Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do People Hate WoW?

uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

1. WoW decimated many MMOs at launch.

"And it was needed. When we were asked, we were bleeding subscribers.

If I remember correctly, somewhere around 10k a month. LOSING 10,000

subs a month."

-- Dan Rubenfield  Ex-Sony Designer

Where were all those subs going?

27 April 2005 the CU patch was released for SWG

15 November 2005 the NGE patch was released, an extremely radical game over-hall.   So what happened  to make the devs of SWG perform such radical surgery?

World of Warcraft was released November 23, 2004.  SWG was losing 10,000 subscribers a month?  Where were they going?  They were going to World of Warcraft.

WoW caused the NGE.  Many SWG players will tell you the NGE destroyed SWG.

There are a lot of people who loved Star Wars Galaxies.  From time to time, you can see their often times poignant posts in this forum.

If you loved Star Wars Galaxies, I can see you hating World of Warcraft.

And I bet SWG wasn't the only game affected.  Everquest, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot and others all must have lost a large chunk of subscribers.

Secondly, many people will say they hate World of Warcraft because of the community.  Is WoW's community that different from Everquest2's community or Lord of the Rings community?

No.  WoW has a similar community to EQ2 and LotRO.

Okay, why does everyone say WoW has a bad community?

Global chat channels.   WoW has always had at least one global chat channel that a large number of people can be in at one time. 

Say in the general population 1 out of 50 people are jerks.   A channel can handle one or two jerks, the other members of the channel can shout them down or put them on ignore.  But in a global channel with a thousand people in it, you are talking about a lot of jerks.  These jerks can take over a chat channel.

So why do I say EQ2 and LotRO have similar communities?

In the past, EQ2 had no global channels.  The population was segregated into channels by level.  There was a level 1-9 channel, a 10-19 channel and so on.  Chat was silent and the game appeared to be dead.  In channels with such a low population, the jerks didn't even bother to participate because often times they wouldn't even get a reply.

Then Sony allowed everyone to join Level 1-9 chat, the lowbee channel. Level 1-9 chat became the defacto global chat.  All hell broke loose.  Today, Level 1-9 chat is similar to WoW's barren's chat maybe worse.

Once the global channel was introduced, the EQ2 community appeared to be exactly the same as the WoW community.

So what about LotRO?  Everyone says LotRO has the idealic community, mature and what not.  Turbine hasn't implemented any global chats and all these segregated chat channels have few participants.

But LotRO does have a global chat, /glff, global looking for fellowship, it was a chat channel created by players on the Landroval server and most everyone joins it.  /glff can have hundreds of participants during prime time.   And how is it?  It's just as bad as WoW's /trade chat--maybe a tad better.

So WoW doesnt' have a bad community.  WoW has a global chat channel that makes the community appear bad.

Why do people hate World of Warcraft?  When WoW launched in 2004, WoW crushed their favorite games.  People mistakenly believe that WoW has a community that is worse than other games.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Comments

• surstromingsurstroming Member UncommonPosts: 151

because some people want something to hate. wow is big and popular so some people like to hate it, they're rebellious.

its not as fun to hate FFXI(example) because no one cares if you do

yeh I never read the content only the title

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

^This.

Plus, some people have the mistaken belief that WoW changed the MMO world forever, in a negative way. But it's consumers' choices on how to spend their money that changed the MMO, not WoW. If people wanted more sandboxy games like Darkfall or Ryzom, then perhaps they would have more subscribers (of course, it does help to have the advertising power of Blizzard ).

I love WoW, but that doesn't mean I don't also love LoTRO, EQ2, EvE, among others.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Well I don't hate WoW I just don't like things that are Mainstream never have and never will.  IMO Mainstream things will always suck to me compared to underground things, be it music, movies or games. Look what happend to what used to be my 2 favorite punk bands, Blink 182 and Greenday. Both awesome when they were underground, but once they got famous they started making shitty music, but I guess the masses like that kind of thing.  Plus I guess I never liked Warcraft in the first place so and only watched friends play it. To be honest WoW was the first Blizz game I ever played and needless to say I wasn't impressed.

About the community, every mmo has their asshats but when you have 11 million people playing the game of course you're going to run into more of them.  But what I never got is why people in WoW felt the need to chat in the Trade channel like it was a globle chat.  When I did play WoW I ended up turning it off because all of the stupid BS that went on in that channel. 

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

WoW has ruined the potential for variety.  No studio in their right mind is going to spend 100 mil on a game that isn't a a wow like themepark.

You're never going to see an SWG again.  You may get small studios making sandbox games, but the big boys will never touch them.

That is why I hate wow.  It caused the industry to turn away from virtual world games before they got a chance to get it right.

• BNadgersBNadgers Member Posts: 10

(Mod Edit)

Moving on. 

