Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weekly maintenance... Sigh!

HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Coming from Guild Wars I hate these 'weekly maintenance' halts in traditional serverlocked games such as Aion, WoW and whatever.

Aions maintenance halts are ok compared to others though. Todays maintenance was announced late but even if the announcement said 'no longer than 3 hours' the ingame announcement was: 'no longer than 2 hours' and the game was up in less than 2 hours.

A lot better than WoW, but still, I would love something like the way that Anet handles updates in Guild Wars.

Please; all you developers of traditional realm/server locked MMO's: Think outside the box for maint.

And please, to all those 'A db is a db and you cannot have two running in mirrored mode if one is down' guys out there: Do you seriously think that the banking world shuts down for 6 hours due to weekly maintenance?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
(repeat ad infinitum)

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

so you are saying that out of 165 hours a week that the game is playable you just cant stand the fact that it's down for 3 hours?

do you really play 165 hours straight and then go "damn! now i have to take a brake for 3 hours! i hate NCsoft!" ?.....do you really?

3 hours a week is nothing. lets thank God it's only 3 hours.

• jnserenojnsereno Member UncommonPosts: 43

back in the day, Aion's maintenance used to last for a whole day. It happened once. Or twice. cant remember, lawl

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

so you are saying that out of 165 hours a week that the game is playable you just cant stand the fact that it's down for 3 hours?

do you really play 165 hours straight and then go "damn! now i have to take a brake for 3 hours! i hate NCsoft!" ?.....do you really?

3 hours a week is nothing. lets thank God it's only 3 hours.

Erm no. That is not what I am saying. I am saying that the 'Shut down the realms for weekly maintenance' paradigm could do with a change.

Aion is fine and no, I do not play for more than 12-16 hours a week. Aion maintenance is mostly scheduled during my workhours so this is generally not a personal problem to me. BUT: Other games (such as Guild Wars) have been running for years without the need for total 'maintenance' or update blackouts. A restart of the client is enough to roll out a monthly update.

Why do you feel a need to hang on to or defend an obviously dated mechanism such as 'weekly maintenance'?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Better to have them on top of thing with a weekly maintenance than to have the servers lagging to shit, or the NPC's aren't interacting correctly, etc., because things aren't working as they should be.

Though weekly maintenances are coming down in frequency lately in WoW, and doesn't happen every single week. I'd say most games could probably get away with a bi-weekly, or monthly maintenance, unless they're having specific issues that need to be solved immediately.

Eventually things will most likely be done differently, but I've never really worried about maintenance. The only times I got annoyed were a few times in WoW, where it was my day off, and it was down the usual 5 hours or whatever, then they run into other issues, and say they'll report back with more info in an hour, then still fixing issues, then another hour, then basically the entire day is gone.

But as was said in this thread, nothing like that seems to have been happening with Aion, and it's only down for 2-3 hours, which is better than other games generally.

So in the end, it's already a step in the right direction, and it's really nothing to worry about so much.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Im ok with the weekly main. as long as its done at off hours and not long.  Aion typically keeps it under 2 hours.  I guess if thats what is necessary to keep the game going smooth the rest of the week I can live with it, but agreed it would be nice if they could get away from this type of stuff. 

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Halandir

Coming from Guild Wars I hate these 'weekly maintenance' halts in traditional serverlocked games such as Aion, WoW and whatever.

Aions maintenance halts are ok compared to others though. Todays maintenance was announced late but even if the announcement said 'no longer than 3 hours' the ingame announcement was: 'no longer than 2 hours' and the game was up in less than 2 hours.

A lot better than WoW, but still, I would love something like the way that Anet handles updates in Guild Wars.

Please; all you developers of traditional realm/server locked MMO's: Think outside the box for maint.

And please, to all those 'A db is a db and you cannot have two running in mirrored mode if one is down' guys out there: Do you seriously think that the banking world shuts down for 6 hours due to weekly maintenance?

So you are mad thats at 3:30am you can't play for 2-3hrs? Really? I think thats kinda sad.  Even worst is that you compared online gaming to banking.  I can't believe there is a thread for this.