spelling but his sentences were simple or fragmented. After about 3-4 years of playing together I realized one day that his sentence structure and vocabulary nearly rivaled my own. Sure it didn't hurt that he was living here and going to school here but I know he learned quite a lot just from socializing in UO. Of course after four years he still hadn't learned that giving the "peace" symbol with his fingers in every damn photo taken of him was the opposite of cool...