I started off loving WoW.  I read every quest text, still remember getting my first 'greenie' ( [Tigerseye] from a snow leopard outside IF - yes, my first foray into MMORPG's a long, long time ago). But as I played (and expansions were released) I realised how much of a con it was, and how much blizz were asking us to re-run old content.  'What? You mean you've done this dungoen before?  But look! Now the monsters are so much harder, and sometimes the boss has an extra ability to make the same phase fights a totally new experience (!) And you get badges at the end.  If you get a few hundred, you can get a complete set that we'll replace in a couple months to have you do it all over again!!!'

Forget the chat.  I can deal with people talking crap over global channel (anyone remember the CR5's in Planetside?) if the gameplay is good.  But don't insult us by uping the difficulty on content we've seen 10 times before, throwing in a bunch of badges and trying to pass it off as 'endgame content'. 

P.S. (How many people tried to mouseover the tigerseye, just out of interest???)

• nfefxnfefx Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Vindicta

^This.

Plus, some people have the mistaken belief that WoW changed the MMO world forever, in a negative way. But it's consumers' choices on how to spend their money that changed the MMO, not WoW. If people wanted more sandboxy games like Darkfall or Ryzom, then perhaps they would have more subscribers (of course, it does help to have the advertising power of Blizzard ).

I love WoW, but that doesn't mean I don't also love LoTRO, EQ2, EvE, among others.

Maybe if Darkfall and Ryzom didn't completely suck they would have more subs.

It's not that there aren't those of us out there that are praying for a decent sandbox game, we're just not going to pay for a shitty one just because it's a sandbox.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Because WoW has been increasingly been dumbed down to appeal to a wider and wider mass audience. The game continually becomes easier and shallower than it previously was, and the atmosphere of a once inspiring game world is left riddled with non-sensicle plot holes driven by sloppy quest and story design that more and more serves as something to keep players busy rather than immersed.

If that was not bad enough, it is bleeding into other MMOs. Many developers see WoW's success, the subscriber base, the ridiculous profit, and they want their piece. Many great ideas for MMOs, and existing MMOs, have been ruined in their attempted duplication of WoW. Perhaps it's the fault of other developers for trying, but Blizzard's pride on WoW makes them seem like they're so successful purely because of their 'ability'. . Sadly, neither Blizzard nor other developers realize that WoW is an abberition, a freak accident that happened due to the perfect circumstaces all at the right time.

Some might say that WoW is everything that is wrong in the MMO industry. It is setting extremely bad precedents for what is perceived as desired game design, and additionally what is even acceptable business practice. They can get away with a lot of crap others cannot due to their size and the fact that most of their playerbase is nieve and doesn't realize that there are much better alternatives to many of the mechanics in the game.

• surstromingsurstroming Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by BNadgers

(Mod Edit)

Moving on. 

I started off loving WoW.  I read every quest text, still remember getting my first 'greenie' ( [Tigerseye] from a snow leopard outside IF

P.S. (How many people tried to mouseover the tigerseye, just out of interest???)

>_<

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by surstroming

because some people want something to hate. wow is big and popular so some people like to hate it, they're rebellious.

its not as fun to hate FFXI(example) because no one cares if you do

yeh I never read the content only the title

To this, and to OP: it's not that alone. I mean, why do people hate Microsoft more than Apple or Google? (not that there aren't Apple or Google haters)

The largest companies are always the ones to get the most attention, and just like with famous actors and actresses, their (perceived) flaws are magnified as well.  So ofc that those companies or games get more heat, especially if people aren't that wild about WoW but still get confronted with it wherever they turn: it only becomes annoying then.

Plus with WoW came a large influx of people into the MMO genre that on average have a different mindset and playstyle than the population as a whole had before. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it caused the community to change accordingly.

It's like when there's one hugely popular reality TV show or CSI show, and suddenly the channels are flooded with all kinds of reality tv shows and sortlike CSI shows. If you don't like reality tv, then you start to really dislike that hugely popular reality show that started it.

Just speaking in general, I can see the good and bad points that WoW has, just as any other MMO has.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

People hate anything or anyone who is on top. United States, Bill Gates, etc...

It's called Jealousy.

WOW has it's ups and downs. But it is one of the best polished MMOs around.

Like the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. Basically, the numbers don't lie. Many may not like the game, or something else about it. But the subscription shows they are a minority in the MMO community.

It is one of ht easiest MMOs to get into. Many hate it for that reason. But it shows that a majority of gamers love it for that reason. So as a company, go where the money is. And that's what Blizzard did.

You can never please everyone, and in the end. Majority rules.

ADDENDUM: IMO WOW has also increased the female MMO population. My wife and daughter are perfect examples. As well as the wives of friends. They can't stand EQ, EQII and the like. But they love WOW. Blizzard hit the gold mine, they did something right.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

1. I don't see why someone would hate a game because it became easier. Just quit it if you don't like it anymore.

2. Hating wow or blizzard because they are sucesfull again is not too rational. You really want to hate something? Hate the ones that always try to copy it. It's not like blizzard is going around threatening other companies to not try something new.

3. Saying wow players are naive and stick to this playstyle while there are games with better ones is subjective. Some like eve playstyle others like wow one, noone is wrong or right here.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by Fraxture

It's called Jealousy.

WOW has it's ups and downs. But it is one of the best polished MMOs around.

Like the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. Basically, the numbers don't lie. Many may not like the game, or something else about it. But the subscription shows they are a minority in the MMO community.

It is one of ht easiest MMOs to get into. Many hate it for that reason. But it shows that a majority of gamers love it for that reason. So as a company, go where the money is. And that's what Blizzard did.

You can never please everyone, and in the end. Majority rules.

ADDENDUM: IMO WOW has also increased the female MMO population. My wife and daughter are perfect examples. As well as the wives of friends. They can't stand EQ, EQII and the like. But they love WOW. Blizzard hit the gold mine, they did something right.

Quote for truth.

Well said, sir.

• scragcatscragcat Member UncommonPosts: 94

for every 1 person who hates WoW there's gotta be like 100 people who like/love WoW.

I don't hate WoW because Blizzard injected a massive boost of life into the genre.  (well i didn't like the E-sport approach of Arenas but not so much as to call it hate :P )

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I dont hate wow.  I hated a lot of the players and how they acted like a 5 year old throwing a tempor tantrum.

I think a lot of the hate is from folks who might have played then got nerfed, quit and now rage against something the once loved. 

I quit and never looked back.   Sure there are things I missed about it but I never got tied into that game like others did.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

1. I don't see why someone would hate a game because it became easier. Just quit it if you don't like it anymore.

2. Hating wow or blizzard because they are sucesfull again is not too rational. You really want to hate something? Hate the ones that always try to copy it. It's not like blizzard is going around threatening other companies to not try something new.

3. Saying wow players are naive and stick to this playstyle while there are games with better ones is subjective. Some like eve playstyle others like wow one, noone is wrong or right here.

1. After investing significant time in a game and your characters, in addition to making many friends through the game, it's not so easy to just drop it and walk away.

2. Developers try to mimic WoW because their stakeholders force them to. They've set an unrealistic precedent in the industry, and their continuing "success" only fools more stakeholders into investing and pushing developers into WoW clones.

3. They are not wrong for enjoying one thing or ther other. They are wrong however, in assuming that the way WoW does things, is the best way to do things. Most WoW players have never touched another MMO. Those who have, will most likely have tried a half-baked WoW clone, quit, then come back. The problem is that most gamers aren't giving other MMOs a chance, and the ones they are, are the clones that are no better. There are several great game mechanics that are being ignored and forgotten because the masses simply haven't given them a chance. As such, many newer MMOs ignore these features as well, thinking that gamers do not want them, when in reality many gamers have never had a chance to decide whether or not they'd like them.

It's called Jealousy.

That's just ridiculous.

WoW is not a person, it's not even a group of people. It's a f***ing game.

What could someone be jealous about? That WoW has more success than yourself? That people are spending more quality time with it than they're spending with you? Lol.

It's a game, man. Just that, nothing more. A game.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

well for one reason it is easy to hack and customer service is difficult to get ahold of,

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

im going to go out on a limb and say that alot of people are like me when it comes to WoW. we hate WoW because every other mmo gets compared to it, and thats so not fair. every mmo that comes out post WoW, according to yous, has been a clone. if the game shows any sign of individuality, some go on its forums and try to make it more WoWish. i wish i were being sarcastic but im not. EVERY FRAKING MMO! here is a hate list

1) raiding for the first few years felt like a second job, there wasnt much causal play.

2) blizzard tries to please everyone and made them game so imbalanced for a while

3)every game post wow gets compared to wow

5) WoW was the first mmo for alot of people, thus they dont know what else there was before wow. they wont know the joys of EQ, or Shadowbane, or DAOC, or EVE, etc. This brings up my best point.

6) PEOPLE HATE WoW BECAUSE YOU MADE THEM! We pre WoW mmo players know what a good mmo is, and what we want to see. But im sure its alot more of you WoW players than us older players, thus you guys post in every new mmo forum trying to get them to make it as cookie cutter and as easy as WoW. this makes us hate that damn game even more.

for those reasons, this is why games like FFXI, are gems! they have nothing to do with WoW.

[Mod Edit] 

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by grafh

for those reasons, this is why games like FFXI, are gems! they have nothing to do with WoW.

Did FFXI lose a lot of players to WoW in 11/2004?

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by cyphers

It's called Jealousy.

That's just ridiculous.

What could someone be jealous about? That WoW has more success than yourself? That people are spending more quality time with it than they're spending with you? Lol.

Everything is just anything. But people are what give it power. WOW makes more in a year than most 3rd world countries.

Just a game, you are correct. But why are you gettign so emotional about how I measure 'just a game'?

You seem to be very emotional about my statement on 'just a game'.

Don't give it more power than it truely has..

And no offense, but the world puts more stock in money and power than they do 'a person'.

It's easier to replace people....

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Originally posted by BNadgers

(Mod Edit)

Forget the chat.  I can deal with people talking crap over global channel (anyone remember the CR5's in Planetside?) if the gameplay is good.  But don't insult us by uping the difficulty on content we've seen 10 times before, throwing in a bunch of badges and trying to pass it off as 'endgame content'. 

Can you name me -one- MMO that doesn't require you to re-run content when you get max-level/max-skilled?

Every MMO, regardless of what title, whether it's sandbox or not, is not unlimited and doesn't offer completely dynamic content. It doesn't matter if you play a sandbox, that world and things to do, things to kill, is not infinite. Same goes for any other theme-park.

Blizzard releases larger quanities of content faster than any other MMO yet people still complain about running it over and over. I'd hate for you to goto another game that only gets actual content updates maybe once a year (that are worth anything).

The bottom line is: this is the genre. The things people are pointing out aren't WOW specific, they are found in every title in this genre. Here's to hoping for Heroes of Telara and their take on how content cycles will work, and what a user can play through. But no title out right now doesn't require running something or killing something over and over.

• Psycho2kPsycho2k Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Ceridith

Because WoW has been increasingly been dumbed down to appeal to a wider and wider mass audience. The game continually becomes easier and shallower than it previously was, and the atmosphere of a once inspiring game world is left riddled with non-sensicle plot holes driven by sloppy quest and story design that more and more serves as something to keep players busy rather than immersed.

If that was not bad enough, it is bleeding into other MMOs. Many developers see WoW's success, the subscriber base, the ridiculous profit, and they want their piece. Many great ideas for MMOs, and existing MMOs, have been ruined in their attempted duplication of WoW. Perhaps it's the fault of other developers for trying, but Blizzard's pride on WoW makes them seem like they're so successful purely because of their 'ability'. . Sadly, neither Blizzard nor other developers realize that WoW is an abberition, a freak accident that happened due to the perfect circumstaces all at the right time.

Some might say that WoW is everything that is wrong in the MMO industry. It is setting extremely bad precedents for what is perceived as desired game design, and additionally what is even acceptable business practice. They can get away with a lot of crap others cannot due to their size and the fact that most of their playerbase is nieve and doesn't realize that there are much better alternatives to many of the mechanics in the game.

I completely agree with this, WoW was far from my first MMO but the fact so many games want to clone it at the moment is the reason I have no active subscriptions to any game at the minute and havent had for quite a while, probably for the first time since the late 90's.  WoW become so boring, a game that I could play 1-handed while helping my kids with their homework, and thats far from what I personally want from gaming.  I want something to offer me a challenge, something that requires concentration, something with more depth and creativity.

I dont "hate" WoW, but I have grown to dislike it more and more over the years, which is a shame as I was a huge fan of the Warcraft games and lore.

Originally posted by cyphers

It's called Jealousy.

That's just ridiculous.

Everything is just anything. But people are what give it power. WOW makes more in a year than most 3rd world countries.

Just a game, you are correct. But why are you gettign so emotional about how I measure 'just a game'?

You seem to be very emotional about my statement on 'just a game'.

Don't give it more power than it truely has..

I got 'emotional' (if that's what you want to call it, I'd call it 'baffled') by the sincerity with which you made that silly comment, not the game.

I'd have gotten just as baffled if you'd have announced that 'bush is the greatest president Americans could have ever wished for' and meant it.

• SCKing88SCKing88 Member Posts: 1

Well, in a way it is pretty stupid to think jealiousy is the reason. As he said, it is not a person; but a game. How can someone be jealious of a game unless they work for another game company? Your comment simply doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I pretty much hate WoW myself. I have played it, spent some money on it (for a few months)  and still find it to be crap. Am I jealious of the game? No, and that sounds completely idiotic to begin with. Fact is, some people will love that sort of game, others will not; it has nothing to do with jealiousy.

• Spamalot345Spamalot345 Member Posts: 118

Funny thing is... the only folks who care if people hate WoW are the fans of the game, who by their nature would never validate the explanations this thread claims to request.

That's what makes this a trollthread.

Enjoy!