Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things To Do Without Using Your Weapon?

Hello. Sorry for the vague thread title.

I was in the beta for LotRO, and I played it quite a bit after beta (maybe a month or 2, which for me is a long time!).

I vaguely recall that there were quite a few crafting/gathering professions. But it might have all changed since then.

So what I want to know is:

Are the crafting professions any good? Are they interesting, or just a way to get armour/weapons/etc.?

Is there a lot of grind in crafting?

Are houses a lot of money?

Can you place furnture in your house? Does it go anywhere, or can you just change the 'scheme' of the house? Can you craft furniture?

These are probably simple questions, but I cannot find any straightforward answers online.

Current MMO: None
Previous MMOs: WoW, Guild Wars, SWG, EQ2, LotrO, Vanguard, Matrix Online, AoC, Ultima Online, Fallen Earth, D&D Online, Champions Online, Aion, Rift.

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Mechanicus

Are the crafting professions any good? Are they interesting, or just a way to get armour/weapons/etc.?

Good?  Depends on you.  My son used gathering resources  and the basic crafting (turning raw materials into iron bars for example) as a money making deal and did very well.

Seemed that way with the resource gathering.  I found it difficult to head to a quest spot AND gather resources on the way.  Easier just to do one or the other.

Pricey yes in that you rent vice own them so between the deposit and weekly rent it was a money sink.

Can you place furnture in your house? Yes Does it go anywhere, No, each room has various set sized spots and you can only put something that sized in that spot.  Example; my living room could take 1 large in the middle of the floor be it a table or couch.  I think a small house can only take like 12 items? (which includes the outside yard).  So they're not so much for storing all your loot in (like SWG was), but just as nice looking places.

Something else to do without your weapon is fishing.  My son was mad on fishing; getting the badge for fishing in the different spots, doing the how many in X time limit fishing contest and mounting his smallest / biggest catches to put up on the walls of the house.

Another is Play music as everyone can learn and play the basic instruments.

The game is probably the most RP oreintated of all I've ever played.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• scruffoscruffo Member Posts: 38

Nebless basicially sumed it up, but i would like to add that i enjoyed doing the crafting that doesnt help you in any way e.g i did a lot of farming of pipeweed just for fun cause i liked watching the varying animation and depth of the diffrences between the weeds ;)

i thought age of conan was ment to be new and exciting...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by scruffo

Nebless basicially sumed it up, but i would like to add that i enjoyed doing the crafting that doesnt help you in any way e.g i did a lot of farming of pipeweed just for fun cause i liked watching the varying animation and depth of the diffrences between the weeds ;)

Isn't there also fishing and fish mounting as a hobby?

OP, I do know that the devs put an informal poll of sorts asking players what were some of the top priority things they wanted addressed.

Apparently housing came tops for a good many players so there is a possibility they will address this in the future, maybe even sooner rather than later.

As far as crafting goes, it seems that all are good until you get to the top levels. Then there doesn't seem to be a huge amount for plaerys to do with weapon smithing or armor making.

Making food and potions always seems good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

You can sit around and play music, that was always  fun.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Fishing, smoking, music, crafting, house decorating, if the time is right seasonal events (mazes, races and more), and of course, sneaking off somewhere private for some "roleplay" with a friend or two,

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MechanicusMechanicus Member Posts: 77

Ok, thanks for the info. I think I'll try the trial, and go from there.

It's just a shame I missed the cheap offer that was on a while ago, got to pay full price now :(

Previous MMOs: WoW, Guild Wars, SWG, EQ2, LotrO, Vanguard, Matrix Online, AoC, Ultima Online, Fallen Earth, D&D Online, Champions Online, Aion, Rift.

• motorunmotorun Member UncommonPosts: 29

It's just a shame I missed the cheap offer that was on a while ago, got to pay full price now :(

Actually its available today for 9.99 including 30 days @ http://deals.woot.com/ . I only know because Turbine had a twitter feed about it.

Originally posted by motorun

Actually its available today for 9.99 including 30 days @ http://deals.woot.com/ . I only know because Turbine had a twitter feed about it.

Mmm, tempting. Any idea how long that offer last for? My credit card is maxed at the moment, and they don't take Maestro.

• motorunmotorun Member UncommonPosts: 29

According to Turbine just 24 hours.

Ah, shit. Oh well, I'm not going to pay full price for it, especially after it's been on sale at that price.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Ah, shit. Oh well, I'm not going to pay full price for it, especially after it's been on sale at that price.

If you do a search on Amazon you can find the game rather cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_23?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=lord+of+the+rings+online&sprefix=lord+of+the+rings++onli

Play it a bit and decide if it's worth getting the expansions.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by scruffo

Isn't there also fishing and fish mounting as a hobby?

Fish mounting is done by a vendor, but yep there's fishing.  I hoped to see other hobbies, but it seems they kinda shelved that idea, for the moment.

There's also(at last) a number of useful cooking recipe's for some of the fish you catch.  So it may actually be a profitable venture these days.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by motorun

Mmm, tempting. Any idea how long that offer last for? My credit card is maxed at the moment, and they don't take Maestro.

Donate plasma!

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Hello. Sorry for the vague thread title.

I was in the beta for LotRO, and I played it quite a bit after beta (maybe a month or 2, which for me is a long time!).

I vaguely recall that there were quite a few crafting/gathering professions. But it might have all changed since then.

So what I want to know is:

At least into the mid 30s, critical success crafted (purple) is better than quest rewards, usually even purple quest rewards. .  Also once you hit expert, you can join a craft guild and gain access to even better recipes which are always at least purple quality.  My Jeweler has access to teal quality (teal >purple) recipes at 31.  I don't have any max level characters, so I can't compare epic crafted vs epic quest/raid rewards.

A bit grindy.  Lower levels not so much, but of course as you advance, the grind advances.  You also have to do quests to unlock the next tier.  Some are just FedEx or talk-to-a-guy type, but some require killing stuff, so you'll need help if your craft level exceeds your character level.  Gathering professions automatically advance after you have the required XP, so it's pretty straightforward.  There is a fair market for some materials, so I'd recommend picking up "Explorer" profession so you can gather metal and wood to sell on the auction house, even if you decide to not craft.  All characters can gather leather.  Explorer also has tailor which lets you make medium and light armor.

Cheapest house is around 1g with weekly upkeep of around 50s, and you can pay 6 weeks in advance.  "A lot" of money is relative.  At level 15 that's a lot, but at level 40 not really.  I have the adventure pack for the shared storage, so I don't need the house vault for swapping stuff between alts.

Can you place furnture in your house? Does it go anywhere, or can you just change the 'scheme' of the house? Can you craft furniture?

You have limited number and size of slots for furniture.  There are some furniture recipes, but most of the furniture is bought from NPCs.  Seasonal festivals also sometimes have housing decorations as rewards.  Overall, IMO LotRO's housing is far inferior to SWG or DAoC in customization options, and even fuctionality.

These are probably simple questions, but I cannot find any straightforward answers online.

Hope that helped.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Has the OP never touched the music system?

I got bored of the game itself long before I realised I was paying 15$ a month to jam on the lute. A hint; turn your keyboard into a mock piano through keybinds, and then chart the highest octave to your numpad any way you want. It allows you to jam out chords with left hand and shred solos with the right. Friggin awesome.

I might take advantage of the next free trial session to transcribe some Andy Mckee, it would sound tits on lute.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture